question about cruising

ok here goes i have not yet been on a cruise love this site it gives me alot of info

was wondering if when you sail out you get a funny feeling in your stomach not being able to see land ? i know i must be nuts

but i dont fly anywhere i drive i think its a control thing but i thought how will i feel when the ship sails away and i cant see land .. will i feel trapped

or freak out knowing the only way to get to land is to SWIM LOL sorry was just wondering if anyone thought about this before and if so how did you deal with it

thank you all so much for your info

steveomaha

ok here goes i have not yet been on a cruise love this site it gives me alot of info

was wondering if when you sail out you get a funny feeling in your stomach not being able to see land ? i know i must be nuts

but i dont fly anywhere i drive i think its a control thing but i thought how will i feel when the ship sails away and i cant see land .. will i feel trapped

or freak out knowing the only way to get to land is to SWIM LOL sorry was just wondering if anyone thought about this before and if so how did you deal with it

thank you all so much for your info

steveomaha

Steve, I didn't want to cruise because I was aorried for the exact reasons you state - I thought I'd panic at knowing I couldn't get off the ship. Booked a cruise anyway.

I found when I cruised that none of that bothered me at all. I loved cruising, was so busy on the ship I didn't pay attention to not seeing land.

Now we try and cruise almost every year.

I don't know which ship you're sailing on, but I've been on the Soveriegn and the Majesty (the smaller ships) and it still feels like a floating hotel...never felt the least bit concerned. They are so huge!!

Never had that feeling so I'm probably not the one to answer your question.......but will tell you that today's modern ships you really feel almost like in a small city.........so much to see and so much to do just on the ship......you almost forget you are at sea.

I sure hate to fly. I actually need meds to go a long way. Cruising is the most relaxing vacation I've ever had. I never feel anxious. So much to do and so many other relaxed people too.

I thought I might feel the same way- because I can't go over a long bridge without getting a funny feeling the the pit of my stomach. I don't swim very well, and am very claustrophobic.

I never felt uncomfortable at all even of the top deck of the ship looking down - I could never do that on a bridge. Don't know why the ship is different but it just is.

We spend lots of time on our balcony when we cruise and I have never felt afraid of falling, etc.

I think it is just the fun of cruising and the feeling of being on a floating hotel that makes it so much more comfortable.

Book your cruise and have a great time. :D

thank you all so much was wondering my partner has cruised and said the same thing i was just making sure he wasnt trying to pull one over on me lol im such a big cruise addict i found this site my accident and i love it i come here every nite for hours looking at pics and reading post i go down to the ftlauderdale port on sunday mornings and watch the people board the ship and dream of me going on them one day and i have gone to miami and watched freedom sail out on her frist cruise and did the same with liberty i am thinking next yr we will go on a cruise we keep saying we are going to go but can never seem to find the time or the money to do so but im saving now for my first i put 10 dollars a day in a jar thats what i would of spent on cigs but i quit 3 weeks ago so far so good chantix rules lol

thank you all so much

steveomaha

The ships are actually much larger than your conception of them is. I think you will find that is the case when you are onboard. It truly is like being in a large resort hotel, which apparently you are comfortable with. :D They are just floating resorts which take you to new & exciting destinations!:)

Steve: I was nervous the first time too then once you have done it and realized it is the greatest way to vacation - the next feeling you will have is when is my next one!!! :D

Enjoy your cruise - as soon as you board and see all there is to see and do, that feeling will be long gone.

Good for you - quitting smoking. I think you will enjoy cruising - you can choose to be busy or just veg out by the pool. I am a little jealousl. We west coast cruisers have very little choice in which ships we can cruise without flying. I would love to take the 'happy hour specials' on a whim on the Voyager or Freedom class ships. OK even a Radiance class would be great.

I quit smoking over 20 years ago. My DH said - just be aware that there are 'danger' times. 1 wk 1 mo 3 mos 6 mos 1 yr 2 yrs etc. He told me just tell yourself - I don't do that (smoke) anymore.

omg you folks make me want to go on a cruise right now lol my bf told me to tell you not to encourge me lol he says they dont have to live with you when you dont get your way lol

thank you guys your the best i cant wait to cruise and meet you folks

thanks

steveomaha it should be steve fortlauderdale

You need to realize that you can't "swim" to safety in the ocean--The ocean is NOT a pool!!! You need to trust that the ship will get you where you need to go. Just like an airplane--the seats are flotation devices???? PLEASE!!! If you crash in the water--say goodbye!!!

Yes--our 1st cruise, leaving port did give us a "deserted" feeling--but we quickly got over it! You will, too!!!!

It is a visual thing. If you stand in a row boat, you cannot help but observe water. When you are on a ship, you may very well be staring out at nothing but water, but your periphial vision and your sense of balance, etc will convey a completely different message to your brain. Not sure I am spelling this right, but it is a spacial thing.

It is, honestly an assumed, perception. Once you are actually on a ship, even when moving from port, the perception changes almost immediately.

Bon Voyage!!!

thank you all so much was wondering my partner has cruised and said the same thing i was just making sure he wasnt trying to pull one over on me lol im such a big cruise addict i found this site my accident and i love it i come here every nite for hours looking at pics and reading post i go down to the ftlauderdale port on sunday mornings and watch the people board the ship and dream of me going on them one day and i have gone to miami and watched freedom sail out on her frist cruise and did the same with liberty i am thinking next yr we will go on a cruise we keep saying we are going to go but can never seem to find the time or the money to do so but im saving now for my first i put 10 dollars a day in a jar thats what i would of spent on cigs but i quit 3 weeks ago so far so good chantix rules lol

thank you all so much

steveomaha

Congrats on quiting. I just got my Chantix script filled and plan on starting in a week or so. We have a cruise booked for 05/09/2008 and I want to be able to pay for it with the $$ I save and save my life at the same time. I am 29 and have smoked since I was 11.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Jennifer

wow 29 your still a baby lol i am going to be 45 next week and that was my goal to be able to say i dont smoke on my 45th birthday but im my mind im still 25 lol chantix is great watch out for the dreams omg there so real and the queezie feeling in your stomach will pass in a few mins try drinking some water when you feel nauses it does help god luck if you need to talk about anything or want to vent or scream i am here for you i feel your pain but remember this to shall pass and chantix makes it easy to quit you can email me at stevenm37@aol.com i dont know if this is allowed on here but thats my email feel free to ask any questions you have

to all of the other posters your really such a great bunch of people you make everyone feel so wellcomed

thank you so much

steveomaha

This cracked me up b/c I worried about this before I went on my first cruise too!!!!!!!! I am NOT a good traveler and didn't think I would be able to handle it :) But, for whatever reason, it never bothered me. Probably, like most people said, it's the size of the ship.

But also, I was on a Caribbean cruise, so except for 1 or 2 sea days every day we were coming into a port so there actually wasn't that much time where you couldn't see land.

I think also (this is going to seem crazy) but the boat is so big so when you're on the side of it, like on the balcony of your room, some part of you just assumes that there is land on the other side that you can't see. There are times when you're up top and can see both sides, but then I guess I always assumed that there was land on the back side that I couldn't see. I CLEARLY don't know any of the correct nautical terms, and maybe I'm the only one who thinks this... I'm reaching for explanations here!:)

Archived