Live from Millie 6/30-7/12- Damage

berryhappy24

In the last update from Celebrity it was mentioned that the problem with the electrical system is what caused the Props to hit the rocks and damage them. Although there are several here that a quick to want to blam the Captain or the crew remember if they were leaving the post in France or even if they were coming into port it was more then likely the "pilot" that was in charge of the ship not the Captain.

hi,

we are flying from Boston to Venice on the 12th with 14 people to sail on the Millie. We've been reading this thread all week and calling Celebrity daily. I guess if she sails after midnight, things will at least look better in the short term.

I have no idea what the next leg of the current cruise will be like. I'm sure we will hear all about it. I think if we get out of Venice on time, we will all have a BIG drink!!

I'll be having the drink with you teach 29. Guess who?

We suggest Deck 10 after at 6 PM as a meeting point. Count 2 more for welcome drink for a great cruise trip.

We wish a save journey for all and toy toy toy as we say in German.

:):):)

My dear wife and I are veteran cruisers/retired teachers who are flying out of Phila. on the evening of the 11th for the 7/12 cruise and if we meet in the bar we'll raise our glasses high in both relief and joy!!! The last week of turmoil has been a rollercoaster ride for the folks on the upcoming cruise. Thank goodness for these boards because we can at least get accurate updates on the progress of repairs and the current position of the ship from those onboard. There for awhile, I really thought that this upcoming cruise was going to be a cancellation but "hope springs eternal" and now we're getting ready to pack the bags! We feel badly for those aboard who have missed some of the highlight ports but compensation certainly seems fair and there is always another cruise to plan for (we're already booked for another Med. cruise next summer!). Here's a toast to smooth sailin' on the 7/12 cruise out of Venice...prosit!

In the last update from Celebrity it was mentioned that the problem with the electrical system is what caused the Props to hit the rocks and damage them. Although there are several here that a quick to want to blam the Captain or the crew remember if they were leaving the post in France or even if they were coming into port it was more then likely the "pilot" that was in charge of the ship not the Captain.

The accident supposedly happened around 5pm and the ship was scheduled to anchor in Villefranche from 7am-8pm. That was also the same schedule that we kept at Villefranche on the sailing before this.

packing, reading, freaking, packing, reading, freaking...the cycle continues! We are leaving monday the 9th for venice..i just want the ship to leave Rome and MOVE so we can see how she does...then i can breathe! drink, eat, sleep, drink, eat sleep is the cycle I am hoping for!!!

Just a philosphical note: to travel implies finding new adventures and exploring the unknown. If all were predictable we could stay home, read books and watch movies. Flexibility is the best quality a traveler can possess. Having said that, I completely empathize with those who are disappointed about missing ports you've dreamed about. Hopefully there will be other trips for you. Safe travels to all.

P.S. We'll be on Millie 11/4!

Just a philosphical note: to travel implies finding new adventures and exploring the unknown. If all were predictable we could stay home, read books and watch movies. Flexibility is the best quality a traveler can possess. Having said that, I completely empathize with those who are disappointed about missing ports you've dreamed about. Hopefully there will be other trips for you. Safe travels to all.

P.S. We'll be on Millie 11/4!

Sealover, I would like to give kudos to you and your post:)

It (in my opinion of course) was one of the most sincere, honest

and heartfelt replies I have ever read..this topic or any.

Thank you.

I am anxious not only to hear that the ship left Rome, but how the final part of the repairs are going to go (in Venice I believe). At last word the project isn't finished.....

Here's wishing the project wraps up without a hitch in Venice, and future sailings are truly not affected.

The good news is that, although the Millennium was built by Chantiers de l'Atlantique in Saint-Nazaire, France, Venice is the location of Fincantieri shipbuilders which company has built most of Carnival Corp.'s newbuilds and is probably the best company in the world (apart from, perhaps, Chantiers de l'Atlantique )to address Millie's problems. In particular they will have the requisite materials and Chantiers de l'Atlantique will have its engineers on site

In other words, the circumstances suggest that, if the problems can be fixed, the ship could not be in a better location to get them fixed properly and quickly.

Best wishes for a happy outcome for all now on board and for all who are about to embark on a fantastic voyage.

Well, I suppose it is ok for Carnival's shipbuilders to touch our Millennium as long as it is confined to the outside of the ship and below the waterline......:D

Well, I suppose it is ok for Carnival's shipbuilders to touch our Millennium as long as it is confined to the outside of the ship and below the waterline......:D

As far as I am concerned, Carnival shipbuilders can touch whatever the hell they like as long as the Millennium leaves Venice on 12th July 2007 as scheduled.

I wanted to wish everyone now packing to head to Venice a safe and enjoyable trip. Know that all of us back here on the boards are hoping you have the fantastic cruise you've been so looking forward to.

By the way, anyone in Venice for a couple of days early, please dine at Ai Leoncini just off St. Mark's Square for me. It's still remains one of my favorite restaurants! I hope the food is still as good as we had six years ago!

Bon Voyage!

why would they refund the air?
Because they should follow the precedent set by Cunard when the QM2 suffered a damaged prop and had cancelled/missed ports.

http://cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1497

These guests now have two options: Receive a refund of full cruise fare including air, or take 50 percent of their refund in cash, plus another 75 percent as a future cruise credit for another Queen Mary 2 departure between now and the end of December 2007.

I'm sure insurance will be involved once the cause is determined - regardless bottom line is still impacted - and internally, cruise lines determine numbers by ship.

Generally capacity is quoted in "Double Occupancy" terms - which does not include the availability to place 3rd and 4th passengers in staterooms. Maybe someone can confirm how Celebrity determines "capacity" in the stats of their ships.

To all of those leaving - Bon Voyage and Safe Travels....

This is from the RCCL Investor FAQ Page:

How can a ship's occupancy exceed 100%

Occupancy can exceed 100% because cruise industry practice measures capacity based on double occupancy per cabin, even though some cabins can accommodate 3 or 4 passengers. A percentage in excess of 100% reflects the effect of cabins occupied by more than 2 passengers. Occupancy during the last five years has averaged 102.4%.

Just a philosphical note: to travel implies finding new adventures and exploring the unknown. If all were predictable we could stay home, read books and watch movies. Flexibility is the best quality a traveler can possess.

Very Nice - Thanks for sharing this.:)

Remember, the Millennium actually LEAVES Venice on Friday July 13th, so they have from the 11th when it docks at noon till the 13th at 3 when she leaves...more than 48 hrs if they get there in time to fix that last prop...i won't mention friday the 13th in the same sentence again!:rolleyes:

No, nothing yet so far, but i sure would like to know! I was thinking if they were leaving at midnight it would be a big party...to finally be moving! And someone would run to the (free) internet cafe and tell us (6pm nj time) but i guess everyone is too tired, or ......?

i guess we should give them a break as it is 5 am on the ship and I know I WILL BE SLEEPING! ;) i just finished packing up the toiletry bag (s)...damn that listerine is heavy! I am struggling already and I haven't even put one thing in a suitcase yet...this is soooo hard!

Archived