Another cruise line begins testing casual dress code

amusea

According to a recent report on the internet, Silversea will begin experimenting with totally casual dress code cruises very soon. Here is the segment of the quote:

Silversea Launches Privileged Passage

27-01-2007

Ultra-luxury cruise operator Silversea has announced the eagerly awaited launch of its Privileged Passage programme. The innovative concept is scheduled for a test voyage aboard Silver Cloud's July 13 cruise from Athens to Istanbul.

The ultra-flexible Privileged Passage lifestyle dispenses with formal nights and receptions. Guests do not have to worry about packing a dinner jacket or evening dress, as they have the freedom to dress in comfortable casual resort attire throughout the cruise.

Wow!!

Apparently the ultra-luxury cruiser has no interest in dressing up for a cruise either! :eek:

That truly surprises me!:cool:

It doesn't surprise me too much.

The few "Ultra Luxury cruiser" type people I know spend every day in the Brooks Brothers suit and power tie , or the Chanel or Armani business suit.

Depending on their field , they go to plenty of business lunches/dinners/ cocktail parties, entertaining out of town clients , Charity balls, premieres, openings, galas, etc. So when they are on vacation they want to relax and kick back.

That certainly does not mean they will be dressed in baseball caps, wife beaters, and torn Wrangler Jeans :). Their casual clothes cost as much as some peoples mortgage payments.

I'm not surprised at all. In a few years, mandatory formal nights will be a thing of the past on ALL cruise lines.

Whether we like it or not, things change. Think back ten, twenty and thirty years ago. Did you ever think you'd have a computer in your home ... one that you would become vitally dependent on? Did you ever think you'd carry a cell phone around in your pocket ... an iPod ... a laptop? Things change and society progresses, so we have to adjust.

We are a more casual people now, and when we go on vacation, we want to ditch the formalwear. Many of us have to dress up daily for work and for things related to work. When we go on vacation, we want to kick back and relax ...

If you like dressing formally, then you shouldn't give a hoot what the dress code is aboard ship. Dress up ... and step out in your best finery. Believe me, no cruise line is going to deny you entrance to the dining room because you are dressed too nicely.

Do whatever makes you comfortable and then take comfort in the fact that in your formalwear, you are among the sharpest dressed passengers on the ship ... and everybody is admiring how you look. But, by the same token, accept the fact that not everyone will have the same outlook as you ... and as long as they are dressed decently, that's okay too.

By the way, I don't think a casual dress code on any ship means cut-off jeans, tee-shirts and baseball caps. It just means a more relaxed style of dress.

Blue skies ...

--rita

According to a recent report on the internet, Silversea will begin experimenting with totally casual dress code cruises very soon. Here is the segment of the quote:

Silversea Launches Privileged Passage

27-01-2007

Ultra-luxury cruise operator Silversea has announced the eagerly awaited launch of its Privileged Passage programme. The innovative concept is scheduled for a test voyage aboard Silver Cloud's July 13 cruise from Athens to Istanbul.

The ultra-flexible Privileged Passage lifestyle dispenses with formal nights and receptions. Guests do not have to worry about packing a dinner jacket or evening dress, as they have the freedom to dress in comfortable casual resort attire throughout the cruise.

:) Love it, last year when we sailed out of Barcelona on Windsurf believe me we did not want to pack our formal clothes. In the reality of today, air travel etc. I think that we need to let go of the formal dress code. Resort wear worked great and looked great and on top of that it's didn't need any special shoes, bra's, ties, etc. check out my picture.

:)

Resort wear worked great and looked great and on top of that it's didn't need any special shoes' date=' bra's, ties, etc. check out my picture. [/size']

Great picture. When Silversea and other luxury lines like Oceania say 'casual resort wear' this is what they mean- more what HAL has called informal. I wish this could be the dress code on HAL, but I'm sure it could quickly degenerate to jeans, shorts, and t-shirts.

