Camera's

For years I have had and LOVED my kodak dx3900 - took wonderful pictures it had 3.1 pix and 6x zoom (2x optical)....the zoom was the only complaint I had with the camera. But it just died. I ordered from Kodak.com last night their new Z712 IS with 7.1 pixels and 12x optical zoom. I paid 300 for the camera and they threw in a 1 GB card for $20. I thought really hard about doing research and even looked at mysimon.com and other website - but I know NOTHING about cameras so the info was of no help to me. But since I loved my old kodak - decided to stay with it - just went with a camera that has a much better zoom.

My brother just got a new one - a sony Cyber-shot DSC-T50 7.2MP Digital Camera in Silver - I played with that for awhile and it was very nice. Has a very cool touch screen display. It was about the same price as the kodak.

If anyone has anything bad to say about my camera - PLEASE TELL ME NOW! It is scheduled to ship April 30 - so I still have time to cancel it. (Of course, if you tell me not to get that one - you have to tell me which one to get. It's time like these I wish I was married!)

Kathy

What kind of camera's do you bring with you when you cruise? I am in the market for a new digital. What do you mainly take pics of? Just curious.

Digital cameras can cost from $100 - $10,000. If you spend between $300 and $500, you should have a very nice camera. In my opinion, the three things to look for are

1. An optical zoom of at least 5X. Optical means the real zoom as provided by the lens of the camera...not using digital magnification.

2. At least 5 Megapixels. The higher the number of Megapixels the larger the photo you can print without distortion!

3. Easy to carry. If the camera is too big, I get lazy and do not use it as much as I wish I would have!

I take pictures of everything. People, places, and things. If my photo or group of photos tell a story, I feel I have done well.

Bill

If you are going to the islands, just buy a cheap point & shoot for now, and wait till you get to port. St Thomas, St Marten, etc are all duty free, tax free, and have TERRIFIC deals on all digital camera's from point & shoot to SLR. They often have packages including 1gb cards, lenses, bags, straps, etc. They are very knowledgable and helpful, and are right near the docks.

I always bring my digital SLR with a normal zoom lens & a telephoto zoom. I also bring a small digital camera. I take a lot of pix around the ship of the various public rooms, my cabin, the sea. I love taking pix coming into port. Of course I take a lot of photos of the islands we visit. Bring extra digital film & shoot a lot of pix.

.... What do you mainly take pics of? Just curious.

1) I love to take pictures of the ship - inside and out.

2) I also love to take pictures of the islands, other ships, and ports.

For the first I would agree to have at least 5 or 6 meg-pix.... the best quality for printing.

For the second, I would advise a fairly high optical zoom.

I got one with 12X O.Z. You can get in close to the items 100 yards or so away, and still get quality.

Kodak makes a really great camera that sells for around $300. I can't remember the model #, but it has 6 MP and 12 Zoom. I think it is the best all around value.

Canon. Any of the digital Elphs (SD550, SD700, etc) are wonderful because they are so small and easy to carry. Plus you can buy special buy cases for them that allow you to shoot pictures underwater (see HERE). Just last week they had the SD800 IS for around $180. Just keep your eyes open. Make sure it has an image stabilizer (one of the most important things in my opinion). Amount of pix is over-rated. You do not need anything over 4 or 5 pix unless you plan to print HUGE poster size pictures. A decent optical zoom is nice, but remember that the larger the optical zoom, the bigger the camera is going to be. Digital zoom is worthless, do not even pay attention to that. If you want a really nice digital camera get a Canon S3. Awesome camera!! One more thing: you can get cameras really cheap here in the U.S. as well (I got my S3 when it first came out for $190 when instore they were close to $600). No need to wait for the islands. Just keep your eyes open, price match and use coupons.

For memory cards, you should be able to find a 4GB one for no more than $20.

What kind of camera's do you bring with you when you cruise? I am in the market for a new digital. What do you mainly take pics of? Just curious.

I just bought about a month ago the new Canon SD750. I love it. It was about $350.00. I bought an extra battery, but mine has lasted quite a while. I leave it in my purse and take pictures here and there. Never had it not turn on. But using it consistantly will I'm sure wear down the battery. It has several different modes.

