What prices are so low that one won't see a price drop?

I see lots of threads talking about various price drops where people have saved thousands of dollars by catching the sales that RCCL has posted from time to time. I've wondered at what price someone would have such a good deal that it's somewhere between unlikely and impossible that there'd ever be a sale price that'd beat what they have already.

I've been lucky enough to book our upcoming cruise on the Liberty of the Seas about a year in advance, and we're now taking advantage of today's sale to book our August 2008 cruise on the Adventure of the Seas. I've been watching the price for the Promenade cabin since we booked a year ago, and I've watched it creep up from our price of $789 up to its current price of $1239.

I'm thinking that if one can book far enough in advance, the price may be low enough so as to make it more difficult to find a cheaper sale price as the cruise date approaches.

My personal feelings about a "good" price are that if I can get us on for less than $100pp/pn.... I feel like that's a deal!

Still it pays to keep an eye on it... because you never know just how low it will go...

On our last cruise, I received a price reduction credit of $300 just 4 days before we sailed.... once onboard, I met a gentleman who booked his balcony cabin 4 days before sailing and got the cabin for about $200 more than what I paid for our interior room.... of course, he booked totally last minute... wish I had that freedom.

I assume that the $100/person/night is the starting point for getting on a cruise, so I guess that'd be an inside cabin. That seems like a reasonable figure from what I've seen in my various pricing checks.

Thanks!

We booked AOS for the week after you, and paid $699 for PR and $899 for E2. I consider that a very good price.

Our Mariner cruise for August 2007 was only $2300 for 4 of us in a D1, $747 for first two people and $399 for 3rd and 4th. That price has skyrocketed since I booked it. (I never saw a D1 that inexpensive during the summer)

I was looking at EOS 9 day Canada/NE out of NJ for 7/08 and the prices are very reasonable, but the kids didn't want to go to north as we are beachgoers rather than sightseers

We paid 1670.20 per person [including port charges and tax] for a category E2 on Serenade of the Seas 15 night Hawaii 10/5/07. This cruise sold out quickly but before it did, the E2's were twice what we paid. There is no way the prices would have ever gone down, nor will they.

I was looking at EOS 9 day Canada/NE out of NJ for 7/08 and the prices are very reasonable, but the kids didn't want to go to north as we are beachgoers rather than sightseers

Donna,

I was looking at this cruise too. I really want to do New England, and since we love to cruise, this seems like a great idea. I just don't know if the boys (9 and 13) would go for it. The only hope is that they really want to tour Fenway Park.

Also wondering if the fall would be a good time for the leaves -- but then it's days missed at school.

Then there is the driving option -- yeah right :)

Donna,

I was looking at this cruise too. I really want to do New England, and since we love to cruise, this seems like a great idea. I just don't know if the boys (9 and 13) would go for it. The only hope is that they really want to tour Fenway Park.

Also wondering if the fall would be a good time for the leaves -- but then it's days missed at school.

Then there is the driving option -- yeah right :)

I'm on hold now - I just decided to go ahead and reserve EOS 7/3/08 for just my husband and me. An inside cabin is less than $2000, and we don't have airfare to consider for this port. It's our 25th anniversary, and just too good an opportunity to pass up. The kids (16 and 14) can stay with grandma, and they'll have AOS with us 5 weeks later.

I'm thinking that if one can book far enough in advance, the price may be low enough so as to make it more difficult to find a cheaper sale price as the cruise date approaches.

It all depends on how sold out the ship is. We booked our Freedom cruise over a year in advance. Now inside rooms are going for more than we paid for a balcony. There have been no price drops. But the ship is nearly sold out, there are very few rooms left.

If there were a lot of cabins left, I'm sure we'd see a price drop.

Good Morning America had a special on cruising last Saturday. When they asked a cruise expert how to get the best prices, she said book at least a year out (and she recommended using a TA, as TA's often have groups or give OBC's for bookings).

Archived