Need honest opinions about Godfrey's...

RzrLens

We basically made a few stops going up the mountain, stopped at Mountain top, drove around as he showed us some of the local things, and then he dropped us off at the beach. We did not stop at the castles, but he did point them out. They charge for you to even get into the castles, so I don't know how grand a stop there would have been regardless. Saphire Beach had great snorkeling to the right and the scenery was to die for. We absolutely LOVED the tour and thought it was worth every penny we paid.

We basically made a few stops going up the mountain, stopped at Mountain top, drove around as he showed us some of the local things, and then he dropped us off at the beach. We did not stop at the castles, but he did point them out. They charge for you to even get into the castles, so I don't know how grand a stop there would have been regardless. Saphire Beach had great snorkeling to the right and the scenery was to die for. We absolutely LOVED the tour and thought it was worth every penny we paid.

THANK YOU for your very prompt reply and wonderful pictures. I guess the website is a bit decieving because they imply that you will make many stops. Still worth the great price and convenience.

THANK YOU for your very prompt reply and wonderful pictures. I guess the website is a bit decieving because they imply that you will make many stops. Still worth the great price and convenience.

Yeah I think we made about 4 stops in all, 3 of which we were able to get out of the bus. It doesn't stop specifically AT the locations, but you are at overlooks that look out over the areas. It is DEFINITELY worth the money we paid, and I would book it again in a heart beat!

Totally unimpressed with Godfrey Tours.. we didn't have Godfrey and let's just say the day was a fiasco.. and the bathrooms at Mountaintop were hideous ... I would not do this tour again unless I was certain it was the "real" Godfrey and not one of his other trucks. IMHO it was just a good thing it was so cheap. Been going to St Thomas on ships since 1987 and this was worst island tour .... and I've done several bec. folks with me had not

Totally unimpressed with Godfrey Tours.. we didn't have Godfrey and let's just say the day was a fiasco.. and the bathrooms at Mountaintop were hideous ... I would not do this tour again unless I was certain it was the "real" Godfrey and not one of his other trucks. IMHO it was just a good thing it was so cheap. Been going to St Thomas on ships since 1987 and this was worst island tour .... and I've done several bec. folks with me had not

Wow I don't know what to tell you. Sorry that you had a horrible time. I've been on 3 cruises so far, all to different ports, and this was by far the best port and the best excursion I have ever booked. The bathrooms at Mountain top are not Godfrey's fault, and would still stay that way regardless of the tour guide you used.

What about restrooms while on this tour??

Obviously there are none in his truck, so you are stuck with whatever is available to the public. I think there are bathrooms at Saphire beach, although I did not use them so I am not 100% sure. Not sure about the other 2 beaches he offers to drop you off at.

We shopped for a while and did not run across any public restrooms... however that did not mean there was not one available (we weren't really looking for one). I am sure some of the local cafe's will have restrooms, but you might have to make a purchase to use it. Sorry I am not much help. I am sure Godfrey would be able to tell you about if there is a specific place. He always responded to my emails.

Just got back from our cruise... Godfrey was AWESOME!!! Well worth the money, and DH even said he would be willing to pay more just because it was so great! The picture stops are PHENOMENAL and I have breathtaking pics to prove it! We chose to be dropped off at Saphire beach and LOVED it. We both fell in love with St. Thomas and are hoping to return soon. If you are thinking about booking with Godfrey, don't hesitate, you won't be disappointed!!!

Hi there, we are going to be seeing Godfrey in Jan on our stop there! Is there anything that we can bring him that he would like or need?? Is there people/kids there that we can give out school supplies and stuff? or is that not recommended?

I cant not wait to do this tour I have heard so many good things about this guy!

cheers

Laurie

I was there 3 months ago and 4 of us choose Godfrey, go to godfreytoursvi dot com for more info. He offers a very nice tour with options from which you may chose. You may chose to go shopping and for either 1, 2 or 3 hours and he will then pick you up and begin your tour. If you wish he will place your packages, camera etc. in the cab and lock it up while you are at the beach. We chose to go to Coral World and he gave us discount coupons worth $4 each reducing the tour price there to $14 each. There were 2 or 3 beaches which you could chose to go to as well. After that he will pick you back up again and return you to the ship. It was a most interesting tour of the island and well worth the price. We would most definitely use him again.

Randy

How did you guys like Coral world? what exactly was there?

How did you guys like Coral world? what exactly was there?

Since we only live about 2 miles from some beaches, we decided to go to Coral World instead. Their web site is coralworldvi dot com, look there for a sample of what is there. We were not expecting as much to see as what there is, a variety of animal and plant life. It was a pleasant place to stroll around at your own pace, many photo opportunities, a place there to buy lunch, ice cream, cold drinks, covered picnic tables to relax at and some rest rooms. A good value for the price and some more pleasant memories.

Below my signature you will find smugmug, click on that and go to Jewel (Mustard) of the Seas and click on that. Click ahead to page 10 for pix of St. Thomas and then Coral World is from page 11 - 14, I hope this is of some help to you, enjoy.

