Food options

8mpg

ok so Im new to cruising and our cruise is coming up in 2 weeks. Im wondering about where to go for your meals...

Are lunches/breakfast served in the dining rooms? If so, what times are cutoffs? My girlfriend is diabetic so we are on kind of a strict timing for meals. Do you just show up to any dining room or is there a set place? I know the buffet is always available.

On the first day we arrive in Seattle at 9am EST which is our 11am time. Its cutting it close to lunch time. When we get aboard, will there be lunch being served or do we have to wait until dinner? Im hoping by getting there bright and early we will go straight to the docks (princess transfer) and get in line and onboard early. The boat leaves at 4, Im hoping to be at the docks by 10.

Anyways, we always carry snacks to carry her over but I was wondering if you guys had some insight.

ok so Im new to cruising and our cruise is coming up in 2 weeks. Im wondering about where to go for your meals...

Are lunches/breakfast served in the dining rooms? If so, what times are cutoffs? My girlfriend is diabetic so we are on kind of a strict timing for meals. Do you just show up to any dining room or is there a set place? I know the buffet is always available.

Yes to dinng rooms. Don't know the times

On the first day we arrive in Seattle at 9am EST which is our 11am time. Its cutting it close to lunch time. When we get aboard, will there be lunch being served or do we have to wait until dinner? Im hoping by getting there bright and early we will go straight to the docks (princess transfer) and get in line and onboard early. The boat leaves at 4, Im hoping to be at the docks by 10.

Lunch will be served while you are waiting for your baggage to be delivered to your stateroon

Anyways, we always carry snacks to carry her over but I was wondering if you guys had some insight.

See above

Usually only one dining room is open during the day for breakfast and lunch and the menu for each is on display before you enter. Embarkation day is a little different. Depending on your ship, the dining room may not be open. The buffet will definately be open though, as well as the burger and pizza bars.

If we get aboard early, my husband I and usually go straight to whichever diningroom is open for lunch. Seems like most people don't know that they can get a nice lunch in the diningroom on embarkation day. It's usually pretty empty. Depends on what time one gets aboard.

8mpg,

Unfortunately, it looks as though you have been given some seriously wrong information.

On a cruise, there is only one meal per day consisting of various courses as follows:

It begins with tea or coffee brought to your cabin by your steward and continues with breakfast in the dining room or buffet. You may then settle down for elevenses as a mid-morning snack, which sets you up nicely for lunch in the dining room or buffet. You should then progress to afternoon tea before preparing for dinner. Following dinner you will have time to take in a show before visiting the midnight buffet, returning to your cabin and turning in for the evening. However, you may require your cabin steward to bring along a nightcap.

I should point out that, should you become peckish at any time between courses, there are several food dispensing outlets throughout the ship.

One thing that I have noticed is the tendency for the sea air to shrink one's clothes.:D

I hope that this has been of some assistance to you.

David

8mpg,

Unfortunately, it looks as though you have been given some seriously wrong information.

On a cruise, there is only one meal per day consisting of various courses as follows:

It begins with tea or coffee brought to your cabin by your steward and continues with breakfast in the dining room or buffet. You may then settle down for elevenses as a mid-morning snack, which sets you up nicely for lunch in the dining room or buffet. You should then progress to afternoon tea before preparing for dinner. Following dinner you will have time to take in a show before visiting the midnight buffet, returning to your cabin and turning in for the evening. However, you may require your cabin steward to bring along a nightcap.

I should point out that, should you become peckish at any time between courses, there are several food dispensing outlets throughout the ship.

One thing that I have noticed is the tendency for the sea air to shrink one's clothes.:D

David

LOL!

dak, Hmmm, curious phenomenon that occurs while cruising, eh? :eek: Hilarious post. :D

My DH couldn't believe I had such a delightful trip through the dessert plate I put together for our passage through the Panama Canal. :rolleyes:

8mpg,

David

LOL...

Thanks guys, just wondering if we needed to try and find some lunch at the airport before we leave, and what we should do for breakfast/lunch. I prefer a nice sit down restaurant over buffet

DAK, great post. :)

MPG, it might be a few hours from the time you arrive until you actually board the ship. I'd suggest getting a snack at the airport if meal times must be managed closely. The Horizon Court buffet will definitely be open when you board, as will the pizza stand and burger bar. Sometimes a dining room is open; sometimes there is a wedding party or TA's lunch going on and it's not available to passengers. If you can get into the dining room, that's what I'd suggest. Princess has some great lunch menus.

Will they serve you a sit-down meal for breakfast and lunch?

I was under the impression that breakfast and lunch were set out as a buffet and that only dinner was where they would bring you your food.

(sailing Golden Princess in June to Alaska)

Will they serve you a sit-down meal for breakfast and lunch?

I was under the impression that breakfast and lunch were set out as a buffet and that only dinner was where they would bring you your food.

(sailing Golden Princess in June to Alaska)

Yes, they serve a sit-down breakfast and lunch every full day you're on board in the dining rooms. The only exception is the day you board (they may not serve a sit-down lunch), and the day you disembark (they may not serve a sit-down breakfast, or they may have very short/early hours for breakfast in the dining room.)

Only one of the dining rooms will be open from breakfast and lunch. Just check the Princess Patter to see which dining room is serving breakfast and which dining room is serving lunch (it may be the same one!).

I will definately be on the cruise fashions boards advising everybody to start bringing their clothes in a larger size from now on...why weren't we told about that darn sea air before?:p

I believe that there is a conspiracy between the clothing maufacturers and the cruise lines. It's clearly a marketing ploy. The cruising fratenity is quite obviously a dumping ground for inferior quality material, otherwise why would it shrink?

David

Great!

So, is breakfast and lunch first-come first-served like Anytime dining at dinner? Or are there assigned times for each like there is with Traditional dining?

Breakfast and lunch in the DR are always open seating, just show up anytime during the posted times, which will be in the daily Princess Patter. However, some posters have written that they felt rushed if they arrived shortly before closing time, so keep that in mind. For the OP, I always think that a Princess cruise is perfect for diabetics because there is food available somewhere 24 hrs a day. Some of the other lines have more rigid dining hours, which is also less convenient when returning from shore, recovering from a big breakfast, and so on.....

The Welcome Aboard lunch in the dining room was our best meal at sea. We met some wonderful people, everybody was so excited, and we had the best waiter. On Princess, food is always plentiful. I probably gained the most weight on our Princess cruise. Loved the buffet area - especially the English sausages at breakfast. I just couldn't stay away. :)

If the items were American Made it would be so much the better.:cool:

Shrinking would not be a problem as they would be made better with Real Fit Models.

The one size fits all too has benefits..

When are the old Roman fashions coming back..

TOGA Time...:eek:

I believe that there is a conspiracy between the clothing maufacturers and the cruise lines. It's clearly a marketing ploy. The cruising fratenity is quite obviously a dumping ground for inferior quality material, otherwise why would it shrink?

David

Definitely pack some snacks for embarkation day as you won't know ahead of time when you'll actually get onboard. Sometimes immigration/customs may take longer for those leaving the ship. You may be waiting a while in the terminal just getting processed and going through security. As soon as you get on the ship and unload your carryons in your cabin, you can head to the Horizon Court (or whatever the buffet is called on your ship) and have lunch.

After that first day, you have many choices for lunch on most ships. The dining room (open seating as stated above), the casual buffet, the grill and pizzeria by the pools and room service.

The same applies for the disembarkation. Have a snack ready just in case you can't get to the dining room for breakfast before it closes.

A big plus for us: on Princess, there's a mini-fridge in every cabin.

Archived