Back-to-Back Questions

Desertbelle

We have booked a wonderful back to back cruise for Spring of 2009....Australia to New Zealand to Honolulu. :D

At this point we were only able to confirm one of the terrific aft cabins for the first segment of the cruise, so we will be moving to another cabin half way through our cruise. How do people generally handle this?

Also, do they insist you disembark with everyone else and recheck-in for the second segment of the b2b?

I am not upset or nervous about any of this, just curious how others have handled this situation.

When we have done a B2B, they usually make you get off, but you get special treatment, ie a card to get you rechecked in rapidly. You will have to get a new key card, new picture, etc. We also had a nice luncheon set up just for the B2B'ers, but each ship may be different for this.

I hope that you can get the same aft, but moving should not be a big problem. Your room steward should help you. Also, keep checking if your cabin opens up for the second leg of your trip.

We are also doing a b-2-b in March 2009 and were very fortunate to get the same cabin for both segments. While we didn't get our first choice, we got something we were happy with. It truly amazes me that booking this far ahead this issue exists!

You are only required to get off, according to our experience, when visiting US ports. In other locations you probably want to do a tour anyways. The day before, you will be given an in-transit pass and your new "Key" cards. When reboarding after a tour, you will have your picture taken again.

You will have to prepare your "stuff" for transfers to your next stateroom but your cabin steward will be happy to move everything for your for a tip.

We seldom go to the bother of ANY flight without an extended B2B sailing.

I wish I could handle the long flight but DVT keeps me from visiting NZ on Mercury and the flight back.

We are also doing a b-2-b in March 2009 and were very fortunate to get the same cabin for both segments. While we didn't get our first choice, we got something we were happy with. It truly amazes me that booking this far ahead this issue exists!

Yeah, it amazes me too. We have been looking at this March/April 2009 cruise for a month or more. We wanted an aft CC but we couldn't find the same one on both legs of the b2b, so we book a nice CC cabin that we had in Europe (one of the nice extended balcony ones,) and asked the TA to watch for an Aft CC for us and she found one for part of the trip....hopefully another one will come up or even the same one...after all we have nearly 2 years for someone to let go of one of those cabins!! :D:D

You are only required to get off, according to our experience, when visiting US ports. In other locations you probably want to do a tour anyways. The day before, you will be given an in-transit pass and your new "Key" cards. When reboarding after a tour, you will have your picture taken again.

You will have to prepare your "stuff" for transfers to your next stateroom but your cabin steward will be happy to move everything for your for a tip.

We seldom go to the bother of ANY flight without an extended B2B sailing.

I wish I could handle the long flight but DVT keeps me from visiting NZ on Mercury and the flight back.

Thanks, XatSea, you are correct, we will probably want to get off in Auckland for a tour anyways. It's good to know we don't have to do the moving ourselves, a tip to have our steward do it will be well worth it!

I am not a great flyer either, really doubted I could make it to Venice a couple of years ago, but I just brought a lot of things to do to pass my time and before I knew it we were there. I know the flight to Australia will be tough, but I truly want to see this part of the world before I am too old to enjoy it! ;)

To tell the truth, being gone from home for 5 weeks is going to freak me out more than the airplane trip....but not enough to make me cancel this cruise!! :D

We are on the same cruise but are also doing the Hilo to Vancouver leg. We have done b2b before on Millie and it was as stated before easy and seamless. We are very interested in someplace to take a break in air journey from CA to Sydney--any ideas??:confused:

i've done the lax/syd flight more than once and generally in business or first. itsa brutal flight. 15 1/2 hrs !!

promised myself i wouldnt do it again, i would try to find another route. maybe lax/ppt stay a couple of days then ppt/syd. papeete is about half way there from lax.

you may want to consider it if you do not want to be on a plane for that long.

• 2 weeks later...

Margie,

We had the same problem with our 2008 B2B but perseverance won out. We now have Aft cabins for both legs (although not the same cabin). We're hoping that we can accomplish that onboard or that something will come up when final payments are due. In the meantime, if we have to move, it'll only be a few cabins away. I will be posting while onboard and, of course, after the trip, so you'll get first hand info long before your cruise. Sorry that you're not going with us, but at least we'll provide lots of info.

We're spending an overnight in Honolulu on the way to Sydney (mostly because of great airfare combos that we worked out). At least there will be a respite on the way. I've done trips down under 3 times and know it' can be done but it isn't a comfortable way to travel unless you can do First Class. We were lucky enough to do that the first time when FF seats were more available and it was heavenly....

I have a question regarding B2B cruises since those of you who have posted seem quite experienced with them. Is there an easy way to find out the sailing schedule of a particular ship? I am having to do a lot of searching of dates and am hoping there is an easier way!

Hi,

Two things:

a) Your room -- both your old room and your new room -- caretaker will help you move...or even take care of it themselves, leaving you free to do other things. If you need a laundry or other bag, just ask (we didn't want to pack our dirty laundry to change rooms).

b) Enjoy the back-to-back...it's a great luxury. But we surprised ourselves with one element of it. It's difficult not to get caught up in the rush and sadness of those exiting the ship even when you're staying on. At least it was for us. It was the first time we realized how passengers, overall, bring a feeling to a cruise...and when you're out of synch with that, it's not nearly as fun. But then you'll pick up the excitement again as your next shipmates board. Have fun : )

First, you're doing a great itinerary! We've twice done California to Sydney (or back) on Princess ships...I can't tell you how much we've enjoyed it!!!

We do B2Bs a lot, at least half our cruises have been done that way. The immigration requirements vary by port, and you may not have to pass through immigration at all (Buenos Aires on the Mercury) or may have to exit the ship with a group of B2Bers after the other passengers have disembarked, walk through immigration and then reboard (or go on your way sightseeing). The port, more than the cruise line or ship, makes the determination.

As for changing cabins...we've done that a lot too, and it is never quite as easy for us as it has apparently been for others. The cabin stewards are extremely busy on turnaround day, and while they will provide a cart with a hanging bar, that's about the extent of what we've gotten. We have better luck finding our second cabin toward the end of the first cruise, and talking to the steward who handles it. Assuming he/she will be in the same location on the next cruise, we ask them to make up the new cabin as soon as possible (after all, it depends on the current occupants leaving). And we let our first steward know we'll be a little late leaving that cabin. They seem to appreciate the notification (not enough to actually move us, though), and if we're lucky, we're moved and on our way by 11am or so. But I would be really reluctant to plan an all day excursion on turnaround day unless I was keeping the same cabin.

I have a question regarding B2B cruises since those of you who have posted seem quite experienced with them. Is there an easy way to find out the sailing schedule of a particular ship? I am having to do a lot of searching of dates and am hoping there is an easier way!

Have you tried Celebrity's website - by clicking Plan a Cruise on the top menu bar, then click on Ships on the side menu bar, then click on Ship Calendar on the side menu bar? This might give you what you want.

Have you tried Celebrity's website - by clicking Plan a Cruise on the top menu bar, then click on Ships on the side menu bar, then click on Ship Calendar on the side menu bar? This might give you what you want.

Thanks! That is a big help. I figured there had to be a way!

Archived