Review - Brilliance of the Seas B2B Med Cruises (Venice and Greek Isles) - Part 1

Thanks so much for your time writing the review and talking with me live from the ship

Did you go to any clubs in Barcelona?

Thank you again Patrick

Tom

Sorry Tom - I didn't get to any clubs. I'm usually in bed by 10pm. :D

Patrick:

Perfectly understandable; let's see, 18 hrs to complete setup with AT&T....yikes; did it really take that long for some folks?

Love the iPhone; HATE AT&T. :mad:

Patrick, what a great review! Katherine was on her first or second stint as Concierge when we were on Brilliance in 2005. We found her to be wonderful. Other than the crowds at happy hour, did you enjoy her as well?

I really didn't get to see enough of Katherine to form an opinion one way or another. She was very pleasant in the handful of interactions I had with her.

Patrick-

Great review and how fortunate for you to be able to cruise for 24 days!!! Can't wait to read the rest.

If possible, could you email me through the link in my signature? Would like to discuss a possible interview with you.

Thanks!!!

I sent you an email; let me know if for some reason you did not receive it.

Patrick how do you pack for 24 days with just 2 small bags? Every one wants to know that one!!!!

LOL, well, I'm a good packer and I make extensive use of the ship's laundry! :)

To me, packing for 24 nights is not that different from packing for 7. I bring more of a few items, but that's about it. I have a great piece of carry-on luggage that I got from Costco about 6-8 years ago and use the vacuum bags made by Eagle Creek. I wear my suit jacket so I don't have to pack it, and slide a pair of shoes in pouches on the outside of my backpack which works perfectly.

I probably spent about $60 on laundry over the 24 days, but it was well worth it. They do a great job in a short time, and I find their work to be superior.

If anything, I was disappointed because I still overpacked. :D

LOL, well, I'm a good packer and I make extensive use of the ship's laundry! :)

To me, packing for 24 nights is not that different from packing for 7. I bring more of a few items, but that's about it. I have a great piece of carry-on luggage that I got from Costco about 6-8 years ago and use the vacuum bags made by Eagle Creek. I wear my suit jacket so I don't have to pack it, and slide a pair of shoes in pouches on the outside of my backpack which works perfectly.

I probably spent about $60 on laundry over the 24 days, but it was well worth it. They do a great job in a short time, and I find their work to be superior.

If anything, I was disappointed because I still overpacked. :D

Patrick, I'm really enjoying your series.

I have to say that, when I read that you took 2 carry-ons for a 24-day cruise, you immediately shot to the top of my "Cruising Guru" list! :D

It's the Dining Room attire that seems to take up so much space in our luggage. If I'm not mistaken, you would have had 6 formal nights. Do you skip those or rent a tux? Did you find the European cruises to be more formal, in attire, than the usual American-based RCI cruises?

Assuming that you made purchases while on the cruise, how did you get them home? Thanks!!! ~ Lorna

Patrick, I'm really enjoying your series.

I have to say that, when I read that you took 2 carry-ons for a 24-day cruise, you immediately shot to the top of my "Cruising Guru" list! :D

It's the Dining Room attire that seems to take up so much space in our luggage. If I'm not mistaken, you would have had 6 formal nights. Do you skip those or rent a tux? Did you find the European cruises to be more formal, in attire, than the usual American-based RCI cruises?

Assuming that you made purchases while on the cruise, how did you get them home? Thanks!!! ~ Lorna

Hi Lorna - I'm glad you are enjoying the posts!

As far as formal wear goes, I usually have the same problem. I just wore the same suit but changed shirts and ties. I did find the cruises to be slightly more formal, but not really too different than the standard Caribbean cruise.

I only purchased 2 shirts on the cruise, so I was able to cram them into my bag. It was the free C&A gifts we got on the member cruise that weighed me down! But somehow I managed to stuff it all in...

It was the free C&A gifts we got on the member cruise that weighed me down! But somehow I managed to stuff it all in...

Patiently waiting for installment 3 so I can hear the list of gifts! I am doing my first member's cruise in September and can't wait to see the goodies! :)

Glad to hear something about this hotel as we are using it for 2 reasons

1- We have so many points with marriott that why not use it for a free hotel

2- Convenient to go to airport next morning and free shuttle to boot!

So it was a ok hotel then? Do you suggest a Taxi to the center of the city or the airport thingy?

We will do a Cruise excursion at the end a tour that takes us to sagrada familia and gothic area etc... then to the airport so this way we have our luggage with us it drops us at airport and we ahve free shuttle, we figured at this time we will either be

1- TO tired from the crusie to even want to do much

2- Whatever we saw on the tour and want to see more of and have the energy we will take a taxi too

3- go get a bite to eat somewhere if all else fails!

SO any place you highly recommend that is not going to break whats left of the bank?

Port or Starboard? Which would be better on the Med/Greek Isles itinerary?

Can't wait for the next installment.

Kathy

IMO it doesn't really matter one way or another. More often than not, you are docked deep in some industrial port and there's not too much to see either way.

Glad to hear something about this hotel as we are using it for 2 reasons

1- We have so many points with marriott that why not use it for a free hotel

2- Convenient to go to airport next morning and free shuttle to boot!

So it was a ok hotel then? Do you suggest a Taxi to the center of the city or the airport thingy?

We will do a Cruise excursion at the end a tour that takes us to sagrada familia and gothic area etc... then to the airport so this way we have our luggage with us it drops us at airport and we ahve free shuttle, we figured at this time we will either be

1- TO tired from the crusie to even want to do much

2- Whatever we saw on the tour and want to see more of and have the energy we will take a taxi too

3- go get a bite to eat somewhere if all else fails!

SO any place you highly recommend that is not going to break whats left of the bank?

The hotel was fine; I would have no problem staying there again. It's just the location that's a bit of a negative, but a free stay on points is worth it.

You could take a taxi into the city; there are always some right outside the hotel, but I would stick with the bus or train connection. They are easy and inexpensive. I think the taxi would run you around 20 - 30 Euro.

The only place I would highly recommend is Montserrat, but again, I enjoyed this mainly because of the hiking. The ship also offers this as a post-cruise excursion for just under $50.

Thanks for the reviews and your "live" notes as well. But when will part 3 come???? Aren't we terrible ...like little kids ....cannot wait! By the way how is the Iphone?

Working on part 3 now. After a 2-day processing delay from ATT, iPhone is up and running and it is awesome! :)

Thank you for this wonderful review! I just found it and haven't read the whole thing yet, I've only read the ship review. We are planning the a Med cruise with the Greek Isles in 2009 with a group of friends so I am very much interested! Now to go back and read about your ports....:)

Archived