hiring a driver for the day

tyson

PS--For 2 that may seem a bit steep, but he can seat 4 adults comfortably in his car and if you have more he can hire a van for only a slightly higher fee (because it's not his van) so the cost per person can be relatively cheap. And considering the posted cab fare signs to San Gervaseo are $45 one way and all cab is doing is taking you there and back to the dock, Gerry's charges are very competitve and his service is a known quality.

Otis cruiser, glad you had a nice time with Gerry, We're still hoping this whole flu scare blows over soon and we can still have our tour with Lazaro.

We actually haven't driven with him yet! I just have had conversations with the man who sets it up... But they seem very friendly and professional, with so many cc positive comments. We are going in July so hopefully all will be Ok way before then!

Oh and there will be 4 of us so that makes it very affordable...

In light of the Mr. Sanchos situation, it might be nice to take a tour of the island but I still think $95 for two people/three hours is high, especially with the lower gas prices. The reputable tour guide in St. Maarten, Bernard, only charges $40 PP for six hours and things are more expensive there than in Mexico.
From past experiences, I think it is better to compare COZ pricing to COZ pricing, and not bring in a different POC into the mix!:o

Have been with many independent taxi drivers, and have always had a wonderful experience.. :) $95.00 for a three/four hour guided tour in COZ seems like a 'great' deal... Unfortunately, there are only two of you.. THAT doesn't make it a bad deal.. !! Grab a couple friends off the ship.. will only be $25.00 pp then... :D;) Have fun....:p

Thanks for the info! I have emailed them that we would meet Gerry 30 minutes after we arrive in the port.....so hopefully that will work, unless we get there at 5:50 in the morning!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mary

otiscruiser

If by chance your ship does get in early, just go to the head of the taxi line and ask them to call Gerry (the guy that runs the taxi line is also named Gerry). We were on the Glory and got in an hour early. "Gerry" called Gerry and he was there in about 5 mins. When we booked our tour it was just DW and myself. He told us we could bring 2 more. We meet a couple from our roll call and they joined us, so you might meet someone to join you.

otiscruiser

If by chance your ship does get in early, just go to the head of the taxi line and ask them to call Gerry (the guy that runs the taxi line is also named Gerry). We were on the Glory and got in an hour early. "Gerry" called Gerry and he was there in about 5 mins. When we booked our tour it was just DW and myself. He told us we could bring 2 more. We meet a couple from our roll call and they joined us, so you might meet someone to join you.

We will do that! Thank you for the information. I can't wait for our cruise!! Swine flu stay away!!!

Last year we took a three hour tour around island for two from taxi for just $50. Thought it was a good deal and we saw everthing we wanted to see. Many of the drivers speak english just fine. We had no problem and enjoyed it much. Just talk to several of the drivers until you find one you feel comfortable with. Just got back from Playa del Carmen today and spent some time on Coz. Again the prices were the same with the taxi's if you look around. Because of the flu scare, the island is realy hurting now. Down town is completely empty and many of the shops closed up. Not sure what impact that will have once the ships return. We have always found the people friendly and very easy to deal with though.

In light of the Mr. Sanchos situation, it might be nice to take a tour of the island but I still think $95 for two people/three hours is high, especially with the lower gas prices. The reputable tour guide in St. Maarten, Bernard, only charges $40 PP for six hours and things are more expensive there than in Mexico.

I must be out of the loop

What's up with Mr Sancho's

Just got back last week from Coz. We rented a Jeep from Avis for 40.00 USD. Drove all around and stopped by Paradise Beach for awhile. I would consider doing this.

No problem driving the island and we were free to stop at anytime.

JMO

It is my understanding that the taxi union in Cozumel controls the price.

They also control what goes on at the ports. (which is why Gerry is not allowed to have a sign with your name on it)

There is a difference between $50.00 for a taxi driver to give you a tour of what HE thinks is important....and having a driver that follows your itinerary to the letter.

Gerry will also being a cooler if you want to stop and get ice, beer and soda etc from the grocery.

We had a blast with Gerry in January. I had the itinerary all mapped out and we went where ever we wanted to go and stayed as long as we wanted to stay.

And we would drink as much as we wanted to and not have to worry about drinking and driving!!!

Gerry will also being a cooler if you want to stop and get ice, beer and soda etc from the grocery.

And we would drink as much as we wanted to and not have to worry about drinking and driving!!!

Anyone can bring an empty cooler. Bernard supplies a cooler FULL of water, soft drinks, beer and rum punch! He only charges $35 apiece not $40 like I thought, and gas is just as expensive. Here's his website.

http://bernardstours.com/interest.htm

I know it's a different island...just saying that going with Gerry isn't a bargain unless there are four of you.

There will be four of us so I have booked Gerry ....but keep your fingers and toes crossed that we will be able to GET TO COZUMEL!!!! We are on the Glory in July and are hoping the port will be open!!!!

I did click on Bernard's tours in St M..and if we go up there instead we will look him up ..thanks!

