Another cruise line begins testing casual dress code

amusea

By the sounds of all of this, and the fact we have just a few more cruises to booked, our cruising days will be over. We have always looked forward to dressing up and STAYING dressed up for the evening.

I don't understand what you are so upset about. A casual dress code does not mean you don't dress up. Resort casual does not equate to jeans and tee-shirts. Some of the outfits that would be considered resort casual are absolutely beautiful. So, who says you can't dress up? You're just dressing in a different ... more relaxed style.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Isn't there a better term to describe simple, attractive (but not necessarily expensive) attire suitable for a really nice restaurant, party, or special occasion, such as a sea day dinner on a cruise?

Informal?

Sorry, but that's what "country club casual" seems to imply. Many of the clothes seen at country clubs, IMHO, are unattractive but obviously expensive.

Three-figure prices for skimpy slinky tops, slit to the hinterlands skirts, and peep-toe stiletto-heeled shoes are sure going to limit my cruising.

Isn't there a better term to describe simple, attractive (but not necessarily expensive) attire suitable for a really nice restaurant, party, or special occasion, such as a sea day dinner on a cruise?

The "country club attire" you are describing such as skimpy slinky tops were nowhere to be found on my casual cruises. In general clothes were understated and tasteful. However, I have observed pretty ghastly clothes on other ships during formal nights.;) I don't think you should take the term country club casual literally. It is an attempt to say "dressy casual" and maybe that would be a better term.

Some of the most elegantly dressed people I have ever seen were in Italy and France at good restaurants and they were in casual attire that was so beautiful (and expensive). Maybe all Americans will learn over time to dress beautifully and casually at the same time. It does not necessarily boil down to how much one pays for clothes.

The French and Italians are among the best designers and tailors in the world. Think Valentino, Armani, Dior etc... The most assuredly design the most elegant gentlemen's suits and formal wear in addition to the best 'play clothes'. Italian men and women wear their clothes with such style and I know in our travels through Italy, we saw plenty of business suits for day wear and elegant attire for evenings. Many, many suits for sure in the cities. Milan is one of the fashion capitals of the world. Oh Yes, they do 'dress'. :)

The French and Italians are among the best designers and tailors in the world. Think Valentino, Armani, Dior etc... The most assuredly design the most elegant gentlemen's suits and formal wear in addition to the best 'play clothes'. Italian men and women wear their clothes with such style and I know in our travels through Italy, we saw plenty of business suits for day wear and elegant attire for evenings. Many, many suits for sure in the cities. Milan is one of the fashion capitals of the world. Oh Yes, they do 'dress'. :)

Ever fly on an Italian airline? Your example carries right over into the crew's, read flight attendants', uniforms and they way they look! Mamma Mia!;)

Ever fly on an Italian airline? Your example carries right over into the crew's, read flight attendants', uniforms and they way they look! Mamma Mia!;)

Down boy. Down. Down. :rolleyes:

If HAL and other lines drop formal night, I do believe that most passengers will adhere to some type of "resort or informal" type of dress. I don't think people will show up in tee shirts and cut offs. The same people who do not adhere to current dress codes and wear shorts in the evening will do so no matter what the dress code is. I think the majority of cruise passengers will dress appropriately no matter what the code is.

Barbara

When formal nights disappear, we all know what is coming...jeans, t-shirts and flip flops at dinner.

"Why, I have rhinestones on my jeans--dressy casual, no?"

"My flip flops have little lacy straps---dressy casual, no?"

"My t-shirts has a "gold" design---dressy casual, no?"

I'm so sorry to hear this... I love the formal nights...such a nice atmosphere those nights on board. Ah, well....

Since joining Cruisecritic earlier in the year and specifically the Holland America boards it never ceases to amaze me how often this thread gets rehashed and everyone says the same things, over and over and over and over. Why the decision to have no formal nights makes people think the standard of dress will degenerate into jeans, t-shirts and flip flops I have no idea. I couldn’t imagine anything worse than walking into a ship's dining room in flip flops and I’d imagine that would be the same for most cruisers on most ships. Yes, there’ll always be a few. People do tend to exaggerate a little though.

