hiring a driver for the day

tyson

That's who we've been assigned too. I'm kinda nervous after reading all the threads and not seeing this name much. Anyone have any experience with this driver?

I just got back from my cruise a few days ago and we had Pino in Cozumel. It was a rainy day so instead of being dropped off at a beach, he offered to show us more of the island that we had not included on our list. He took us to a place on the east side called Senior Iquanas - *THE* best ceviche you will ever eat in your entire life! The margaritas were great as well.

I hightly recommend Pino and will ask for him again next time we're in Coz.

• 2 weeks later...
We have enjoyed a few trips with Gerry and also wished to have him drive us in many of our other ports. In Aruba, we toured with Bully. Take a look for him on the Aruba boards. I highly recommend him.

Thanks for the Aruba recommendation.....but our son was not up for a tour...so we just explored around the port.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Cozumel a week ago today. Our experience with hiring a taxi for the day was very positive. I had done my research ahead of time on Cruise Critic and knew that I could hire a driver for the day for around $100 if I was willing to look. There were two of us so we could easily hire a car or a van.

When we left the port building I asked several taxi drivers about hiring them for the day most of them turned my down not even willing to talk price. They all tried to get me to buy a three or four hour island tour (the price varied). Others were willing to do it but wanted over $200 for up to five hours.

I knew I could do better away from the port. We started walking toward downtown. As we walked we passed several taxis, I asked prices again most were only interested in a set island tour.

After we walked five or six blocks a taxi that was driving by stopped and asked if we wanted a ride downtown. I told him no, but I would like to hire him for the day. He thought for a bit and asked how much, I offered $90 till 5:30pm (about six and a half hours). He hesitated but eventually said yes. So off we went.

I said we wanted to stop at a store and buy some drinks. He took us to a huge Mega Mart where I purchased a styrofoam cooler, ice, water, beer, cokes and some snacks. I asked our driver what he wanted to drink he said coke, also asked him what he wanted for a snack, he picked up a bag of something. Purchased it all for $24.

Once we were back in the taxi with the cooler in the back (it was a station wagon) I told him we wanted to see the Mayan Ruins, We wanted to visit the eastern shore of the island, I wanted to snorkel for a little bit (I had my own mask) and we would like to do a little shopping.

Don't want to make this response to long but I will say he took us to every place we had requested plus a couple of additional stops thrown in that he suggested. He stayed right with us and was very helpful.

At the end of the day I paid him the agreed $90 plus a $20 tip. I also gave him the remaining drinks and food. He seemed very happy with everything.

I would do this again any time.

It seems Toursplaza are full when we arrive 01/01/2013, any suggestions for anoother driver we could use for a tour of Cozumel? :D

I highly recommend Crescensio. He is an independent driver. We went with him in September and he was great! He speaks English very well, is eager to make your trip memorable and was very flexible with our schedule.

Here is the email I have for him: creslopez41955@hotmail.com

Have a great trip!

I highly recommend Crescensio. He is an independent driver. We went with him in September and he was great! He speaks English very well, is eager to make your trip memorable and was very flexible with our schedule.

Here is the email I have for him: creslopez41955@hotmail.com

Have a great trip!

Thank you very much I have booked him,and he is cheaper than ToursPlaza. He seems a very pleasant guy and now can't wait for our day in Cozumel. :)

We enjoyed another excellent day with ToursPlaza during our recent cruise. We have visited Cozumel many times and have taken several round the island tours but have never visited the popular beach bars, south of the piers except for Palancar. This time we were on a fact finding mission for future land and/or family beach days and so we had a list of places we wanted to visit from Alberto’s to the Money Bar. We knew exactly where we wanted to stop and could have taken individual taxis from one place to another, at less expense, but it was convenient, given the time constraints of a day in port, to have a personal driver that stayed with us.

As usual Eduardo, the administrator, provided very prompt and efficient communications via email to facilitate our booking.

This time our driver was Cantero. This was the first time we had toured with him and he provided excellent service and spoke good English. He gave us space to do our own personal exploring but was attentive enough to always be looking out for us, given the nature of our short visits to each place, when we were ready to leave. He spoke in Spanish for us to the reception of Hotel Allegra so that we could have a quick tour of the facilities.

We had a great day in Coz with Gerry! He is such a kind man. We went to Punta Sur and ended up relaxing in the hammocks, drinking coconut water and then eating the fresh coconut meat with some wonderful chili spices and lime, a real treat!! We had planned on snorkeling but the weather prevented that so we just relaxed and headed to Playa Bonita for some great food, drinks and spectacular views! A very relaxing day for our group of 6, ages 20-78, and Gerry treated us so well, can't wait to go back and visit :) Eduardo is so responsive in handling the reservations, thanks for a great day!!

