Camera's

but at least I can return. I went to the camera store tonight and looked the underwater/shock proof and i like it a lot. I just really wanted a better zoom (for my daughter's soccer games). So the guy at the store sold me a pentax optio w20 (last years model) for 199 and then a canon powershot s3is (it has the 12x zoom) for 320. Keep in mind I still have the kodak 712 IS on order (it should be here monday!) I have to figure out what to do - as I see it my options are

1. keep the under water one and one of the zooms

2. return all three and buy the underwater everyone here is raving about and forget about the zoom

UGH!!!!!!! I HATE making these type of decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

k

but at least I can return. I went to the camera store tonight and looked the underwater/shock proof and i like it a lot. I just really wanted a better zoom (for my daughter's soccer games). So the guy at the store sold me a pentax optio w20 (last years model) for 199 and then a canon powershot s3is (it has the 12x zoom) for 320. Keep in mind I still have the kodak 712 IS on order (it should be here monday!) I have to figure out what to do - as I see it my options are

1. keep the under water one and one of the zooms

2. return all three and buy the underwater everyone here is raving about and forget about the zoom

UGH!!!!!!! I HATE making these type of decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

k

If you are going to keep more than one, it would be important to me that they all use the same type memory card. I am not familiar with any of the cameras you listed, but I would want to only have to fool with one type card that would be compatible with all the cameras.

card - and I already have 3 - so not a huge issue. Although I just googled the pentax - half the people love and half hate it. Some say the first time it got wet it broke. So I think that is going back to the store. So now I need to decide if i want to pay for a $300 12x zoom and a $300 olympus underwater that everyone is raving about. :confused:

We have 2 digitals. One is the Olympus 720SW waterproof which is great underwater. It is still a lightweight p & s and as long as you don't push it, you will get great results.

My other serious camera is a big Leica/Panasonic Lumix FZ30 with 8MP and a 12X optical. I love to wander the ship taking non-flash pictures in dim light to get the colors that the designers intended rather than the glare a flash picture would return. For that the Panasonic is far superior to any lightweight p & s ( I call this pushing the camera).

Check out my albums below and here is a link to underwater shots taken by the 720SW in StingRay City in Grand Cayman.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/553751019CazvUx

All the pictures on Grand Cayman were taken with the 720SW, the others a mixed bag. The pool pics on the Freedom were done with the 720SW wandering in the H2O splash pool and getting blasted with the water cannons by the kids.

If you are looking for a decent, yet cheap camera, go HERE (Dell) and put it in your cart (Fuji F20). Then apply coupon code PN14SNRZSP3MLZ for 50% off the full price, making it $99. Then there is a $30 rebate HERE, making it $70 total.

The coupon is limited to 500 uses, so if you want it you had best buy first, think later.

OR, THIS one (Fuji A700). Use coupon code

4RXDSXGK$GS2T3....$65.45 with 4.99 Shipping + tax, minus $30 rebate making it just $40 (also only good for 500 purchases, so this will go fast).

For a Canon SD 750 (more pricey), go HERE and use coupon code ZBN9R50H9K2VF5 to get 25% off.

And the Canon SD800 IS (yes!! Great camera....has image stabilizer) go HERE and use coupon code M8MPMDXSCMGJ17 for 25% off (free s/h).

What kind of camera's do you bring with you when you cruise? I am in the market for a new digital. What do you mainly take pics of? Just curious.

I recommend one with a high pixel count (six mega-pixels or more) and as much zoom as can be had and still fit in your pocket. I have a Canon A620 which has a four to one zoom and takes a seven mega-pixel photo. I am also bringing a waterproof (to 10 feet for two hours) camera which has a three to one zoom and is also a seven mega-pixel camera.

I used to take a three mega-pixel camera with a two to one zoom, but I was not very happy with that camera and gave it away. I then used to take a five mega-pixel camera with a three to one zoom. It actually worked fairly well, but I like my A620 better.

I have an eight mega-pixel camera with an eight to one zoom, but it is too big for walking around (which is why I recommend that it fit in your pocket).

HERE is a great website for reviews on cameras. The link goes directly to the camera that you just bought. Personally I would think twice before ordering this camera. It lacks significantly in the out-door pictures department....

