Question About the Fit of Sandals

"Dinosaur"?? I am 51. Hell last year I dated a very hot 31 year old for a short while...believe me numbers don't mean a thing!! :D

ohh laaa laaaa:D does he have any brothers?;)

Lois, I don't think I've ever "read" you so frisky :D

I wasn't aware that women didn't know about width, arch and real size of their feet :confused: I can look at a shoe and know immediately if it won't work for me because of the cut of the shoe. Not only are my feet wide, I have a very high arch and I need arch support, if not, my feet will ache after wearing a shoe a very short time. Flat shoes are probably the most uncomfortable for this reason, although if it is a closed shoe you can use purchased orthotics.

It depends on other factors as well, just as in clothing, manufacturers can cut sizes differently. In my closet I have shoes ranging from a 9 1/2 B, all the way to 11 D. This is the reason I hesitate to buy shoes online any more. Unless I know the specific manufacturer well and the return policy is good, forget it.

BTW, my boss is a crazy lady, we have too much fun...but we work very hard :)

Hi Kathy, good morning:)

Frisky? You mean the dinasour topic?:eek: well, it sort of sounded

like late 40s is old? IF I am old, my Dad (who will be 86 later this month)

must be totally washed up~

I just thought 40 is the new 20:D...or 50 is the new 30:D

Or ...... or......LOL

Actually I am probably happier now than when I was younger!

Oh this is about shoes......I am a 6-1/2 in 90% of everything!

Some things I wear a 7 and even other things I have worn a 6!

When Mom was alive I always thought she had teeney feet....she worn a

5 or 5-1/2!

Hi Kathy, good morning

Frisky? You mean the dinasour topic?:eek: well, it sort of sounded

like late 40s is old? IF I am old, my Dad (who will be 86 later this month)

must be totally washed up~

I just thought 40 is the new 20...or 50 is the new 30

Or ...... or......LOL

Actually I am probably happier now than when I was younger!

Oh this is about shoes......I am a 6-1/2 in 90% of everything!

Some things I wear a 7 and even other things I have worn a 6!

When Mom was alive I always thought she had teeney feet....she worn a

5 or 5-1/2!

Hi, Lois :)

If late 40's is dinosaur, then I suppose I'm extinct at 50 +??

I agree with you, I feel better about myself now than when I was younger, I didn't start to relax until I was about 40 and stopped caring about what other people thought about me. Then, I realized what they thought about me was.....nothing, people are too interested in themsleves to worry about others. Life is great when you can focus on the fun part :D . Now, I enjoy the feeling of the hot tub, rather than worry about what someone else thinks about my belly or thighs while I'm in a bathing suit. Or, my big feet!

I've seen it being done in a shoe department and I wonder why the salespeople don't bring out a larger, wider shoe for them to try on.

DH worked as a shoe salesperson for a few months, and trust me...you do NOT want to bring out a shoe that's bigger or wider than a person thinks they should have.....:eek:

Actually, DH would, and he would lose many, many sales because of it. His more successful co-workers would bring out the size they were asked for...that situation is probably what shoehorns were created for. Al Bundy from Married with Children had shoe selling situations that weren't too off the mark, according to DH! Oh, and one of his co-workers would put bigger sizes in smaller size boxes....that worked for him (though I've often wondered what happens when the person looks at the size marked on the shoe...).

I always knew I had wider feet, but it all came home to me as a sophomore in college when I bought my first pair of cross trainers, Nikes, from a salesperson who said that they "ran wider" than normal Nikes.

HA HA HA.

If ya got wide feet, just forget the Nikes. I had such blisters developing while on a long run that I started running on the sides of my feet, and by halfway through my run I had pulled one peroneus longus muscle and had to slowly limp home. Thankfully I was on a varsity sport and it was the off-season, and I got free PT. Once I had healed up, I went out for another run in the SAME shoes, and pulled the other one. :o

Those new $80-in-1988 shoes went in the garbage after that. :(

I remember going to a huge shoe store in VA back in the mid-90s and seeing almost every single woman there wearing sandals that were half an inch or more too short for their feet. And they really seemed oblivious to it. I don't understand it...

