Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Everyone, meet Ocho II. We got him on Thursday. He has learned his name, sit & here. Now we need to work on housebreaking and sleeping through the night. ZZZZZZZZZ :(

Picture004.jpg

What a sweetie! He'll soon get the hang of things!

I'm sorry I haven't been back since I first posted. I have been having some computer issues and was "dogsitting" for a friend last week so couldn't leave to get them fixed. I keep Paco one week a month. He is a service dog, too. His owner works 5 days a month as a hairdresser and doesn't take Paco with her because of the hazards of the shop (and the long hours--she is gone for 12 hours a day.)

Paco's owner lives in the same apartments--just a few doors down. 2155260480067077547S500x500Q85.jpgLucy really looks forward to having Paco to play with--we take them to the dog park at our apartments when it is cooler in the evenings to play because they are so good together. When Paco is here, they share a bed, eat out of the same dish, share toys, etc. I even noticed that Paco would get a mouthfull of food--drop it on the floor and share with Lucy!

I am praying for all the pups with health problems. I hope they're quickly resolved.

I just wanted to post some info about Valentine. We just had to take her to the vet. She was having a hard time breathing. They xrayed her and said she had an enlarged heart (she always had a big heart), fluid around it and in her lungs. They kept her to treat her but they are hopeful they she can come home tonight. Needless to say Barb (ValentinesMom) isn't doing well right now. Please keep them both in your thoughts.

Thanks

Dave

Oh! Dave! I'm so sorry to hear this news. I hope that Valentine can pull through this. This happened so quickly. It's so frightening how our dogs can be well one moment and then, suddenly, be so ill!

Please tell Barb that I'm praying for this to be an easy time for that beautiful little girl and that Barb will be able to face this with her. It's so difficult and scary, please give her an extra hug from me.

Everyone, meet Ocho II. We got him on Thursday. He has learned his name, sit & here. Now we need to work on housebreaking and sleeping through the night. ZZZZZZZZZ :(

Picture004.jpg

What a beautiful little boy. I love his green ear from his tattoo [so stylish!] He's so little. Even his cape is too big for him. Please keep sending us all the great pictures as he progresses.

Amazing how a puppy can take away the tears!!!!!! ;)

I'm sorry I haven't been back since I first posted. I have been having some computer issues and was "dogsitting" for a friend last week so couldn't leave to get them fixed. I keep Paco one week a month. He is a service dog, too. His owner works 5 days a month as a hairdresser and doesn't take Paco with her because of the hazards of the shop (and the long hours--she is gone for 12 hours a day.)

Paco's owner lives in the same apartments--just a few doors down. 2155260480067077547S500x500Q85.jpgLucy really looks forward to having Paco to play with--we take them to the dog park at our apartments when it is cooler in the evenings to play because they are so good together. When Paco is here, they share a bed, eat out of the same dish, share toys, etc. I even noticed that Paco would get a mouthfull of food--drop it on the floor and share with Lucy!

I am praying for all the pups with health problems. I hope they're quickly resolved.

What great faces..........You're a good friend to keep Paco safe until his Mom can come and get him.

And, how cute is it that they're such good friends.

Johns wheelchair isn't that good on stairs! ;)

"Stairwell" Doesn't mean you'd have to go up and down stairs to use it for the pottybox because it would be the one on your floor, but there is a large lip that he'd have to go up and down on and the door is very, very heavy.

You knew all this, didn't you? Just trying to "test" old Roz!!!! :cool:

Oh! Dave! I'm so sorry to hear this news. I hope that Valentine can pull through this. This happened so quickly. It's so frightening how our dogs can be well one moment and then, suddenly, be so ill!

Please tell Barb that I'm praying for this to be an easy time for that beautiful little girl and that Barb will be able to face this with her. It's so difficult and scary, please give her an extra hug from me.

Please add our best wishes for little Valentine's speedy recovery!

Picture004.jpg

Cutest little service dog ever! Thanks Roz for explaining why his ear is green!

Cutest little service dog ever! Thanks Roz for explaining why his ear is green!

The yellow & white pups really show the green, you don't see it so much on the black pups. When you visit CCI you can always tell when it's tatoo day....all the little yellow/white puppies are running around with their floppy, green ears.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to teach the pup anything, I'd be so busy cuddling him/her all day.

They don't stay puppies very long, it goes so fast.

The yellow & white pups really show the green, you don't see it so much on the black pups. When you visit CCI you can always tell when it's tatoo day....all the little yellow/white puppies are running around with their floppy, green ears.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to teach the pup anything, I'd be so busy cuddling him/her all day.

They don't stay puppies very long, it goes so fast.

He's not much for cuddling. He would rather be exploring. When he hears a strange noise, he goes looking for it.

Only if CCI starts training and graduating hearing dogs out of the Long Island campus. I can't afford a trip to CA for the graduation.

Horton was Puppyraised in North Carolina, sent to Florida and then shipped to Santa Rosa, CA. Talk about covering a lot of territory. He had been in so many states and with so many different people, I'm sure it didn't help with his insecurities.

When we take a road trip and I finally open the car door he's a bit relunctant to get out. I have to coax him to give-up his seat. I'm sure he's thinking "now where are they taking me?" It took Brenda a full year to really be comfortable and give-up her fears and distrust.

