Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I have not been on in a few weeks. I'm happy to hear about Sunshine's husband. What a great gift!

We are thinking of a cruise next summer and I know there are some Caribbean countires that are more difficult to get into than others. I saw on an earlier comment that Jamaica and Barbados are no's. Is there a list or website than someone can point me to to help decide where to travel to? Or would a simple google search and research be the best thing to do?

I would love to go up the east coast into Canada but I don't think there are a lot of those cruises in the summer. At least not from what I've seen anyway.

I have not been on in a few weeks. I'm happy to hear about Sunshine's husband. What a great gift!

We are thinking of a cruise next summer and I know there are some Caribbean countires that are more difficult to get into than others. I saw on an earlier comment that Jamaica and Barbados are no's. Is there a list or website than someone can point me to to help decide where to travel to? Or would a simple google search and research be the best thing to do?

I would love to go up the east coast into Canada but I don't think there are a lot of those cruises in the summer. At least not from what I've seen anyway.

There's at least 2-3 ships in every week here... Prime New England/Canada cruise months are September/October once the colours start changing.

Here's the current schedule for Halifax:

http://www.cruisehalifax.ca/our-visitors/index.html

I would love to do Disney again. There will be 5 kids between 1 and 13 years old on the trip. It's a little tougher to convince my in-laws though. I think Holland America might not be great for the kids and Carnival...well I don't know if that would go over well. We did a honeymoon Carnival cruise a long time ago and it was fine. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitetly mention this! We need to do summer because of kids in school. Will have to keep an eye out for the 2013 schedules.

The Caribbean Princess goes up to Halifax and through New England, leaving out of Brooklyn, in October.

Although some of the ports visited during any given cruise may NOT be dog friendly [even to Service Dogs], these ports can be skipped, you stay onboard or find someone to watch your dog and you visit the port without him/her.

I suggest you go to the website of the cruiseline you prefer and go through their cruises during the months that you prefer cruising. Or find a travel agent [i prefer a large company that I've been dealing with for years], I go to their website and find either the ship I want to go on or a place I've been wanting to go to and work from there.

I wanted to do the Pacific Northwest and I love the Sapphire Princess, so I'll be going again to this venue in October [except they've added an overnight in San Francisco and a stop in Catalina], it's become a port intensive cruise and that's fine with me. When the folks get off the ship and I decide to stay onboard, I'll have the ship all to myself......love it! :)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

So we could go to a country but not get off? My FIL deals with a travel agent but I thought if I could do some legwork it would help. I have saved contact info for the help desks for two cruise lines you suggested months ago. I would imagine we'd try to do either Royal Caribbean or Princess. We need to go in either June or July because of school and my SIL is a teacher.

I need to renew my kids' passports. I was dreaming about a trip last night that we were going on in July and I forgot to renew them in June.

So we could go to a country but not get off? My FIL deals with a travel agent but I thought if I could do some legwork it would help. I have saved contact info for the help desks for two cruise lines you suggested months ago. I would imagine we'd try to do either Royal Caribbean or Princess. We need to go in either June or July because of school and my SIL is a teacher.

I need to renew my kids' passports. I was dreaming about a trip last night that we were going on in July and I forgot to renew them in June.

As long as the ship you're boarding is leaving from a U.S. Port they don't deny you boarding with a Service/Working Dog. However, once you're onboard and go into international waters; your at the mercy of the country your visiting, at their descretion they can restrict you from entering with your Service Dog.

Staying onboard while the other passengers go ashore is not such a bad thing. We've done it plenty of times and not just because the port did not allow our dog. I love the emptiness and freedom of the ship without the masses around.

Hawaii is a U.S. Port that makes it very difficult to enter with a dog [service or pet.] Never having a reported case of Rabies makes entering pretty tough, especially if you're bringing in a pet. Service dogs do not have to be quarantined as pets do. We've done it but I'm not a big advocate on the rabies titer that must be performed on your dog......although, it's just a blood draw...I hate to put my dog through it just so I can vacation. There's lots of choices for vacations that make me and my dog feel very welcome and for me it's cruising onboard Princess, HAL, Carnival or Celebrity for now.