The camera you link to is the Kodak P712 but she purchased the Z712. They are different cameras. Now, with that being said, does the Z712 lack the in the outdoor department?

This seems like a nice 7.1 MP 12x optical zoom for the price.

Thanks in advance

My cruise photos (http://www.pbase.com/martinef/explorer_of_the_seas_2007) were taken with a d-SLR Nikon D200.

However, you don't need an expensive model just for that! (In fact, there's some Nikon D70s pictures with a non-expensive 50mm 100$ prime lens in there).

The larger camera (D200) was used for my on-board photos. We used the smaller D70s for excursions, but next time I'm bringing a smaller digicam that's going to fit in my pocket.

I don't have a specific brand or model to suggest but I really would look for the newer cameras that have Image Stabilization/Vibration reduction: allows you to take low-light photos of static objects w/o a flash.

Stay away from too much megapixels. People think more megapixels = better camera but it's a marketting gimmick especially for digicams with small sensors. No more than 6-8 ... and even 4 megapixels is enough for 8x10s and web photos (but you won't find newer models with that so I won't suggest it).

This one is for the *real experts*:

Would you prefer the Canon A570 IS or the Canon SD1000? (and why?)

TIA.

A570 IS, just because it has the image stabilizer. It makes it such that you can take low light shots without getting a blurry image.

Just a head's up: Target just marked quite a few of their cameras 50% off today. An additional 30% off for display and/or open box models. They have the Fuji S5200 from $299 for $149 ($104 for open box), and several excellent Nikons for under $150.00

These will go fast though.

A570 IS, just because it has the image stabilizer. It makes it such that you can take low light shots without getting a blurry image.

Just a head's up: Target just marked quite a few of their cameras 50% off today. An additional 30% off for display and/or open box models. They have the Fuji S5200 from $299 for $149 ($104 for open box), and several excellent Nikons for under $150.00

These will go fast though.

See, this is what is driving me nuts now.

Yes, the one has image stabilizer, which is very important. in almost every way the 570 is perfect.

BUT (and there is always a *but*, it seems), it takes two AA batteries, and ALL of the user reviews that I read say that the time between flashes is excruciatingly long, 5 to 9 seconds!

DAG!

What to do, what to do???

I want optical viewfinder, 7 + megapixels, image stabilizer, good shutter repeat speed, good flash recovery time, good hand-feel (ergonomics), easy to use controls.

Am I asking too much? I'll settle for 3x zoom.

Kathy: there you have it. Big Booper's pix tell the story. If you noted his H2O Zone pix stopped droplets in motion. This camer is great for stop motion capture, vis a vie your daughter's soccer action. It is great for low light no light and everything in between. You won't go wrong with this camera. We looked up the newer 770 model though and it even goes deeper to 30' which now we wish we had, drat:( Keep it and take the action photos and if you don't like it take it back, they will probably be glad to exchange....my bet is you'll never put it down.:D

Yes, the one has image stabilizer, which is very important. in almost every way the 570 is perfect.

BUT (and there is always a *but*, it seems), it takes two AA batteries, and ALL of the user reviews that I read say that the time between flashes is excruciatingly long, 5 to 9 seconds!

DAG!

What to do, what to do???

I want optical viewfinder, 7 + megapixels, image stabilizer, good shutter repeat speed, good flash recovery time, good hand-feel (ergonomics), easy to use controls.

Am I asking too much? I'll settle for 3x zoom.

Personally I very much prefer a camera that takes AA batteries. I have never experienced the lag that you are talking about. Both my Canon S3 IS and my Canon SD700 IS have AA batteries, and I love it. Just make sure you get rechargeable batteries.

As far as the Olympus is concerned that people have mentioned: unfortunately the reviews are less than great. It takes poor indoor pictures and appears to have issues with the screen. It is nice that it is water proof, but you can get cases for the Canon, and several of the other cameras people have mentioned.

I've been spending my extra time in camerashoppinghell. I haven't been pleased with lag time on my old Minolta and yesterday I learned from condescending geek sales person that more important than batteries is the speed of the memory. I've been using standard speed :o and of course he sold me up to ultra speed and claims I'll be better now.

