hiring a driver for the day

tyson

I was having a hard time contacting Gerry/Mike also. I have not heard anything from him in over 2 weeks :confused: and we've used him twice in the past. We really enjoyed our time with Gerry, but I couldn't wait any longer for a reply. Soooooo......I too booked with Adiel. I sent him an e-mail at adielrenan@hotmail.com and he responded within a few hours......so we will be booking with him. Thank Adiel. :D

Please let us know how Adiel is. And ask around about Gerry. To see if he's okay or not doing this anymore, or Mike maybe left Coz?

Thanks.

Please let us know how Adiel is. And ask around about Gerry. To see if he's okay or not doing this anymore, or Mike maybe left Coz?

Thanks.

We will be there on 2/19......I will report back with info on tour with Adiel and also info on Gerry if I can find any......;)

We were there Friday with no advance booking. Went to the taxi stand (Puerta Maya) and said we wanted to go to Punta Sur and to the lighthouse and spend some time on the beach. Then back into San Miguel. Total of about 2-2.5 hours. Paid $80 for 4 people and the driver sat in the van at the lighthouse and read while we explored. Admission to the lighthouse was $5 each. Extra charge for the swimming beach ($10/ea, I think, we didn't do it) as the beach area near the lighthouse is sea turtle habitat and off limits.

Mike had recommending just talking with the dispatcher at the taxi stand when he let me know his guys were not available.

We had the good fortune to be able to book Gerry earlier this month. The weather was lousy, torrential rain at times, but we spent 5 hrs with him touring the island and enjoyed every moment of it. If I had a comment it would be that his station wagon is a rather small Nissan and 4 average to large size people are going to find it pretty close.

• 3 weeks later...
I have emailed Mike 4 times in the last 3 weeks and have not received a response. Any other options??

Thx.

Seems like it is becoming more and more difficult.

If you scroll back through this thread Rjscott posted a telephone # for Mike which someone did call and he does answer but he seems to be working away from Cozumel with no internet.

Unfortunately no one has posted any other direct contact for Gerry - not sure if you could reach him through Cozumel Bar Hop as Tom originally recommended him and sometimes he drives the bus for them.

Our group of 10 booked with Adiel on 2/19. I contacted him by e-mail at adielrenan@hotmail.com and he immediately responded. He kept in touch with me until we arrived. He even notified me of the actual pier we would be docked at. When we arrived he was waiting at the end of the pier for us with a sign with my name on it. His rate was $30 per person for basically the entire day. He was soooo good we all gave him $40 each. He picked us up at the dock at 9:30 and returned us back at around 4:00. Adiel spoke very good English was extremely knowledgable about the island, not only knowledgable, but very proud of his island. His van held 10 comfortably and was extremely clean. We basically did an island tour with stops along the way. Of course, he had his planned stops but if we asked he would stop anytime we wanted. We stopped at all the bars...LOL. He also took us to a resort for lunch, drinks, snorkling and swimming and the entrance to the resort and snorkle gear was included in his rate. We had a GREAT day with Adiel and wouldn't hesitate to book with him again. As a matter of fact, we're going to book him for next year for our 3rd annual girls cruise.:D

Shannon: Thanks for sharing info on your tour with Adiel. I have contacted him via e-mail in the hopes of booking him for our stop in Cozumel in April....keep your fingers crossed.

Wondered if you could give a little more info regarding the stops he made: was resort on a public beach and if so - what one? Besides the bars (which is just fine too - lol) - I assume the stops were sightseeing and maybe some shopping ??

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Laura...thanks so much from this exTex's heart for sharing the new contact information. We hope that Mike's new venture works for him and Eduardo gets Gerri back in the loop.

Stephen

Yes - thanks for the information. I've been trying to get in touch with Mike for several weeks regarding my reservation on March 11th. Hopefully Eduardo can help.

Chris

Yes - thanks for the information. I've been trying to get in touch with Mike for several weeks regarding my reservation on March 11th. Hopefully Eduardo can help.

Chris

I got in touch with Eduardo and he responded in minutes. There is now an online form for reserving with Gerry. I've posted the details on a new thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1367738&highlight=

I got in touch with Eduardo and he responded in minutes. There is now an online form for reserving with Gerry. I've posted the details on a new thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1367738&highlight=

I think the new thread was removed since it wasn't in reply to an inquiry. So here is the info again that I had posted earlier.

Many of us have been frustrated recently trying to make reservations with the highly regarded driver Gerry in Cozumel. I learned from another poster today that Mike is no longer handling his reservations. I reached out this morning to the new contact Eduardo (eduardoczm@gmail.com). Eduardo is handling reservations primarily for Gerry, but also has access to other drivers (as I had feared, I confirmed that Mike had double booked Gerry for the day of my visit in March, but Eduardo has placed me with Cantaro for our trip so we will have a driver). Eduardo has created an online form for making reservations. See information from Eduardo below....

~~~~~~~~~

email From Eduardo:

I do handle reservations not only for Gerry, there is another taxi guide same quality service and price as Gerry, his name is Cantaro...

in this link you can find the online format we made to make the reservations easier and faster, take a look and just fill up your info and I will reply with your confirmation code same day

http://www.toursplaza.com/categorias...iring_a_driver

~~~~~~~~~

Hope this is helpful for everyone in getting back in touch with Gerry.

Just returned from Cozumel. We went out towards the taxis and hired Tony #5 Van with special tours. He said $25 for 2 1/2 hours but took us through local area,a resort and to other side of island for over 3 hours. He is a local and very nice. He will take you anywhere you want to go.

I'm looking for any info on whether it's cost efficient to rent a driver for 8 people for the day or just do taxis. Usually we rent a Jeep but we have 8 people this time and that won't work. we plan on the beach for awhile(haven't decided which one yet) and then ending at senor frogs 1/2

I'm looking for any info on whether it's cost efficient to rent a driver for 8 people for the day or just do taxis. Usually we rent a Jeep but we have 8 people this time and that won't work. we plan on the beach for awhile(haven't decided which one yet) and then ending at senor frogs 1/2

WE just hired Gerry through Plaza Tours and we have a group of 8. We want to go to Chankanaab and the lighthouse. One couple just wants to explore the island at different snokeling spots. So we will probably go to the lighthouse and then we will go to Chankanaab and Gerry will come back and pick us up and we will go to eat and shopping. I thought from this VERY HELPFUL website that it sounded like hiring a driver for the day was the way to go. It is cheaper than going with a cab especially when you have 8. Also, you can store your shopping and snorkeling gear in the van. PLUS I would think getting a personal tour on your time is just worth it!

Hope this helps with your decision. I know this thread helped me.