Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Nancy, how's life? Are you doing any traveling this summer......especially, in the cruising world!!! :)

Life has gotten in the way of life. We have done a complete 360 and are now back in our mobile home that we left with great expectations two years ago. We could kick ourselves in the behind, but if we had gone on the journey that we did, we would have still kicked ourselves in the behind! We are moving forward and not looking back. We are doing some remodeling of the mobile and it is looking smashing! A wall removed to open the livingroom and kitchen up. New beautiful laminate flooring in the livingroom, kitchen and laundryroom. New paint and Jezzy Lou has her own yard and can out anytime she wants to without a leash. She is going for a Spa day on Wednesday and can't wait. Trav is going to stay with his Auntie for about 3 weeks, then when I pick him up we are going to Legoland. Papa has his eyes set on a cruise "this year". So we shall see what is available and see where it takes us. Thanks for asking.

Quam: Good to "see" you. So glad they have finally found the correct diagnosis for you. I am also glad you are feeling better, with the hope that it can only get better!

I need to wrap it up here, need to get up and go to work in the am! :o

Life has gotten in the way of life. We have done a complete 360 and are now back in our mobile home that we left with great expectations two years ago. We could kick ourselves in the behind, but if we had gone on the journey that we did, we would have still kicked ourselves in the behind! We are moving forward and not looking back. We are doing some remodeling of the mobile and it is looking smashing! A wall removed to open the livingroom and kitchen up. New beautiful laminate flooring in the livingroom, kitchen and laundryroom. New paint and Jezzy Lou has her own yard and can out anytime she wants to without a leash. She is going for a Spa day on Wednesday and can't wait. Trav is going to stay with his Auntie for about 3 weeks, then when I pick him up we are going to Legoland. Papa has his eyes set on a cruise "this year". So we shall see what is available and see where it takes us. Thanks for asking.

Quam: Good to "see" you. So glad they have finally found the correct diagnosis for you. I am also glad you are feeling better, with the hope that it can only get better!

Good to hear from you sweet lady. I hope you get to take that cruise soon.

Have a wonderful summer and fun at Legoland with Trav.

Nancy, We miss having you around. Hope you get to go on a cruise!! You certainly deserve one.

Thanks, Roz!

That's very interesting about the hypoglycemia-alert dogs. People in diabetic ketoacidotic (DKA) states often have a fruity/acetone odor on their breaths, although not everyone can smell it, and the diabetic person is usually showing other signs by then.

I wonder what exactly the dogs smell in the perspiration? Did a few searches and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know?

I am not sure what she smells, but Lucy can not only tell my lows, but my very highs too. She also alerted for an acquaintance who had her dog in the dog park with Lucy. I didn't even know she was diabetic, but Lucy knew her sugar had dropped! She has only done that one time though.

I was also sad to read about Valentine's passing. It is so difficult when you just lose a pet, but one who has such a close working relationship is doubly devestating!

Happy & Safe 4th Of July

to

All My Wonderful Friends on Cruise Critic

and

"Cruising With A Service Dog"

Love & Licks,

Roz, Morey, Brenda & Horton

Thanks Roz, Same to you! We had a cookout and it was so hot and humid we didn't stay long. Besides Wex does not tolerate the heat at all. We have never had a dog that was this bad in the heat. John sister has a pool with a lift and we go there atleast 3 times a week. I have to wet Wex down every hour to keep him cool. Of course since he hates the water I have to leash him. :rolleyes: But if its really hot, he lets me do it.

Saturday we are puppysitting for the day(6 month old) while friends of ours go get Titan, a service dog we will be dogsitting for. We will have him 2 weeks and then have a few days rest before having Pontiac a release dog that we will have for 8 days. We are tied up until August dogsitting. Should be fun until I go crazy! :eek:

Cindy

Mornin' all:

Hopefully I will be able to get on here for a short time in the mornings, now. It is so wonderful to have a separate room for the computer. Travis is loving having his own room, after a year. Now we can really tell him to go to his room!

