Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Is that Titan or Wex? Now I'm really freaking.......these dogs all look alike. Except for Brenny, very few look like her......Cindy, she's getting so old......her little face is getting so boney and gray.......I held her face in my hands yesterday and just loved on her. She's so, so sweet! Big Horton kept pushing his way into our love session but I never let him get between us.

That is Titan. It's amazing how they look alike. Here's a pic from yesterday, Wex is the big one.

915620313_CopyofBuds.jpg.b753e2182649371544084ecab9c4b2a4.jpg

Edited by rangeley

Is that Titan or Wex? Now I'm really freaking.......these dogs all look alike. Except for Brenny, very few look like her......Cindy, she's getting so old......her little face is getting so boney and gray.......I held her face in my hands yesterday and just loved on her. She's so, so sweet! Big Horton kept pushing his way into our love session but I never let him get between us.

It's very hard when they get old. You notice all the changes in them, especially when you have a youngster in the house. Enjoy every minute!

That is Titan. It's amazing how they look alike. Here's a pic from yesterday, Wex is the big one.

You're trying to fool me......the one on the right is Horton.....You came to my house grabbed him for the picture and then put him back. It's a good thing they're not all in the same room, I'd never be able to tell who my boy was! :confused:

It's very hard when they get old. You notice all the changes in them, especially when you have a youngster in the house. Enjoy every minute!

I do. I never forget to kiss her good night. She loves the living room couch [Horton hasn't even attempted to get up on it] and, that's where she does her sleeping, day and night.

Before I head for bed, I stop by and give Brenny a big kiss and remind her of how much she is loved and that it was because of her that I felt "alright" to go into the world and to face each day!!!!! She is and always will be my hero!!!!

• Administrators

Hi all!

I wanted to stop by and give you a (belated) congrats on your thread attaining a five year anniversary here on the Disabled Forum!

The information found here is truly special; there isn't anything like it of its kind anywhere on the 'net! We're so happy you have found your "home" here on Cruise Critic!

Here's to another five years (or more) of sharing!

Laura

Hi all!

I wanted to stop by and give you a (belated) congrats on your thread attaining a five year anniversary here on the Disabled Forum!

The information found here is truly special; there isn't anything like it of its kind anywhere on the 'net! We're so happy you have found your "home" here on Cruise Critic!

Laura

Laura, thank you for your warm wishes. We are unique and very special onto ourselves. Although there are some "onboard" with us who don't have a Working Dog, we love their input, their love and most importantly their genuine care and concerns.

Again, thank you for your support!

Much Love,

Roz

My spirits are a bit better today. I took Mackey to the movies. Not only was the movie just what I needed, Mackey was great company. We had some nice snuggles before we got in the car then he was all business. Making sure to stay right by my side, handing the $$$ to the ticket seller. He enjoys doing this as he get's lot's of the awwwww factor when he puts his paws up on the counter and the person takes the money from his mouth. Of course a pat is usually snuck in. Then he opened the door for me and stayed calm in the dark theatre. OK, he had his head in my lap for the first 30 minutes, then he settled. I think he might have known I needed the extra loving. Cooler has torn her ACL...but is recovering well from surgery. I've seen a few pictures, had the cone of shame for a few weeks. Her person is doing so well with her it just makes my heart full. Thank you for all the kind words. I've told my friends here that we need prayers and shoulders to lean on. Y'all are providing a lot of cyber shoulders and I feel the love and support coming thru the computer.

You're trying to fool me......the one on the right is Horton.....You came to my house grabbed him for the picture and then put him back. It's a good thing they're not all in the same room, I'd never be able to tell who my boy was! :confused:

We have to check for the gray beard to tell them apart! :eek:

Hi all!

Laura

Thanks so much Laura. We really appreciate CC letting us have this forum to share our experiences and travel information.

And your dog is just beautiful!!!

Cindy

My spirits are a bit better today. I took Mackey to the movies. Not only was the movie just what I needed, Mackey was great company. We had some nice snuggles before we got in the car then he was all business. Making sure to stay right by my side, handing the $$$ to the ticket seller. He enjoys doing this as he get's lot's of the awwwww factor when he puts his paws up on the counter and the person takes the money from his mouth. Of course a pat is usually snuck in. Then he opened the door for me and stayed calm in the dark theatre. OK, he had his head in my lap for the first 30 minutes, then he settled. I think he might have known I needed the extra loving. Cooler has torn her ACL...but is recovering well from surgery. I've seen a few pictures, had the cone of shame for a few weeks. Her person is doing so well with her it just makes my heart full. Thank you for all the kind words. I've told my friends here that we need prayers and shoulders to lean on. Y'all are providing a lot of cyber shoulders and I feel the love and support coming thru the computer.