Randy

Can you elaborate on what was a "fiasco"? The only thing you mention are the hideous bathrooms which as RzrLens said isn't Godfrey's fault. We have used Godfrey in the past and are booking with him again.

Since we only live about 2 miles from some beaches, we decided to go to Coral World instead. Their web site is coralworldvi dot com, look there for a sample of what is there. We were not expecting as much to see as what there is, a variety of animal and plant life. It was a pleasant place to stroll around at your own pace, many photo opportunities, a place there to buy lunch, ice cream, cold drinks, covered picnic tables to relax at and some rest rooms. A good value for the price and some more pleasant memories.

Below my signature you will find smugmug, click on that and go to Jewel (Mustard) of the Seas and click on that. Click ahead to page 10 for pix of St. Thomas and then Coral World is from page 11 - 14, I hope this is of some help to you, enjoy.

Randy

thanks the pics are nice, can't wait to get back there!

Is he waiting for you at the port? If not how do you find him?

I've never been to St Thomas, are all of the tour operators inside the terminal (I'm assuming there is a terminal)

I just booked (again) and here is part of his reply: " I will meet you at 10:00 ship time at the SECURITY GATE at your ship and i will have a sign with your name on so thats what you have to look for on that day. IF YOU ARE EARLY, PLEASE WAIT AT THE SECURITY GATE AT YOUR SHIP FOR ME AND I WILL BE HERE ON TIME TO PICK YOU UP ON THAT DAY.

You won't be disappointed!

Is he waiting for you at the port? If not how do you find him?

I've never been to St Thomas, are all of the tour operators inside the terminal (I'm assuming there is a terminal)

The "terminal" and/or "security gate" is really just a metal fence that runs parallel to the dock. It's MAYBE 15 ft away from the ship. Godfrey was waiting right outside the gate we walked through, and had a sign with our name on it. All the tour operators stand & park parallel to the metal gate, but Godfrey was the only one I saw holding up signs.

BTW, Godfrey now plays some tropical music. It's not as over the top as Sunny Liston (we heard him drive by, and some of the women said they were glad to not be in his bus since it was a bit rowdy), but it does add some nice flavor to the drive around the island.

I am thinking that he might be our best option and just want opinions of people who have used him. I sent my DH some info on all of the tour guides (he's currently overseas so we have to do everything by email:() and he thinks he likes Godfrey best. Just want to know what has been your experience and if it is worth it or if you would do something else. Thanks!

My DH and I did a Godfrey tour a year and a half ago, and I have to say that it was the best! We are doing one again this year with some of DH's family!! Godfrey went out of his way for us too... We purchased our engagement ring in St. Thomas during the shopping time we had, and we had to pick up the ring and Godfrey took all of the cruise passengers back to the ships, then took us back into the shopping area (not far from the pier) to pick up the ring and took us back to the ship (all while DH kept looking at his watch because we were scared of being left behind!) But Godfrey put the peddle to the metal and had us back in plenty of time, but totally went out of the way for us!! We highly recommend him!

:)

Angela

ps... I must say too, that Godfrey sure does know A LOT about St. Thomas, LOL!!

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned on December 9th from caribbean and used Godfrey for our tour. I can only say good things about him. He is very prompt with sign in hand. He is so well informed about his beautiful island and also so proud. He tried to please everyone as far as beaches were concerned,but we all agreed on Sapphire Beach and it was just wonderful!. The facilities were very clean. Hot food is not served on beach, but through rental stand you can order pizza and will be delivered to you right on beach. He was always waiting for us when we were ready and gave us plenty of time to shop. This was a beautiful day and mostly due to a wonderful guide and a beautiful island.We would have to book two tours from ship to do what we did with Godfrey, and this was all for a third of the price. I definitely recommend him.

Just toured with him Friday and highly recommend him. Just make sure you know what you are looking for. With Godfrey, you'll get someone who is very knowledgible and you can tell he really loves the island. You'll get to shop in the "Shopping Capital of the World" for a few hours in the morning, get 6 or 7 VERY spendid scenic stops for photos, etc., spend a little time at the Mountain Top (fantastic scenery plus a nice set of shops and a bar) and if you choose, you can be dropped at Cocki or Saphire beach for a couple hours. If not, he'll take you back to the ship.

If you want to go through a bunch of obscure attractions and get "free" lunch and rum punch, this is not a tour for you. If you really want to see the good stuff and not spend all day doing it, this is your guy.

Thinking of doing the Godefrey Tours and was reading about your choice to stop at beaches or Coral World.

I went to the coral world website to see about it and it stated that they were only open October to May.

Does anyone know if this is correct. We are going in June 2008.

Thanks

Thinking of doing the Godefrey Tours and was reading about your choice to stop at beaches or Coral World.

I went to the coral world website to see about it and it stated that they were only open October to May.

Does anyone know if this is correct. We are going in June 2008.

Thanks

I took a quick look at their website and it looks like they are open in the summer, but the hours may be different from those stated.

Archived