QE2 southampton farewell

Cunard Cruiser

Another blow to QE2. Carnival is sending her off in early evening which will be dark. This way the fanfare goodbye from shipside and pleasure boats in the harbor can not be as felt. The send-offs for Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and P&O’s Canberra all were during the day.

Carnival is just a disgrace. Their tradition is like McDonalds. Nothing but a big mac.

Carnival is just a disgrace.

Carnival saved the QE2 built the QM2 and is bringing us the QV. Who knows what they have planned for send-off - the 25th World Cruise was sent off to bands, fireworks and searchlights - the last two not a lot of use in daylight.....

Peter

As far as saved - I respectfully disagree. As written by Arison in John Maxton Graham QM2 book, Carnival purchased Cunard to build QM2. He was very clear he didn't purchase Cunard because of QE2. He needed the Cunard name to build his dream boat.

If they really wanted to save QE2 they could have made a less money deal with Southampton.

As far as saved - I respectfully disagree. As written by Arison in John Maxton Graham QM2 book, Carnival purchased Cunard to build QM2. He was very clear he didn't purchase Cunard because of QE2. He needed the Cunard name to build his dream boat.

If they really wanted to save QE2 they could have made a less money deal with Southampton.

I'm sorry, but this is nonsense.

Who had control of Cunard when Queen Elizabeth 2 became the longest serving Cunarder of all? Carnival.

Who proved all the doubters wrong and built a replacement liner?

Carnival.

Who is keeping the ship running now?

Carnival.

If you think we'd still have Queen Elizabeth 2 now without Carnival, you're very mistaken. They have done magnificently keeping the real spirit of the Queens alive - Queen Mary 2 is a real Cunarder and the true fourth Queen. Of course she's not Queen Elizabeth 2. Of course it is a dreadfully sad day to see Queen Elizabeth 2 go. But we've had her for longer than we would have had otherwise. Can we just be thankful for that?

And, quite frankly, does it matter where she goes? When the bridge ring "finished with engines" in Dubai that is the end. Full stop.

Pickling her on a beach is no place for a liner.

Matthew

Another blow to QE2. Carnival is sending her off in early evening which will be dark. This way the fanfare goodbye from shipside and pleasure boats in the harbor can not be as felt. The send-offs for Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and P&O’s Canberra all were during the day.

Carnival is just a disgrace. Their tradition is like McDonalds. Nothing but a big mac.

I'm thinking of catching some last photo's of her in Malta next year on route to Dubai, my brother's has apartment there, which over looks the entrance to Malta harbour.

Better as you say than an dark early November evening in Southampton.

I'm sorry, but this is nonsense.

Who had control of Cunard when Queen Elizabeth 2 became the longest serving Cunarder of all? Carnival.

Carnival.

Carnival.

If you think we'd still have Queen Elizabeth 2 now without Carnival, you're very mistaken. They have done magnificently keeping the real spirit of the Queens alive - Queen Mary 2 is a real Cunarder and the true fourth Queen. Of course she's not Queen Elizabeth 2. Of course it is a dreadfully sad day to see Queen Elizabeth 2 go. But we've had her for longer than we would have had otherwise. Can we just be thankful for that?

And, quite frankly, does it matter where she goes? When the bridge ring "finished with engines" in Dubai that is the end. Full stop.

Pickling her on a beach is no place for a liner.

Matthew

Matthew

I agree with every word you've written, and you've said it so much better than I could have. Thank you.

It's very, very sad to see the Queen Elizabeth 2 retire. She's had a great life, she was one of a kind and we will never see a ship like her again. How wonderful that, because of that extraordinary long life, so many have had the chance to enjoy her.

Commodore Geoffery Marr, Commodore of the Cunard Line and Master of RMS Queen Elizabeth on her final departure from Southampton, had this to say about it in his autobiography:

Compared with all the glamour of the Queen Mary's departure from Southampton the previous year, with a full load of cruise passengers, flags flying, bands playing and aircraft flying overhead in salute, the Queen Elizabeth almost folded her tents like the Arabs and silently stole away. It compared ill with the farewells in New York and Gibraltar, a British understatement with a vengeance, as though the British world of ships and shiplovers looked the other way until she had gone. The morning of 28 November was cloudy and dull, with patchy fog, as my wife and daughter drove me across the New Forest at 06.00, and although there was enough visibility for us to sail, it was only barely daylight as a skeleton crew of less than half our normal complement of seamen were struggling to take in the ropes and make fast the tugs. Indeed, it was this shortage of manpower that allowed the ship to come so far off the quay that the gangway had to be let down hurrriedly a few minutes before our scheduled sailing time of 08.00, so that my wife and daughter, together with a number of shore officials, had to be landed by tug after the ship had completed her swing in the upper swinging ground.