Cindy: I sometimes envy you getting to puppysit! I would love to have the little ones around. (for a short period of time.) Jezzy Lou is still medium maintenance compare to high maintenance. But soooooo much better just being able to let her out the door to go outside and not be on a leash. She loves her yard, even though it is all dirt now. Next project, but that will have to wait until fall. 110 degrees is not condusive to doing yard work........

Everyone have a great day. It is a Monday, Thursday for me, but also Friday night eve! :D

Thanks Roz, Same to you! We had a cookout and it was so hot and humid we didn't stay long. Besides Wex does not tolerate the heat at all. We have never had a dog that was this bad in the heat. John sister has a pool with a lift and we go there atleast 3 times a week. I have to wet Wex down every hour to keep him cool. Of course since he hates the water I have to leash him. :rolleyes: But if its really hot, he lets me do it.

Saturday we are puppysitting for the day(6 month old) while friends of ours go get Titan, a service dog we will be dogsitting for. We will have him 2 weeks and then have a few days rest before having Pontiac a release dog that we will have for 8 days. We are tied up until August dogsitting. Should be fun until I go crazy! :eek:

Cindy

Brenda also hates the heat. We keep her in the air conditioning as much as possible. Horton seems to be okay with it but I don't keep him out when it reaches "unbearable" anyway!

Morey's having some severe arthritis problems so he and Brenda stay inside and do low impact exercising and resting together.

You're going to have so much fun with your dog sitting and Wex is going to love having the company [i hope.] That's so great that you do this for others.

I want to thank everybody who has contributed to this forum over the last five years (especially Roz who started it!). I am going to be receiving my service dog in a short 10 weeks - yikes! - and one of the first things I looked up when I first applied to my program a year ago was whether people cruised with their service dogs. My family enjoys cruising, though I've only been on one cruise post-disability - and all the others I have been on were as a child. The one cruise I've been on recently I spent the majority of in the dark cabin with a severe migraine; a comorbid condition of my disability. I can't wait to experience cruising with a service dog and actually get to experience the cruise! :D

I have so enjoyed reading all of your stories and getting a glimpse into each of your lives; you have made me more confident and more anxious to meet my new "hero". I am finally close enough I can start buying dog things and I am communicating with my apartment and university about my future with a service dog. I can't wait to meet my new hero and begin this new chapter of my life; without fear for my safety and with the confidence to do all the things I want to. (I think my spoiled cat might disagree though, he's in for a rude awakening come September...)

I also have to mention that I am very excited to see so many CCI dogs here! I am not getting a CCI dog - my dog is going to be a cross-trained mobility assist/psychiatric service dog - but, my family were puppy raisers once upon a time when we lived in Texas. Unfortunately neither of our two dogs passed; one was released after advanced training as he was too "distractable" (and he was) and the other stayed for many rounds of team training camps before they finally released him because he never found a match (both have found great forever homes though with their adoptive families). I always wanted to be a puppy raiser when I "grew up", little did I know then that I would be receiving my own service dog!

I have been hinting to my family that a "celebration" cruise when I graduate next summer from grad school would be a nice family trip, and I can't wait to take my new "hero" on the cruise ship with me. And reading each of your experiences makes me feel more confident that I can make this happen! Here's a picture of the dog they are training for me; I can't help but share. :) His name is Owen and he is a (huge!) English Labrador.

553931_470682559627071_224988705_n.jpg.da5b213f977c6c24b78eef613c8c45d8.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to share your lives; reading about your experiences with your heroes only makes me more excited to start my life with mine!

I want to thank everybody who has contributed to this forum over the last five years (especially Roz who started it!). I am going to be receiving my service dog in a short 10 weeks - yikes! - and one of the first things I looked up when I first applied to my program a year ago was whether people cruised with their service dogs. My family enjoys cruising' date=' though I've only been on one cruise post-disability - and all the others I have been on were as a child. The one cruise I've been on recently I spent the majority of in the dark cabin with a severe migraine; a comorbid condition of my disability. I can't wait to experience cruising with a service dog and actually get to [i']experience[/i] the cruise! :D

I have so enjoyed reading all of your stories and getting a glimpse into each of your lives; you have made me more confident and more anxious to meet my new "hero". I am finally close enough I can start buying dog things and I am communicating with my apartment and university about my future with a service dog. I can't wait to meet my new hero and begin this new chapter of my life; without fear for my safety and with the confidence to do all the things I want to. (I think my spoiled cat might disagree though, he's in for a rude awakening come September...)

