Another cruise line begins testing casual dress code

amusea

Both the Crystal and Celebrity boards have active threads on this topic and many posters are projecting into the future, that passengers will present themselves in very casual attire, on formal evenings. It's an industry hot button.

I totally agree with you, but if HAL refuses to enforce the dress code now and allows polo shirts and capris on formal nights, it's a much shorter hop from capris to shorts on an informal night. No matter what the dress code is it is guaranteed that it will not be enforced.

Yet it seems to be possible for the luxury lines with resort or country club casual codes not to end up with jeans and shorts in their dining room. Enforcement is possible without a cruiseline going broke.

Just wondering if you've ever witnessed the "reaction" some of these "nice folks" throw when they are being told that they are not welcome in the dining room because they are not following the dress code. "You've got to be xxxing me! You're gonna tell me how to dress? Who the hexx are you? I paid good money for this cruise! You haven't heard the end of this! Who's in charge here? Where's the hotel manager? Where's Seattle?"

And that was a very mild one!:rolleyes:

The question is do ship lines have the right to refuse paying passengers into a dining area if they do not conform to a dress code. If so, then the question remains, will they enforce it. If not, then we are powerless to complain.

Just wondering if you've ever witnessed the "reaction" some of these "nice folks" throw when they are being told that they are not welcome in the dining room because they are not following the dress code. "You've got to be xxxing me! You're gonna tell me how to dress? Who the hexx are you? I paid good money for this cruise! You haven't heard the end of this! Who's in charge here? Where's the hotel manager? :rolleyes:Where's Seattle?"

And that was a very mild one!

I have witnessed this also and it never surprises me that the behavior reflects the attire.

I tend to agree with this. Jeans are already here and I have seen my share of T shirts in the dining room already.

I think they should add a Golden Arch, it would go well with the outfits being worn. :D

Frankly, while I am 100% in favor of a "resort casual" dress code on ships ... I think the fault for these types of attire in the dining room rests squarely with Holland America. Resort casual, in the truest sense does not mean jeans, flip flops and tee-shirts and personally I think the matri 'd shouldn't be allowing people dressed in such a manner past the entrance of the dining room.

I guess I am in the minority here when I say that resort casual dress does not have to be sloppy dress. It can be just as elegant as formal wear, yet easier to transport to the pier, and definitely more comfortable to wear on a ship. But when people start taking resort casual to mean "anything goes," then the dining room managers need to step up to the plate and provide a little "remedial education."

Blue skies ...

--rita

The question is do ship lines have the right to refuse paying passengers into a dining area if they do not conform to a dress code. If so, then the question remains, will they enforce it. If not, then we are powerless to complain.

If the dining code is published on the website, in the "Know Before You Go" brochures, and in on-board handouts like the daily program, then most definitely the cruise line has the right to refuse non-conforming guests access to those areas where the dress code is in effect.

Personally, I agree in that you will probably find very little enforcement ... simply because it's a heck of a lot easier for the dining room manager to "turn his head" to violations ... and that's probably why a lot of people on this board do not want to see a resort casual dress code adopted on HAL. Without enforcement, such a dress code would become a standing invitation to wear all manner of "beachwear" into the dining room and that would be personally distressing to a lot of traditional HAL cruisers.

But, if a resort casual dress code were adopted, and its minimum standards strictly enforced, I honestly don't think it would detract in the slightest from the elegant onboard ambience currently enjoyed on HAL ships on the current formal nights. It's only if the resort casual standards are allowed to deteriorate into an "anything goes" environment that all pretense of elegance will go straight out the window.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hey guys and girls, I could be wrong but last time I checked it was still a "suggested" dress code. Kinda hard to "enforce" those, especially when you have disgruntled pax getting in your face all the time!;)

A decision needs to come from Seattle to get rid of the "suggested" part. Either have a dress code and enforce it in the public lounges - forget the other parts of the ship - (with 100% backing from Seattle for the on-board staff in case of "confrontations") or don't have one. Get rid of this half-a$$ stuff! IMHO, that ain't gonna happen because HAL (and other cruise lines) don't want confrontations around the clock! Can you blame them?

I have witnessed this also and it never surprises me that the behavior reflects the attire.

On the other side of the coin , I have seen many well dressed people throw the same little tantrum.

"Do you know who I am ?"

"Do you know who my Husband/father/son, etc,etc,etc ...is?"

"I am a close friend of "..........""

"I'll have your job for this"

I have the some really great comebacks for a lot of these and on my last day before I retire, I plan on using them. :)

Either have a dress code and enforce it in the public lounges ... or don't have one. Get rid of this half-a$$ stuff!
You are right on, John. They use the word "suggested" so as to not appear hard-nosed. It's simply a more genteel way to make the standard known. But so many people zero in on that word as an excuse for dressing however they choose.

Frankly, while I am 100% in favor of a "resort casual" dress code on ships ... I think the fault for these types of attire in the dining room rests squarely with Holland America. Resort casual, in the truest sense does not mean jeans, flip flops and tee-shirts and personally I think the matri 'd shouldn't be allowing people dressed in such a manner past the entrance of the dining room.

I guess I am in the minority here when I say that resort casual dress does not have to be sloppy dress. --rita

Not at all. Other cruiselines keep their dining room 'resort casual'. Why can't HAL? The DR is just one place to eat on a ship. If a pax doesn't want to dress according to the DR code then there is the even more casual Lido with basically the same menu. Different strokes for different folks. No one is being denied dinner if they want to wear shorts or jeans. These bozos get away with the screaming and hollering and get their way because HAL let's them.

I guess I am in the minority here when I say that resort casual dress does not have to be sloppy dress. It can be just as elegant as formal wear, yet easier to transport to the pier, and definitely more comfortable to wear on a ship. But when people start taking resort casual to mean "anything goes," then the dining room managers need to step up to the plate and provide a little "remedial education."

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita, I agree with you 100% on this.

As I have stated DW and I wear what would be considered "Country Club Casual" every day for work and to most of our social gatherings. I have dockers and polo shirts that are every bit as comfortable as a pair of jeans and a t shirt and are always perfect for casual nights on our cruises. (granted on cruises I get to really indulge my addiction for Tommy Bahama shirts. :))

If anything they are even more comfortable than a pair of jeans in the Carribean.

Like you , I would be very happy to see all "resort casual" nights on cruises. But again, it should be up to the Maitre'D to keep it from going downhill (shorts, cutoffs, t shirts etc.)

Blue skies ...

Rita , I agree with you 100%

As I have stated , DW and I wear "Country Club Casual" everyday for work and most of our social gatherings. Our slacks and dockers, polo/golf shirts and casual tops are every bit as comfortable as jeans and t shirts and look 100 times more presentable and are always perfect for casual nights on cruises. (granted cruises are also when I get to really indulge my addiction for Tommy Bahama shirts :)

I also would be very happy if they went to all "resort casual" nights on cruises. However I do think cruiselines need to step up and enforce the rules better.

Archived