Edited by otiscruiser

There will be four of us so I have booked Gerry ....but keep your fingers and toes crossed that we will be able to GET TO COZUMEL!!!! We are on the Glory in July and are hoping the port will be open!!!!

I did click on Bernard's tours in St M..and if we go up there instead we will look him up ..thanks!

Here is a picture of Gerry....so that you know who to look for.

P1000374.jpg.bf5e92948b5eaf09650c65fa0acc600e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Cozumel that last week of April and I had prearranged for Gerry to take six of us on a tour of the east side. We ended up adding a couple more people from our resort - which was no problem for Gerry. He was absolutely wonderful and I would recommend him to anyone. He took us to everywhere we wanted to go - and a couple more places we just saw and wanted to stop at. We wanted to spend some time downtown after our east side visit so he dropped us off and came back to get us later. Gerry was very informative and a lot of fun. He helped make our day and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone.

p.s. - he has a wonderful singing voice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! We were on a cruise last year to Mexico and then we went back for a week with our daughters. We hired Gerry for about 4 hours. HE WAS GREAT! Yes...he does have a great singing voice. Question though....We are going back to Mexico this year in July and going to hire him again. Last year we did not have the VAN we had the CAR. What prices anyone get quoted for Gerry? Just checking because the price we just got quoted seems a bit higher than last year...$100.00 higher.

Hey everyone! We were on a cruise last year to Mexico and then we went back for a week with our daughters. We hired Gerry for about 4 hours. HE WAS GREAT! Yes...he does have a great singing voice. Question though....We are going back to Mexico this year in July and going to hire him again. Last year we did not have the VAN we had the CAR. What prices anyone get quoted for Gerry? Just checking because the price we just got quoted seems a bit higher than last year...$100.00 higher.

Hi, we are going July 13th with Guerry and are so excited to hear yet another positive comment about him! We are paying for the car and it is 95$ first three hours and $25 per hour after that...The van is 195/40...I think I read earlier that taxes for the taxis have gone up so all rates are higher....When are you guys going? We have been emailing Mike who organizes it for Guerry...Bye fror now

Edited by otiscruiser

I know that $95.00 (3 hours) +$25.00 an hour for the car. (4 people)

Not sure what the van runs...I know it will hold 8 people.

If I recall, Mike said the van was $110 (3 hours) and then $30/$35 for each additional hours. Those prices may have changed. We didn't get Gerry or Lazaro on our cruise because of the H1N1 travel restrictions:( I'm sure they are glad to have ships heading their way again. Everyone enjoy:)

OOps sorry the van is $195 and $40 after the first 3 hours...the van is more expensive as he rents it and it isn't his.....

OOps sorry the van is $195 and $40 after the first 3 hours...the van is more expensive as he rents it and it isn't his.....

Still about the same per person as the car assuming 4 passengers in the car and 8 in the van. With a 20%tip you can do 5 hours for just over $40 per person. If you want to do your own thing and aren't a beach bum or Senior Frogs patron, it's a reasonable way to go and have a great time with a great guide.

Still about the same per person as the car assuming 4 passengers in the car and 8 in the van. With a 20%tip you can do 5 hours for just over $40 per person. If you want to do your own thing and aren't a beach bum or Senior Frogs patron, it's a reasonable way to go and have a great time with a great guide.

Hi, We are going in July with him as I had mentioned before...My husband and i rented a jeep last time and drove around the island , but do u have any suggestions for us to give him or at least think about before we get there? 4 adults in our late 40's, been to the ruins. lighthouse and ate lunch at some place on the other side of the island. Did you doing anything that we would like? I do want to be a bit organized when I talk to him and don't want to shop or drink the whole time.

thanks for any imput...

Hi, We are going in July with him as I had mentioned before...My husband and i rented a jeep last time and drove around the island , but do u have any suggestions for us to give him or at least think about before we get there? 4 adults in our late 40's, been to the ruins. lighthouse and ate lunch at some place on the other side of the island. Did you doing anything that we would like? I do want to be a bit organized when I talk to him and don't want to shop or drink the whole time.

thanks for any imput...

Sadly, due to the small size of Cozumel...beaches shopping and drinking are a big part of their draw.

There is horseback riding at Buena Vista ranch. It is the one place on the island that really takes care of their horses.

We thoroughly enjoyed stopped at every bar on the East (primitive) side and taking pictures. We did not drink at every stop....but I still considered it bar hopping.

If you are more into "getting to know Cozumel"...you can have him take you through the island from a "this is our home and this is how we live" standpoint.

I am fascinated by statistics. What does a house cost? Cost of living etc.

Gerry speaks English very well...and knows the area. He showed us the hospitals (private and public)...the university... some neighborhoods...etc.

There is a beautiful section of beach that has no paved road to it to the LEFT as you enter the East Side. Some folks like to picnic there.

Remember that Gerry will bring an icechest upon request and stop at the local grocery ...so that you can fill it with ice, beer, soda etc.