The few ships in harbour on that dull damp morning did salute us as we passed, and before the tugs finally left they all gave us three long blasts on their whistles; but in answering them an electrical fault developed which put our whistles out of action until the following day. Only the Royal Navy gave the ship the send-off she really deserved when, as we were passing the Nab Tower just beore 11.00, HMS Hampshire, one of the large guided missile destroyers which look almost like small cruisers, steamed close alongside with her crew manning the rails and 'cheered ship' for us. It was a very welcome tribute, and I was disturbed that I could not acknowledge it with three blasts on our powerful and distinctive whistles. I could only express my thanks and apologies in a brief radio telephone coversation with her captain. Then, as we were making our way down-Channel at about 18.00 that evening, the Carmania, returning from a Mediterranean cruise, came close alongside with all her lights on and saluted us. We also had a signal from the new Queen Elizabeth II (sic), doing her trials off the Isle of Arran, wishing us success in our new role, which make some of us smile wryly.

As we settled down to make the best of our ghost ship voyage none of us felt very cheerful: it had been a dismal departure for a ship that had given such long and valuable service. Indeed, as my wife said in one of her letters, it was almost a shameful departure, and many people felt that day that the Queen Elizabeth was being quietly swept under the carpet. However, as we got down to the warm sunshine again and gradually managed to get the ship spruced up, our spirits rose a little and we started to wonder what Florida might have in store for us.

THE QUEENS AND I

Commodore Geoffrey Marr

The Autobiography of the Captain of the Queen Mary and the Last Captain of the Queen Elizabeth

Commodore Marr notes in earlier pages that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother made a special journey to Southampton before the final cruise to Las Palmas. The Queen Mother had lunch in the Verandah Grill, met senior officers and company VIPS in the Midships Bar, toured the ship meeting crew members, and commented that she had followed closely the career of the ship which bore her name.

Commodore Marr's account of the final departure of the Queen Elizabeth from Southampton is especially poignant now, what with the date of her departure, the passage "like the Arabs and silently stole away" the reference to a signal from the new Queen Elizabeth 2, and hopefully QE2 and her officers and crew will be honored by a final visit by HM Queen Elizabeth either this September or next year some time.

The Queen Elizabeth is gone, Queen Mary is suffering, Queen Elizabeth 2 is going, long live Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria.

I thought this passage from the Commodore's book was appropriate for this thread.

Carnival.

Carnival.

Yes to all three. Why? Because she was a cash cow the past few years. And they needed a QE2 in service before the debut of QM2.

QM2 is a wonderful ship not doubt and a true liner - but is only on the edge of being a true Cunarder. She was made in France with $$$. After sailing 30 years only with QE2 and my family sailing have 150 sailings combined with Cunard, my seasoned opinion is she is a Cunard want-to- be.

Commodore Geoffery Marr, Commodore of the Cunard Line and Master of RMS Queen Elizabeth on her final departure from Southampton, had this to say about it in his autobiography:...

I thought this passage from the Commodore's book was appropriate for this thread.

Thanks, Kyle.

You brought tears to my eyes (Which would have been embarassing if anyone had walked in. I'm at work!)

Perhaps she should bring along one of those portable airhorns, just in case.. so folks know that she's not snubbing them when she doesn't whistle back. How very sad... and fitting.

I have bookmarked at home, the final radio transmission of the QM leaving New York on her last journey down the Hudson. I also have the last sign off.

For radio people (Hams, etc) you can appreciate the poignancy (I can't even type it without crying) They keyed her mike one last time, then cut the power. As the power gradually faded (DC) the rf tone died off, mournfully. I can hear the doppler effect dying out in my head, even as I type it.

I might have an email on my work computer that has the url. I'll try to find it. Again, it is gut wrenching.

Karie,

who should be working!

QM2 is a wonderful ship not doubt and a true liner - but is only on the edge of being a true Cunarder. She was made in France with $$$.

Have you sailed on her? I was of your view until I did.

What makes a "true Cunarder" anyway?

Matthew

PS I'm a great lover of Queen Elizabeth 2 - she is very, very special to me. But that doesn't blind me to the qualities of Queen Mary 2.

But I'd always choose a trip on Queen Elizabeth 2 rather than Queen Mary 2, other things being equal.

