Parents, watch your children closely!

Mask

This incident was witnessed by my mother-in-law and she said it was a case of a child running wild with no care being given to what he was doing. I don't understand parents not watching their kids at all times, especially in unfamiliar places, and around water.

Here's the article from today's paper:

A scary plunge, a good result

U.S. boy OK after falling into Halifax Harbour’s murky water

By STEVE BRUCE Staff Reporter | 5:48 AM

A trip to the Halifax waterfront Tuesday turned into a nightmare for a seven-year-old boy from Boston after he toppled backwards off a wharf into the harbour.

The boy’s mother jumped into the murky water after him. They were pulled out within 30 seconds by two provincial government employees who had been working on a nearby wharf.

The boy suffered only minor cuts and bruises but was badly shaken by his unexpected dip in the harbour, the government workers said. He was taken away in an ambulance to be examined at hospital.

The boy’s family was visiting the city on the cruise ship Carnival Victory.

The mishap occurred just before noon near the visitor information centre and the Wave sculpture, at the foot of Sackville Street.

The water the boy fell into is only about a metre deep, with huge pieces of stone, and gives off a foul odour. Water temperature Tuesday was about 13 C.

Bruce Langille and Stephen Eisan, employees with the provincial Transportation and Public Works Department, were on an adjacent wharf inspecting damage done by a crane when they saw the boy take his tumble.

"We saw the young boy backing up and he fell over the curb into the harbour," Mr. Eisan said.

The men sprinted around to the other side of the visitor centre and pulled the mother and son from the rocks in the water.

The boy was taken inside the visitor centre until paramedics arrived.

"He was scared," Mr. Eisan said of the boy. "Falling over backwards was a surprise."

Mr. Langille said the mother appreciated everything that was done for her son.

"She thanked everyone for what they did and she asked the paramedics to take her son for observation at the hospital," he said.

Kyle Partridge, a 14-year-old Dartmouth boy, said he caught a glimpse of the youngster falling into the water.

"It’s not very clean," Kyle said of the harbour water. "If he has a cut, he’ll probably get an infection or something.

"I accidentally fell in once. . . . I got sick after."

The family was expected to be back on board the Victory when it left port at 6:45 p.m.

( sbruce@herald.ca)

’(The harbour water) is not very clean. If he has a cut, he’ll probably get an infection or something.’

KYLE PARTRIDGEWitness to mishap

There was mention of this in a thread yesterday, but I didn't reply then.

Although I'm very glad that the boy (and mother) are safe.....I don't know why this would make big news.:confused: I've been around water and piers my entire life. People fall in, are pushed in clowning around, whatever.

Quite a common occurrence. So - why the news coverage?

Having the kid WITH the parents doesn't help all the time.

DW and I were horrified on our frist cruise out of NY, where we saw a mother but her infant up on THE RAIL OF THE SHIP (still holding it, but not the point). She should have been toosed off the ship herself.

DW and I were horrified on our frist cruise out of NY, where we saw a mother but her infant up on THE RAIL OF THE SHIP (still holding it, but not the point). She should have been toosed off the ship herself.

Proof once again that just because a person "can" have children...it does not mean they "should"!!

Pete.....all I can say is...... :eek::rolleyes::mad:

A friend from work told of the same story. Wonder if it's the same person? But my friend said something to the person who was holding the infant and was yelled at. Makes you wonder, what this world is coming to?

Proof once again that just because a person "can" have children...it does not mean they "should"!!

I agree. Very frustrating for us who can't have children and have to adopt. It is so much fun going through all the hoops and spending tens of thousands of dollars, and then see how some people treat their kids or let their kids do whatever. I assure some people would think twice about having a kids if they had to do the 100's of pages of paperwork that it takes to adopt a child.

We were on the aft Lido deck of the Fantasy several years ago, and there was this British family with several kids .... their four year old ran full tilt towards the railing and launched himself at it like he wanted to hang over the railing ... some stranger just, by Providence alone, happened to be within arm's reach and grabbed the kid by the seat of the pants as he was flying over the rail ... we're all sure he would have fallen overboard if that guy hadn't caught him ... don't know if he'd have survived the fall onlly to be pulled into the props or not ... sure scared the bejeebies out of all of us. The parents, however, didn't seem too alarmed .... sheeeesh!!!!!

Are you sure it wasn't Michael Jackson with his baby?????

....The boy’s family was visiting the city on the cruise ship Carnival Victory...

I can see it now. More fodder for the "Victory sucks" crowd. Lemme guess, it was Carnival's fault for docking there and it ruined their cruise. Therefore they will never sail Carnival again.....:rolleyes:

FTLOG!

The Nerve of some people, in this Picture, the one guy is Looking but isn't going to rescue the kids, the one lady with the Bag says Im not getting involved, Im out of here. The 2 sitting are saying HA, Let the sucker drown :D

wavebg.jpg

When we were on the Fantasy last September there was a child (about 3) he was actually climbing the windows on the outside of the top deck (sun deck where mini golf is). This was during 35 foot swells and gale force winds. Security came and told the parents to watch him but as soon as security left he was right back at it. Parents just looked the other way. People were saying stuff to them but they did not seem to care. I have already told my teens - they do anything stupid while on our cruise I will throttle them!

Archived