As many have expressed, anyone can dress up whenever they want - there is nothing on the HAL site that says do not dress up. I have been to many weddings where the invitation has been smart casual yet many will wear suits, very often it's the younger ones dressing up and it’s the middle aged or older people who are wearing ghastly patterned shirts and chinos or weird and inappropriate dresses.

Relax, give your blood pressure a break. You are going on a cruise to enjoy yourself and if what someone wears has the potential to ruin your holiday then maybe cruising is no longer for you. Yep, it’s the 21st century and some of us are excited, looking forward to what the new century will bring, not pining over what was. Enjoy yourself and don't be concerned with what someone is wearing. If they are profane, or bigoted, or racist, or xenophobic then yes, voice your displeasure and walk away. Give up something you enjoy because the person next to you isn’t wearing a tux or a ball gown and tiara - that’s just plain silly.

Oh and yes, we’ll have our tuxes on for every one of the seven or eight formal nights there’ll be on our coming cruise, but it will be a huge relief not to have to wear a jacket on the other 17 or 18 nights. For those non-formal nights we’ll be wearing smart trousers, pressed cotton shirts and smart shoes – not a flip flop in sight (we promise):D .

The sky will not fall if formal nights disappear. It won’t be the end of the earth. Holland America won’t cease to exist (as Crystal won’t because of their decision). There's no indication that retailers will stop selling tuxes and fancy gowns. Too many people still have reasons to dress up. Not because they have to though, because they want to. Maybe that's the difference?

Unfortunately, I have witnessed flip-flops (on a man) on a formal night.

This was on the E-o-S's in the Caribbean and one reason why we will not cruise on an American based line in the Caribbean again. Gross!

DW and I have always dressed the appropriate way on the appropriate night on all our cruises because that is what is expected of us. But in all honesty we will not be sorry to see formal nights go.

Both of our jobs require us to wear what would be considered "Country Club Casual' on a cruise ship as well as the majority of our social gatherings(with the occasional formal and dress down events thrown in for good measure:)). So those are the clothes we are most comfortable in.

I say more power to the folks who still wish to "dress to the 9's" that is certainly your right. I also believe if in the future cruise lines want to make all nights "Country Club Casual" , they should be more diligent in enforceing it to keep out the shorts, t-shirts, flip flops etc.

Please don't denigrate flip-flops in the dining room.:o By the third day the only shoes I can squeeze my poor swollen feet into are flip flops. (the salty food plus the heat does it every time) Yes they have rhinestones, beads and one pair even has "high" (for me ) heels.

Since joining Cruisecritic earlier in the year and specifically the Holland America boards it never ceases to amaze me how often this thread gets rehashed and everyone says the same things, over and over and over and over. Why the decision to have no formal nights makes people think the standard of dress will degenerate into jeans, t-shirts and flip flops I have no idea. I couldn’t imagine anything worse than walking into a ship's dining room in flip flops and I’d imagine that would be the same for most cruisers on most ships. Yes, there’ll always be a few. People do tend to exaggerate a little though.

Oh newfarmer guy, you are right. There is a similar thread on the Crystal board and so many posters are prone to jump to the same conclusions. One of our favorite posters on this board, posted on another board, that the last cruise line to eliminate their fur vault did so back in the 60's and yeah, pax used to wear furs on crossings. They probably thought it was the end of the world, at the time too.

Oh newfarmer guy, you are right. There is a similar thread on the Crystal board and so many posters are prone to jump to the same conclusions. One of our favorite posters on this board, posted on another board, that the last cruise line to eliminate their fur vault did so back in the 60's and yeah, pax used to wear furs on crossings. They probably thought it was the end of the world, at the time too.

There was a tiny brou hah recently on one of the "Luxury" boards about only wearing wing tipped collars for white tie affairs, and then only with tails.

May God let me live so long that one day the only thing I will have to worry about in life is making sure I have the correct collar for the correct affair. :)

When formal nights disappear, we all know what is coming...jeans, t-shirts and flip flops at dinner.

"Why, I have rhinestones on my jeans--dressy casual, no?"

"My flip flops have little lacy straps---dressy casual, no?"

"My t-shirts has a "gold" design---dressy casual, no?"

I'm so sorry to hear this... I love the formal nights...such a nice atmosphere those nights on board. Ah, well....

I tend to agree with this. Jeans are already here and I have seen my share of T shirts in the dining room already.

