hiring a driver for the day

tyson

Quick question: so what is the cost for a private driver like Gerry or Lazaro? Per hour? Sounds like a great option. Thanks!

We have booked Gerry for May 20th at the rate of $95.00 for the first three hours and $25.00 per hour after that. That is for him and his transportation and not per person. So, it is a very good deal to me.

That IS expensive because Bernard in St. Martin, who is also highly recommended, only charges $40.00 apiece for five hours. It includes informative narration, beach stops, and time for shopping. And he doesn't provide an empty cooler for you to buy your own drinks, but supplies FREE drinks, including alcohol!

That IS expensive because Bernard in St. Martin, who is also highly recommended, only charges $40.00 apiece for five hours. It includes informative narration, beach stops, and time for shopping. And he doesn't provide an empty cooler for you to buy your own drinks, but supplies FREE drinks, including alcohol!

Wow! That's $160 for 5 hours for 4 people, versus Gerry's $115.

(Thanks for the refresh on his prices Richcrow!) $45 buys a lot of soda and beer:D

I'm booked with Gerry for April and looking at a five to six hour tour. Between two people (maybe three) the cost even with buying our own drinks is still a good value to me.

I look at it this way. The driver is just for me and my group only,doing and going where I want to go.

I toured with Bernard in 2007 for $40. I enjoyed his tour,but I was sharing with others and it wasn't a private tour just for me. In 2008 I did a private tour with Joyce and it was more than $40,but it was a great tour and will do it again!!

I noticed that the private and semi private tours do varied from island to island. In Barbados, a private tour runs about $100. In St. Vincent's private tours are also running that amount. In St. Lucia a semi private tour was about $65. The same in St. Kitts, a private tour ran about $65. In Guadeloupe I paid $160. I debated right until the end on taking the tour. It end being the best tour I ever taken.

It varies from island to island on private tour costs. It comes down to do you want someone that's knowledgeable about that island and gives you a glimpse of place that most won't see is worth the cost!!

Not for Cozumel...it is very reasonable.

In Cozumel it costs you $30 just to go to and from a beach resort (for up to 4 people). But if you are just a couple...it is still $30 !

I'm booked with Gerry for April and looking at a five to six hour tour. Between two people (maybe three) the cost even with buying our own drinks is still a good value to me.

Diva, Gerry took us first to a very nice, new Mega grocery to buy our drinks, so that we'd have a selection to choose from. There was a great choice of sodas and beers to select from. As one who loves to cook, I also love to wander through groceries when we travel, looking for ingredients I can't get at home, so I took a few minutes to do that as well. We also bought a bag of ice here for the cooler.

Edited by rjscott

Just toured with Gerry last week. It was the highlight of our trip. Because of him we are planning a land vacation to Cozumel.He was wonderful with our 2 kids(7 & 9). Just one piece of advice for those going to the east side ,they have no electricity there so no credit cards at the restaurant.Thankfully we had enough cash to eat a little and have a few beers.(I don't know if this was an oversight on my part or I just didn't know it).The east side is absolutely breathtaking.We had Gerry for 5 hours and that was just shopping seeing the town and going over to the east side for lunch. No ruins or tours or anything like that. The time flew and wish we had another 5 hours with him.If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Just toured with Gerry last week. It was the highlight of our trip. Because of him we are planning a land vacation to Cozumel.He was wonderful with our 2 kids(7 & 9). Just one piece of advice for those going to the east side ,they have no electricity there so no credit cards at the restaurant.Thankfully we had enough cash to eat a little and have a few beers.(I don't know if this was an oversight on my part or I just didn't know it).The east side is absolutely breathtaking.We had Gerry for 5 hours and that was just shopping seeing the town and going over to the east side for lunch. No ruins or tours or anything like that. The time flew and wish we had another 5 hours with him.If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks!! I'm booked with him week after next!!

We are also doing five hours with Gerry and can't wait!!

Thanks!! I'm booked with him week after next!!

We are also doing five hours with Gerry and can't wait!!

Every time I see your post I keep thinking you've already come back...Waiting to read your review. Hope you enjoy your day with Gerry.

And no comparing the ceviche and gorditas with Central BBQ's ribs or Cozy Corner's sweet potato pie:D

• 2 weeks later...

We took a tour with Gerry last month. Had a wonderful time. I truly recomend him for anyone who wants a inexpensive tour of Cozumel. He took us straight to the grocery store for beer and snacks for the day and then took us for a fine tour around the island. What a great time. Here is a link to a youtube video I posted. Check it out.