Sorry just rambling now, but I had an expensive Fuji, and was not impressed. But this little baby, I love.

I ordered from Kodak.com last night their new Z712 IS with 7.1 pixels and 12x optical zoom. I paid 300 for the camera and they threw in a 1 GB card for $20. If anyone has anything bad to say about my camera - PLEASE TELL ME NOW! It is scheduled to ship April 30 - so I still have time to cancel it. (Of course, if you tell me not to get that one - you have to tell me which one to get. It's time like these I wish I was married!)

Kathy

HERE is a great website for reviews on cameras. The link goes directly to the camera that you just bought. Personally I would think twice before ordering this camera. It lacks significantly in the out-door pictures department. If you truly like a camera in that style, check out the Canon S3 IS (review HERE).

Don't buy Sony (everything is proprietary on that camera, and personally I hate that).

Ok, for the 1st time on a cruise, we did bring a camera! We took some pics--still haven't gotten the film developed! We're just not picture people! I find we spend way too much time setting up the "perfect" shot--instead of enjoying ourselves! I figure, if I can't remember it without a photo, it wasn't worth doing!!!

In January I bought an Olympus and then ordered the special underwater housing for it. It works great, ...BUT, unfortunately as great as it is, it does not have a viewfinder!!!! I find that it is sometimes hard to see the lcd screen and a viewfinder would come in handy. I have since been looking at the smaller digital camera, but very few have viewfinders. I sure hope they make a comeback soon.

I do not know anything about your new camera, good luck with it and hope you get great pictures all the time.

Annieeee

We are just Back from a cruise on the VOS. We took My Digital SLR and my wifes Panasonic TZ-1 Digital Camera. We used Her camera (Pocket Sized) for all the Shipboard shots and My DSLR and Lenses for all the Shots on the Islands we visited. Between The two of us we used three 1gig Memory cards.

ISTDS

I have had Sony Cameras for a long time, they were the only ones that saved photos right onto a mini cd providing for unlimited photos on vacation. I switched to Kodak because my husband needed a camera he could use with just his left hand. The C643 has been great. I kept using his camera rather than handle my larger Sony, so I bought a V610 for me. I love it. With memory sticks dropping down in price it is easy to take a lot of photos. I like not using the viewfinder, it allows me to see the bigger picture and not miss the experiance while taking photos.

I resisted going to digital for quite a while, but when I was in Aruba this past November I fell and my beloved Olympus of 17 years finally bit the dust. So DH bought be a Canon SD600 for Christmas and I LOVE it!!!! I'm having so much fun with it and I love editing the photos after I download them to my computer. I am definitely technology-challenged, but I was able to get the hang of the camera and downloading really fast.

When I was researching what kind of camera to get, the majority of people I talked to (camera buffs, store clerks, people who love technology, etc.) recommended Canon to me. Then it was just a matter of deciding if I wanted one that used AA batteries (which made the camera bulkier and heavier) or the rechargeable battery. I did look at cameras in St. Thomas and was not impressed with their prices. DH ordered mine online from a big camera place in NYC (B&H Photo).

I bought a Kodak C643 last year for about $150. Great photos, but is there ever a bad shot when you're in the islands!? This year I am planning to cruise VOTS in the Med, so I decided to upgrade a bit. Chose the Canon A570-IS after visiting every big box store and testing many cameras. The other finalist was Casio, but I need a viewfinder vs. relying on LCD (darn those 40+ eyes, I hate to wear my cheater glasses all the time!) The best thing for me was to get hands-on time with the different cameras, and the staff at the various stores shared great advice.

I always try to get at least one shot of the ship from a hill or a scenic spot - great screensaver and motivation for the next cruise. In general, I just go shutter-crazy and take lots of photos and lots of SD cards - just in case!

Good luck with your new camera and happy cruising!

Liz

I use a Nikon D70 digital SLR. I have a 18-70mm zoom and also a 70-300mm zoom. I take pictures of anything that looks interesting, but mainly landscapes. That's the beauty of digital - you don't waste money on film.

