hiring a driver for the day

tyson

• 3 weeks later...
A Warning from the State Dept. webite regarding taxi scams in Mexico. Know before you go,don't make the same mistakes I made.

"Use only the licensed and regulated "sitio" (SEE-tee-oh) taxis. Some illegitimate taxi drivers are, in fact, criminals in search of victims; users of these taxis have been robbed, kidnapped, and/or raped. Hotels, clubs and restaurants will summon a sitio taxi upon request."

This is for the big cities. I've never heard of this happening in Cozumel. The whole island would be in shock!!

We have been fortunate enough to call him our friend, we met him a few years ago while doing an island tour and would not have anyone else drive us in Cozumel.

Hats off to Lazaro. If you are ever lucky enough to have him be your tour guide tell him Rick and Leslie from MS said Hell-o

A Warning from the State Dept. webite regarding taxi scams in Mexico. Know before you go,don't make the same mistakes I made.

"Use only the licensed and regulated "sitio" (SEE-tee-oh) taxis. Some illegitimate taxi drivers are, in fact, criminals in search of victims; users of these taxis have been robbed, kidnapped, and/or raped. Hotels, clubs and restaurants will summon a sitio taxi upon request."

Not a worry for Cozumel.

Cozumel is an island. They understand that tourism is a huge part of their economy and they protect it accordingly.

We will be going to Cozumel at least 5 times this year....and have done so for years.

I have never even come close to any kind of incident.

We hop off the ship and grab a taxi every time. (except for the time we walked the 4 miles from Puerta Maya to downtown) :eek:

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks 2 all 4 the good info;how many people are required to book a tour bus/taxi ahead of time? If one still pays the full amount will they ride just 2 pp in a 4 passenger van if no other takers are available?Or they can take 2 from one party and 2 from another party when booking?Just share?

You can "share" a taxi with another couple....but you have to have the "agreement" between yourselves before you get in the taxi.

The taxi driver does not care who gives him the money.... :D

I have not read through this whole thread but here's my question. My cousin just returned from the Elation to Cozumel. They had a group of 14 and hired a shuttle bus for $20 pp. He stayed with them all day. Just took them to the beach (GREAT BEACH, SHE SAID), waited all day for them, then took them to Carlos n Charlies and Margaritaville to shop.

Our group will have 12. I'm a planner and would love to hire someone like Lazaro or Gerri. I think my cousin got lucky and got a good driver!! We don't necessarily want to tour the island. We'd just like the beach and some shopping and visiting those restaurants for sure. Should I contact the above email and see if they are available? Do you think the cost would be in that range? 12 X 20 for the day would be 240. Any suggestions?

Yes you can contact Mike and see if they are available for the date for you. Gerry will rent a van if necessary for the day to accommodate a larger group. All you have to do is let him know what you are interested in seeing/doing and he will make it happen! Can't recommend him enough! You don't have to shop or do anything in any particular order. Gerry will make recommendations about distances and when you need to arrive to avoid the ship crowds.

I have not read through this whole thread but here's my question. My cousin just returned from the Elation to Cozumel. They had a group of 14 and hired a shuttle bus for $20 pp. He stayed with them all day. Just took them to the beach (GREAT BEACH, SHE SAID), waited all day for them, then took them to Carlos n Charlies and Margaritaville to shop.

Our group will have 12. I'm a planner and would love to hire someone like Lazaro or Gerri. I think my cousin got lucky and got a good driver!! We don't necessarily want to tour the island. We'd just like the beach and some shopping and visiting those restaurants for sure. Should I contact the above email and see if they are available? Do you think the cost would be in that range? 12 X 20 for the day would be 240. Any suggestions?

I know that Gerry can get a passenger van....

just contact Mike at cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com.

Mike emailed me back and said they weren't able to do a group of 12. He suggested I contact Tom (Paradise Beach Tom) to arrange a tour through his group. Anyone have experience with that?

Mike emailed me back and said they weren't able to do a group of 12. He suggested I contact Tom (Paradise Beach Tom) to arrange a tour through his group. Anyone have experience with that?

If Mike is referring to the Cozumel Bar Hop tour...it's an excellent excursion and way to see the whole island, especially the east "wild" side. You go to 4-5 bars around the island. Off the top of my head I think they're PB (west side), BobMarley's (southern tip), Coconuts (mid east side and highest point on Coz), Mezcaliltos(at transverse road from east coast to San Miguel) and one other down town. But the itinerary changes from time to time. Look on this board for the "Cozumel Bar Hop Bus" thread and links to its website.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the suggestion of Gerry. He is available for the day I'm in Cozumel. I've never done a private tour, so I hope this is as great an experience as everyone says.