By the sounds of all of this, and the fact we have just a few more cruises to booked, our cruising days will be over. We have always looked forward to dressing up and STAYING dressed up for the evening.

Why? If you want to wear something - Go ahead! If you want to stay formal, then go ahead. If you don't like someone's dress - that look someplace else. Let EVERYONE be comfortable.

The world, the culture and people are always evolving, always changing. Rita put it beautifully. The ability to be flexible and change within your comfort range with the times is necessary in order to live in this world. Krazy Kruisers if you let this stop you from cruising, when you obviously love it so much, who do you hurt but yourselves? Is the fact that someone is clean, brushed & combed and dressed in lovely sportswear so very hideous that you have to remove yourselves from something you love? Again, bear in mind, no one is talking about cut-offs & baseball caps.:confused:

... bear in mind, no one is talking about cut-offs & baseball caps.:confused:
Not now, we're not. But once the "relaxing" starts it won't stop until that point arrives. It's just the way society as a whole works.

I was in the Corporate world for over 30 years and wore a suit to work everyday and hated it. 5 years ago I made a major life change and started my own business were I can choose to wear a golf shirt and slacks to work. The last thing I want to do on vacation is have to wear a tux or dark suit to eat diner. I have a tux to wear for weddings and a dark suit for funerals and do not like the idea of having to take them on vacation as well. Crusing is our favorite vacation type and I am happy to see that the premium cruise lines are looking at changing the dress codes so that we have choices other than the sub par qulaity cruise lines like NCL and Princess.

DH wears suit and tie daily for business and wears his tuxedo on formal night. There may no longer officially be Informal Nights on HAL but he will be bringing (at least) a blazer to wear to Pinnacle and/or if we are invited to a cocktail party etc

But I made a decision this morning.... :D

I will not be buying any more formal wear that I plan to wear on a ship. I'll choose from the closetful that I currently own to wear on our upcoming cruises.

Seems clear to me formal night will disappear in the near future.

Sorry, Kryos......you still lose the 'contest' with Rev Neal. ;) :)

I think your prediction was formal nights would be gone by July, this year?? Am I correct?

But, in the end, yes.... I think you are correct that it is only a matter of time until formal night disappears from HAL.

. Crusing is our favorite vacation type and I am happy to see that the premium cruise lines are looking at changing the dress codes so that we have choices other than the sub par qulaity cruise lines like NCL and Princess.

I think this is the message that most cruise lines are getting loud and clear from their pax.

On our most recent cruise, the number of pax who chose to either not dress up or if they did, stay dressed up on the second formal night were the majority. The last formal evening used to be the most formal and this seems to be changing especially on 7-10 day cruises.

I won't miss the formal nights anymore, but wish HAL would specify "resort" or "country club" casual and set some guidelines. I'd like to at least see a dining room that would be more like a fine dining restaurant rather than a Waffle House/Denny's which is where I'm afraid HAL is heading. If that is what happens we will change cruiselines.

Hardly any of the nation's top restaurants require a jacket and tie of their patrons anymore and so many seem as challenged as cruise lines as to where or if they should draw the line. A pair of $200 Seven jeans versus a $29.95 dress is a tough call for those who serve the general public.

Regardless, I like dressing up and will continue to do so. My happiness is not dependent upon how other people dress.

I won't miss the formal nights anymore, but wish HAL would specify "resort" or "country club" casual and set some guidelines. I'd like to at least see a dining room that would be more like a fine dining restaurant rather than a Waffle House/Denny's which is where I'm afraid HAL is heading. If that is what happens we will change cruiselines.

Windstar provided very clear dress code guidelines for our cruise last year. They used the words "Resort Wear" and "Country Club Casual" in their communications with us prior to our trip. It was soooo much easier to pack for and again so much more fun to wear. Everyone has their own way of dressing and no matter if it's formal or casual there will always be people that IMO "just don't get it", but who cares what I think. As long as my DH and I are having fun and enjoing the moment that's what it's all about. We are thinking about taking the Mexican Rivera cruise aboard the Oosterdam again next year and I would love to pull out of my closet some of the fun things that I wore last year on the cruise off the coast of Spain on the Windsurf. Maybe by then that might be acceptable, who knows?

