Review - Brilliance of the Seas B2B Med Cruises (Venice and Greek Isles) - Part 1

• 3 weeks later...
Patrick, this brought back memories of our Brilliance Med cruise almost three years ago. We loved the Champagne Bar as well, and spent almost every night there with Rusti. It was amazing that he could remember everyone's name after one night...

P.S. I think they should get rid of the Concierge Lounge, too. Too many people, and too many campers.

We love the CL and would be very disappointed to have it taken away because a couple of people don't suit there needs anymore! There are always people who may spoil it, but we all shouldn't have to pay the price for that!

Hi Terri - Glad you liked the review. I never got to part 3; too distracted by other cruises. I may get to it one of these days. :)

I'd be happy to answer any port of call questions.

We're doing the med/greek isles next summer and I'm just getting started w/ the planning. I have been to the Italy ports before but am new to barcelona, villefranche, kusadasi, santorini. Any particular "musts" here? I have looked at the ports of call boards for some help but am curious about your thoughts since you've just "been there" and "done that" :)

I noticed you especially liked the hiking aspect of the monastery - any other stops where outdoor scenery & hiking complement the sightseeing in this way?? (I know there's lots of walking in the cities but that's not what I mean). I don't want to spend the whole trip on a tour bus LOL!! ;)

We're doing the med/greek isles next summer and I'm just getting started w/ the planning. I have been to the Italy ports before but am new to barcelona, villefranche, kusadasi, santorini. Any particular "musts" here? I have looked at the ports of call boards for some help but am curious about your thoughts since you've just "been there" and "done that" :)

I noticed you especially liked the hiking aspect of the monastery - any other stops where outdoor scenery & hiking complement the sightseeing in this way?? (I know there's lots of walking in the cities but that's not what I mean). I don't want to spend the whole trip on a tour bus LOL!! ;)

For outdoor scenery and hiking, I can't recommend Montserrat enough. It is beautiful and perfect for a day hike as short or long as you want, with some sightseeing sprinkled in. I wish I had had more time to spend there.

The other place I would highly recommend for this is Villefranche, and the hike up to Eze. You'd take the train to Eze sur Mer, which is a short 5-10 minutes ride from Villefranche. When leaving the train station, you then walk west about 5 minutes along the main seaside road to Frederic Nietschze road. It's a small side street that's marked, but not very well, so look for it. You'll progress up a long series of steps in a neighborhood of very impressive homes which eventually turn into a trail that ascends into the hills and up to the medieval village of Eze. The trail is well marked and you will likely see some locals along the way. The hike is about an hour long, of moderate difficulty and provides some stunning views.

Once at Eze Village, you can sightsee, shop and have lunch. There's plenty of info on Eze Village on the Port of Call boards, so I won't go into a lot of detail on it.

You can then walk down to Eze Sur Mer and take the train (back to Villefranche - or Nice or Monte Carlo, if you have time and energy). Alternatively, if you're tired or the weather isn't good, you can grab the bus back down. I think the bus is 1.30 Euro. There is a TI in Eze Village that is very helpful.

I don't have a lot to say about Kusadasi; most everything there revolves around Ephesus and shopping. In Santorini I rented a scooter and drove all over the island, which I really enjoyed and highly recommend for any Greek Isle stop.

Here are Eze hike pictures. http://web.mac.com/mellicon/iWeb/Site/The%20French%20Riviera.html

Hope that helps...

Thanks!! Great pix!! I didn't think I could see them here at work (I can't usually access photo albums) but got lucky with yours!!

Do you speak French? Wondering whether that's needed if we strike out on our own. your hike looks perfect.

Do you speak French? Wondering whether that's needed if we strike out on our own. your hike looks perfect.

I don't speak anything but English, but it was never a barrier anywhere along the way. The man in the Villefranche train station spoke enough English for me to buy a ticket. The folks in the Eze TI spoke English and were very friendly.

I don't speak anything but English, but it was never a barrier anywhere along the way. The man in the Villefranche train station spoke enough English for me to buy a ticket. The folks in the Eze TI spoke English and were very friendly.