There's lots of cruises that go to Canada/New England. I do not think it's to hard to bring the dog there. Canada has alot of service dogs from what I hear. Check out pettravel.com it has all the requirements for most countries.

Hope everyone is well. I have been sick for 2 weeks with the most wicked cough there is. I have a doctors appt tomorrow. I thought it was bronchitis, but am now reading about whooping cough and it seems I have more of those symptoms! :eek: Usually when I get bronchitis, my chest kills me, but it doesn't really hurt this time. So now I'm not sure. I'll keep you posted.

We are on our last week of dog sitting. We have a yellow lab til Thurs or Friday and then we are done! As much as I love these dogs, they are exhausting and being sick certainly hasn't helped things. John only has a month left for vacation so we are going to take it easy. We were thinking of sending Wexler out to California to visit his aunt for a week or so. ;)

Hope everyone is well. I have been sick for 2 weeks with the most wicked cough there is. I have a doctors appt tomorrow. I thought it was bronchitis, but am now reading about whooping cough and it seems I have more of those symptoms! :eek: Usually when I get bronchitis, my chest kills me, but it doesn't really hurt this time. So now I'm not sure. I'll keep you posted.

We are on our last week of dog sitting. We have a yellow lab til Thurs or Friday and then we are done! As much as I love these dogs, they are exhausting and being sick certainly hasn't helped things. John only has a month left for vacation so we are going to take it easy. We were thinking of sending Wexler out to California to visit his aunt for a week or so. ;)

Cindy, I hope you're feeling better soon. It's so tiring when you're coughing all the time. Let us know what the doctor says.

You go right ahead and send that big boy out here......I make no promises on sending him back though! You'll be sorry for threatening me missy!!!!! :mad:

Feel good!

Love you,

Roz

We went though Vancouver last summer and that process was easy enough. We also had no problems going through the Bahamas a few years back. I guess I'm just nervous because of the problems we had in Mexico.

I have heard that Hawaii is difficult. As much as I'd like to revisit my birthplace, I doubt that that is a possiblity for this trip.

We went though Vancouver last summer and that process was easy enough. We also had no problems going through the Bahamas a few years back. I guess I'm just nervous because of the problems we had in Mexico.

I have heard that Hawaii is difficult. As much as I'd like to revisit my birthplace, I doubt that that is a possiblity for this trip.

Mexico can be very curious in how it's a "hit" or a "miss" in the way that they can treat you with your Service Dog.

Sometimes they're so thorough and invasive and other times they don't even bother to inquire at all about my dog. On one of our voyages they insisted on examining Brenda's paws, teeth and her potty bags on another trip they waved us through without stopping.

I think it depends on the Border Agent as to whether you're overly inspected or not.

That said, I would NEVER question them or refuse their exams or questions.....they can be very difficult. 911 only made travel for all of us more of a nightmare [as you all know!]

Keep ALL your dogs paperwork handy. Make several copies and keep a copy in your carryon and in your luggage. Example:

• The City License
  • Vet Report [showing last exam & rabies cert.]
  • Intl. Cert. for Travel
  • Dog Org. Training Info. I.D. [if you have one.]
  • Microchip I.D.
  • IAADP Membership Card - Providing the US Dept of Justice ADA Information Line - 800-514-0301

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hey folks,

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. For the last few weeks I've been working out on one of our job sites and haven't been in my office. By the time I get home, I've been too tired to go on the computer. Plus, when I get home, we have Ocho II to train. He is doing great! :D He loves to learn as long as he gets a piece of his kibble. :eek: He is a very laid back pup. He will play for an hour then sleep for three. It's gonna be tough seeing him go. :(

Hey folks,

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. For the last few weeks I've been working out on one of our job sites and haven't been in my office. By the time I get home, I've been too tired to go on the computer. Plus, when I get home, we have Ocho II to train. He is doing great! :D He loves to learn as long as he gets a piece of his kibble. :eek: He is a very laid back pup. He will play for an hour then sleep for three. It's gonna be tough seeing him go. :(

Hi Kiddo, good to see you. Awwwww! I'm so glad to hear that Ocho is doing well.....and, as far as that "letting go" thing......I could NEVER do it.

I'd be on that "Hoarding" show with 125 dogs everywhere and I'd lie to CCI and tell them that the dog whines/bites and barks and would never be able to work with anyone so they'd offer it to me over and over again.

Hello, I'm new here.

I'm partnered with a black Lab mobility dog named Leon. We have been together for one year. He is my second service dog.

A friend of mine booked a cruise with Celebration Cruise Line. I know there have been mixed reviews. I talked to my friend about it and, since she's paid so much money into it, she wants to give it a go anyway.

Included in our cruise package are 2 days/nights in Orlando at Disney World and 2 days/nights in Ft. Lauderdale.

The agent we spoke to on the phone said that a small box would be provided for my dog to toilet in. Did not say what type of material would be in it when we asked. How do you teach your dog to go in a box? Leon will relieve on various surfaces --mulch, grass, gravel, sand. Just not sure how to go about preparing for being on the ship.

Also, the agent said that, at the port in the Bahamas (by the resort), Leon would be allowed off the ship. I want to make sure I am prepared, though. I am not sure that there isn't some sort of preparation/documentation that is needed (like health certificate, rabies certificate, etc.). Does anyone have experience with cruising to the Bahamas?

Thanks, y'all for your help!

Cindy, I hope you're feeling better soon. It's so tiring when you're coughing all the time. Let us know what the doctor says.

You go right ahead and send that big boy out here......I make no promises on sending him back though! You'll be sorry for threatening me missy!!!!! :mad:

Feel good!

Love you,

Roz

Well I have bronchitis. Who gets that in the summer? It has been horrible. I'm on antibiotics, cough meds and some nasal spray. The cough meds seem to work great but something is making me not feel well. could be the codene in the cough med or the antibiotic. But I'm heading in the right direction anyway.

Oh you will be sorry if Wex comes out there, he is very needy. A couple days with mr. pesty and you'll be sending him back fedx overnight. ;)

Hey folks,

Glad things are going good with Ocho. I will never understand how puppy raisers can let the dog go after having them for so long. I could never do it.

Mexico can be very curious in how it's a "hit" or a "miss" in the way that they can treat you with your Service Dog.

Sometimes they're so thorough and invasive and other times they don't even bother to inquire at all about my dog. On one of our voyages they insisted on examining Brenda's paws, teeth and her potty bags on another trip they waved us through without stopping.

I think it depends on the Border Agent as to whether you're overly inspected or not.

That said, I would NEVER question them or refuse their exams or questions.....they can be very difficult. 911 only made travel for all of us more of a nightmare [as you all know!]

Keep ALL your dogs paperwork handy. Make several copies and keep a copy in your carryon and in your luggage. Example:

• The City License
  • Vet Report [showing last exam & rabies cert.]
  • Intl. Cert. for Travel
  • Dog Org. Training Info. I.D. [if you have one.]
  • Microchip I.D.
  • IAADP Membership Card - Providing the US Dept of Justice ADA Information Line - 800-514-0301

Last year when we went to Mexico it was the worst. They made me feel like we did something wrong or we were trying to smuggle our dog in the country. It was alittle ridiculous since we were only getting off to walk around the dock.

Hello, I'm new here.

I'm partnered with a black Lab mobility dog named Leon. We have been together for one year. He is my second service dog.

A friend of mine booked a cruise with Celebration Cruise Line. I know there have been mixed reviews. I talked to my friend about it and, since she's paid so much money into it, she wants to give it a go anyway.

