Laptop security?

rfbdorf

Most laptops have a slot into which you can plug a security cable with a combination lock (rather like a bike lock). I can't speak to the security on HAL - though a lot of CCers seem to take their laptops, and I don't recall reading anything about a theft - but if you're concerned, the security cable might be something to check out. I have one, and I always use it when I leave my laptop unattended in a hotel room.

Richard I have taken my lap top on at least 6 cruises always leaving it out with absolutely no problems. I have also left my laptop in the Neptune when we first board before we could get to our cabin when we boarded the ship.

Most (all?) notebook/laptop computers have a slot for a security lock. These are lengths of steel cable with a special fitting/lock on one end that fits the slot on the PC (see http://www.kensington.com). You can secure the machine this way if you are really concerned --- and can find some place solid to loop the cable through :-)

Rarely have I found a room/cabin safe that is large enough to accomodate the entire PC (the room safe at our last hotel in Barcelona, Atrium Palace, was not only big enough for the PC it even had a power outlet inside to plug in the charger :-) So I've used the cable lock almost every time I travel. This spring we sailed on RCI 'Brilliance' to Europe and I never felt the need to secure the notebok on the ship --- I just left the PC on the shelf in the stateoom without a problem. I did however take the hard drive out and put IT in the safe --- Thinkpads have removable hard drives and as a longtime software developer I know the only really irreplaceable part of the notebook is the data, photos, etc., on the drive --- the rest of it is just a 'thing' and I lost my attachment to 'things' over the years.

I took my large (17" widescreen) laptop on my Volendam cruise last month. I used a security cable in my hotel room, but after a couple of nights on the ship, I just didn't feel that I needed any security precautions, so I just left it without the cable. There is a locking drawer in the nightstand, but it might not hold a large laptop.

Strangely enough, I was able to access the internet from my cabin, which was on the Lower Promenade deck near the stern. Not close to any hot spots.

I use a cable lock if I stay in a hotel before or after a cruise, but never bother with it on a ship, nor do I bother to put the laptop out of sight.

Sundagger: I think you had a friendly a/c duct acting as wave-guide!

I never thought about attaching a security cable before this thread but I can't find a place on my laptop to attach one. We were thinking we might bring my laptop on our upcoming Maasdam cruise......never have before but seeing as we are boarding close to home, it is so easy.

I wouldn't be nervous leaving it in our cabin without a security lock but I never would leave it in a hotel room.

I feel safe bringing it to Maasdam.

I never thought about attaching a security cable before this thread but I can't find a place on my laptop to attach one. ....

The port for attaching it is quite small and inconspicuous. Mine has a little picture next to it that looks sort of like a prongless electrical plug with two little links of chain coming off of it to the right. The port itself is just a plain hole, oval in shape, somewhat smaller than a USB port.

Most relatively new laptops do have them. Take the laptop to your friendly local computer store and they will help you figure it out. I must say the cable has made me much more secure about traveling with my new toy!

The port for attaching it is quite small and inconspicuous. Mine has a little picture next to it that looks sort of like a prongless electrical plug with two little links of chain coming off of it to the right. The port itself is just a plain hole, oval in shape, somewhat smaller than a USB port.

Most relatively new laptops do have them. Take the laptop to your friendly local computer store and they will help you figure it out. I must say the cable has made me much more secure about traveling with my new toy!

You're the best!!! Found it. I never would have noticed without your help.

Mine is located at the back and there is a padlock pictured above the small oval hole.

My laptop is only about 3 months old so happily it is there.

Thank you for your help. Appreciate it.

You are most welcome, Sail7Seas! I'm delighted to hear that my description was helpful. As a HAL newbie, I have learned a great deal from your posts, so I'm glad I was able to reciprocate in a small way.

Cable locks are really only good for stopping the "casual" thief-of-opportunity anyway. If someone really wants your computer bad enough, and has enough time, they'll get it, cable lock or not! :eek:

Cable locks are really only good for stopping the "casual" thief-of-opportunity anyway. If someone really wants your computer bad enough, and has enough time, they'll get it, cable lock or not! :eek:

Mmm, that's true of bike locks also, but it's still worth having one. A laptop cable will most likely prevent the snatch-and-dash theft at your local coffeehouse, which has apparently become all too common at least where I live. And a hotel employee or passerby might lift an unsecured laptop, but they'd be unlikely to have a bolt cutter handy. Nothing is foolproof, but a little security is better than none :rolleyes: - as long as you don't let it lull you into being careless.

I agree, Dave, that I don't really feel the need to lock up my laptop on an HAL ship but I am very grateful to "O2B@C" helping me find where to attach the cable should I wish to do so at some time or other. It never occured to me there was a way to provide any security so it's good to know about the ability to cable lock it.

Wondering about what the chances are that my laptop will "disappear" from my cabin if I bring it along on the cruise. How big is the safe provided on the Oosterdam?

- Richard

I had my laptop with me on the Veendam last month. It was never secured, and sometimes it was even laying out on the bureau recharging. No problems whatsoever. A cabin steward is not likely to take it since he will have nowhere to hide it. If a passenger reports their laptop missing, and it is discovered in his cabin or possession, he's history. He's not about to jeopardize his job just to steal something relatively inexpensive as a laptop.

Of course, make sure you always lock your cabin door behind you ... but I can't imagine you will have any problems. I never have.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived