Purchasing Euros Onboard Legend

We are going on the Legend in few weeks and was wondering what they charge onboard to purchase Euros? What conversion rate did they use (just to get an idea). We are looking for last weeks conversion rate to compare it to current rates being offered by banks.

Thanks a lot.

RMLLEL

We are going on the Legend in few weeks and was wondering what they charge onboard to purchase Euros? What conversion rate did they use (just to get an idea). We are looking for last weeks conversion rate to compare it to current rates being offered by banks.

Thanks a lot.

RMLLEL

Exchange on the ship is not the best rate, but if it is only a small amount you reguire it is ok.

Most ports do have exchange kiosks close by,depending what you want to do

Last time (about 3 years ago) when I needed Euros, I purchased them before we left for the cruise at 'our' local (Michigan) American Express and the rate at that time (of course a lot better than now) was a little better than most other banks...pretty much the 'official rate' of exchange at that time.

I do not know which "Legend" you will be sailing on (Carnival or Royal Caribbean - they both got one)....but if it is the LOS.....we were on it on our cruise to Hawaii and we did like it very much.

Enjoy your cruise.

Wes

I just sailed Legend in the Med in May, and although I no longer remember exactly what the rate was, I do have a recollection that it was a fair bit "worse" than what I was getting from the ATM. I used to buy money ahead of my trips but now I just hit the first ATM upon arrival. There was an ATM in the baggage claim in Rome, so it was really easy to take care of that before hitting the street. I think we got about $1.35 per Euro, fees inclusive. The rate that Amex was charging in the States was considerably higher, particularly since they charged a fee in addition.

Last time (about 3 years ago) when I needed Euros, I purchased them before we left for the cruise at 'our' local (Michigan) American Express and the rate at that time (of course a lot better than now) was a little better than most other banks...pretty much the 'official rate' of exchange at that time.

I do not know which "Legend" you will be sailing on (Carnival or Royal Caribbean - they both got one)....but if it is the LOS.....we were on it on our cruise to Hawaii and we did like it very much.

Enjoy your cruise.

Wes

I am guessing since they are on the RCI board they are on LOS, and not Carnival. :rolleyes:

We checked AAA and the rate was 1.4195. We also checked Wells Fargo and the rate was 1.4093. Was hoping the ship would be less. So far haven't found any cheaper bank rates. Does anyone know of any? Thanks.

I am guessing since they are on the RCI board they are on LOS, and not Carnival. :rolleyes:

Any why would anyone want to buy Euros on the Carnival Legend, it sails the Caribbean out of Tampa.

We checked AAA and the rate was 1.4195. We also checked Wells Fargo and the rate was 1.4093. Was hoping the ship would be less. So far haven't found any cheaper bank rates. Does anyone know of any? Thanks.

Frankly I would be shocked if the rate on the ship was any better than this. They offer the money changing as a convenience, and I'm sure they extract some kind of premium for that. Keep in mind that if we're only talking about a hundred Euros or so, the difference in the above two rates would amount to $1. While I appreciate knowing that in a pinch I can get money on the ship, I would think that your own bank would give you a better rate at an ATM (I could, of course, be completely wrong ;) ). I do know that my credit union charged a much lower fee than my travelling companion's BofA card did, so it would pay to ask. The ATM on the ship dispenses dollars by the way, so you'd need to use one in port.

Thanks. Is there anyone who has been on any of the Royal Carib ships sailing in the Med recently who have gotten euros onboard? How was the conversion rate?

I just sailed onboard the Legend, but I´m sorry I can´t help with the rate as I of course didn´t need to check for getting Euros.

However the ships rate would almost never be better than a banks rate.

Been on RCCL to Europe four times. Have always got Euro's at the airport on arrival. Will be on the Legend 6/6/07 and do the same. Best to take american cash for the purchase.

Any why would anyone want to buy Euros on the Carnival Legend, it sails the Caribbean out of Tampa.

Yes, being on the RCI board it is a good assumption that it is LOS....did not check neither Carnival's Legend or LOS's intinerary....so I did not know where they sail and which "Legend" it was.....no big deal in asking....as far as the Euro is concern ......yes it is used in some countries in the Caribbean too.

Wes

Please post when you return because I have the same question.

Yesterday, while at AAA we checked on their rate because we have a group going to the Baltic on the Jewel of the Seas. $200 would convert to 138.41 Euros

We will be exchanging for our entire group for 5 different countries therefore we will be well above $500 and will not encounter a fee for the process. Or original plan was to have the purser exchange the money for us but decided it would save us time if we took care of it here.

:) Have a wonderful cruise and please let us know about your cruise because we are considering that itinerary for our next cruise.:)

Thanks. Is there anyone who has been on any of the Royal Carib ships sailing in the Med recently who have gotten euros onboard? How was the conversion rate?

It was 1.41 on Brilliance this month.

Yesterday, while at AAA we checked on their rate because we have a group going to the Baltic on the Jewel of the Seas. $200 would convert to 138.41 Euros/quote]This AAA rate is about 7.5%.

That AAA rate works out to $1.4449 per Euro (I think they said that included the fees). GMoney above says the rate on Brilliance was $1.41 (did that include any fees?). For comparison, looking at my statements, I made three ATM withdrawals from my Credit Union (all were in various parts of Italy, but not on purpose) and paid $1.362, $1.364, and $1.364 INCLUSIVE of all ATM fees (in other words it was actually $1.35 plus a separate 1% fee). I made several charges on my American Express card in various countries and paid $1.374, $1.375, and $1.377, inclusive of any and all fees. This makes sense since Amex admitted before I left that they charged a 2% conversion fee. I know when I checked the Amex Travel office before we left the fees drove the rate to something ridiculous like $1.48. I'm sure a larger purchase would bring that down.

I know we paid a bit more on a BofA ATM transaction but I don't have that rate handy. I'll post when I look it up, but it was still less than we would have paid at one of those horrible Travelex booths at the airport.

It was 1.41 on Brilliance this month.
Hey, an answer to the OP's question! Very good, GMoney.

$1.41/euro works out to about 5%, assuming no other fees. That's about what you would pay at a US bank. It beats Travelex and most other exchange bureaus. It is good news for Royal Caribbean cruisers who won't use an ATM.

We used an ATM at a bank in port and got 1.479 euros to the £. Our debit card does not charge for converting and the rate at home was 1.42 euros to the £ so it was better to do it in port.

Archived