Included in our cruise package are 2 days/nights in Orlando at Disney World and 2 days/nights in Ft. Lauderdale.

The agent we spoke to on the phone said that a small box would be provided for my dog to toilet in. Did not say what type of material would be in it when we asked. How do you teach your dog to go in a box? Leon will relieve on various surfaces --mulch, grass, gravel, sand. Just not sure how to go about preparing for being on the ship.

Also, the agent said that, at the port in the Bahamas (by the resort), Leon would be allowed off the ship. I want to make sure I am prepared, though. I am not sure that there isn't some sort of preparation/documentation that is needed (like health certificate, rabies certificate, etc.). Does anyone have experience with cruising to the Bahamas?

Welcome Sheenar, On all our cruises we were able to request what we wanted in the potty box. Whatever your dog goes best on, I would ask for. In the Bahamas you will need a form. There is no fee if you write "service dog" on the top of the form. I am going to try to post it, hope this works. Let me know.

Cindy

http://www.bahamas.com/sites/default/files/pdf/Bahamas_Application_to_Import_Domestic_Animals_in_TIOTB.pdf

Glad things are going good with Ocho. I will never understand how puppy raisers can let the dog go after having them for so long. I could never do it.

Cindy,

I think seeing and knowing the change it makes in someone's life like

it has in Kim's and John's and other graduates we know will make it

a little easier. We're hoping anyway.

Hello, I'm new here.

Sheenar, welcome! How cute is that name "Leon!" I have no room to talk because CCI gave me "Brenda" and now "Horton!" I just found out that we are allowed to change our dogs names but that within the Org. the name will remain the same and that it only takes a few weeks for the dog to become accustomed to their new name.

You will definitely need the U.S. Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals Cert. This is given to you after the Vet examines Leon. It has information in terms of: Microchip, immunization and health history, also included is the doctor's certification of inspection of your dog as to skin disorders, etc. You should have Leon examined within a week or so prior to cruising.

Not all Vets are USDA Vets, they're the only ones who are authorized to give you this form.

Remember to make 3 copies of everything you have about your dog and be ready to present it to any Immigration officer or official of the cruiseline who asks about your dog. It's also good to have a copy ready for the registraton desk of your cruiseline.

Training to go potty in a small box:

• Remember, keep it positive and be ready with treats. Put a leash on Leon and walk him over to the box. [Make sure there's lots of litter in the box so he can squat without losing his footing.] Let him take his time and sniff out the box. Walk him into the box, using lots of praise and give him a treat when he steps into it and then walk him out. You're showing him that there's nothing to fear, nothing will happen to him [make sure that the box is very stable and doesn't move when he walks in and out!] Walk him several times "in" and "out", praising along the way. After he's very successful in doing this, walk him into the box and ask him to "sit." Praise, and then walk him out again. Now, walk him into the box and give him the command for going to the bathroom. He'll probably want to circle a few times and sniff a few times and when he finally goes.......THROW A PARTY!!!!!!

It's a good idea to try this when you know it's time to pee anyway.

After he's successful you'll want to do this several times before you board the ship, he won't think anything of it when he sees the box onboard the ship and it will make your first cruise so much easier.

Be ready for all the questions that people will ask you and give yourself lots of time to go wherever you're going because you will be stopped by folks who are missing their furbabies and just want to touch a "Service Dog!" Afterall, they are miracle workers, and who doesn't want to be part of a miracle.

Officials at the various docks that you will be stopping at may ask you questions about Leon or may want to examine him, stay confident and calm, some of them may be very "green" at what they're doing and you'll need to use your assertive self to just move on.

Have a wonderful cruise and please come back and tell us all about it.

Well I have bronchitis. Who gets that in the summer? It has been horrible. I'm on antibiotics, cough meds and some nasal spray. The cough meds seem to work great but something is making me not feel well. could be the codene in the cough med or the antibiotic. But I'm heading in the right direction anyway.