Thanks again and happy cruising (looking at your sig I have cruise envy!!) :)

Patrick:

We were hoping for part #3, but truly know how that goes! Got a few questions, if you don't mind.

We have the overnight in Venice itinerary, so it was great to read all of your input. Some simple math tells me we need the 36 hour vaporetto pass unless we take several hours to get off the ship ~ does the ship dock near the train station or near San Marco square? I'm guessing we can purchase the pass right there?

This will be our first RCCL Platinum cruise, so is there priority boarding in Barcelona? We also have transfers after back to the airport, but the airlines keep bumping our flight up and now we leave at 10:30 am, so we're wondering if that is still within tolerance for RCCL's requirement Oh, and just what C&A goodie are they giving out these days?

Sure hope the CL doesn't go by the wayside; we've been working hard to get there!

Patrick:

We were hoping for part #3, but truly know how that goes! Got a few questions, if you don't mind.

We have the overnight in Venice itinerary, so it was great to read all of your input. Some simple math tells me we need the 36 hour vaporetto pass unless we take several hours to get off the ship ~ does the ship dock near the train station or near San Marco square? I'm guessing we can purchase the pass right there?

This will be our first RCCL Platinum cruise, so is there priority boarding in Barcelona? We also have transfers after back to the airport, but the airlines keep bumping our flight up and now we leave at 10:30 am, so we're wondering if that is still within tolerance for RCCL's requirement Oh, and just what C&A goodie are they giving out these days?

Sure hope the CL doesn't go by the wayside; we've been working hard to get there!

We docked out in the boonies at the Venice Cruise Terminal, near Tronchetto. My understanding is that Brilliance occasionally docks at St Marks, but I think this is much more the exception than the rule (which is too bad because it's soooooo convenient).

From there, the closest vaporetto station is Piazzale Roma. You can walk there, but don't expect RCI to tell you that or provide directions; they want you to spend $13 on their RT shuttle to St. Marks.

The walk from the ship to Piazzale Roma is about 15 - 20 minutes. It's relatively easy for an able-bodied person, but there are no signs to guide you, so keep your eyes open and just follow others (especially any crew you happen to see). Basically, you walk out through the port (past security), and up a small hill to the main road / causeway. Turn right, come down the hill, and cross the street. There you will find the ACTV bus station (you'll see lots of buses and traffic). Behind the station is the Piazzale Roma, and you can purchase the vaporetto tourist ticket here. This is a busier station, and I think the ticket window is generally open.

You will find other vaporetto ticket kiosks throughout Venice, but they are not always manned, and I'm not sure you can purchase the tourist ticket at all of them. However, I am not an expert on this, so it might be good to do some some additional research or get some other opinions.

This was my first time to Venice, and I was blown away by it. It's a wonderful city, and I was so happy we overnighted there. Maximize every minute of your time there.

I'm afraid I can't help with the priority boarding question. I arrived around 1130 or so, and the place was empty. It took 5 minutes to get my SeaPass and I walked right on the ship. I found the entire BCN cruise terminal experience to be highly efficient and very helpful. Even if they offer priority boarding, I'm not sure you'll need it.

I did self-debarkation and taxied to the airport, so again, I can't help with the transfer question. However, if I had a 1030am flight, I would definitely go with a taxi; the independence and flexibility would be more important to me.

As for C&A stuff, one of the cruises was a member cruise, and we were overloaded with stuff. Between that and D+ amenities, I'm not sure just what trinket was the C&A goodie - sorry! :(

Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Thank you Patrick for the thourough and interesting review. I have travelled a lot in Europe and was hesitant to take my husband on a Med. cruise but you have me convinced! Unfortunately, it will have to be ONLY a twelve day for us;)

Also, I love the format for your photo webpage- very nicely laid out.

Cheers,

Thank you Patrick for the thourough and interesting review. I have travelled a lot in Europe and was hesitant to take my husband on a Med. cruise but you have me convinced! Unfortunately, it will have to be ONLY a twelve day for us;)

Also, I love the format for your photo webpage- very nicely laid out.

Cheers,

Thank you for your nice comments. You can't go wrong with a Med cruise! :)

Archived