Oh, thank you Peaches from Georgia that picture was taken at our Marriage renewal aboard the Windsurf. I wore that skirt with other tops for dinner several time during the cruise. Our friends that stood up for us are from your neck of the woods they live in Savannah, Georgia, the other coast!:D

Once cruise lines like Silverseas head down this road with no formals, it will not be too long before others follow the lead. For those who delight in getting dressed "to the 9s" go ahead and enjoy, but you will no longer be able to expect the majority of the passengers to do the same. As someone has said, even top restaurants in this country have "read the tea leaves". So country casual will be the look, and I am delighted to see the cruise lines finally catching up to the real world. I will still continue to take a suit and a blazer for those occasions when I feel like wearing them rather than when the fashion police dictate.:)

So country casual will be the look, and I am delighted to see the cruise lines finally catching up to the real world. I will still continue to take a suit and a blazer for those occasions when I feel like wearing them rather than when the fashion police dictate.:)

I so hope you mean "country club casual"...... I'm not sure what "country casual" would be and I'm not sure I really want to know. :D

I have stopped caring what anyone else wears. I will never stop caring how DH and I look.

You have me laughing as I think leoandhugh missed the "club" after country. :D Country casual would really change the dress code on a ship!!!

I seem to wear skirts more often so, I enjoy wearing a dress on formal nights. My husband is not so excited about getting dressed up, but he does if he knows it is the thing to do.

I believe Crystal recently eliminated the requrirement that its pax stay in formal throughout the evening.

It is my understanding that Crystal did not eliminate the requirement.

What they meant to do is elaborate on the policy, I am told -- because I asked -- to say that IF one changed to more casual attire, that attire should at least, fit in to the country club casual category. It is my understanding that they want to eliminate passengers' changing into really casual things like robes, swim suits, cut-offs, flip-flops, and baseball caps.

Just my understanding....

Pincus

It is my understanding that Crystal did not eliminate the requirement.

What they meant to do is elaborate on the policy, I am told -- because I asked -- to say that IF one changed to more casual attire, that attire should at least, fit in to the country club casual category. It is my understanding that they want to eliminate passengers' changing into really casual things like robes, swim suits, cut-offs, flip-flops, and baseball caps.

Just my understanding....

Pincus

I think the purpose is two-fold- acknowledge that some Crystal pax want to change into more casual attire after dinner and to make clear that daytime causal is not the same as evening casual.

Some of the most elegantly dressed people I have ever seen were in Italy and France at good restaurants and they were in casual attire that was so beautiful (and expensive). Maybe all Americans will learn over time to dress beautifully and casually at the same time. It does not necessarily boil down to how much one pays for clothes.

I have been on Oceania twice and have never seen anyone in the dining room wearing inappropriate casual attire so I think there is hope. But the trick of dressing nicely and casually has to trickle down to the large ships that cater to short cruises with thousands of people. That will take a good deal of time IMHO. The question is what to do in the meantime.:rolleyes:

Some of the most elegantly dressed people I have ever seen were in Italy and France at good restaurants and they were in casual attire that was so beautiful (and expensive). Maybe all Americans will learn over time to dress beautifully and casually at the same time. It does not necessarily boil down to how much one pays for clothes.....:rolleyes:

Sorry, but that's what "country club casual" seems to imply. Many of the clothes seen at country clubs, IMHO, are unattractive but obviously expensive.

Three-figure prices for skimpy slinky tops, slit to the hinterlands skirts, and peep-toe stiletto-heeled shoes are sure going to limit my cruising.

Isn't there a better term to describe simple, attractive (but not necessarily expensive) attire suitable for a really nice restaurant, party, or special occasion, such as a sea day dinner on a cruise?

Archived