??? about carry-on stuff

joyous337

I have been reading all the rules about stuff you can carry on planes and I was wondering about a couple of things. I really don't like to check my bags when I fly, so I hope one of you guys can help me. I need to bring bug spray and wasn't sure how I can bring it on. I know I can, but wasn't clear if I had to put it in a clear container or if I can leave it in the original container as long as it's 3 oz. or less. Also, contacts solution. Can it be left in the original container as long as it's 3 oz or less? Basically, I guess I'm just not sure if all liquids/gels have to be in clear containers or if some can be left in their original containers (with the 3 oz rule). Any info is appreciated.

All liquids must be in 3-ounce or less containers. Then those 3-ounce or less containers must fit into a 1-quart zip-top-lock bag. The reason for everything fitting into the 1-quart bag is to limit the amount of liquids one brings on board.

As for the bug spray, if it is 3 ounces or less, feel free to carry it on (in the bag of course). If it's 3 ounces or more, you can either put it in checked luggage or just stop at a store in your final city and buy a bottle of bug spray there.

You can have one 1-quart clear zip-lock. Into that you place any liquids, gels, etc. as long as their containers are no larger than 3oz size, i.e., if you have a 4 oz size container that only has 3 oz left in it, the TSA will take it away. I'd stay away from clear containers and stick with the original container, since the original will have the fluid oz capacity on it somewhere. The zip-lock has to be able to close. You'll also have to take the zip-lock out of your carryon and put it on the carry-on conveyer/xray belt by itself. Hope this helps.

Thanks, guys, you were very helpful. :) I do have one more question. I'm having trouble finding sunscreen in 3 oz. quantities. I can only find 4 oz. or higher. So, I have to buy a 3 oz container to put it in, right? I saw these little bottles at the store that say they're for travel and hold 3 oz, but then it has a line and says to fill to that line for 3 oz. So, obviously the container holds more than 3 oz. So, the screener would probably take those away, right?

Not related to bug spray, but you ladies how did you handle your makeup?

I use Mary Kay in the compacts and you know our eye makeup eyeliner etc that are in the tubes are you allowed to carry them in your purse or do you put them in a zip lock bag or do you just put them in your check luggage.

Thanks,

Marcy

Not related to bug spray, but you ladies how did you handle your makeup?

I use Mary Kay in the compacts and you know our eye makeup eyeliner etc that are in the tubes are you allowed to carry them in your purse or do you put them in a zip lock bag or do you just put them in your check luggage.

Thanks,

Marcy

If the makeup is 3oz each and can fit in a 1 quart ziplock bag (only one bag), then you can carry it on the plane. Otherwise, you put it in your checked luggage.

Janet

Thanks sun & sea I don't think they are so I'll just put them in my checked luggage.

While I'm here what about any pills you take in the normal pill bottle, can you carry them in your purse or will I need to put them in a zip lock bag. I wonder if I need to make sure that bottle is 3 oz as well

Thanks,

Marcy

The pills only have to be in the ziploc bag if they're gel-caps. If they're solid pills, you can just carry the pill bottle and it doesn't have to be in the bag. Only liquids and gels have to be in the 3 oz. container and in the ziploc bags. Keep in mind that you're only allowed 1 ziploc bag of 3 oz containers in your luggage.

The pills only have to be in the ziploc bag if they're gel-caps. If they're solid pills, you can just carry the pill bottle and it doesn't have to be in the bag. Only liquids and gels have to be in the 3 oz. container and in the ziploc bags. Keep in mind that you're only allowed 1 ziploc bag of 3 oz containers in your luggage.

Ok, so what your saying is (1) ziploc bag in your carry on luggage 3oz sizes only , but you can put whatever size in your checked luggage.

I'll be ok with the pills they are solid.

I don't mean to sound so stupid but just don't want to be stop and not able or delay board or miss the Plane the Plane.

Also while I'm here taking food aboard the plane, like little Debbie cake and small bags of chips and packs of crackers is it ok to put those items in you purse or should they go in a ziploc bag as well.

thanks joyous337

Marcy

Here's the checklist for carryons. Use it as a decision tree and you should have all your answers.

1) If it is a liquid or gel, it is restricted. If it is a solid, it is not. Think of the difference between a solid deodorant and a gel deodorant. If in doubt, put it in the restricted category, as it is likely the TSA will do the same.

2) If it is restricted, is it in a 3oz (or 100ml) or less sized container. Not how much is in it - the container size. If no, it cannot be in your carry-on.

3) You are allowed to have as many 3oz or less containers as you want, provided you can put them all into a 1 quart plastic, sealable baggie. Anything more than what will fit into the baggie is not allowed in your carry-on.

4) You are allowed only 1 baggie per person.

Just follow the above and it should all work out.

As for food: Ham sandwich - solid. Yogurt - gel. Banana - solid. Cottage cheese - gel. You can get the idea.

• 2 weeks later...
I need to bring bug spray and wasn't sure how I can bring it on. I know I can, but wasn't clear if I had to put it in a clear container or if I can leave it in the original container as long as it's 3 oz. or less.

I think this has been answered.

Also, contacts solution. Can it be left in the original container as long as it's 3 oz or less?

This is the one that has good news.. Here is a quote from the TSA website:

To ensure the health and welfare of certain air travelers, in the absence of suspicious activity or items, greater than 3 ounces of the following liquids, gels and aerosols are permitted through the security checkpoint in reasonable quantities for the duration of your itinerary (all exceptions must be presented to the security officer in front of the checkpoint):

(Italics are mine.)

They go on to state:

You are allowed reasonable amounts over 3 ounces of the items above in your carry-on baggage, but you will need to perform the following:

1. Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.
  2. Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.
  3. Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening.

I found this info at:

http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

I have never tested the contact lens stuff on a flight, but after I was told about this on my last trip I resolved to try it out the next trip. I suspect that enforcement will depend on how cranky the TSA person is that day. I will probably print a copy of this page to take with me.

Pete

Archived