Matthew

Everyone forgets the obvious - A) The QE2 was going to be gone soon enough due to its age no matter who owned it and B) there likely would be no Cunard today without Carnival or it would be a sorely lacking Cunard.

So this talk about the end of Cunard and a conspiracy to kill off the QE2 is bordering on hysteria. Its okay to love the QE2 dearly and its okay to mourn the end of an era. I'm certainly doing the latter. I totally sympathize with those who feel like losing the ship is like losing a family member. I'm even doing this year's sailing because I wanted the chance to be on her before the end. However.................

As for the QM2 being built in France. Name one cruise line that has recently built a ship in Britain? Cunard/Carnival cannot be blamed solely for the state of affairs in shipbuilding today. Sure the Cunard of today may not be the Cunard of the glory days of the QE2 but that wasn't like the Cunard of the days of the "ia" ships and the original Queens.

Cunardival simply made a sane business decision. Life moves on!

David

My “sane” reply:

Yes, I sailed on QM2 several times and going again later this year. As I said before she is wonderful, but just doesn’t give me the Cunard feel. Will I continue to sail QM2 - yes.

What can I say QE2 has spoiled me over the years. I have seen first hand her past owners and my thoughts are from my personal experience.

I agree that Carnival was better suited than Trafalgar but I feel that Carnival is use to managing “every day” cruise ships and I think there are many other threads on this board (other than me) that point out the Carnival/Princess issues (downgrading amenities, reservation problems, etc). All I know there was a different manner about Cunard pre-Carnival.

I have bookmarked at home, the final radio transmission of the QM leaving New York on her last journey down the Hudson. I also have the last sign off.

For radio people (Hams, etc) you can appreciate the poignancy (I can't even type it without crying) They keyed her mike one last time, then cut the power. As the power gradually faded (DC) the rf tone died off, mournfully. I can hear the doppler effect dying out in my head, even as I type it.

Allow me, please.

It can be heard here

http://www.sterling.rmplc.co.uk/visions/morse1.mp3

If you have an MP3 player on your computer.

It said:

TO MANAGER AND STAFF WSC TUCKERTONRADIO // AS WE TAKE OUR LEAVE OF NEWYORK AND REGRETFULLY STEAM DOWN THE HUDSON FOR THE LAST TIME WE SEND YOU ALL OUR THANKS AND APPRECIATION FOR THE COOPERATION EXTENDED TO US OVER THE YEARS BEST WISHES AND OUR KINDEST REGARDS // RADIO STAFF GBTT+

No doubt a similar message will be sent from QE2

Kyle,

Many thanks for finding and sharing and dusting the cobwebs of these great memories.

Much appreciated!!

You're more than welcome! :)

You should see the books I have... :rolleyes:

And to all the lurkers, those who don't normally visit the Cunard forum, and those who have not had the honor of sailing on Queen Elizabeth 2, thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us.

Thanks, Kyle.

And here is the last transmission as she turned off her transmitters for good in Long Beach.

http://www.jacksjoint.com/queen.htm

If this doesn't bring tears to your eye, then you simply aren't human!

Karie,

still cries when I read it, to even talk about it! And I grew up with radio (ham and CAP communications officer) and am in a related business now.

Thanks, Kyle.

And here is the last transmission as she turned off her transmitters for good in Long Beach.

http://www.jacksjoint.com/queen.htm

If this doesn't bring tears to your eye, then you simply aren't human!

Karie,

still cries when I read it, to even talk about it! And I grew up with radio (ham and CAP communications officer) and am in a related business now.

Damn. I waited to long to edit.

I included a pretty good explanation of this transmission and the responses.

CQ DE GBSS BT AMVER NOW QTP LONG BEACH — FOREVER BT (*)73*S (**)VA**

Remember this was in Morse Code.

CQ= Seek You- a call to anyone listening

DE= from

GBSS= QM's radio call sign

BT= break (Separates sections of a transmission)

AMVER- designates an automated Merchant vessel report

Now QTP Long Beach Forever- QTP means coming into port

73's= Best wishes

OM means Old Man- an affectionate term for other radio operators

D,G,U,J, call signs originating from Germany, UK, Russia, Japan, Of course W and K are allocated to the US.

Remember these are probably ships.

Kodiak is in Alaska.

Every Radio operator within hearing was wishing the ship's operator (and by extension, the ship) the best. They all knew that this was her last transmission, and it was pretty emotional.

I believe the call sign was re-assigned to the QE2. can anyone help me here?

Karie,

Still teary

Archived