You can get a great digital SLR for under $500 these days! Mine retailed for about $1,000 when I got it 3 years ago. But I've taken somewhere around 15,000 photos with it, so it has really paid for itself in film savings.

As far as quality, Nikon & Canon are probably the best consumer brands. People will argue which is better, but honestly they are equally capable. It's not just the camera that makes good photos. The photographer has to have "the eye" for composing a good shot. If you don't have an artistic bone in your body, you may as well go with a cheap pocket-sized digital cam.

I also enjoy B&H Photo as "emilygrace" mentioned. I've used them for several purchases. You can clink the 'Navigator of the Seas" link in my signature, to see some photos I took during our last cruise.

Since my nature photographer wife has a number of Canon DSLRs and lenses from 10 to 600mm, I decided to go a slightly different way for my "cruise cam". I just got the very highly rated Canon HV20 high definition camcorder. With a 10X zoom going out to over 400mm and the ability to take both high definition video and still pictures at the same time, I thought this little 1.2 pound camera was perfect for travel.

With a 2GB Mini SD card it can store around 800 photos. The camera uses mini DV tapes that hold 60 or 80 minutes. I plan on taking 10 tapes for my 7 day Alaska cruise. The camera, extra battery and a couple of tapes fit nicely in a belt pouch.

The camera is not cheap at around $1000, but is the best consumer video camera on the market for at least this year.

Before you run out a buy duty free in the islands, be sure the warranty will be honored in the US. Many companies have US divisions that may or may not honor warranties of products brought in from outside the country even though it is their product. For instance, Nikon USA may not honor the warranty on a genuine Nikon product brought in from Asia or Europe. They will be happy to repair it for you, just not under warranty. Something to think about and ask before you buy. (As if they'd give you a straight answer anyway)

Since my nature photographer wife has a number of Canon DSLRs and lenses from 10 to 600mm, I decided to go a slightly different way for my "cruise cam". I just got the very highly rated Canon HV20 high definition camcorder. With a 10X zoom going out to over 400mm and the ability to take both high definition video and still pictures at the same time, I thought this little 1.2 pound camera was perfect for travel.

With a 2GB Mini SD card it can store around 800 photos. The camera uses mini DV tapes that hold 60 or 80 minutes. I plan on taking 10 tapes for my 7 day Alaska cruise. The camera, extra battery and a couple of tapes fit nicely in a belt pouch.

The camera is not cheap at around $1000, but is the best consumer video camera on the market for at least this year.

Or get it HERE for $779, which also includes a $100 case.

Canon. Any of the digital Elphs (SD550, SD700, etc) are wonderful because they are so small and easy to carry. Plus you can buy special buy cases for them that allow you to shoot pictures underwater (see HERE). Just last week they had the SD800 IS for around $180. Just keep your eyes open. Make sure it has an image stabilizer (one of the most important things in my opinion). Amount of pix is over-rated. You do not need anything over 4 or 5 pix unless you plan to print HUGE poster size pictures. A decent optical zoom is nice, but remember that the larger the optical zoom, the bigger the camera is going to be. Digital zoom is worthless, do not even pay attention to that. If you want a really nice digital camera get a Canon S3. Awesome camera!! One more thing: you can get cameras really cheap here in the U.S. as well (I got my S3 when it first came out for $190 when instore they were close to $600). No need to wait for the islands. Just keep your eyes open, price match and use coupons.

For memory cards, you should be able to find a 4GB one for no more than $20.

My husband surprised me on Monday (my birthday!) with a new digital camera. He's pretty geeky and usually researches everything he buys. It's a Canon PowerShot SD1000. 7.1 mega pixels, and he added 2GB memory card. I haven't really had an opportunity to play around with it much, but I've taken a couple of pictures. It's exactly what I wanted; a small, point and shoot, that will take a crisp picture.

I'm going to have to get one of those cases! I'm worried about it getting wet at the falls.

I'm going to have to get one of those cases! I'm worried about it getting wet at the falls.

Awesome, you will love that camera. Make sure you get the underwater case for your particular model. You will be so happy with it!

Archived