Glad you are in better spirits. Nothing like a dog to make you feel better. They are truely godsends.

Awwwwww! Just what Auntie Sunshine needed......I love what our dogs give us.....it's so pure and unconditional!

Everytime I see the picture of you sitting on the floor with Brenda, in our cabin, it completely warms my heart and reminds me of the woman that you are; so kind, so loving and giving of spirit.

We're with you....every step of the way!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Well, if it wasn't for Cindy (rangeley), I would not have found this forum. She was on our Cruise thread but has not been back, so I went looking for her. I don't have a service dog but love animals, and lost my Rhonda last year, she was 13. I am going on the same cruise as Cindy and am looking forward to meeting them. If she needs a baby sitter for Wex, I would be glad to do it, if she wants to get off the ship. We don't get off the ship often----both have bad knees. We plan to get off in Key West and ride the on and off trolly-----not getting off tho:D.

Reading this thread I had many laughs and tears. Roz, it was so nice of you to start this thread and Happy Anniversary for your five years here. I have enjoyed it so much and those that can travel with their service dog must LOVE it. you and others have given so much info.

I did see one service dog, on one of my cruises. The poor thing was so sea sick tho, don't know if they ever got anything to give to him. Or if then can give the dogs meds?

Sorry to read about your losses and prayers for those that are ill.

Trudy

Well, if it wasn't for Cindy (rangeley), I would not have found this forum. She was on our Cruise thread but has not been back, so I went looking for her. I don't have a service dog but love animals, and lost my Rhonda last year, she was 13. I am going on the same cruise as Cindy and am looking forward to meeting them. If she needs a baby sitter for Wex, I would be glad to do it, if she wants to get off the ship. We don't get off the ship often----both have bad knees. We plan to get off in Key West and ride the on and off trolly-----not getting off tho:D.

Reading this thread I had many laughs and tears. Roz, it was so nice of you to start this thread and Happy Anniversary for your five years here. I have enjoyed it so much and those that can travel with their service dog must LOVE it. you and others have given so much info.

I did see one service dog, on one of my cruises. The poor thing was so sea sick tho, don't know if they ever got anything to give to him. Or if then can give the dogs meds?

Trudy

Trudy, we've adopted you. Just like we won't let Nancy or Marcia or so many others leave because they love our dogs or their own furbabies, we love the input, interest and warm wishes.

I've met so many wonderful people onboard cruises [one of the very reasons I cruise.] The dog sitting offer is so lovely.

We've been very fortunate to meet some wonderful folks who also have Service Dogs onboard but not as often as we'd like. I think it's still fairly new for a lot of the world.......but, I swear, I'm on a mission to get the word out and people on a cruise with their amazing working dog partners. ;)

Trudy

Welcome Trudy!!! I did see you post in the roll calls, but I haven't been back since then. It's not very active. I'm glad you have found me here and I'm sure we will meet on the ship. Please do not hesitate to come up to us. We are very hard to miss. :D We do get off the ship but only to see the shops at the port. If you are getting off in Key West, I assume you are on back to back cruises? I am very jealous! Sorry to hear about your dog. If you have read this forum, you know I have lost a few. It's very hard. I'm going to need a vacation after dogsitting for most of the summer. We got meds for Wexlers first cruise, just incase he got sick. He didn't, so we do not worry about it now.

Cindy

Hi Cindy---we will certainly come up to you and say Hi. And like I told Roz, if you would need a baby sitter, I would love it. We are thinking of another dog sometime in the future. It is so hard leaving them when on vacation. I have two cats and this time I am thinking of a kennel because one of them is getting on in age and I don't want to leave them alone for such a long time. Hopefully, my sister in law will be down here and she can look after them. Can't ask the neighbors :(

This is our first long cruise and when we signed up it was just a 14 day, I didn't realize it was two cruises is one. We did do a 10 day once and liked that-----hopefully this one will not seem too long, but we like cruising so it should be good.

Talk to you soon------yes both legs of the cruise thread is not active. Sometimes they are good and sometimes not. Mostly we don't do the M & M but we will see how this turnes out, we have a few months yet.

I don't know if I shared with you guys that my office has moved to our main office in the city for about 3 months, until our new offices are built.

The building is a "mini-skyscraper" in the finanacial district of L.A. Because of 911 and because I work for a very "terrorist-sensitive" org., we have armed guards at every entrance and can NEVER use the stairwell's in the building, except for emergencies. Sorry, long story trying to make short.......Horton and I have to use the elevators [at least 8-10 times a day] to get to the various other departments and to just come and "go!"

