Song of Norway

I'm looking for some Song of Norway photos to share with my dad. This was his first cruise as a teenager in '77. He has a huge box of photos and memorabilia -- in fact, I'm looking at it right now -- but most of the pictures he has are from the ports. I've been looking on the Internet and have found some photos of the outside of the ship, but I'd love to see the interior and hear from others who were on this ship. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• Like 1

We cruised on the Song of Norway out of Los Angeles about 16 years ago. I remember she had the green plastic indoor/outdoor carpeting on the pool deck, and the furniture on the deck was lime green and yellow.

The glass wall and doors that went into the lounge was decorated with Gibson Girl Ladies in pinks and beige colors.

I have a model of that ship with her name on the base, that I bought when I was onboard. I'm putting it on ebay next week so please watch for it. :)

Here's a couple from the Song of Norway

1. Inside cabin - We had FOUR in this cabin. Doesn't look like we had enough room to even turn around much less all 4 of us getting dressed for formal night.

2. The deck below the pool had port holes that looked into the pool. That's my son in the pool (he's 32 now) - my husband went below and snapped his picture

1962226853_cabin(2).jpg.20362f9882e7b5bff6bc02c0695f7f47.jpg

1269260904_porthole(2).jpg.26fb8d1c9d3bbea296312c241c6fdd51.jpg

I have a RCCL brochure for the Carbbean and Bermuda from 1986 with all the ships they retired except for the Viking Serenade. Back then the Song of America was their newest ship so most of the interior pics showcase that, but if you want I could try and scan the deck plans. Let's see if they post. No, they're too high of a resolution, and at the resolution alloted for uploads you wouldn't be able to see anything. PM me if you really want me to email them to you. Sorry for writing in the stream of consciousness.

Here's a couple from the Song of Norway

1. Inside cabin - We had FOUR in this cabin. Doesn't look like we had enough room to even turn around much less all 4 of us getting dressed for formal night.

2. The deck below the pool had port holes that looked into the pool. That's my son in the pool (he's 32 now) - my husband went below and snapped his picture

Wow, I remember that porthole that looked into the pool.

We sailed her in 1990 and fell in love with cruising. The dining room was wonderful the waitstaff (George and Robert) were so great I still remember their names. The Song of Norway was a wonderful ship. It was our first cruise we sailed out of PR and visited 5 ports. Went home and decided to become TA's. I'll look for our pictures and try to post some.

Our First Cruise and despite the fact we were rolling so badly, it will always be my favorite. The nicest crew I have ever encountered, and so intimate. I don't know what I did with my photo albums from that time period, but while I am off for the summer I will look!

Song of Norway was my sister and my first cruise with our husbands in 1/88, and we haven't looked back since. We are life long cruisers! I will have to pull out my scrap book and see if I have pictures of the ship. I'm sure I do.

What a great cruise and ship. We were on the first sailing from San Juan and Sovereign made her maiden voyage the day before (Saturday) we left on our first cruise, (Sunday). We had more fun that week. I do remember that I needed a vacation to recover from the cruise vacation when I came home! I have since learned to pace myself.

The really crazy part is........ we thought that ship was so big until we went on Song of America and then Sovereign of the Seas. It looks like a life boat compared to the ships now.

I still have fond memories of that cruise............

I am jkfreeman's sister........yeah, Song of Norway was our first cruise...............and yes, we have not looked back..................gosh, between the two of us, I bet, we could have purchased a ship!!!!???!!!! Remember how that ship ROCKED!!!! Took high heels off in the hall way.......remmber how we "danced" on the dance floor........oh, so funny! Remember how the dishes were crashing in the dining room above our cabin!! Someone had FOUR people in an inside cabin?????? HOW???????? We had an inside cabin for two and MAN, was it crowded!!!!! And to think, I thought that ship was SO big!!! Our next two were Song of America and then the one year old Sovereign. I will always cherish my memories of that ship! Ann

That was our first cruise in October 1990. We were in the inside cabin next to the passageway portholes. Our cabin bulkhead was also the side of the pool and we'd hear the water sloshing every morning as the pool was filled. I came out one morning and caught several older ladies staring through the portholes into the pool watching the gents and when I caught them they went scampering down the passageway.

The Song of Norway was our first cruise experience in the late 80's. We had one of those small narrow rooms on the inside. I would leave the door open during the day. I remember the porthole in the pool. The dance floor was in the back over the prop. When you were dancing the floor would vibrate. We did the western cruise on her. She was also only half full. They closed off some of the hallways to rooms and they only had one seating for dinner because of that. We could take as long as we wanted for dinner. We have wonderful memories. Thank you for reminding us.

The Song of Norway was our first cruise experience in the late 80's. We had one of those small narrow rooms on the inside. I would leave the door open during the day. I remember the porthole in the pool. The dance floor was in the back over the prop. When you were dancing the floor would vibrate. We did the western cruise on her. She was also only half full. They closed off some of the hallways to rooms and they only had one seating for dinner because of that. We could take as long as we wanted for dinner. We have wonderful memories. Thank you for reminding us.

Good to see you posting on here more often.

The Song of Norway was one ship I am sorry I never cruised on. We saw her at times while we were cruising and she was a giant among them. ;)

Like so many others, this was our first cruise. I remember we saved forever and watched love boat every night. Boy were we ever shocked at our interior room size. We fell in love with this ship and with cruising. I too think it is still my favorite as it was the only one with just my husband and I. I think it held 800 guest. We left from San Juan and had 6 ports. I think I still have pictures and I will post them in a few days. I remember our waiter Toby he was so helpful as we were in our 20's and broke and he helped us every night plan for the next days ports. We played bingo everyday at 3:00 with another couple we met on the ship. My husband was playing basketball on ship and the ball went overboard while docked and he went down and retreived it from the water and climbed up the rope. Crazy man didn't know they would just get another ball. He is a spoiled cruiser now.

What a great cruise and ship. We were on the first sailing from San Juan and Sovereign made her maiden voyage the day before (Saturday) we left on our first cruise, (Sunday).

I was on the repositioning trip from Miami that would have ended in San Jaun the day which you boarded. She was a beautiful ship, well maintained, and had highly polished wood weather decks. At that time the diningroom staff was European and the room stewards from the Caribbean. And, yes, her staterooms were very small, but as the old bromide goes, you don't spend any time in your room anyway!

We had the room under the pool, porthole in our hallway. I miss the intimacy of the smaller ships. Remember the ship in "rough" seas. How about climbing up the open stairs at the back of the ship to get to bar. Or maybe I should say climbing down them after being in the bar a few hours.

Thanks for the memories.

barb

Thank you so much to everyone for writing! I was shocked to see so many responses, but it sounds like this ship was well-deserving of the praise! My dad will be very happy to see the photos and read the stories. He still stays in close contact with one of his friends from the ship. Thanks again!

Tricia

Wow, it's great to see these old photos/posts about the Song of Norway! Song of Norway was my 2nd cruise in 1985; I was 7 years old. I remember the porthole in the swimming pool, as well - it was really neat to see that photo!

I'm hoping to assemble/scan/post a bunch of my old pictures from old cruise ships, but that won't be until August when I'm back at my parents' house in FL. I will post them when/if I get them online, but for now I'm enjoying all of these. Thanks to all for posting, and thanks to the OP for starting this thread! :)