Early vs. Late Dinner Seatings

jean212

We've always had early dinner seatings and then went to see the nightly show after dinner. My DH would always nod off during the after dinner show. This year we've reserved the 8 p.m. sitting so we could see the show first and then dinner. And also, are the shows over by 8 p.m. in order for us to be punctual for dinner?

I don't think so? I thought the early show was at 8:30 and the late show at 10:30? Altho on some nights it is a bit earlier - in case of a deck party or something else happening later that evening!

We always get late seating - and barely make it in time for the 10:30 show! Maybe a little nap in the afternoon might help dh stay awake later? :D

Froufie

I guess I should have verified this with our TA. I'll have to go back and re-do our reservations. Thanks for setting me straight. I don't think we'll ever be able to stay up for the 10:30 show, and naps make me groggy.(?)

Hi Jean, and welcome to the boards.:) Since it's been awhile since you were on a Carnival ship, you may not remember, but...

The early diners (5:45 or 6:15) attend the early performance at 8:30.

The late diners (8:00 or 8:30) attend the late performance at 10:30.

They set it up this way so that there are enough seats for everyone at the shows; i.e., late diners don't go to the early shows. Works out well for everyone that way.:)

Just wondering if your TA didn't explain to you that your request for a specific dining time is just that - a request. No one knows for sure (except Platinum passengers) which seating assignment they have until they receive their Sail & Sign cards just prior to boarding the ship. If not to your liking, you can see the Maitre d' at the appointed time and request a change.

I have asked for early seating this time around. I don't expect to be out on excursions all that late this cruise, and it will let me do some nightlife and then a midnight snack ;)

I have enjoyed late seating in the past, so if I get changed it won't be a disaster. I'm thinking of making a payment of half of what I still owe soon, and will get my past guest number to AAA and reiterate my request.

I'm with Ken... bring on the midnight buffet!

I prefer the earlier seating as there is so much going on from 8pm to midnight - we just don't want to miss a thing! The ships are accomodating in that everyone will see the show, but it's nice to make it an option to rather go to the 9pm Kareoke and digest some food before going for late dancing in the clubs!

The primary advantage of having the later seating is you have more time to prepare for dinner after returning from excursions... which can make a difference for the ladies on formal nights.

Happy Traveling, Eric (Buffet Master)

It's worth the call to your travel agent... I have this spooky feeling it could be 9pm+ before you are eating. It's never too late to change it if it's down to crunch time. All ya do is make a bee line immediately after boarding the ship (I mean within minutes!!!) and talk to the matre d. He is waiting for folks that are QUICK on board to make last minute changes graciously.

-Eric

Hi Jean, and welcome to the boards.:) Since it's been awhile since you were on a Carnival ship, you may not remember, but...

The early diners (5:45 or 6:15) attend the early performance at 8:30.

The late diners (8:00 or 8:30) attend the late performance at 10:30.

Unfortunately, I haven't sailed for almost 2 years:( , but I thought Carnival had changed the time of most of the shows so that late diners went to the show before dinner and early diners went to the after dinner show. Then, around 10:30pm there was usually some kind of comedy show. (I believe that's how it was on the Conquest when we sailed). Has Carnival changed back to the "old" way?

Who knows?:D They've changed things around before on other things... I just know that's the way it's been on ALL my Carnival cruises since I started cruising (again) in 2001..

on our past cruises, the shows are usually after dinner..for both early and late seatings...

however, at least one night and maybe 2 they had the show before the late dinner seating...and after for the early dinner seating....why??? i don't remember if there was a reason given...

Marsha

Which show is usually more crowded? the 1st show or 2nd show?

Thanks,

David.

IMO. The earlier shows tend to be filled up early, while the later show tends to get filled after it has started, but never fills up as much as the early show. The early show tends to have more kids, families, and elderly couples as it is more convenient for them to eat earlier.

however, at least one night and maybe 2 they had the show before the late dinner seating...and after for the early dinner seating....

Marsha

Perhaps I'm confusing (or confused)...:D When I say 'shows', I am referring to only the two big production shows. I don't go to any other type shows on board, so maybe I've confused someone...sorry.

Perhaps I'm confusing (or confused)...:D When I say 'shows', I am referring to only the two big production shows. I don't go to any other type shows on board, so maybe I've confused someone...sorry.

I think we're all talking about the same production shows. The times when there are usually one show is on embarkation night and the night before debarkation. I believe they do this because they know people are pooped from traveling all day on embarkation day and the night before debarkation they do this so people will have ample time to pack and still enjoy the little time they have left on the ship.

We asked for late dinner because we are doing excursions at every port, and we don't want to be rushed getting back and getting ready for dinner right away. I don't even know that I want to go to any shows. Are they really entertaining? Are there other things going on besides the shows after the late dinners?

Archived