Oh you will be sorry if Wex comes out there, he is very needy. A couple days with mr. pesty and you'll be sending him back fedx overnight. ;)

Oh! No! You got so sick. I'm sorry and I hope you'll be well soon.

Wex and Horton can destroy my house while Miss Brenny sits high on her perch and watches. I swear she watches Horty do some of his antics and just shakes her head in amazement. He's "Destruction Derby" wrapped-up in a dog!!!!!

This is the latest from Karen "Sunshine" on her husbands double lung transplant. We are all praying that Rich continues on the road to healing and going home to his family.

"We continue to see progress, just very slow. I try to be upbeat in my posts, but, please understand he is still in critical care of a reason. He is weaning from the vent. We were all so happy to have him off for about 5 hours today. We are trying to learn to read lips and I am sure he is frustrated trying to communicate with us. Hopefully his hands will be stronger so he can write. Once he has a valve on his trach he will be able to speak. It is nice to have both girls home."

Karen "Sunshine"--prayers going to you and your family for a continued recovery for Rich and strength to the rest of you.

Cindy----hope that you are feeling better. Bronchitis :eek:

Hello to all.

I was sick last week, with diverticulitis, something that hasn't bothered me in 3 years. Hope this is not the begining of more surgery.:mad: :confused:

Looking forward to the cruise in Dec. and I will have my emergency meds with me----just in cast the diverticuli act up.

Training a puppy and then having to let it go to someone else:( I couldn't do it, even tho it to help someone else. That is one job, that I couldn't do. Or work in an animal shelter.

Hope every one is having a good week.

Edited by trudle
left out word

Karen "Sunshine"--prayers going to you and your family for a continued recovery for Rich and strength to the rest of you.

Cindy----hope that you are feeling better. Bronchitis :eek:

Hello to all.

I was sick last week, with diverticulitis, something that hasn't bothered me in 3 years. Hope this is not the begining of more surgery.:mad: :confused:

Looking forward to the cruise in Dec. and I will have my emergency meds with me----just in cast the diverticuli act up.

Training a puppy and then having to let it go to someone else:( I couldn't do it, even tho it to help someone else. That is one job, that I couldn't do. Or work in an animal shelter.

Hope every one is having a good week.

Trudle, sorry to hear about your diverticuli problems. I had surgery for this years ago....dissection and resection....what a trip that was! I hope that your meds & of course special diet help to keep you well for your cruise.

Life NEVER looks good when our bodies play tricks on us. Be thankful everyday for good health.

Love this: I just took Horton out to potty and there was a Seeing-Eye-Dog in the lobby, guiding his person out the front door. Horton just wafted his nose in the air, with his ears perked-up and tail wagging, he wanted so badly to go over and introduce himself but he used great restraint. I didn't even have to use a "correction", amazing!!

When Brenda was much younger and she would see a strange dog, she would go beserk......she'd be pulling on the leash and tugging on my arm and it would take all my energy to pull her back from not lunging at the other dog to engage with it.

Horton is a "rock-star" when it comes to behavior as a Service Dog.

When he's off work he's a maniac. He plays so hard that even he gets out of breath. I have to hide my shoes and socks or he'll go get every sock and shoe he can find and put them in his bed. I've repaired more toys that he's ripped apart to get to the "squeaky" inside and if you're a stranger walking by my front door he'll bark so loud it'll scare Obama in the White House!!!!!!

Love this dog!!!!! :p

More recent post from Karen ["Sunshine"], about Rich's progress after having a double lung transplant.

"So, Rich was off the vent 7 hours yesterday! Today they had him off at 6:30 am and he was still off when Terri and I left today. We still have trouble lip reading, but, pretty sure he said he wanted to get up and walk today. Pretty sure he said he watned a shower as well. An I am darn sure we got a super eye roll when he was asked if he knew where he was. My best guy is getting better. Two thumbs up!"