food

It used to be the mushroom fouette (sp) (mushrooms and sauce in a flaky pastry) but they don't seem to have it anymore. They have dumbed it down and it's called something else and it's not quite as good. As mentioned, the vidalia onion tart is still pretty good. With a little luck maybe they will bring back the ranch steak......

I just love the Vidalia Onion Tart. Next time, when I go on the freedom, I want to buy the cookbook, because I think that the tart is in it. I also love the Chocolate Rainforest Cake, or something of that nature.

I just love the Vidalia Onion Tart. Next time, when I go on the freedom, I want to buy the cookbook, because I think that the tart is in it.

Personally, I think that food tastes better when someone else cooks it....:rolleyes:

The cookbook I just bought on our June 4th Cruise DOES have the Vidalia Onion Tart AND the Grand Marnier Souffle AND Warm Chocolate Pudding (more like cake). YUM!

I just love the Vidalia Onion Tart. Next time, when I go on the freedom, I want to buy the cookbook, because I think that the tart is in it. I also love the Chocolate Rainforest Cake, or something of that nature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by superjerryw viewpost.gif

With a little luck maybe they will bring back the ranch steak......

Bite your tongue!!!! :eek: :eek:

My tongue would be more tasty and easier to chew than the ranch steak....;)

Quote:

Quote:

Here is the Vidalia Onion Tart Recipe, it was posted last year or so though I don't remember by who.

Royal Caribbean International

Vidalia Onion Tart with Red Pepper Coulis Garnish

October 2006

PIE

1 pie crust purchased or

1 cup all purpose flour

½ tsp. salt

¼ cup shortening at room temperature

3 Tablespoons water

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 cup julienned Vidalia onions (2-3 onions)

1 Tablespoon chopped thyme

Salt and freshly ground pepper

FILING

½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese

3 eggs

1/3 cup heavy cream

1 Tablespoon chopped parsley

1 Tablespoon chopped chives

½ tsp. ground nutmeg

RED PEPPER COULIS

4 red bell peppers

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

GARNISH

1 medium Vidalia onion

1/3 cup vegetable oil

Fresh chervil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a medium bowl, with a fork, lightly stir together flour and salt. With fork, cut shortening into flour until the mixture resembles crumbs. Sprinkle cold water one teaspoon at a time, mixing lightly with a fork after each addition, until pastry begins to hold together. With your hands, shape into a ball. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry in 1/8 inch thick circle about 2 inches larger than pie mold.

Roll pastry circle gently onto rolling pin. Transfer to pie mold and unroll. With a sharp knife, trim edges, pinch to form a high ridge and make a decorative edge by pressing with a fork. Prick pie crust with a fork to prevent puffing during baking. Refrigerate for ½ hour.

Blind bake pie crust for 7 minutes, remove from oven and let cool.

While pie crust is baking, warm olive oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat, and sauté onions until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add thyme and season with salt and pepper.

Spread onions evenly in pie crust. Sprinkle with cheese.

In a medium bowl, beat eggs lightly; add cream, fresh herbs and seasonings. Beat until well mixed.

Pour mixture over cheese and onions. Bake for 40 minutes.

For coulis, blanch peppers in boiling water. Cool in ice water, and remove skins.

In a blender, puree the peppers and olive oil until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

For garnish, in a small skillet over high heat, warm oil and deep fry onion until golden brown (about 2 minutes).

Serve slices of tart on warmed plates, top with fried onions and garnish with spoons of pepper coulis.

The Vidalia Onion Tart is up there with my favorites, but I also am a big fan of their Asain Tofu and pretty much all of their vegetarian dishes. But the Onion tart is amazing. It took all of my strength to not eat my tablemates onion tart when they brought it to her even though she didn't order it. She said "Um I didn't order this" and the devil on my shoulder said "eat it! Look - so pretty and yummy!" but then I thought to myself "okay Laura it's the first night of the cruise. We don't need to gain 5 pounds by day 2 or have our new table mates think we're psycho". :eek: :D

Laura

The cookbook I just bought on our June 4th Cruise DOES have the Vidalia Onion Tart AND the Grand Marnier Souffle AND Warm Chocolate Pudding (more like cake). YUM!

Could you post those recipes? (I did see the Vidalia Onion Tart was posted.) I tried to buy the cookbook on Mariner and they were sold out. If you can't, I will try to buy it in October. Thanks so much.

Something called Escargot. They look a little bit like snails, but boy do they taste good.

Those are snails....and yes, the are very good. :D

We discovered this close to the last day of our last cruise…..those little sandwiches in the Promenade Café are really good. We don’t like eating in the Windjammer so this was an exciting find for us.

Archived