Cruise Ship Sinking: Empress of the North NOT a RCCL ship

tlf

According to Webster:

Cruise - a pleasure voyage, to travel about as for pleasure.

Ship - a deep-water vessel; an aircraft or spacecraft to transport.

The Empress Of The North seems to fit the definition to me, considering she has a 12'6" draft.

Fran,

The Empress of the North is doing 7 night roundtrips out of Juneau from May til early September. There´s a repositioning cruise Seattle/Juneau (11 nights) at the beginning and the end of the Alaska season. During the rest of the years she´s doing 7 night cruises out of Portland, OR, on the Columbia, Willamette and Snake rivers.

In Alaska she´s sailing out of Juneau - Glacier Bay National Park - Skagway - Sitka - Petersburg/Wrangell - Dawes Glacier - Juneau. Prices do include all shore tours. Our route in 2005 was a bit different. We sailed out of Juneau - Skagway - Glacier Bay National Park - Sitka - Petersburg/Wrangell - Misty Fjords/Ketchikan - Frederick Sound/Tracy Arms - Juneau.

steamboats

So, she's not a flatbottom riverboat, nor a large cruise ship, but technically she does both river and sea.....and they are cruises, whether on river or sea. Sounds like a cruise ship to me....:D Hope she can be repaired and go out again.

Thanks, Steamboats....

Fran,

Actually the Alaska Inside Passage is not regarded as "sea" but as inland waters. Therefore a river license is good for steering there too.

steamboats

I guess I was thinking more of the trip from Seattle up past Victoria. I call that sea :D:D The ferries won't cross the channel if the winds are too high....

Fran

From what I can see of the EMPRESS OF THE NORTH...I can almost guarantee that the hull is wide and shallow...and does not qualify as a "V" shaped hull. Also...see Lloyds Registry of Ships...not Webster's Dictionary...for proper definition of a ship. Again...the true definition is all about the mast configuration...again...THE EMPRESS OF THE NORTH does not qualify as a ship (due to mast configuration) or a "Blue Water" (yachting term) vessel. If it looks like a river boat and acts like a river boat...it must be...- ----- ----!!!:D

CGTNORMANDIE,

I totally agree with you regarding the terminology :D . But MAL doesn´t.

BTW the Empress of the North is drawing more than 12 ft. On the Mississippi river system a 9 foot channel is guaranteed by the US Army Corps of Engineers.

steamboats

Archived