So, you never know what or where your puppy will finally wind-up. I think CCI looked at Horton's size and just naturally assumed he would become a wheelchair puller kind of guy. Boy, did he fool them.

Have fun with your new, little boy. Just think one day he'll be graduating with a new person. Amazing!!!! You're creating a miracle for someone else!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

"stairwell" doesn't mean you'd have to go up and down stairs to use it for the pottybox because it would be the one on your floor, but there is a large lip that he'd have to go up and down on and the door is very, very heavy.

you knew all this, didn't you? Just trying to "test" old roz!!!! :cool:

;) hehe

Edited by rangeley

When we got Wex, they were talking about training hearing dogs in LI.

Will Santa Rosa ever give-up being the main training facility for Hearing Dogs?

CCI Oceanside is ALWAYS reminding us that we should get our re-certification's through them [because we live in Southern Calif.] but, I just love Santa Rosa so much, it's like going home!

We finally got a Dorm [in Oceanside] reserved for our re-cert in December [do you believe it, it's time to start planning for Horton's re-cert already.] We were never able to get a Dorm room there because they were always full! At last we've been confirmed in Dorm Room #1.......The hotels down in Oceanside and it's environ's are so expensive. It's located right in the middle of the most popular tourist destinations in So. Calif. Really lovely. But, it doesn't matter I'll always have a "soft-spot" in my heart for Santa Rosa.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

First of all...I know that puppy is cute, but give Disney Dad some sympathy. He is suffereing from "PFS" or puppy fatigue syndrome! Since I have not suffered such syndrom for about 9 months I can tell him that this too will pass.....

Having some rough days lately. Rich and I are adjusting to life with oxygen and an overall slowing down. Still looking forward to our cruise in September with all those sea days!!!! I went up for some puppy therapy today and worked with two "doodles".s So cute...one a pup and our outing was to walmart...The other a mature adult dog of 14 months....first time out with him and what a charmer. Another walmart outing and then a relaxing lunch. I even got to read a book during lunch since my companion slept under the table and no one in the restaurant knew he was there.

Have Mackey home. He is doing great in his training. On another note ....Cooler has torn her ACL...she is recovering from her surgery and I am sending her all my cyber love....

First of all...I know that puppy is cute, but give Disney Dad some sympathy. He is suffereing from "PFS" or puppy fatigue syndrome! Since I have not suffered such syndrom for about 9 months I can tell him that this too will pass.....

Having some rough days lately. Rich and I are adjusting to life with oxygen and an overall slowing down. Still looking forward to our cruise in September with all those sea days!!!! I went up for some puppy therapy today and worked with two "doodles".s So cute...one a pup and our outing was to walmart...The other a mature adult dog of 14 months....first time out with him and what a charmer. Another walmart outing and then a relaxing lunch. I even got to read a book during lunch since my companion slept under the table and no one in the restaurant knew he was there.

Have Mackey home. He is doing great in his training. On another note ....Cooler has torn her ACL...she is recovering from her surgery and I am sending her all my cyber love....

Sunshine, quite an adjustment that you and Rich are going through. My very best wishes to both of you. Can he fly with his oxygen? If so, how's it done. We have a gal in our office who's DH has just had a bout with congestive heart failure and he's now using oxygen but is afraid he'll NEVER be able to fly again.

Poor Cooler.....that's got to be very painful for dogs. Poor puppy!

I'm so proud of DKD......he's my new hero for giving back...it's got to be the toughest job of all; caring for a pup and then passing that leash on to someone else.....I couldn't do it!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

We just got back from the vet. She said Valentine was improving nicely. We still have to keep her calmed down with little exertion for some more time. We are done cruising for the foreseeable future, so our Oct cruise is canceled. Our problem now is that she doesn't want to eat. She is down about 2 lb from before she started having problems. She eats a little but not much, and you can't bribe her. We will keep you updated in the future. Thanks for all your caring.

Dave, Barb and Valentine

Sunshine, quite an adjustment that you and Rich are going through. My very best wishes to both of you. Can he fly with his oxygen? If so, how's it done. We have a gal in our office who's DH has just had a bout with congestive heart failure and he's now using oxygen but is afraid he'll NEVER be able to fly again.

Poor Cooler.....that's got to be very painful for dogs. Poor puppy!

I'm so proud of DKD......he's my new hero for giving back...it's got to be the toughest job of all; caring for a pup and then passing that leash on to someone else.....I couldn't do it!!!

It's all a matter of what you can do. Flying with oxygen is not a problem. You just need to obtain a portable oxygen concentrater that meets FAA standards. Also needed are enough batteries for 150% of your flight time. Our insurance actually covers this.

Mackey is being a love right now. The fun part of puppy raising is when you can let them just be a dog. Mackey loves to snuggle up to whoever is sitting on the floor.

We just got back from the vet. She said Valentine was improving nicely. We still have to keep her calmed down with little exertion for some more time. We are done cruising for the foreseeable future, so our Oct cruise is canceled. Our problem now is that she doesn't want to eat. She is down about 2 lb from before she started having problems. She eats a little but not much, and you can't bribe her. We will keep you updated in the future. Thanks for all your caring.

Dave, Barb and Valentine

Dave, Barb and our sweet little Valentine: Please keep improving, we are all thinking about and praying for you.

I'm sorry you had to cancel your cruise. Hopefully, there will be lots more of that in all of your future's.

Much Love & Concern,

Roz