We'll just see. :rolleyes:

Correction on my post abolve: my SD700IS does not take AA batteries. That may be a camera for you to consider if you have concerns about that. The poster above is right though in stating that the speed of the memory card is important. ;)

As far as the Olympus is concerned that people have mentioned: unfortunately the reviews are less than great. It takes poor indoor pictures and appears to have issues with the screen. It is nice that it is water proof, but you can get cases for the Canon, and several of the other cameras people have mentioned.

Some people will complain about anything. You could have a perfect product and it will still get bad reviews. I have not seen any bad reviews by professionals. I've beat mine up, drug it through the ocean for 5 days, taken it horseback riding, taken it to the pool many other days & have never had anything less than perfect performance (unless it was because of my error). I disagree that the Olympus 770SW takes poor indoor pics. Here's a pic I took in an almost completely dark room of the gala buffet at ISO 400.

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=115983&cdate=20070413&ctime=232931

Given how dark this room is, it came out remarkably clear. If I had set the ISO lower, there would have been even less noise.

Some people will complain about anything. You could have a perfect product and it will still get bad reviews. I have not seen any bad reviews by professionals. I've beat mine up, drug it through the ocean for 5 days, taken it horseback riding, taken it to the pool many other days & have never had anything less than perfect performance (unless it was because of my error). I disagree that the Olympus 770SW takes poor indoor pics. Here's a pic I took in an almost completely dark room of the gala buffet at ISO 400.

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=115983&cdate=20070413&ctime=232931

Given how dark this room is, it came out remarkably clear. If I had set the ISO lower, there would have been even less noise.

Can you direct me to some online professional reviews for this camera?

THIS is the only one I found.... :(

Oops, one more HERE. Wish Steve's would review it though....

I am going to order the stylus 770SW camera and a high zoom. I have the canon and am playing with it - there are a few things i don't like - but nothing big - the kodak should come in the mail any day now. I will play with the two of them side by side and then decide. Earlier in this thread I said I wish i was married so my husband could tell me which one to get - now that I have decided to get both I am glad i am not married - don't want to have to justify the cost of both to a husband.

...I just really wanted a better zoom (for my daughter's soccer games). So the guy at the store sold me a pentax optio w20 (last years model) for 199 and then a canon powershot s3is (it has the 12x zoom) for 320. Keep in mind I still have the kodak 712 IS on order (it should be here monday!)...

Which camera do like the best?

The Canon Powershot s3i or the Kodak 712 IS?

I am looking buying one of those (maybe swing for the Sony DSC H5)

but I will be sure to post when it is. As for the canon - I don't like the size of the screen - to small. And the "natural" place for my finger to go when holding the camera is not where is needs to be to take a picture. So no big complaints - just things I would need to get used to.

Kathy

Correction on my post abolve: my SD700IS does not take AA batteries. That may be a camera for you to consider if you have concerns about that. The poster above is right though in stating that the speed of the memory card is important. ;)

I thought that I had educated myself in all the "bullet points" for selecting my camera, but please explain this one. Please explain "speed of the memory card". Is this a built-in feature, or something that you buy and insert? What should I look for to get the level I need/want? (is this the SD, HD, HDX thingie? - if so, I didn't know that they had "speed" - I thought that they just had memory capacity)

I thought that I had educated myself in all the "bullet points" for selecting my camera, but please explain this one. Please explain "speed of the memory card". Is this a built-in feature, or something that you buy and insert? What should I look for to get the level I need/want? (is this the SD, HD, HDX thingie? - if so, I didn't know that they had "speed" - I thought that they just had memory capacity)

Yes, they have higher speed cards. And yes, they are the SD, xD CF thingies. :D They read and write faster. And speed=$$$.

Yes, they have higher speed cards. And yes, they are the SD, xD CF thingies. :D They read and write faster. And speed=$$$.

Memory cards are super cheap anymore though. It is easy to find a fast 2 GB SD card for around $15.

Memory cards are super cheap anymore though. It is easy to find a fast 2 GB SD card for around $15.

What designation on the card would tell you its speed? 2GB is the capacity, right? Or is it a brand thing? Some brands are faster than others?

Archived