Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

It's all a matter of what you can do. Flying with oxygen is not a problem. You just need to obtain a portable oxygen concentrater that meets FAA standards. Also needed are enough batteries for 150% of your flight time. Our insurance actually covers this.

Mackey is being a love right now. The fun part of puppy raising is when you can let them just be a dog. Mackey loves to snuggle up to whoever is sitting on the floor.

Sunshine, thanks for the information, I will pass it onto my friend. Mackey is going to be such a great Service Dog!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

hi all its been a while .....anyone sailed on carnival splendor in a a. Handicapped room if so what room inside outside etc ....I'm finding the rooms to not really be handicapped accessable and don't want to make the mistake and book for 7 night and have no where in the room for my dog to sleep....will have sucessor dog and he will most likely be in a crate...wanna do disney as I know the rooms staff and ship but too expensive as is princess. I know roz loves princess and I love disney but I'm looking for cheap here lol

Any information would be great and photos if u have them even better

Cari and denver

hi all its been a while .....anyone sailed on carnival splendor in a a. Handicapped room if so what room inside outside etc ....I'm finding the rooms to not really be handicapped accessable and don't want to make the mistake and book for 7 night and have no where in the room for my dog to sleep....will have sucessor dog and he will most likely be in a crate...wanna do disney as I know the rooms staff and ship but too expensive as is princess. I know roz loves princess and I love disney but I'm looking for cheap here lol

Any information would be great and photos if u have them even better

Cari and denver

Cari, we had a regular cabin [with veranda.] They put the potty box on the veranda and there was a couch in the cabin [which was perfect for Brenda to sleep on.]

I actually liked the Splendor a lot and wouldn't hesitate to go on her again.

There is definitely room in this the cabin for a crate.

I know that Princess no longer allows the pottybox to be put on the Veranda and I believe HAL has stopped that as well. But, since I prefer the stairwell to anyplace else, that's not a problem for me!

Tell us about your Successor. How's handsome Denver doing?

Hi all. Catching up on a lot of posts. Things have been really busy since my kids got out of school 3 weeks ago.

I'm wondering if any of you watched the new TLC show called "On The Fly". We watched because we saw camera crews at BWI several months ago. We are watching for ourselves in background shots. Last week there was a guy who was traveling (I think it was from Baltimore) to Denver with a service dog who was training. The dog was not officially "certified" as a service dog as its training was going to be completed in Denver. The airline was giving him a hard time about flying with the dog. The finally did let them on the plane. Since we were watching it from the DVR, I paused it to ask my attorney husband if the could deny them boarding. I didn't think they could. My husband said federal law trumps airline policy.

I also watched After the Catch/Deadliest Catch this afternoon on the DVR. They showed avalance rescue dogs. Pretty cool to watch that too.

Hi all. Catching up on a lot of posts. Things have been really busy since my kids got out of school 3 weeks ago.

I'm wondering if any of you watched the new TLC show called "On The Fly". We watched because we saw camera crews at BWI several months ago. We are watching for ourselves in background shots. Last week there was a guy who was traveling (I think it was from Baltimore) to Denver with a service dog who was training. The dog was not officially "certified" as a service dog as its training was going to be completed in Denver. The airline was giving him a hard time about flying with the dog. The finally did let them on the plane. Since we were watching it from the DVR, I paused it to ask my attorney husband if the could deny them boarding. I didn't think they could. My husband said federal law trumps airline policy.

I also watched After the Catch/Deadliest Catch this afternoon on the DVR. They showed avalance rescue dogs. Pretty cool to watch that too.

I have not seen the show but I love anything about Service/Working Dogs or just dog shows in general.

Dogs **"IN TRAINING" [**key words] do NOT have the same rights as a dog that has completed all it's training. They are NOT protected by Federal Law. And, therefore can be denied public acces into ANYWHERE that the public goes. On a case-by-case basis the public carrier or public business may deny the "dog in training" access, if they choose.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I have not seen the show but I love anything about Service/Working Dogs or just dog shows in general.

Dogs **"IN TRAINING" [**key words] do NOT have the same rights as a dog that has completed all it's training. They are NOT protected by Federal Law. And, therefore can be denied public acces into ANYWHERE that the public goes. On a case-by-case basis the public carrier or public business may deny the "dog in training" access, if they choose.

What I meant to say is that a public establishment may ALLOW ACCESS to the Dog In Training, if they choose to but they are not mandated to do so by Federal Law until the dog is fully trained.

All the above information was given to me by IAADP and CCI.

H roz

Thanks for the info u set my mind at ease no sucessor yet. Ut soonsadly denver isnt doing well but hanging in

Cari, what's going on with Denver? What's wrong? I hope it's nothing serious, other than "old age!" I know he's around Brenda's age and, on a daily basis, I check her as she sleeps because she's sleeping longer and more deeply.

I'm concerned and although I don't see you often enough, my memories of being with you and Denver run very deep, he's such a handsome and dutiful Service Dog!

I did find out the other day from one of the CCI trainers that only Hearing Dogs are being trained to use an escalator.

