Recent Cruise Ship Jumping Tragedies (MERGED)

Well RCI and Carnival each had a jumper in the same week recently and now Carnival has another one. When are folks going to learn? This is getting a bit ridiculous.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4936066.html

I just read a long article about this young man this morning in the Atlanta Journal. The crime committed against him was absolutely horrible. It sounds as if he has tried to overcome this for many years but the fact that everyone knew what had happened to him was just too much for him to handle.

What a horrible, sad situation. Wish he had gotten professional help that would have allowed him to cope with this situation better. Apparently he had refused help.

My prayers go out to his family.

I too feel so sad for the family of the young man who endured such pain and misery that he felt he could live no longer. It is such a tragedy.

On the other hand, the jumper who was so drunk and got into a lifeboat, should be made to pay the $21k to the coast guard and in addition get fined and put in jail. He doesn't deserve any sympathy, only disdain. If he did get fined and jail time, perhaps some of the other jerks would think about it before getting so drunk.

I also believe if he took an ax to the ropes for the lifeboat the cruiseline should fine him. I'm sure he will be banned by the cruiseline for life.

He should've been left to fend on his own.
The Md. man who jumped from the Carnival Liberty (who tried to cut the ropes on a lifeboat) was a science teacher at the school where my daughter went in the 1990's in Rockville,Md. where we used to live.

What's so sad to me about the younger man is that part of what might have led to his jumping is feeling that he's "the kid"; I read a quote of his saying that it was beyod his city, beyond his state, beyond America....that everyone knew of him.

But I didn't. My husband didn't. I think it happened in '04, and that year I was pregnant and hormonal and NOT watching the news, then I was dealing with an infant, still hormonal, and NOT watching the news...2005 I just wasn't watching the news....we had NO knowledge of the incident.

So if he'd moved up to Tacoma, WA next door to us, he'd just have been another young man to us. :(

But...when people have been through alot, they often will only live, or choose to live, for a certain time. DH's Korean grandfather was in a Japanese "camp" during their occupation of his country, and suffered greatly over a year because he had kept a few Korean language books for some friends (not allowed during that time). When he was released, he vowed to get that year back...he lived exactly one year happily, then grew sick and quickly died.

Being 18 that's probably harder to will yourself to do, though... :(

I believe it happened April of 06

Well, I still had never heard of him or what happened to him (and have no hormonal excuses, LOL). If only he could have realized that he wasn't as well known as he thought he was, so he couldn't have been as tormented mentally by that. Could have swung the pendulum of desperation a bit.

Hopefully not, but If things continue it's only a matter of time till the screens

and wire mesh goes up.

john

I sure hope not. That would detract so much from the beautiful balcony feel. Maybe something more in the line of more sensitive cameras to detect such movement. Not that this would stop the effort or action but at least the awareness would be more immediate. I can't imagine these are not some things being talked about among the industries.

Archived