Does this website ever make you NOT want to cruise?

8mpg

Well, Im still new around here and my first cruise is upcoming and have relied on this site for learning the basics of what I need to do to be ready... Only problem is, there is so much negative stuff about ports of call, cruise ships, cruise staff, food...the list just goes ON, and ON, and ON. These "norovirus" threads make you wonder if you are going to get sick or not...and it makes the "stomach flu" sound like we are all going to die if we get it.

As a first time cruiser, I might have not booked my trip after reading here simply because all of the negative things I read here. What are your thoughts?

Not at all..........I have learned that every single post is fact, fiction or somewhere in between........but in MOST cases.......it is simply a subjective opinion..........good ship, bad ship, good food, bad food.........I try and learn as much as I can..........and still understand it is simply opinion.........and subjective opinion at that.....nothing more and nothing less.

I tend to stay away from the obviously negative threads. I know some people do have a bad experience but some people seem to only have negative experiences. A cruise is what you make of it and I have yet to have a bad one.

Don't let the things anyone says on here turn you off from cruising. Sure, there's a lot of negative....but look at who's saying it. A lot of times it's the same people over and over or it's someone that just signed up to post something negative and get people worked up. Look at the whole picture and take everything with a grain of salt.

On the flip side.....there's also a lot of positive on these boards. Everyone's trip is going to be different, obviously...but in the end your cruise is going to be what you make it. If you go in with a positive attitude and don't let the little things get to you, you're going to have a great vacation! :)

I think the main concept that most people post is to be careful in everything you do but have a good time and cherish every moment of every day. Hopefully that's how your first cruise will be.....and it will lead to a life of cruising! The odds are with you that you're going to have the time of your life!

Have fun!

Your question asks, does the website make you not want to cruise and that answer is no.

Now if you asked if the people on this website ever make me not want to cruise....:rolleyes: .

The people here are a sample representation of the people you meet on a cruise...you got the good, the bad and the ugly. And as the above poster says, there is the truth, the fiction and somewhere in the middle.

That said, I go on cruises and try to be safe, be prepared and not sweat the small stuff. This site has made me aware of the big stuff that can go wrong and how some people can blow the small stuff out of proportion.

Would I not cruise because of something I read on this site, maybe. I, personally, will not stop in Aruba but that is just me. Someone might jump all over me for my opinion and that is o.k. I have big shoulders ;) I can take it.

The negativeness of these boards doesn't bother me. I have even written a few negative reports when I felt that they were deserved. For example last Oct/Nov we did back-to-back cruises on the same ship, Volendam. Seattle sent an "overseer" down to check on things while we were on our first cruise. He ordered lower quality of meats, dropped several things we have all gotten used to, etc. and our second cruise went downhill. I reported this under a thread entitled "It was like being on 2 different cruise lines".

As a first time cruiser, I might have not booked my trip after reading here simply because all of the negative things I read here. What are your thoughts?

Go one one cruise of your own (with an open mind to just have a great vacation) and you'll never worry again. From that moment on, you'll take things with a grain of salt. For every negative report, there are many, many positive ones.

There's a reason why cruising is so popular and each ship usually sails at capacity, regardless of the time of the year. If things were really as negative as some people report, there would be mostly empty sailings and the cruising industry would be in big trouble.

Kim

Go one one cruise of your own (with an open mind to just have a great vacation) and you'll never worry again. From that moment on, you'll take things with a grain of salt. For every negative report, there are many, many positive ones.

There's a reason why cruising is so popular and each ship usually sails at capacity, regardless of the time of the year. If things were really as negative as some people report, there would be mostly empty sailings and the cruising industry would be in big trouble.

Kim

Oh we are going no matter what :) We leave this saturday. Its just sorta of a killer to read all the nonsense on here when you are thinking of planning a cruise. I think there is a wealth of information but some of the negative is really a turnoff. My friend told me about this website but forewarned me about he negative comments and the complaints. He told me to make sure I took it with a grain of salt but man, it overwhelmed me. I didnt know about this site until AFTER I booked and paid in full.

Though I have learned a lot, I must say that I will have to take my own trip to see how it really pans out.

Have a wonderful cruise. Nothing is perfect and if you go with that attitude you will be fine. We have had some negative things happen but they all lend themselves to the total cruise experience and cruising is what we would rather be doing than anything else. We now laugh about the "not so perfect" things and they are all part of our memories. Write a review when you get home and let us know you are a cruise addict like us.