On the other hand, I FINALLY threw away my "shoes of death", which were an adorable pair of Chinese Laundry slides that had a nice big boxy toe and wide-enough footbed, BUT had NO traction on the bottom, and I fell in them at least 3 times, TWICE while pregnant. :eek: DS is 3 and I just recently tossed them. They were sooooo cuuuuuute....

so I suppose I understand uncomfortable shoes and hanging onto them, but...I always felt (and probably looked) uncomfortable in them (especially while falling).

and on the OTHER other hand...my current pair of athletic shoes are TOO wide and TOO big! I went to a specialty store and had my feet measured 800 ways, and he put me in an extra wide (don't know how many Ds) and an 8.5, I think, and a Saucony instead of my usual New Balance. and YUCK! My feet slide in them, and my feet ache like they didn't before (I'll admit the last New Balances were probably half a size too small, though I am not sure how that happened), like they are being hit by heavy objects... I think the salesguy messed up, and I think I generally do a better job at fitting myself than he did, so when I can replace them, I think I'll go half size smaller (but keep that extra width...or vice versa)...it's all so confusing, even when you measure (at least with my feet!). :)

...my current pair of athletic shoes are TOO wide and TOO big! I went to a specialty store and had my feet measured 800 ways, and he put me in an extra wide (don't know how many Ds) and an 8.5, I think, and a Saucony instead of my usual New Balance. and YUCK! My feet slide in them, and my feet ache like they didn't before (I'll admit the last New Balances were probably half a size too small, though I am not sure how that happened), like they are being hit by heavy objects... I think the salesguy messed up, and I think I generally do a better job at fitting myself than he did, so when I can replace them, I think I'll go half size smaller (but keep that extra width...or vice versa)...it's all so confusing, even when you measure (at least with my feet!). :)

Interesting that you find your shoes too large for running. As long as mine stay on my foot, I never worry about "too big". Too small can be a problem of course, but I prefer mine nice and roomy!! Funny too, I never even considered this until the local running guru store (considered THE main experts here locally) told me I was much better off in a shoe that had plenty of toe room and not to worry about it being "too big". I normally wear a 8.5 in a street shoe...but my Saucony's (Trigon Grids - I swear by them) are 9.5, and they are wonderfull!! I don't pronate but my knees are aging :o , so my shoes need to be cushiony and comfortable!

I prefer sandals with back straps, because slides are hard for me to wear while driving. They slip when I move my foot from the gas to the brake. Does anyone else have this problem?

Since I stand and walk for most of the day, I need the thick soled sandals with backstraps. These are becoming harder to find.

Barb

I prefer sandals with back straps, because slides are hard for me to wear while driving. They slip when I move my foot from the gas to the brake. Does anyone else have this problem?

Since I stand and walk for most of the day, I need the thick soled sandals with backstraps. These are becoming harder to find.

Barb

Meeee too! I won't buy a sandal if it doesn't have a strap across the back of the heel. There is no way I'm going to wrestle those things to stay on my feet all day, lol. The only shoe I'll wear without a back is flip flops.

Guess I am lucky:) I have quite a few sandals without backstraps

that stay on and are comfy as well.

One brand is called "Spring Step". I found them a long time ago

and luckly Bealls sells them:D. The footbed itself is VERY CUSHIONY!

They are open back but always stay on my feet! They are cute too:)

Living in Florida that is the one thing (even though I am not a

shoe-aholic) I don't mind having many pairs of...sandals!

as a former shoe sales person, I will say that very few adults ever get their foot measured properly and don't realize that your foot size does change over the years.

toe overhang on sandles gets me to cringing... In the summer I wonder, "don't their toes get burned on the pavement??" Overhang at either end is just a sign of ill-fitting shoes.

A lot of people don't realize that their feet continue to grow throughout their lives and still think they wear the same size shoe they did ten, fifteen, twenty years ago.

I'm a part time wardrobe consultant and one of the first things I do with my clients (after I 'clean' their closet) is to take them and get them professionally sized in the afternoon.

All of my clients to date have been at least one half size larger than they thought they were.

In other words, people are buying their shoes too small.

Also, shoes never need be broken in. That is a huge myth with shoes. If they aren't comfortable and don't fit when you buy them, they'll never be.

Good point on the continued growing of the feet. I grew a whole shoe size between the ages of 35 and 40.

I also don't think that people realize that, just like clothing, shoe sizes can vary depending on the maker. I have shoes that are 9's, 9-1/2's, and 10's. And I wear clothing sizes 8-12...it just depends on the manufacturer.

Archived