Thank you very much I have booked him,and he is cheaper than ToursPlaza. He seems a very pleasant guy and now can't wait for our day in Cozumel. :)

I contacted Crescenio today via the email that was posted previously. He quoted me the exact same price as ToursPlaza - $95 for 3 hrs, + $25 per hr after that.

We had Cantaro on Saturday in Cozumel and could not ask for a better time. He was waiting for us at the port and took us to the ruins, the chocolate factory, to Coconuts for lunch (YUM and FUN!) the east side and back to port,. He was pleasant, helpful, informative, very professional. Eduardo called him soon after we got into the car to make sure all was ok. Would definitely book with ToursPlaza and Cantaro again!

I highly recommend Crescencio. His English is good and he is extremely friendly. Even though his prices may be similar to those offered at the taxi stand - I'm very sure the experience is different. He will do everything possible to make sure you have a fabulous day - definately reserve him in advance!

I highly recommend Crescencio. His English is good and he is extremely friendly. Even though his prices may be similar to those offered at the taxi stand - I'm very sure the experience is different. He will do everything possible to make sure you have a fabulous day - definately reserve him in advance!

We have him booked for March 1. I will do a review on our day when we return.

Before our Carnival Glory cruise during Christmas week, I found good recommendations here on CC, for "Hiring a Private Driver for the day" for our stop in Cozumel, so I contacted them. The man in charge (Eduardo) was not only quick to reply back, but really helpful with all of my questions. I have to say I was quite impressed, so I booked it and am really glad I did!

Our driver, Cantaro, was not only informative, but ever so friendly and yes, he spoke English. We all had such a fun time with him! Although 3 out of 5 of us have been to Cozumel many, many times before, even we 3 saw and learned new things during our tour, which was, in itself, surprising.

We didn't do the Mayan Ruins, because we've "been there/done that", and were just looking for a nice all around tour, which is just what we got. So, if anyone is looking for something like this and doesn't want to book their ships shore excursions, we agree with the others who recommended "Hire a Private Driver for the Day", as we were more than satisfied with their service to us as well! You can Google "Cozumel hire a driver for the day" to find them.

Thanks again Eduardo and Cantaro!:)

Maxine

For the person who asked about Marco, we just got back and had Marco for the day. Marco was waiting exactly where and when he was supposed to, had a sign with our name on it. He was very nice and courteous, but my only comment would be to have an idea of what you would like to do and don't expect him to be a "tour guide" I was hoping the driver would have great suggestions, but once we said we really did not want to do tequila factory, he did not have many suggestions for sites we should go to. Asked about the ruins, he pointed out the entrance, but kept driving. In his defense though, we did say the only thing we knew we wanted to see was the east side of the island, we were just hoping he would have more suggestions and give us some history as we were driving around. I don't want you to think he was a bad driver or anything, he was just more or a driver than tour guide, and I think we were expecting more of a tour guide than driver. Van was clean, AC worked well. The bars and overlooks he took us to on the east side were beautiful. Had some food and drinks at Coconuts, none of us had any illness problems after. We were done in three hours, he dropped us off in downtown square for shopping and we took a taxi back to ship.

For the person who asked about Marco, we just got back and had Marco for the day. Marco was waiting exactly where and when he was supposed to, had a sign with our name on it. He was very nice and courteous, but my only comment would be to have an idea of what you would like to do and don't expect him to be a "tour guide" I was hoping the driver would have great suggestions, but once we said we really did not want to do tequila factory, he did not have many suggestions for sites we should go to. Asked about the ruins, he pointed out the entrance, but kept driving. In his defense though, we did say the only thing we knew we wanted to see was the east side of the island, we were just hoping he would have more suggestions and give us some history as we were driving around. I don't want you to think he was a bad driver or anything, he was just more or a driver than tour guide, and I think we were expecting more of a tour guide than driver. Van was clean, AC worked well. The bars and overlooks he took us to on the east side were beautiful. Had some food and drinks at Coconuts, none of us had any illness problems after. We were done in three hours, he dropped us off in downtown square for shopping and we took a taxi back to ship.

That is a good heads up. We had Alberto. After we got into his car, he brought out a map and suggested a lot of stuff.

However, I did a lot of research on Cozumel, and knew exactly what we wanted to do, told him, away we went, and did everything that I had planned.

We are going to Cozumel soon and planning to hire a driver for the day. what would people suggest that we do?

We are thinking, Tequila Factory, the ruins, and a beach/snorkel stop. Would anyone recommend these and/or different ideas?

Plan to do the East side.

Stop at a couple of the bars, we did Coconuts and Playa Bonita where we ate lunch, which was excellent.

I have a lot of pictures on our trip in my Oasis review, link in my signature.

Tom, we are interested in hiring a driver. There are a total of ten of us (five adults and five children) --- can he accommodate us all?

I am sure they can ..... Depending on whether they are booked or not.

Just email them with your details and ask.