Do you buy all new clothes each cruise?

oraf7

We were having this debate over being in pictures with the same clothes as the last cruise. So do you think about this and buy all new clothes for each trip?? I don't want the same dressed in my formal pics but how about the rest of the trip??

We were having this debate over being in pictures with the same clothes as the last cruise. So do you think about this and buy all new clothes for each trip?? I don't want the same dressed in my formal pics but how about the rest of the trip??

No, I don't buy cruise specific clothes but I do shop quite a bit anyway.

I bought tons of new clothes for my trip but most of it was stuff I'd use at home too.

I did the same thing. We've never cruised before, so I did need to pick up some more dining room appropriate capris and skirts. Most of my summer clothes for "at home" wear consist of denim shorts and t-shirts. I'm really liking my new "summer" look! :)

I'm wearing some of the new tops I bought for the cruise at home beforehand too. I bought a new swimsuit (haven't worn my old one in about 6 years), water shoes, and a new pair of sandals.

I have a few new items this time - mostly tops. AND I have a lovely new PURPLE long formal - and for second night I'll wear my turquoise formal that I wore last October. Its nice though to have at least one new formal outfit (Now if I can just keep from shopping for formal clothes between now and August). Jan ... wait I forgot - I have one new capri outfit and a few new pairs of shorts --- perhaps I have shopped more than I thought~~~

So do you think about this and buy all new clothes for each trip?? I don't want the same dressed in my formal pics but how about the rest of the trip??

:eek: Oh HECK no...that would be financially insane for me to do. I rarely shop specifically for the cruise - maybe for formal stuff, but not for the other. But I shop for clothes all through the year - so I always have new & different things to take. I bought new swimsuits last year, so I had new ones to take on the last cruise, but I doubt I'll be replacing those anytime soon - I love them. New shoes? Heck I am a shoe freak so I always have something new to take. :o I just take what I have...some new, some not.

I went BUCKWILD last year for my first cruise!

This year, the only new stuff I plan on getting is:

A new formal dress ONLY if I'm in love with it and it's below 50 bucks on markdown.

Maybe one pair of capris.

Comfy flip flops (my cushiony cherokee ones from Target broke a couple months ago)

Cheap, cute sundress.

And probably a couple of cheap tops.

No new bathing suits

No new shoes (this one will be HARD), except maybe formal.

No new shorts

No more bags!!

No more jewelry

Last year I bought several hundred dollars in clothes because I didn't own any vacation/beach/summer clothes

I actually have a whole bunch of stuff that I never wear anywhere BUT onboard a cruise (cocktail wear, swimsuits, certain shorts etc.). I've complied it over the course of the past 3 years and it's pretty timeless stuff. Can't think of one new thing I'd need to get for next time.

BTW, we actually make a point of having a portrait taken on every cruise with the pair of us wearing the same clothes; a little dorkey:o maybe but it's made for some fun memories for us!

Happy Sails,

Annette

I usually buy cruise cloths at the better thrift stores. If you havent done this, you would be amazed at the good buys you can find sometimes. Best bets are the glittery tops and gowns, formal dresses, nice pant outfits . Sometimes you get lucky and find really nice daytime things and swim suits, etc. Apparently lots of women only wear the cloths once or twice then donate or consign them .Look for the upscale thrift places run by non profit groups-- they usually have the best things but even Good Will ,etc can have treasures sometimes.

I really try to wear/take clothes that I already have. I do like to buy at least one new formal for the cruise if there are 2 formal nights. But it is not a necessity.

I rather spend the money on the cruise than on the clothes especially if clothes we already have will be just fine.

I don't buy new clothes specifically for a cruise, except maybe a formal dress as it's the only chance I have to really dress up. I do however buy clothes with the cruise in mind. The same clothes that I wear at home, here in Florida, fit in perfectly with the cruise enviornment, so they definitely get their wear.

The way my weight has fluctuated in the past 3 years... yes, i've had to buy nearly all new clothes for each trip i go on. The cruise I took before our honeymoon, i was much smaller then...as opossed to have a baby, gaining weight, losing weight, body shape etc.... i had to get new clothes! (oh well :D).. I LOVE shopping.

I only did this on my first cruise (too excited) and partially for the second, then I wised up. I think I spent more than the cruise fare the first time around :rolleyes: .

But, like many others I don't buy "cruise clothes", only things I will wear around here as well. I do have a couple of photos on my office walls of me in the same formal clothes, it doesn't bother me at all. I always keep my eye out for formal clothing at deep discount, I don't think I've spent more than $30 on a formal outfit in several years.

I have a relative who wears the same clothes every time she comes to visit. It's kind of funny, seeing our pictures from this year and 10 years ago with her in the same exact outfits. Not a typo either, 10 years or even more. I think her stirrup pants may see another fashion cycle :) .

No one on the vessel has seen your old clothes before.

You will never see these people again in your life.

So bring and wear your old clothes and throw them away after using them.

Makes for a very light suit case coming home.

Also an excellent chance to clean out your closets.

Oh yes I am totally guilty of this! I always buy almost all new clothes for cruises! Not only because I wouldn't be able to tell which cruise I was on in pictures because of the same stuff I was wearing, but I always feel really proud of the little cute ensembles I put together and what better way to show it off than on a cruise! :p

I'm doing that right now! It's my first cruise, I only had one outfit that was formal and I'm tired of it. With these, though, I will probably just keep them for the next cruise (unless I see something super cute).

Shoes - God, I already have a lot. I am not buying any new shoes.

I am trying to find a couple of nice bikinis still.

I like to buy SOME new clothes (and a new formal) mainly because I'm a scrapper and picture taker.. I don't want to scrap pictures of me looking exactly the same on different vacations. I know that's so stupid, but it's true!

I think having a new formal is what I think is most important..don't want to be seen with the same one twice;)

We purchase new formal wear for every cruise also. We have been on so many cruises and have our formal pictures thruout the house. Don't want photos with the same dress...

That being said this August we are not buying new formal wear....we will just not have our pictures taken. We will buy new clothes for our Dec. cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
No one on the vessel has seen your old clothes before.

You will never see these people again in your life.

So bring and wear your old clothes and throw them away after using them.

Makes for a very light suit case coming home.

Also an excellent chance to clean out your closets.

This just seems wasteful to me. At least GIVE them away to people who don't have anything. I'm sorry but throwing clothing away that is still wearable when there are people out there with nothing (and going on a cruise is a complete dream to them that they will probably never have come true) is just selfish in my opinion

Archived