We are now into our 2nd week of being here and Horton was acting "un-well" towards the end of each day - just laying around, sleeping more and even had a few bouts of throwing-up. I called the Vet and through a deduction process, he discerned that Horton was having "elevator sickness!" Isn't that weird! He said that eventually, he would settle into getting used to them but that it was not uncommon.

We're, hopefully, only here for 3 months and then we'll be in a more "Horton friendly" environment [he'll probably just be getting over his elevator sickness by then] in time to move to our new offices, where it's only 2 stories tall.

Poor boy, he literally looked "green!"

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hi Cindy---we will certainly come up to you and say Hi. And like I told Roz, if you would need a baby sitter, I would love it. We are thinking of another dog sometime in the future. It is so hard leaving them when on vacation. I have two cats and this time I am thinking of a kennel because one of them is getting on in age and I don't want to leave them alone for such a long time. Hopefully, my sister in law will be down here and she can look after them. Can't ask the neighbors :(

This is our first long cruise and when we signed up it was just a 14 day, I didn't realize it was two cruises is one. We did do a 10 day once and liked that-----hopefully this one will not seem too long, but we like cruising so it should be good.

Talk to you soon------yes both legs of the cruise thread is not active. Sometimes they are good and sometimes not. Mostly we don't do the M & M but we will see how this turnes out, we have a few months yet.

We are dogsitting another dog right now and although I love it, I realize how hard it is with 2 dogs. We used to have 2 but it's been a couple years. Cats are alot easier!

We did a couple 10 day cruises and liked them alot. I don't know about a 14 day one. But I'm sure we could tough it out if we had to. ;)

We don't do m & m either, I actually joined the roll call to find someone to go fishing with me son, but not having any luck.

Edited by rangeley

I don't know if I shared with you guys that my office has moved to our main office in the city for about 3 months, until our new offices are built.

The building is a "mini-skyscraper" in the finanacial district of L.A. Because of 911 and because I work for a very "terrorist-sensitive" org., we have armed guards at every entrance and can NEVER use the stairwell's in the building, except for emergencies. Sorry, long story trying to make short.......Horton and I have to use the elevators [at least 8-10 times a day] to get to the various other departments and to just come and "go!"

We are now into our 2nd week of being here and Horton was acting "un-well" towards the end of each day - just laying around, sleeping more and even had a few bouts of throwing-up. I called the Vet and through a deduction process, he discerned that Horton was having "elevator sickness!" Isn't that weird! He said that eventually, he would settle into getting used to them but that it was not uncommon.

We're, hopefully, only here for 3 months and then we'll be in a more "Horton friendly" environment [he'll probably just be getting over his elevator sickness by then] in time to move to our new offices, where it's only 2 stories tall.

Poor boy, he literally looked "green!"

Wow Roz, I have never heard of that!!!! The poor thing has to go another 3 months? Yikes :eek: Maybe you should just leave him at your desk while you go to other floors. Poor Horty!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WEXLER!!!!!!!

Wex is 5 today. Can you believe he's 5 already. :( Boy that went fast.

Hope he is having a Birthday Party today. Sending cookies to him.:D

Roz--sorry Horton is having problems with the elevator but hopefully he will be fine with it soon. That's how that poor service dog looked, that I saw on one of my cruises.

HAPPY FRIDAY THE 13th.:D Good wishes for today.

Wow Roz, I have never heard of that!!!! The poor thing has to go another 3 months? Yikes :eek: Maybe you should just leave him at your desk while you go to other floors. Poor Horty!

Cindy, I think you may have something. I've thought about that too. I don't want to show the corporate office that my life is the same with or without my dog....because it's not...he definitely makes a difference in how I function....but, maybe to leave him at my desk occasionally may be better for him, in the long run. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank goodness the weekends here and I can give him a rest from it all.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WEXLER!!!!!!!

Wex is 5 today. Can you believe he's 5 already. :( Boy that went fast.

HAPPY 5TH YEAR

To

One of Our Most Favorite CCI Dogs

WEXLER

Here's To Many, Many More

Happy & Healthy Birthday's

All or Love & Licks,

Roz, Morey, Brenda & Horton

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hope he is having a Birthday Party today. Sending cookies to him.:D

Roz--sorry Horton is having problems with the elevator but hopefully he will be fine with it soon. That's how that poor service dog looked, that I saw on one of my cruises.

HAPPY FRIDAY THE 13th.:D Good wishes for today.

Trudy, isn't that strange? Hopefully, it'll all pass and Horty's work life will fall into place for him.

I've noticed that he's a real sensitive dog, in all ways. He's so responsive to loving, gentle speech and the more softly I speak and the more I embrace and stroke him the more responsive he is......it's so sweet!

Here's this big "lug" of a dog and he's just so "soft" and "lovely!" He needs a real gentle hand. You gotta love it!!!!!