** Balcony Ritual **

VaBeachCruisers897

AND SO OFTEN YOU HEAR "YOU DON'T NEED AN EXPENSIVE BALCONY ROOM"!!!!

WE WILL NEVER GET A ROOM WITHOUT A BALCONY.

IT IS SO WORTH THE EXTRA $. THOSE PEOPLE THAT THINK THE BALCONY ISN'T WORTH IT- FINE, THAT LEAVES THOSE ROOMS FOR US WHO LOVE THEM!!:D :D

Nothing like a balcony for all the things mentioned. But one question. If so many of us like balcony cabins, why do I always get stuck near someone who feels the need to keep their light on?

...and yes, we have asked politely, bribed the room steward and put notes on the door. :mad:

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this is an approved activity but we had fun blowing bubbles from our balcony. It got lots of smiles from people walking along the walkway when leaving the ship and people on other balconies as the bubbles drifted by. We had our 2 year old grandson with us and he got a kick out of watching them. You can't help but smile and feel great with bubbles! :)

Oh come on BalconyLover...you live in Nebraska and you don't know why you need the string in the winter time? I am going to guess you are a woman. :D

Im sorry but I have to ask the same question ..why do you need string? Im an aussie who has never seen snow or been to alaska or been on the balcony of a cruise ship in winter ..

My DH and DD had breakfast out on our balcony every morning so I could sleep in a little (we fight a 3hr time difference, seems to effect them diferent than me). My DD and I spent many nights out there watching hundreds of dolphins and still talk about the dolphins teaching the young ones to hunt. It just doesn't get any better than that. As for smoking, I do smoke out there because my DD did require naps and went to bed early and it was easier to smoke on my balcony than to tread up stairs to the other side of the deck. She was much younger then and we spent alot of time in our cabin.

Im sorry but I have to ask the same question ..why do you need string? Im an aussie who has never seen snow or been to alaska or been on the balcony of a cruise ship in winter ..

I believe what he was trying to say is that in the winter sometimes the horse doesn't want to go for the walk so easily, so you need the reigns to help them get out of the barn.... :D

I don't know if this is an approved activity but we had fun blowing bubbles from our balcony. It got lots of smiles from people walking along the walkway when leaving the ship and people on other balconies as the bubbles drifted by. We had our 2 year old grandson with us and he got a kick out of watching them. You can't help but smile and feel great with bubbles! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=639852&page=2

an older thread about sail away/bon voyage with bubbles a great idea and a fun read through ;-)

thought some might enjoy!

Personally....I LOVE THE IDEA

:confused: A few people have mentioned enjoying a glass of wine on their balcony - wine that they had purchased in port. I thought they always confiscated wine and liquor when you got back on the ship and held it. Is the policy different in Europe? We are on a Mediterranean cruise in Oct. and would love to by the local wines and enjoy them while cruising. Thanks.

I dont think I ever posted this one.....

We bring fancy chocolate for when and if we have friends and guests back to the cabin for a drink!! Also, we bring a few martini glasses back to the room (washed and dried), to put the chocolate in along with a small cute platter or two for wrapped choco/candy (Ferrera Rocher which sometimes you can find in a nicer plastic container) doesnt need a plate/platter.

Also, chocolate is something I love and usually dont eat so it's a treat to have it there if we want it!!

:confused: A few people have mentioned enjoying a glass of wine on their balcony - wine that they had purchased in port. I thought they always confiscated wine and liquor when you got back on the ship and held it. Is the policy different in Europe? We are on a Mediterranean cruise in Oct. and would love to by the local wines and enjoy them while cruising. Thanks.

I wonder what ship thats on!? The cruiselines typically take your alcohol purchases and hold them until the last night then deliver them to your cabin.

You can always get drinks at the bar and bring them back to the room and drink on your balcony...WE DO!!

Unfortunately, I am looking out my window and seeing lots and lots of snow but I still don't know what the string is for:D

I have heard a travel expert say that dental floss is also good for numerous purposes while traveling. I never leave the house without it but the only use I can think of is for flossing.

Can someone please tell us what the string is for???????

Rorygirl,

thanks for the great idea, I put bubbles on my list. Not sailing until Aug, and by then the idea of bringing bubbles will be forgotten. I am sure your grandson loves the bubbles but my dd who is 17 may not find as much excitment in the bubbles. I will get the usual "you are dork stare" when I am happily blowing bubbles from our balcony.

thanks again for a great idea

After 12 cruises we had our first balcony last month. As my wife said.... we've created a monster! What we enjoyed on our balcony:

breakfast every morning

flying fish and dolphins...even think we saw a few sharks one day

saw stingrays while docked in Coz

Jimmy Buffett on our Ipod speakers, cocktails and sunsets

ocean sounds at night

adult fun both day and night(!)

watching people in port trying to get back on board in time

in short....we loved all of it and won't ever go back inside!

hc

After 12 cruises we had our first balcony last month. As my wife said.... we've created a monster! What we enjoyed on our balcony:

in short....we loved all of it and won't ever go back inside!

hc

So true. DH and I discussed taking an outside cabin, no balcony but at least light and a bit of view, so we could cruise more often, but that would be taking away most of what we so much enjoy about being on a ship.

I too LOVE my balcony...as a matter of fact, I would be happy with just a balcony....no need for the actual room. But what I don't like (as a matter of fact, strongly dislike) is going out with the anticipation of having a nice relaxing time on my balcony (with or without a glass of wine), and someone close to me is smoking a smelly cigar or cigarette.....YUCK......how to ruin a wonderful experience for others in one puff......:(

We actually won't cruise without a balcony. On our Grand Princess cruise last month we used our balcony every day. It's so great on sea days to have a quiet private spot to sit and read or just sit and stare at the ocean. I was so relaxed that I actually napped each afternoon on the balcony. I also love love love sitting out with my coffee cup and watching the sun rise. Oh, I just need to book another cruise right away.

I loved my balcony, and I would not sail without one now that I''ve experienced it.

These are my favorite things I did on the balcony:

Watching the water, sky, and flying fish (It wasn't the rum, Cruisetobeaches. I saw them, too.:D)

Reading - I devoured the book I had been meaning to read for the past months.

Blowing bubbles - I had the scented ones I picked up from the Dollar Tree for a buck. Grape, strawberry, and mint were in one package, so that just added another level of excitement (easily amused)

Watching the stragglers scramble aboard;)

I went with my grandmother, so she would nap, and I would read. Then we'd just comment on the scenery together. It was great.

Two weeks to go until our first cruise with a balcony! Thanks, all, for these inspiring posts!

One week for us!!!!!!!!!!

Now if only we can shake these colds we have just come down with.

One week for us!!!!!!!!!!

Now if only we can shake these colds we have just come down with.

Get some echinacia to help rid yourselves of the colds. They won't let you board the ship if you are visibly sick. We had our first balcony last year, so wonderful!! We sail in a week too. Have a wonderful time:D