Oh! That will be so nice! I haven't been to Alaska yet...you'll have to let us know what you thought of it when you return. And....photos are always appreciated! ;) I've seen some gorgeous ones from Alaskan cruises.

always go on a cruise or site with an open mind..

a cruise is what you make of it..(not what others say or do)

ALWAYS GO WITH A POSITIVE ATTITUDE

You will never be sorry..

I do have a positive attitude for our cruise... my family keeps saying I wont shut up about it :p I just wonder if it would deter someone from cruising if they had no warning before reading this site.

Pictures and a full review will be up as soon as we get back. We have 3GB worth of memory cards for the camera :D

This site just reminds me that there will be some people on board that I probably wouldn't want to spend any time with.

On the other hand I've read reviews/postings from some people that I hope I get to buy a froo froo drink for someday on board.

You will notice that on about day 5 or so of a cruise that people start getting tired/homesick/hungover and aren't quite as polite to each other as when they they first got on board.

there are more than a few ppl I'd not want to meet up with in ports to share some drinking...or shopping...or drunk shopping, come to think of it ;). Especially in Mexico...heheh

there are more than a few ppl I'd not want to meet up with in ports to share some drinking...or shopping...or drunk shopping, come to think of it ;). Especially in Mexico...heheh

lol..

As everyone has said, I take everything here with a grain of salt. There are some people you can never make happy, and some people that are happy all the time. I think most of us are some where in the middle..;) Some of the posts are scary though - I personally will NEVER go into a pool on a ship again after reading that thread.... but everything else, I just take as input (unknown whether it's good input) and if enough people say it, maybe it's possible it's correct. I've been on a few cruises, 1 that was beyond spectacular, and the others had good and bad points. Where cruising will never be my main source of vacations (seasickness issue) - I'm going to Alaska in a couple months, and I've never heard anyone say they didn't have a fabulous time!!! From what I hear, you will be in total awe at the beauty you will see (I CAN'T WAIT!!!). If something irritating happens to you on your cruise ship - it'll make for great stories... It just doesn't get any better than that!!!:D

Actually, it has made me not want to cruise to the Caribbean!

I've been on 11 cruises so far, different lines different places, but never to the Caribbean. I'm just not crazy for crowds and with multiple ships in port that's what you have. So, I think we've kind of decided against the Caribbean, perhaps a less crowded southern route would work for us.

The negative posts I don't happen to mind, sometimes I learn a lot from them (what to avoid). I also think after going on a few cruises, you can kind of imagine the people behind the posts, you see and hear people on cruise ships that are expecting the unreasonable and want it for nothing.

Then, there are the people who just can't seem to have a nice time, no matter what. Those are the type I turn my heel on and walk away/

We all have our preferences for vacations, a cruise isn't a good fit for everyone. We love being on the ocean, so much so that we can overlook some of the minor changes we've experienced over the years. I'd much rather cruise than a weekend in Vegas, I'll never go camping again and I don't care at all to drive long distances.

I wouldn't let anything I read on the board keep me from cruising. Cruising is what you make of it. We have had a few bad cabins (location) and met a few people we wish we would never meet again on a cruise (and probably won't) but the experience is what you make it out to be. I am so envious of you going to Alaska. My DH won't do the Alaska. He needs to go where it is warm. If I am going to Alaska it will be with a friend. Have a good time and dress warm as it will be chilly. Can't wait to hear your report and see your pictures upon your return.

Ann

I love cruising so much that I don't think anything could make me not want to cruise. I have learned that everyone has their own opinions and I don't put too much weight behind the complaints. What someone else is bothered by might not be any big deal to me. I hope that you love cruising as much as my DH and I do.

We've taken 4 cruises. One was great - the stuff that dreams are made of. One we got "the virus" on & the other two were not good for a number of major reasons which were not of our doing. We still would like to cruise again and I have been monitoring various cruise line boards hoping to avoid past mistakes & come up with a winner. I now know what to look for, but it's not always easy to find. Sometimes the things I read here which are true - such as HAL closing a major venue on one of their ships during the entire cruise because it was rented to a private party for the whole cruise (without informing other passengers first) - make me think it would be wise to take a land-based vacation. But I keep looking ...

Archived