I love having the freedom to use an escalator. At first I was really scared but Horton didn't think anything of it and to watch all the dogs during testing go up and down the escalator's with ease was great to watch. To think how restricted my life was with Brenda always having to look for the elevators, when my blind friends were going right up the escalator, it sure didn't make sense to me!!!!

I love having the freedom to use an escalator. At first I was really scared but Horton didn't think anything of it and to watch all the dogs during testing go up and down the escalator's with ease was great to watch. To think how restricted my life was with Brenda always having to look for the elevators, when my blind friends were going right up the escalator, it sure didn't make sense to me!!!!

On tv the other night was a story about some dog that caught its leg in the escalator and lost two toes. :( I don't like it!!

On tv the other night was a story about some dog that caught its leg in the escalator and lost two toes. :( I don't like it!!

I remember this . It was several years ago in DC . It was a blind man and a seeing eye dog.The community came together and paid for all of their medical expenses.

Me either! I wonder how it happened. I'm always afraid when Horton stands too close to the edge......thank goodness I only get faced with this when we're in the mall [i'm too busy saving money for cruising to spend it in the mall] and, when we go to the pier in San Pedro that has an escalator, I always have my "Granny Cart" with me filled with Horton's "stuff" so I can't take advantage of it!

To think of all the Seeing Eye Dogs that use the escalators and I've never heard of any accidents, this one sounds very frightening. Anything can happen......poor dog, he must have been so scared and the owner too! I'd be pretty hysterical myself!

Not dog related....Rich and I are off today to Emory University Hospital. Having some tests and meeting with the transplant team. Can't believe how much has happened in less than a year. Sandy won't leave his side this morning.

Oh! Sunshine! This is very intense. You must be so worried. I'm so sorry. I hope it all goes as easy as it can for Rich.

Please let us know the outcome and tell him that I'll say an extra prayer for him as he goes through all his tests and exams.

I remember this . It was several years ago in DC . It was a blind man and a seeing eye dog.The community came together and paid for all of their medical expenses.

Barbara' date=' how's our Valentine doing? I hope this finds her on the mend. [/b']

And, I think I'll stay away from escalators until Horton and I go in for re-certification in December.....I'll hit the mall a few weeks before to practice.

Hello everyone,

Sorry it'a been so long but today at 1:15 pm Valentine had to be put down due to extended illness. I love her and miss her terribly. I'm sure you will all understand that I won't be posting for a while but will be lurking.

Please everyone say a prayer to send Valentine in the right direction.

All our Love, Barbara, David and Valentine

Valentine_sml.jpg.834588fc7e68e18ca0567cf5e131045f.jpg

I'm having some pretty extensive dental work done.......I have the worst dental-phobia, dentists make me crazy and I need to be pretty medicated to begin the work.

It was Horton's first time at the dentist with me....I layed him down, with a "down-stay" in the corner [as far away from the instruments and the movement as I could.] The dental assistist was applying some cement with a "gun" looking device......Horton immediately stood-up, came over to me and starting licking my hand. It was so sweet, yet so menacing-looking to the assistant. He asked that I give Horton a direction to lay-down again. My mouth was filled with gauze and I'm sure I didn't sound like me. Horton immediately went back to his spot and layed down. Obviously, he doesn't sleep or even close his eyes......he's intent on watching me! Very interesting, huh!

I have to have more work done on July 6th, I think I'll leave Horton at home with Brenda & Morey because that visit looks like it's going to be pretty extensive too.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hello everyone' date='

Sorry it'a been so long but today at 1:15 pm Valentine had to be put down due to extended illness. I love her and miss her terribly. I'm sure you will all understand that I won't be posting for a while but will be lurking.

All our Love, Barbara, David and Valentine[/quote']

Barbara & David, my deepest sympathies, I hope that you are both sustained by the memories & good times that you shared with your beautiful little girl.

We all loved Valentine and I'll miss the fabulous stories about her adventures.

She was a wonderful little worker and fulfilled her job like a true little pro. She surely has a front row seat in heaven. Our dear, beloved fur-partners just don't live the long lives that we wished they could......but that's because they don't need to.....they fulfill us and do what they need to do with a purity of soul and heart.

Rest-in-peace dear little Valentine you were a friend to all of us.

We are sending all our love,

Roz, Morey, Brenda & Horton

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I'm very sorry about Valentine.

There's an escalator story that happened just a couple of days ago. Fortunately the owner took the puppy to an excellent hospital and he only lost two toes.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/puppy-loses-toes-caught-escalator-article-1.1102416

I bet that kitten could take the police dog if she really wanted to. ;) Love how the tail is all puffed up in the photo.

Edited by BeagleOne

Hello everyone' date='

All our Love, Barbara, David and Valentine[/quote']

So so sorry Barb. Been through it to many times. I will just say it gets better. We have all been saying prayers already for Valentine. May she have rubs and cookies forever.

Cindy

I'm very sorry about Valentine.

There's an escalator story that happened just a couple of days ago. Fortunately the owner took the puppy to an excellent hospital and he only lost two toes.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/puppy-loses-toes-caught-escalator-article-1.1102416

I bet that kitten could take the police dog if she really wanted to. ;) Love how the tail is all puffed up in the photo.

Thats the story I was talking about