I also have to mention that I am very excited to see so many CCI dogs here! I am not getting a CCI dog - my dog is going to be a cross-trained mobility assist/psychiatric service dog - but, my family were puppy raisers once upon a time when we lived in Texas. Unfortunately neither of our two dogs passed; one was released after advanced training as he was too "distractable" (and he was) and the other stayed for many rounds of team training camps before they finally released him because he never found a match (both have found great forever homes though with their adoptive families). I always wanted to be a puppy raiser when I "grew up", little did I know then that I would be receiving my own service dog!

I have been hinting to my family that a "celebration" cruise when I graduate next summer from grad school would be a nice family trip, and I can't wait to take my new "hero" on the cruise ship with me. And reading each of your experiences makes me feel more confident that I can make this happen! Here's a picture of the dog they are training for me; I can't help but share. :) His name is Owen and he is a (huge!) English Labrador.

[ATTACH]238814[/ATTACH]

Thank you for taking the time to share your lives; reading about your experiences with your heroes only makes me more excited to start my life with mine!

Katherine: Congratulations!!! Owen is so handsome, thanks for sharing him with us. He looks like a yellow, male version of Brenda. He's adorable! You're a very lucky girl and have a really rich and full life to look forward to with him.

You're going to love cruising with your new partner and looking forward to TeamTraining with him is pure joy. I know you won't be training with CCI but there are really good Orgs. that do great jobs as well.

We're all going to be so excited for you, please let us know when you begin your classes and, of course, when you graduate, so we can experience it all with you.

Then, when you and Owen get ready to cruise we'll all be here to help you plan and go on your cruise vacation. You're going to love life again!!!!!! Only this time you'll have an unconditional partner at your side!!! :)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Happy 5 Years on Cruise Critic to

EVERYONE.....

Who added to our thread, who gave us all the great information that we needed to keep on cruising and who helped us all in every way, not only cruising with our amazing Service Dogs but who kept us going in heart & soul.

Thank you to the wonderful moderators on this board who saw the importance to all of us in keeping us on the front page.

Happy Cruising to All of You, we truly hope to meet you all onboard one day!!!!

Much Love,

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I want to thank everybody who has contributed to this forum over the last five years (especially Roz who started it!). I am going to be receiving my service dog in a short 10 weeks - yikes! - and one of the first things I looked up when I first applied to my program a year ago was whether people cruised with their service dogs. My family enjoys cruising' date=' though I've only been on one cruise post-disability - and all the others I have been on were as a child. The one cruise I've been on recently I spent the majority of in the dark cabin with a severe migraine; a comorbid condition of my disability. I can't wait to experience cruising with a service dog and actually get to [i']experience[/i] the cruise! :D

[ATTACH]238814[/ATTACH]

Katherine, Welcome!!! How exciting for you to get your first service dog. He is just beautiful!!!! You will have independence and lots of love. We wish you the best of luck and anyway we can help just let us know.

Cindy

Edited by rangeley

EVERYONE.....

Who added to our thread, who gave us all the great information that we needed to keep on cruising and who helped us all in every way, not only cruising with our amazing Service Dogs but who kept us going in heart & soul.

Thank you to the wonderful moderators on this board who saw the importance to all of us in keeping us on the front page.

Much Love,

Ditto Roz!! It seems like you said it all. I would also like to thank Cruise Critic and the moderators on this board. We would have never taken Wexler on a cruise if it wasn't for the people on here. Mostly I would like to thank Roz for EVERYTHING!!!!! She is the one who started this and we are forever greatful. Lets keep it going for another 5 years!!!!