I see your cruise is coming up soon.

Remember that Gerry will take you anywhere you want to go. He is at your disposal. He always locks the van...so you don't have to worry about safety.

Since we have a special needs son, ship excursions are usually not an option for us. Gerry was the best private excursion we have ever done.

Have a great cruise and a wonderful day in Cozumel.

Anything Tom puts together for you will be done right.

Thanks for the suggestion of Gerry. He is available for the day I'm in Cozumel. I've never done a private tour, so I hope this is as great an experience as everyone says.

It will!

I was with a first time cruiser and at first she questioned why did I book a private tour. I explained that with a private tour that things are done on our time and where we wanted to go and do.

Gerry was a true gem!!! My friend is a bigger shopper than I and when we went to the ruins, she decided to stay in the shopping area while I explored the ruins. Gerry was there to make sure that she got a great price on the items she wanted.

I also mentioned to Gerry that I wanted to purchased some tablecloths. He stopped at a small roadside store near the east side beaches. The shop owner prices were so good that I really didn't have to bargin that much. I purchased three tablecloths and a wonderful dress with great handwork. My friend also purchased three dresses.

We also had lunch on the east side.

At the end, my friend was so glad that we had a private driver! She talked to a few people on board the ship the next day that complained that they felt herded on their tour and really didn't enjoy Cozumel. She me thank you for booking Gerry!

• 2 weeks later...
It will!

I was with a first time cruiser and at first she questioned why did I book a private tour. I explained that with a private tour that things are done on our time and where we wanted to go and do.

Gerry was a true gem!!! My friend is a bigger shopper than I and when we went to the ruins, she decided to stay in the shopping area while I explored the ruins. Gerry was there to make sure that she got a great price on the items she wanted.

I also mentioned to Gerry that I wanted to purchased some tablecloths. He stopped at a small roadside store near the east side beaches. The shop owner prices were so good that I really didn't have to bargin that much. I purchased three tablecloths and a wonderful dress with great handwork. My friend also purchased three dresses.

We also had lunch on the east side.

At the end, my friend was so glad that we had a private driver! She talked to a few people on board the ship the next day that complained that they felt herded on their tour and really didn't enjoy Cozumel. She me thank you for booking Gerry!

Glad it worked out well for you.... Gerry is indeed a gem!!!

• 2 weeks later...
If Mike is referring to the Cozumel Bar Hop tour...it's an excellent excursion and way to see the whole island, especially the east "wild" side. You go to 4-5 bars around the island. Off the top of my head I think they're PB (west side), BobMarley's (southern tip), Coconuts (mid east side and highest point on Coz), Mezcaliltos(at transverse road from east coast to San Miguel) and one other down town. But the itinerary changes from time to time. Look on this board for the "Cozumel Bar Hop Bus" thread and links to its website.

I have sooo got to try the Bar Hop in January.....I keep reading about it and everyone has such great things to say about it.....

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad to see a recommendation of what to do on Cozumel! I've been a few times, but just to the beach and shopping. I had no idea one was able to see the whole island in one day! The east side sounds nice, and we'd like to see the ruins, even though they are small. I have emailed Mike for info and availability. There are 6 of us on this cruise, but I'll have to check to see if the other 2 couples are interested in an island tour with us. Sounds like we'd be well off with either driver, Gerry or Lazaro!

Thanks everyone! :)

I have sooo got to try the Bar Hop in January.....I keep reading about it and everyone has such great things to say about it.....

Yes, you have to try the Bar Hop in January! But you know anything Tom puts together will be fun!! I did it in July on my girls cruise, I only wish I could do it again on this cruise, but this cruise I am a respectable mom and wife, so only a few hours at Paradise Beach for me!!

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
I'm glad I read this thread. Mom, sister, and I are going to Coz and don't have a clue what to do. I'm going to try to hire a driver and I'll spend the rest of the time thinking of what to do...BAR HOP is def out with mom in the picture LOL

If you contact Mike Thompson to hire Gerry or Lazaro, Mike is quite good at making recommendations for your day. He'll give you a whole itinerary and then you can pick and choose from the things he suggests.

If you contact Mike Thompson to hire Gerry or Lazaro, Mike is quite good at making recommendations for your day. He'll give you a whole itinerary and then you can pick and choose from the things he suggests.

Thanks for the recommendation! I heard about Mike Thompson for Gerry and emailed him yesterday. I am waiting to hear back. I am glad that he will make recommendations--talk about making things easier! Thanks again for telling me that about Mike. I haven't heard about Lazaro, but I have heard about Gerry. Whomever is available will suit me just fine. Thanks again!