I think they should add a Golden Arch, it would go well with the outfits being worn. :D

Again, bear in mind, no one is talking about cut-offs & baseball caps.:confused:

Actually, Golfette, they are.

RCI relaxed its dress code and now I see swim baggies, tanks and ball caps at dinner. I have seen similar on Celebrity with sweats, shorts, caps on formal nights in the dining room.

So, while the initial change might be represented as a move simply eliminating formal nights, people will indeed push the envelope all the way to slovenly and get away with it...all in the name of profits.

I am one who has generally stopped cruising for pleasure (with a rare exception) as the trend towards casual brings with it a wholly different demographic and onboard experience that I frankly have no interest in.

As things deteriorate even further and cruising becomes less and less "special", at least from my perspective, I will continue to spend my time and money elsewhere. If I want to dine at a food court or family restaurant surrounded by folks in jeans and shorts, I would do so at home. I avoid this atmosphere, period, and have no desire to be on a ship surrounded by it.

And, I have never understood why being comfortable means being casual, as many on this forum seem to believe.:confused:

On our last HAL cruise last year, one of our tablemates came into dinner wearing a baseball cap which he did not take off through dinner.

The next night he did the same thing, i mentioned his hat, asking if he was uncomfortable with it on and he said no, so the next night we moved to another table , i can't stand to see anyone eating in a resturant with a hat on.

JIM

It seems to me from reading this thread that those who routinely dress for work and social functions want to go casual on vacation, and conversely those who don't want to show off their finery on a cruise as they don't get too many chances at home?

With the advent of more and more 'freestyle' ships with more choices of dining venues, perhaps all could be accommodated by designating some as formal or casual?

We spent many years *required* to wear full formal wear at functions as my DH was an officer in the Navy. Personally we go on vacation to relax and enjoy ourselves. We wouldn't dream of wearing t-shirts, shorts, etc. etc. into the dining room, and we have never seen anyone doing this even on casual nights. I don't know, maybe I just didn't see them :confused: Also our cruises of choice are the European cruises. Our last cruise we spent a week in Paris and Rome before boarding the ship in Venice. It would have been a real downer to drag our formal-wear all over Europe, not to mention the shape our clothes would be in by the time we got on the cruise. It just isn't practical. Of course we know we can rent formal wear through the ship if we so choose, and we would do that too. But personally I wouldn't mind a whole lot if formal nights were taken away, as long as there were *written* rules about what is appropriate :)

It seems to me from reading this thread that those who routinely dress for work and social functions want to go casual on vacation, and conversely those who don't want to show off their finery on a cruise as they don't get too many chances at home?

Exception to that 'rule' here. :)

DH wears a suit and tie to work everyday and dresses on our cruises. Never has come to a ship's dining room on formal night in anything other than tuxedo/dinner jacket.

We spent many years *required* to wear full formal wear at functions as my DH was an officer in the Navy. Personally we go on vacation to relax and enjoy ourselves. We wouldn't dream of wearing t-shirts, shorts, etc. etc. into the dining room, and we have never seen anyone doing this even on casual nights. I don't know, maybe I just didn't see them :confused: :)

Having experienced a "formal" night dinner with half of our tablemates (all 50+ adults, not first-time cruisers) wearing very casual attire - polo shirt for the man, printed t-shirts and cotton capris for women - I do feel that it diminished the cruise experience for that evening.

I'm not one for expensive ball gowns, either - most of my cruisewear -including for formal evenings - comes from Target, Kmart or the thrift shop. If HAL ships all go to "informal" nights, I'd hope that there might be some enforcement at the door, so that the polo shirts don't become "wife beater" tees and the capris don't become too-short-shorts or frayed jeans.

... If HAL ships all go to "informal" nights, I'd hope that there might be some enforcement at the door, so that the polo shirts don't become "wife beater" tees and the capris don't become too-short-shorts or frayed jeans.

I totally agree with you, but if HAL refuses to enforce the dress code now and allows polo shirts and capris on formal nights, it's a much shorter hop from capris to shorts on an informal night. No matter what the dress code is it is guaranteed that it will not be enforced.

Yet it seems to be possible for the luxury lines with resort or country club casual codes not to end up with jeans and shorts in their dining room. Enforcement is possible without a cruiseline going broke.

Archived