Sea Trek Helmet Dive?

pjsbabybj

Has anyone been on this type of excursion? I am especially interested in info on helmet diving in Grand Turk? I think I would enjoy it, but my husband says he'd prefer to hear from someone who'd done it before we booked the excursion. Is it fun? Is it worth the cost? I have snorkled before in Cozumel, but didn't feel like I got to see much. Hoping helmet diving would allow me to see more. Thanks in advance for any responses! :)

I did this in St. Thomas 3 years ago ( I have a picture of me underwater on my office wall). I don't swim and I had the time of my life. It was great, well worth the money. This is one thing you will never forget.

431470068107_0_ALB.jpg

Here is a picture of us doing the helmet dive in St. Thomas. I hope this works. This picture is of the guide feeding the fish. They come right up to you.

We had sooooooooooooooooo much fun. No you do not need to know how to swim. There is a guide and a scuba diver along with you for safety.

We are booking another cruise which is also going to St. Thomas and we are going to do it again. The kids asked to do it and we just had so much fun.

If you want to know this was taken with a disposable underwater camera by Kodak. And the scuba diver will take pics of you with your own camera.

Has anyone been on this type of excursion? I am especially interested in info on helmet diving in Grand Turk? I think I would enjoy it, but my husband says he'd prefer to hear from someone who'd done it before we booked the excursion. Is it fun? Is it worth the cost? I have snorkled before in Cozumel, but didn't feel like I got to see much. Hoping helmet diving would allow me to see more. Thanks in advance for any responses! :)

We did the helmet dive excursion in Cozumel. I wanted to give you a warning about it though. I suffer from asthma & was unable to complete the dive. I was only able to make it down 15 ft max. Then the pressure on my chest got to be too much & I couldn't breath. They had to take me back to the surface. My husband finished the out the dive & said it was awesome. From what I saw it was very neat.

If something like this would happen, remember to leave your underwater camera with the person staying. Our camera was on my wrist & went back to the surface with me. Oops! Also, they of course would not refund any money.

It was definitely a neat excursion though. Even if I didn't get to finish it.

We did the Helmet dive in Aruba. It was GREAT!!!. I do not swim and neither does DH. If you are afraid, just tell the guides. They will stay close until you are comfortable. It will be on the top of our list to do again if it's offered.

We did the Sea Trek dive in Montego Bay last September. Best excursion of the trip (Sting Ray City and Tulumn also).

There were 12 of us on the trip. We were broken into two groups of 6 and taken down one group at a time, with our group in the second set. We sat on the beach and in the water while waiting.

DW, Mother & I had no problems (53, 78, & 54 respectively). Father (77) had some minor ear problems on the way down, and said it started to bother him again while we were waiting to climb the ladder back out. Take it very slow going down.

I was disappointed in our underwater pictures (Kodak disposable from Wal*Mart at home), not enough light to really show the colors. They were better than the ones my parents took (disposable purchased on ship). Not sure if problems were the camera, the x-rays at the airport or the photographer. Parents did have more problems with their camera at Sting Ray City - so I'd suggest purchasing one ahead of time. I'm trying to find one with a flash or find a good case for my good digital camera.

We all commented afterwards on the apparent lack of fish in the water as seen from the dock, and how many we saw once underwater. The difference was fantastic.

Bottom line - do the Sea Trek. Yes, it is worth the $$$.

We did the helmet dive excursion in Cozumel. I wanted to give you a warning about it though. I suffer from asthma & was unable to complete the dive. I was only able to make it down 15 ft max. Then the pressure on my chest got to be too much & I couldn't breath. They had to take me back to the surface. My husband finished the out the dive & said it was awesome. From what I saw it was very neat.

If something like this would happen, remember to leave your underwater camera with the person staying. Our camera was on my wrist & went back to the surface with me. Oops! Also, they of course would not refund any money.

It was definitely a neat excursion though. Even if I didn't get to finish it.

Thanks for posting this warning. I would love to try the Sea Trek Helmet Dive but I also have mild asthma. I'm too afraid to try this excursion out of fear that I will talk myself into an asthma attack and not be able to do the dive. I would love to see people's pictures of these dives. I think that unfortunately this dive is not for me.

We did the helmet dive many years ago in St Thomas, long before CCl ever endorsed this excursion. We enjoyed it so much. I am one who is fearful of the ocean and it was great experience for me.

We got back to the ship and made it a point to let the excursion desk know what a great time we had. Now low and behold they have added it to the list of excursions.

I would recommend this to any one.

Archived