We took a tour with Gerry last month. Had a wonderful time. I truly recomend him for anyone who wants a inexpensive tour of Cozumel. He took us straight to the grocery store for beer and snacks for the day and then took us for a fine tour around the island. What a great time. Here is a link to a youtube video I posted. Check it out.

I could not get the You Tube to load...but it may just be me....:confused:

:eek: After getting off the Carnival Fantasy and completing our excursion,we wanted to sightsee.There were so many taxi stands,rental car and moped rental stands that it got very confusing. Seldom were prices listed so you could shop around and no one from the ship to ask,we were on our own. We were on our way to find the rental car stand that our tour guide from the excursion had told us about,when we were stopped by some men at a rental car stand on the sidewalk in front of the Park Royal Hotel.We had only stopped for directions but they were very persistent and intent on getting us to rent a car from them.When we said no,they changed their story and said it was not a good idea to rent a car anyway,we only had 2 hrs until we had to board the ship again and it would take 30 min. to just fill out all the paperwork. One of the men said he was selling timeshares for the Park Royal Hotel. We started to leave when the suggested a taxi would be the right solution since we just had 2 hrs and that he knew of an English speaking driver whom he would call for us right away and for $35.00 for me and another $35.00 for my son,this driver would drive us all around the island and show us the attractions.

We said ok,and and he called a taxi and we got in.The teenager taxi driver did in fact speak English,but he demanded $50.00 more from each of us,saying he did not receive the full amount of his payment from the man who called him,only a cut,a portion. I told him I was not going to pay any more,just to take us back to the place we boarded the taxi and we would get a refund. He would not go back and insisted we pay him more money,it got ugly,heated and yelling started them. Finally, he took us back,but the 2 men were no longer there,this was just 10 min.later. The young man acted dumb and said he did not know where to find the man who arranged the trip.We wasted another 30 min trying to convince him to take us to the man so we could get a refund of $70.00 .I had to threaten to call the police and my son's shirt came off ready to fight he was so mad,the young taxi driver said get in the tax I will take you to this man he is manager at the Park Royal Hotel.This is when our negative experience started.

Negative Happenings:

The manager at the Park Royal Cozumel and staff all of a sudden didn't speak English and didn't "understand " when a problem arose. The manager "refused" to come downstairs and deal with our problem of wanting a "refund" after he tried to rip us off for a taxi tour of the Island of Cozumel which he arranged for us. So much for honest business dealings and trying to make a customer happy. Instead he shouted and argued with us from his safe room upstairs and refused to come down and talk to us . He also refused to refund our money. What a rip-off,we were hustled and treated with disrespect. I really got the impression the Mexican people of Cozumel did not like Americans and thought were were all rich and fair game to be scammed.It was very upsetting and my son and I had to threaten to call the police in order just to get our money back. Our entire vacation was ruined and I will never again step foot in Mexico. Finally the young taxi driver refunded our money after a big scene was made in the lobby entrance.

We still had 1 hour til ship boarding so we rented a moped which was broken down and out of gas. We stopped to put $2.00 in,but the man at gas station did not speak English well and didn't have any change in dollars,so we ended up having to pay him $5.00.We wanted to drive the perimeter around the island. In the busy tourist part of the town,people drove taxis,rental cars and mopeds like a racetrack. We almost wrecked twice from people cutting out in front of us. Finally,in a couple more miles the streets were less occupied and the driving was safer,but then all of a sudden the paved street ended and there was only a dirt road left which was flooded from rain.We had to turn around but the jeep behind us could keep going. We turned the moped back in,thank God we got our collateral back,our 2 ship passes.They were all we had to get back thru customs on the pier,as we had left our passports on the ship.If we had wrecked the moped we would have not been able to leave,but rather would have been stuck on Cozumel until the moped damages were paid. We did get the additional insurance,but there was a deductible and we had no more money left.

Well, yes, the story is full of holes, but it can serve as a cautionary tale of some things not to do when in port. Geez, I would never hand my seapass over to anyone for collateral, for heaven's sake! And, if you want to do some independent exploring while in port, do a bit of research on these boards so you know what to expect and what to avoid. Unfortunately, there are hustlers everywhere, and not just in Cozumel. When we were at the grocery with Gerry, I was approached by a man who, very nicely, asked if we were there on vacation, and if we wanted to come to a resort for the day. It was a time share presentation, but it might have been a nice way to spend the day, and he was very pleasant about it when I said no, we had plans. He gave me his card and said if we ever came back and were interested...

