Do you buy all new clothes each cruise?

oraf7

My family and I will be on the RCC Adventure of the Seas on July 29...only a few weeks away. Do most people wear the long formal style dresses on formal nights or "the little black dress" cocktail style dresses? We did a Carnival cruise last year and I don't think I saw one person wear a long dress. Since this is a different cruise line, I didn't know what I'd see more of.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Tracy

Tracy, you will be fine either way. If you prefer a cocktail

dress, you will see plenty of them.....if you prefer a long dress,

I say go for it as well.

Enjoy your cruise:)

My family and I will be on the RCC Adventure of the Seas on July 29...only a few weeks away. Do most people wear the long formal style dresses on formal nights or "the little black dress" cocktail style dresses? We did a Carnival cruise last year and I don't think I saw one person wear a long dress. Since this is a different cruise line, I didn't know what I'd see more of.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Tracy

It's been 4 years since I was on AOS but I found that there were a good number of long dresses on both formal nights. Since the ship attracts some folks from PR there were quite a number that dressed up every evening. On RCI you will be fine in either short or long so bring what you most enjoy wearing.

AOS is a nice ship...have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my vacations I tend to buy new clothes and mix in a few pieces I have in my wardrobe. Thing is I tend to shop a lot so I always have something "new" at home anyway! I think shopping for a vacation is all part of the fun too. ;)

No one on the vessel has seen your old clothes before.

You will never see these people again in your life.

So bring and wear your old clothes and throw them away after using them.

Makes for a very light suit case coming home.

Also an excellent chance to clean out your closets.

I could never do this. I dress to please myself and DH. Wearing clothes ready for the garbage would make me feel awful about myself. Doesn't matter if anyone would know me or not.

But hey, if it works for you, sounds like a good system and leaves room for purchases!

We were having this debate over being in pictures with the same clothes as the last cruise. So do you think about this and buy all new clothes for each trip?? I don't want the same dressed in my formal pics but how about the rest of the trip??

I never buy clothes specifically for a cruise. That's too expensive for me. I prefer to get a lot of wearing out of each garment. I'd hate for an outfit to be out of style after only having worn it a couple of times because I was "saving" it. That just doesn't make any sense to me. I wear what I own, buy new things as styles change and bring what I have on my cruise.

I don't mind repeating clothes, but to be honest, I have enough tops and buy new ones for "everyday" so that my photo's from cruise to cruise have never shown me in the same top twice. And who would notice if I had the same bottoms on? Even *I* wouldn't remember! LOL!

I don't like to repeat formals because of the photo's, but fortunately, a few of our cruises have been with a line that doesn't have any formal nights and for the ones that do, I have enough formal wear to have not duplicated anything yet.

Yes I have to admit I shop for new clothing for each cruise. I know that is terrible but I just would not want to have formal pictures with the same dress on. The oufits that I buy are always functional after the cruise. The dresses that I choose for the nightly dinners, I can wear to Church, the tops and pants I can wear to work the rest of the year and since my husband is a musician I need clothes for functions at parties, Christmas, New Years, etc, so the more formal dresses get extra mileage that way. Of couse this gives me reason to purchase new shoes!:D Or am I just trying to rationalize this?:)

So far, for this cruise, the only thing I think I need to buy is white heels and a white purse. I'd love to find a couple new sundresses, but I'll survive if I don't. I keep looking at bathing suits online but I must have about 20! As for formal dresses, I've been to enough evening weddings that I still have dresses I haven't worn on a cruise. It wouldn't bother me to have a picture taken in a dress I'd worn before, though.

As for throwing clothes away, I think that's terrible ... unless we're talking about really ratty stuff. And if we are, why would you be wearing it on a cruise?

I usually buy cruise cloths at the better thrift stores. If you havent done this, you would be amazed at the good buys you can find sometimes. Best bets are the glittery tops and gowns, formal dresses, nice pant outfits . Sometimes you get lucky and find really nice daytime things and swim suits, etc. Apparently lots of women only wear the cloths once or twice then donate or consign them .Look for the upscale thrift places run by non profit groups-- they usually have the best things but even Good Will ,etc can have treasures sometimes.

Yep! ITA...I have found really nice evening bags at thrift stores----literally NEW!

I have also found some really cool 'tropical' shirts & tops that STILL had their price tag on them at thrift shops! Guess when the owners got home ...they didn't want to wear those Hawaiian shirts around town...so donated them. Nice for me, cause I got my DH one and got myself a couple too. LOL:D

I wear the tropical stuff I bought new mostly on cruises. So they have only been worn a few times...so no need to buy that stuff again. I have worn one formal twice...will probably wear the other one again and get a new one for this upcoming cruise. I do not buy a swimsuit each year cause I don't use it except on vacations. As for pants and capris I get a couple new ones, a few new tops..but as for dress shoes (black)...nope had those for awhile and will continue to wear them on all cruises.

Nope don't buy new clothing for each cruise. I "shop" in my closet which has a ton of stuff since I shop a lot and have to wear formals etc often for work and I have plenty of separates as well if I want to mix it up for any occasion

Archived