Prinsendam in St Petersburg -question

sailaway5

We will be in St Petersburg for two days. Does the Prinsendam have a "Russian" type folklore show in the evening on the ship? Trying to decide whether to take in a Folklore evening tour during our overnight stay. Thanks.

We did 2 nights in Petersburg on the P'dam - no local talent on board the ship. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen local talent on board a HAL ship...

Oooooh, ba dum bump.........:D:D:D

No, they do sometimes, I kinda thought you implied you've never seen ANY talent on board a HAL ship :D

It's been a few years since I was in St. Peterburg. The local talent did board in the form of immigration. Many had obvious weapons. There were hundreds of them and extended families too. They came for lunch and HAL did not dissappoint them. And that was the onboard folkshow on our cruise. :)

Oooooh, ba dum bump.........:D:D:D

No, they do sometimes, I kinda thought you implied you've never seen ANY talent on board a HAL ship :D

And I thought you were using an alternative meaning of "local talent" :eek:

We didn't have any local performers come aboard when we were in St. Petersburg. But we have in a couple of other ports that were not over-nighters. We had them in Barcelona last year, and I didn't think they were all that great.

We will be in St Petersburg for two days. Does the Prinsendam have a "Russian" type folklore show in the evening on the ship? Trying to decide whether to take in a Folklore evening tour during our overnight stay. Thanks.
We thought the excursion show that hammybee gave the link to was well worth the price. The acrobatics of the young men were amazing, and the costuming was impressive.

Re local talent: we had an "okay" oom-pah-pah band come on the ship for a few hours in the afternoon in Warnemunde. I don't know about any other places because we rarely are on the ship in the afternoon in any port.

We thought the excursion show that hammybee gave the link to was well worth the price. The acrobatics of the young men were amazing, and the costuming was impressive.

Re local talent: we had an "okay" oom-pah-pah band come on the ship for a few hours in the afternoon in Warnemunde. I don't know about any other places because we rarely are on the ship in the afternoon in any port.

That's right! In Warnemunde the band was playing on the dock when we arrived, played by the pool that evening, then played on the dock again as we sailed away....

We did 2 nights in Petersburg on the P'dam - no local talent on board the ship. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen local talent on board a HAL ship...

Local talent does come aboard at times. Had a small bag pipe/folkloric group in Inverness, Scotland last year. We also had the oom-pah-pah's in Warnemunde. Plus the Mariachi bands in Puerto Vallarta during the deck bbq.

The Russian (and Ukrainian) ports usually have a military

band playing on the dock and they're pretty good with lots of Glenn Miller music

Thanks to all for your responses. Since the Prinsendam will not have any evening shows from the local St Petersburg people, we will probably sign up for some evening show with Den Rus or the Ship tour. Does anyone have any recommendations?

We thought the excursion show that hammybee gave the link to was well worth the price. The acrobatics of the young men were amazing, and the costuming was impressive.quote]

Was this the excursion you booked thru the Ship? We just booked the Ship's (Holland America) Folklore Spectacular and are hoping it is like the one hammybee gave the link to. Looks like a great show. Thank you.

Was this the excursion you booked thru the Ship? We just booked the Ship's (Holland America) Folklore Spectacular and are hoping it is like the one hammybee gave the link to. Looks like a great show. Thank you.
Yes, same one. If you'd like to see a few pictures email me. :)

Thanks to all for your responses. Since the Prinsendam will not have any evening shows from the local St Petersburg people, we will probably sign up for some evening show with Den Rus or the Ship tour. Does anyone have any recommendations?

St. Petersburg....you must go to the ballet!

exquisite! :D

We organised it through Alla tours!

St. Petersburg....you must go to the ballet!

exquisite! :D

We organised it through Alla tours!

We did the opera with Alla, but whether it's the opera or the ballet, an evening at the Mariinsky (formerly the Kirov) theater can be the highlight of any visit to St. Petersburg... (and do let Alla get your tickets - our seats were fantastic!)

We did the opera with Alla, but whether it's the opera or the ballet, an evening at the Mariinsky (formerly the Kirov) theater can be the highlight of any visit to St. Petersburg... (and do let Alla get your tickets - our seats were fantastic!)

I think either the opera or ballet is preferable to the folkloric show because of the history and authenticity. The folkoric show smacks a bit much of tourism with tributes to the USA.

It's been a few years since I was in St. Peterburg. The local talent did board in the form of immigration. Many had obvious weapons. There were hundreds of them and extended families too. They came for lunch and HAL did not dissappoint them. And that was the onboard folkshow on our cruise. :)

LOL :D ! Reminds me of the first Turkey stop during my Eastern Med cruise 20 years ago. We were told we had to wait for customs and immigration to clear the ship before we could disembark. Two or three Turkish officers came on board, sat at the bar, and were given free drinks and cigarettes. I never saw them do anything else, but somehow then we were suddenly free to go.:rolleyes:

Carol - did you get the pictures that I emailed Wed 6/6, or did they get dumped as spam?

Yes - thank you. The pictures are great. They helped me make the decision to book this show. Thank you again.

Archived