Song of Norway

Oh what memories this post has given! Thanks everyone for sharing. Yes, still have my Passenger List in the photo album -- when I was on people brought them into the dining room at dinner time to have their tablemates, crew, etc. sign them - just like yearbooks:D .

Alas, my first few cruises I never took a lot of 'ship' photos -- ports yes. Now my albums probably have more 'ship' phots than port photos.

Here are a few from my very first cruise - 1991. Cabin was an outside on the bottom deck. Back then it was called a 'superior' for that deck as it was supposed to be a bit bigger than the rest.

Ports of Call were: Barbados, Antigua, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas.

SoN_Bardados1.jpg.c1323ab41a84b15ef7e20a092235fb64.jpg

SoN_Cabin.jpg.6567086eb3f0b94a9eabf463067226cc.jpg

SoN_HorseRace.jpg.42f3322a859fcccf26244995f8c8bfc1.jpg

SoN_IceByPool.jpg.124d4025524c6e1e7cd1ef1daf206d57.jpg

Our first cruise was on Song of Norway in 1982 , It was our 20th Wedding Anniversary. We were hooked from day one. What a good time we had. Can’t remember the deck we were on but we had an inside cabin. We are now Diamond –Plus members of C/A.

Years before that cruise, I was visiting my uncle and aunt in Coral Gables Florida. I guess in those days (pre pre 911 ). A Florida resident could take visitors to the Port of Miami and visit the ships before they sailed. I remember my DAD and I were on some cruise ship I never paid attention to the name. We had a picture taken on the pool deck.

When My husband and I boarded the Song of Norway we were walking around and DEJA VOUS (sp) It hit me this was the same ship my Dad and I had visited with my uncle. (before they stretched it). I found the picture when I got home. Small world.

I will always remember the Song of Norway. Thanks for the memory !

Yes, you're right. She was a ferry first:

Built as a car ferry, her chunky ferry looks were further spoilt when the funnel was shortened and an RCCL 'sky lounge' were fitted. Recent postcards describe her as weighing 40132 gross tons, having a length of 635 feet, and carrying 1946 passengers (maximum 2560). In 2002 she will be renamed Island Escape and operate 7-Day Mediterranean cruises as part of a Royal Caribbean/First Choice Holidays joint venture.

My first cruise was on the Song of Norway in '79, the week before Christmas. I have lots of great memories... there were over 50 kids on board (remember, this was before cruising was a family affair), so they hired 2 children's cruise directors, one for kids up to age 12, another for the teenagers. If you can believe this, they actually took us on our own tours of the islands!!! Could you imagine them doing that now? I think not...

Here's a picture of the kids' group going off the ship at St. Thomas... (I'm the one on the right with the yellow shorts and white shirt...)

605349621_0560112-79CruiseToddNancygoingashoreStThomasV.I(Small).jpg.e9fc1e4b3dad532baf9b51d3201d030f.jpg

Dec. '79 cruise cont.

Remember the head waiters setting the Cherries Jubilee on fire right at your table? Those were the days... this is Serge, who used to come give me a kiss on the cheek every night.

We were in a tiny inside cabin, too, # 591 on A Deck... 2 adults, 2 kids. Jesus was our cabin attendant. Of course, not having had any Spanish at that time, I thought his name really WAS Jesus, not pronounced "Hay-soos".

22844373_06712-79CruisemaitredCherriesJubileeSongofNorway(Small).jpg.d992520aa105fd420ff4954ec8a7b1db.jpg

555677472_08112-79CruiseNancyToddroom591SongofNorway(Small).jpg.678320c74fdf775465c67d8a1ef7acf7.jpg

Dec. '79 cruise cont...

One of my favorite things to do was listen to the steel drum band on board and eat ice cream at tea time...

We even had a masquerade parade/party in one of the lounges... I'm the red devil, my brother was the "Nordic Prince" (he didn't bring a costume with him, but made one from the materials the ship provided).

197346045_09512-79CruiseNancyicecreamsteelbandSongofNorway(Small).jpg.b4124686a95fe4812f97b989d0a3e9eb.jpg

1288766123_08412-79CruiseToddNancymasqueradeSongofNorway(Small).jpg.147d5ba6075911a21df4498ea3099d14.jpg

Our first cruise was on SON and capt Strangleland was our captain. We were only 29 at the time but it was our 10th wedding aniversary cruise. I will never forget it and all the fun we had. About 10 years later we cruised on Enchantment of the seas and Capt Strangleland was her captain. My husband swore I had a crush on him and thats why I picked that ship again!

I have a Map that was gift at the end of the cruise with the date and island we visited. It is framed still in my sons room.

Now we are taking our whole family on Freedom of the Seas in Feb. and I can not wait to share the joy of being at sea with my children!

Thanks!

It was a perfect first cruise! It was fun looking at all of my dad's pictures again! Luckily for me he has scanned all of his prints and slides and has them catalogued on the computer, so they're very easy to access! I was just looking at my mom's scrapbook and saw the listed prices... $700/passenger for the first and second in the cabin, $350 for the 3rd and 4th. It's amazing how inexpensive cruising really is now when you compare it to '79 prices...

Our first cruise was on the Song of Norway in August 1976. I had to get out my pictures tonight after reading this post. I have the list of passengers they gave us and other things like napkins and coasters. Can't ever duplicate the memories of that first cruise. We even got to dine with the captain one night. Thanks for bringing back all those wonderful memories.

Okay..starting at the top:

Compass Deck

Sun Deck

Promenade Deck

Restaurant Deck

Main Deck

"A" Deck

"B" Deck

We were in an inside category M stateroom 593. Two uppers and 2 lowers.

Thanks Kerri.

Thanks!

It was a perfect first cruise! It was fun looking at all of my dad's pictures again! Luckily for me he has scanned all of his prints and slides and has them catalogued on the computer, so they're very easy to access! I was just looking at my mom's scrapbook and saw the listed prices... $700/passenger for the first and second in the cabin, $350 for the 3rd and 4th. It's amazing how inexpensive cruising really is now when you compare it to '79 prices...

I agree! We paid 1,250 per person for an inside cabin on Holland America's Noordam in the early 1980's, for a 7 day cruise. That was without airfare.

We're getting some nice bargains lately considering the price of fuel is up so high.

Wow the Song of Norway was also my first cruise with my ex after he returned from the first Gulf War (1991). After that I was hooked on cruising. We met some great people that cruise, saw 5 ports which have become my favorite islands (St Maarten, St Thomas, Antigua, Barbardos & Martinque). Such a wonderful ship, small but unique. I may have a few photos of the ship, will have to look through my photos tonight.