We booked Lazaro for our tour of Cozumel on April 15th and had an awesome time. If Gerry isn't available and they offer Lazaro, don't hesitate to book him!

I LOVE this board!!! There is such excellent information on here. Thank God I am a planner and love to research so that I can avoid the horror stories some endure in these places.:eek: I think I will definitely try to get Lazaro or Gerry in Cozumel when I arrive in November. Thank you!!!!

Here is a photo of Lazaro waiting to pick us up.

I wish I had known about these boards before going on 1st cruise,next time I will book a tour rather than an excursion.After the excusrion ended,that's when I was lost as far as who to get and where to get them. Lazaro looks very nice,from the pic I assume they pick you up from pier upon disembark? Are his tours still available after an excursion say 12:30-1:00? Please help anyone?I hope to have a nice time next go round,not get scammed by slimeball taxi company that changes agreed on price once you enter cab.

That video was great! How does one book Gerry,which cab co.,or was it done thru CC? Now if I had gotten in his cab I would have paid any amount; the little wisenheimer who drove us was very young,scammer,argumentative,persistent,demanded mo' money,you get the pic..

That video was great! How does one book Gerry,which cab co.,or was it done thru CC? Now if I had gotten in his cab I would have paid any amount; the little wisenheimer who drove us was very young,scammer,argumentative,persistent,demanded mo' money,you get the pic..

Maerina...Gerri is independent. you can book him through cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com. That gets you to Mike Thompson who hands Gerri's bookings. Gerri speaks English very well, but doesn't trust his reading and writing skills so he let's Mike handle the booking end. Both have lived on the island for many years. There's a minimum of 3 hours for which he charges $95 if he uses his stationwagon which holds 4 people. That's not a per person price that a "per vehicle "price. Then it's $25 per hour beyond that. I'm working off memory here so if someone who's used him since January has a different quote, please coorect me. He does charge more for larger groups when he has to rent a van. Lazaro works with him and charges the same. Many of those who book Gerri take a tour of the island to see the East side. He also knows a number of shops where you can get better values on certain items than the shops at the pier or in the main plaza in San Miguel. Gerri is like a long lost uncle, very outgoing and friendly and knows a lot of folks on the island. You may want to consider his services the next time you are in Cozumel. Just tell him what you want to do and where you'd like to go and he'll take you there.

Maerina...Gerri is independent. you can book him through cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com. That gets you to Mike Thompson who hands Gerri's bookings. Gerri speaks English very well, but doesn't trust his reading and writing skills so he let's Mike handle the booking end. Both have lived on the island for many years. There's a minimum of 3 hours for which he charges $95 if he uses his stationwagon which holds 4 people. That's not a per person price that a "per vehicle "price. Then it's $25 per hour beyond that. I'm working off memory here so if someone who's used him since January has a different quote, please coorect me. He does charge more for larger groups when he has to rent a van. Lazaro works with him and charges the same. Many of those who book Gerri take a tour of the island to see the East side. He also knows a number of shops where you can get better values on certain items than the shops at the pier or in the main plaza in San Miguel. Gerri is like a long lost uncle, very outgoing and friendly and knows a lot of folks on the island. You may want to consider his services the next time you are in Cozumel. Just tell him what you want to do and where you'd like to go and he'll take you there.

All of your info is correct. Mike is the one that set us up with Lazaro. I contacted them at them e-mail posted above and they let us pick them time to meet. Lazaro was at the front of the taxi stand at the pier holding the sign shown in the photo. It couldn't have been easier.

Thanks 2 all 4 the good info;how many people are required to book a tour bus/taxi ahead of time? If one still pays the full amount will they ride just 2 pp in a 4 passenger van if no other takers are available?Or they can take 2 from one party and 2 from another party when booking?Just share?

Edited by Maerina
misspell

Maerina, when you book with Gerry, it is a private booking. But, if you want to put together a group to share the expense, try posting on your roll call for your sailing and see if you can find others who are interested. We've done this in various ports and it's a great way to meet others from the ship while keeping your expenses in check.

A Warning from the State Dept. webite regarding taxi scams in Mexico. Know before you go,don't make the same mistakes I made.

"Use only the licensed and regulated "sitio" (SEE-tee-oh) taxis. Some illegitimate taxi drivers are, in fact, criminals in search of victims; users of these taxis have been robbed, kidnapped, and/or raped. Hotels, clubs and restaurants will summon a sitio taxi upon request."

Edited by Maerina
spellcheck