hiring a driver for the day

tyson

I had the BEST tour , picked up right at the pier

Carlos had a nice air conditioned newer van, my group of 11 went alone

we went all through the town and he was so informative, told us so many things we saw how the people lived so interesting

we drove thru san miquel and he pointed out many things to us

then off to El Cedral which was fascinating, he told us how they celebrate May 3rd instead of Cinco de Maya , having no relationship to the Colonial Battles of mainland Mexico

we saw the little church all fixed up for the festivities, and the small Mayan ruin, saw a donkey and looked in the little stores

then we went off to Reggae Freedom Bar on the "wild side"....bought a coconut to sip on, got some great pictures, wrote our names in marker on the railings :) (Everyone does..some people left underwear to decorate the rustic bar haha...I didn't go that far)

He then dropped some of us off at Paradise Beach (our choice) and took the rest back to the port

total : $15 per person (plus tip)

Paradise Beach was nice for a few hours, had some great nachos and enjoyed 15 minutes free internet use and cute parrots who say "Hola" to you

Great day

I dealt with Freddie at the Pier, the dispatcher, who gave us Carlos

wonderful guy

We rented a Jeep Wrangler once and toured around the Island by ourselves. Very nice. The other side of the Island we met locals who were very friendly.

One word of warning....if cruisers rent a vehicle MAKE SURE you get the full insurance with a ZERO deductible.

Do not depend on your Visa or Mastercard "rental insurance"....

While this is not from first hand experience, I have had several friends learn this lesson the hard way!!!

And NO drinking and driving!!

One word of warning....if cruisers rent a vehicle MAKE SURE you get the full insurance with a ZERO deductible.

Do not depend on your Visa or Mastercard "rental insurance"....

While this is not from first hand experience, I have had several friends learn this lesson the hard way!!!

And NO drinking and driving!!

That is one of the pluses of having Gerry as your driver. Our first stop was at the Mega Mart to purchase ice, beverages and snacks. Gerry provided a cooler, so we were all set for our tour of the island. At lunch, we were able to enjoy margaritas and cervezas, and the proprietor of the restaurant, an amigo of Gerry's, insisted on complimentary shots of tequila for the four of us. We were able to enjoy that nice touch, as Gerry was doing the driving! ;)

Does Gerry's vehicle have seat belts?

I have a lot of anxiety when driving in a car without wearing a seat belt, so this is a deal breaker for me. Seriously, I would not be able to enjoy myself.

This issue really limits my excursion options. It would be wonderful if I could find a private driver that offered seat belts.

:)

Does Gerry's vehicle have seat belts?

I have a lot of anxiety when driving in a car without wearing a seat belt, so this is a deal breaker for me. Seriously, I would not be able to enjoy myself.

This issue really limits my excursion options. It would be wonderful if I could find a private driver that offered seat belts.

My hubby is quite serious about seat belts also, even when riding in the back seat. Gerry has a car, but can borrow a van. We opted for the van, as my hubby is quite tall and there were 4 of us and we didn't want to be cramped. I'm quite sure the van had seat belts, but I'm sure Mike Thompson, who does Gerry's bookings could confirm if both vehicles have them. Contact Mike at www.cozumeltaxi.com

My hubby is quite serious about seat belts also, even when riding in the back seat. Gerry has a car, but can borrow a van. We opted for the van, as my hubby is quite tall and there were 4 of us and we didn't want to be cramped. I'm quite sure the van had seat belts, but I'm sure Mike Thompson, who does Gerry's bookings could confirm if both vehicles have them. Contact Mike at www.cozumeltaxi.com

There are only two of us, so it will just be the regular taxi. I will send an email to Mike. Thanks.

We will be in Cozumel on my birthday, and I want to have a good time.

Edited by hunnypot1

There are only two of us, so it will just be the regular taxi. I will send an email to Mike. Thanks.

We will be in Cozumel on my birthday, and I want to have a good time.

I hope Mike can put your mind at ease so that you can enjoy your birthday on Cozumel! :)

Have a great cruise!

Thanks wrote a couple of days ago - so far no reply. Hopefully will hear soon

I also sent an email to Mike and got a very quick reply. Then sent an email back to book Gerry. Re-sent the email when I didn't hear back and still haven't gotten an answer to my second email. I do hope that we have Gerry booked for the day and time we wanted. Maybe Mike is really busy.

Good news. Heard back from Mike and we have Gerry booked for the day we are in Cozumel. Can't wait for this trip.

My husband and I just returned from a western Caribbean cruise and we had booked Gerry for our day in Cozumel. We started by stopping at Los Cinco Soles for some shopping. We did a quick tour through some of the beach resorts and then went to the San Gervasio ruins. After that, we headed towards the east side of the island stopping for photo opportunities and finally a quick lunch at Rastas at Gerry's recommendation.

He was standing at the head of the taxi line when we disembarked, just like Mike's instructions said and he was very professional and courteous. His English language skills are excellent and the car was safe and well-maintained with seat belts. I can highly recommend Gerry.

Rosa

How many hours did you require for your trip?

There is a minimum of 3 hrs to hire Gerry, but you can add more hrs as you need/want. It all depends upon the itinerary you set. If you want some ideas for things to see/do, Mike Thompson is very good at providing some sample itineraries for you to pick and choose from and then he can give you and idea of how long you'll need Gerry's services for.

To hire Jerry for just two people for the 3 hours - is it $95 or $195? It sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks.
We had his van and it was $195. I believe it is less for his car, but Mike Thompson could let you know that. The price is for the vehicle for the 3 hrs, not per person. So, if you can find others to share the cost, that brings down your per person cost. What made it nice for us was the ability to do what we wanted when we wanted and know that it was still less than we'd have paid on a ship's excursion.