Love, Cindy, John, & Wexler

EVERYONE.....

Much Love,

Happy Anniversary Everyone! And my thanks to Roz too for starting this community. Here's to the next five years of cruising with your wonderful partners!

Kathi

Barbara & David, I hope this finds you healing, we miss you and I think about you often.

Kathi, thanks for the warm wishes....amazing, 5 years.

Sunshine, please let us know how Rich is doing.

Jocko, I hope your absence is because you're so busy with your grands and dogs that you can't check-in.

Nancy, it was wonderful to hear from you.

Cindy, I hope the weather isn't as stifling as it sounds on the news. I know you're going to be busy with dog sitting.

DisneyKids, how's your new pup doing?

Marcia, how's the cruising....will we be onboard together in October?

Cari, when's your cruise? Please kiss Denver from me and Brenny.

Katherine, hang on....I promise the wait will be worth it. And, you won't believe how quickly the time will fly.

Celle, Piper, BeagleOne and to all who have added or lurked over our 5 years ~ Thank You!!!!!

Roz

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I am so sad to posting tonight. My husband's lung disease is progessivley worsened over the past few weeks. He was dancing at our daughter's wedding in April, water skiing in May and now barely able to walk up the stairs. Emory is fast tracking us to the lung transplant list. One more test and he will be placed on the waiting list for a double lung transplant. We cancelled our September cruise, but plan to take the same cruise next year with two new lungs. I plan to continue to work my sweet Mackey...he does us both a lot of good.

I am so sad to posting tonight. My husband's lung disease is progessivley worsened over the past few weeks. He was dancing at our daughter's wedding in April, water skiing in May and now barely able to walk up the stairs. Emory is fast tracking us to the lung transplant list. One more test and he will be placed on the waiting list for a double lung transplant. We cancelled our September cruise, but plan to take the same cruise next year with two new lungs. I plan to continue to work my sweet Mackey...he does us both a lot of good.

We must have been posting at the same. I am so, so sorry to hear the news about Rich's lung issues. Thank goodness he has you to help him, with all your health knowledge and your abilities it's so good for him.

Please know that I think of you often and will say a very special extra prayer for Rich to get healthy and for you both to take that long deserved cruise together in good health.

I love you dear lady and I know you must be so worried and scared for your man. Take care of you through all of this. You have us with you, please keep us informed of the progress towards Rich's new lungs.

Much Love,

Roz

Sunshine: Best wishes to you and your DH from me, too.

2 of the women who come to my weekly, "networking" coffee morning have had lung transplants. They are doing well and their lives have been changed by this operation.

I hope that your husband gets to have his operation soon, so that his life can improve again.

You do so much good for other people - don't forget to look after yourself a little, too!

Hugs,

Celle

Sunshine, So sorry to hear about Rich. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Saturday we got Titan, a 3 year old black lab that we will have for 2 weeks. He is the sweetest thing. Wex and him get along great (they knew eachother from puppy class) and play nicely together. Titan has settled in and seems very comfortable here. I will post some pics if I can.

1209143971_CopyofTitanBall.jpg.2233df561ff359f13f4568cb2b158d0f.jpg

1103128693_CopyofTitanBall2.jpg.86e853ef76de0b0b9d376955555d28b3.jpg

Saturday we got Titan, a 3 year old black lab that we will have for 2 weeks. He is the sweetest thing. Wex and him get along great (they knew eachother from puppy class) and play nicely together. Titan has settled in and seems very comfortable here. I will post some pics if I can.

Wex and Horton are twins, I swear, they look exactly alike. I'd love to see pix of Titan [what a name!]

Could you not see the pics I posted in the post above yours?

Is that Titan or Wex? Now I'm really freaking.......these dogs all look alike. Except for Brenny, very few look like her......Cindy, she's getting so old......her little face is getting so boney and gray.......I held her face in my hands yesterday and just loved on her. She's so, so sweet! Big Horton kept pushing his way into our love session but I never let him get between us.