I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

I am in the same boat 0e65972dce68dad4d52d063967f0a705.gif. I am looking for about two or three good books to take on my cruise

Hi,

If you like urban fantasy Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series is a super fast read. The first one is DEAD WITCH WALKING.

If you like romance Connie Brockway, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Jennifer Greene, and Jennifer Cruise all write terrific contemparary romances with touches of humor.

If you like mystery:

paranormal--Charlaine Harris is the one to read. An HBO series based on her books called True Blood is currently being aired, but you can't beat the books. Dead Until Dark is the first.

amateur sleuth--Earlene Fowler is an amazing writer

humorous--besides my own--the Scumble River mysteries by Denise Swanson-;)-I love Diane Mott Davidson.

Happy reading,

On our cruise last week, I took a copy of Jerry Jenkins latest book, "Riven". A book that is not for the faint of heart. I knew where the book was going almost from the start, and could not put it down. However, when I finished the book, I was almost shaking! All I could do was let out a sigh of relief and put it away. A great book, but just too intense for cruise reading.

• 2 weeks later...

I always bring too many books thinking I'll read lots but then I get busy doing other things!

I would recommend anything by James Patterson (great - quick reads), Nicholas Sparks, John Grisham, Patricia Cornwell, Sue Grafton (The Alphabet books - great, quick reads). The Daniel Brown books are all good too.

I'm having trouble thinking of who else I like to read. I've got a long list of favorite authors.

Have fun, enjoy some sun and good books!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Another recommendation - I just finished the first in a series of 3 books by Lisa Lutz. #1 The Spellman Files #2 come out in paperback this month and her #3 in hardback in March.

I loved #1 so I am going to order #2 and #3 for our April cruise. Very funny - If you like the Stephanie Plum books you will love this series.

Love2vacation- I loved The Spellman Files and I enjoyed the second book, Curse of the Spellmans, even more. I am looking for books to take with me in April and your post reminded me how much I liked these books. I think I will take Revenge of the Spellmans with me. Thanks for the recommendation.

-Janine

I haven't read all the posts (so sue me.. it's 30 pages hehe!) ;but I have enjoyed all of the mysteries by an author whose name escapes me right now. They are easy to find..all alphabetical.

A is for Alibi

B is for Burglary etc etc.

They all feature the same lovable female PI and to me are just the right read for a cruise. Light; but not sappy.

On our cruise last week' date=' I took a copy of Jerry Jenkins latest book, "Riven". A book that is not for the faint of heart. I knew where the book was going almost from the start, and could not put it down. However, when I finished the book, I was almost shaking! All I could do was let out a sigh of relief and put it away. A great book, but just too intense for cruise reading. [/color']

What is it about?

What is it about?

A young man is sent to prison on death row. He is given his choice of execution, and after giving his life to The Lord, decides to make a statement by choosing crucifixion. I have read all of Jenkins books, but this one should come with a "WARNING" label as to it's graphic details.

• 1 month later...

I do not know what type of books you are interested in... but here are some that stick out in my mind.

The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns might be the two best books I have ever read. They changed my views on the Middle East and their culture a lot, and the books break your heart. But they are such good reads.

On the trip I read The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. Another great story, I guess you could call it a historical fiction. It has to do with the Columbine shootings and the way the people affected had their lives changed forever.

I also am a HUGE fan of Partricia Cornwell's series of books that follow Kay Scarpetta!

Just a few of my ideas! Hope it helps!

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering how many actually read the books we take with the intention of reading. lol I always plan ahead, get a book I've been wanting to read, and most times it begins on the plane, is put down, then picked up again for the flight home. The only one's I've read while on a cruise itself was a few of Alisa Allan's books that I always recommend, because her books have in them specific ports I was sailing to, so that was neat. Someone else awhile ago mentioned her title Winds Of Change and said how neat it was as she was reading about sailing into Bermuda and doing the same herself. That certainly puts one directly into a story!

Other than those books, she had 6 with all of them having a cruise of some kind in them, she might have more now, most are put by the wayside. But now, the ports repeat themselves for me and I don't feel guilty with just sitting on a beach and reading all day long! Something that never seems to happen at home!

I always read the books I bring. I need at least 4-5 per cruise depending on how long or how light a read. One series of books that I have read and found "addicting" is The Yada Yada Prayer Group" books by Neta Jackson. The characters are so diverse and real. Loved each one.

I also like many of Jodi Picoult's novels, and a series of books by Brad Whittington... "Welcome to Fred, Living with Fred , and Escape from Fred. "

I found this series by accident. I bought the second one first on sale at a local book store chain. I couldn't wait to read the rest of the series so I orderd them from Amazon. I don't usually keep books once I've read them, but this series I did.

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread and since I'm starting to stockpile books for my cruise, I found it fascinating. So far I have Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper and a new one by Philip Margolin. I figure I'll probably read one, or more, on each flight day (loooonnnnnng days) and maybe 2-3 more for the cruise.

I agree with many of the books listed. Here's a list of my recent favorites.

The Art of Racing in the Rain - as close to perfect as a book gets, especially if you are a dog lover.

Water for Elephants

The Handmaid's Tale - NOT light reading

I just finished Merle's Door which was very interesting and thought provoking, but should only be read if you don't mind sobbing in public, ditto for Marley and Me.

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle was great, but far to big and heavy to pack.

I think "Skinny Dip" by Carl Hiassen is one of the best cruise books. It's hilarious!

Agree, one of the best cruise books to read!

I haven't gone through all the posts, but this is a great way to get good recommendations. I am on another book thread site and have picked up a lot of good ideas.

Currently reading Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah and am really enjoying it.