Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hope you are feeling better Roz. I am sure you will have a great cruise and with Horton with you, I am sure you will have lots of people to talk to.

Trudy, thank you and I hope you're feeling better too. I keep my Mechlazine on hand [over the counter] for the occasional vertigo that may plaque me! I find that long drives in the car [me driving] and cruising is the "cure" for me!!!! Weird, eh!

I'm so glad that my tooth decided to get angry at me now and not when I was cruising. My crown had trapped some food between the gum and the tooth and it really started such a stir in my mouth!!!! Dang crowns! I'm now on 500mg of Amox. and before long I'll be a new woman!

Nothing would stop me from getting on that ship, NOTHING!!!!

Oh yuck Roz. Hope you are feeling ok.

Well you have Horty to talk to! Will he have his own bed to sleep on? Wexler would love that. You should see him when we go back to the room (for his daily nap) he hops on the bed with my son and naps. Two spoiled brats!!!!

Thanks, Cindy. I feel so much better today. I'm still afraid to eat on that side.....but, it should be 100% by tomorrow. I hate teeth pain.

Yep, Mr. Horty will have his own bed. He is getting to be very spoiled when it comes to sleeping and he's so long, when he stretches-out he's huge and takes-up a lot of space!!!!! I'll keep a towel on the bed so that all I have to do is shake it out daily and refresh it once or twice for the week.

He sleeps in our bed every night and I love it. He has a few weird habits like grooming himself before he goes to sleep [but a quick nudge from me reminds him to stop] and he occasionally will twitch his legs and cry in his sleep and I just have to say his name and give a few soothing words and he wakes and goes back to a peaceful sleep. Such a sweet, big boy!

I'm bringing some good books to read and a restful week will be had by both of us! ;)

Thanks, Cindy. I feel so much better today. I'm still afraid to eat on that side.....but, it should be 100% by tomorrow. I hate teeth pain.

Yep, Mr. Horty will have his own bed. He is getting to be very spoiled when it comes to sleeping and he's so long, when he stretches-out he's huge and takes-up a lot of space!!!!! I'll keep a towel on the bed so that all I have to do is shake it out daily and refresh it once or twice for the week.

He sleeps in our bed every night and I love it. He has a few weird habits like grooming himself before he goes to sleep [but a quick nudge from me reminds him to stop] and he occasionally will twitch his legs and cry in his sleep and I just have to say his name and give a few soothing words and he wakes and goes back to a peaceful sleep. Such a sweet, big boy!

I'm bringing some good books to read and a restful week will be had by both of us! ;)

We have a blanket for Wex too but he likes the pillow. I cannot even fit in the bed when he's there. Like Horty, he takes up alot of room. Miss Bailee was a howler at night. She would scare the crap out of you. Wex is usually pretty quiet, but pushy. Sometimes I go by the bedroom and Johns legs are hanging off the side of the bed cuz Wex insists on laying sideways across the bed. Rangeley was big on grooming himself, we used to call him kitty. I never see Wex grooming himself. The only thing he licks is ummmm... somewhere not so pleasant. I know tmi!

We have a blanket for Wex too but he likes the pillow. I cannot even fit in the bed when he's there. Like Horty, he takes up alot of room. Miss Bailee was a howler at night. She would scare the crap out of you. Wex is usually pretty quiet, but pushy. Sometimes I go by the bedroom and Johns legs are hanging off the side of the bed cuz Wex insists on laying sideways across the bed. Rangeley was big on grooming himself, we used to call him kitty. I never see Wex grooming himself. The only thing he licks is ummmm... somewhere not so pleasant. I know tmi!

Aren't they all so different but so much alike in so many ways.

Brenda is also like a "kitty"; she loves to clean her legs and paws and then will give a good cough because she's swollowed a huge fur ball. I wish she could clean her own ears.......I hate cleaning those Lab ears. And, they're both prone to ear infections. I was hoping to catch a break on my Successor Dog and not have to deal with ear problems but his ears are more than twice as big as hers and have more grooves and spaces to catch all the debris in the world.

The Vet told me that the Lab/Golden cross has more ear problems than the pure Lab because the Golden Retrievers have deeper/zig-zag like canals and the "stuff" can get lodged easier. Oh! Great!

You should see my supplies that I bring to work with me on a daily basis for cleaning Horton's ears. I could open an ear cleaning clinic.

Aren't they all so different but so much alike in so many ways.

Brenda is also like a "kitty"; she loves to clean her legs and paws and then will give a good cough because she's swollowed a huge fur ball. I wish she could clean her own ears.......I hate cleaning those Lab ears. And, they're both prone to ear infections. I was hoping to catch a break on my Successor Dog and not have to deal with ear problems but his ears are more than twice as big as hers and have more grooves and spaces to catch all the debris in the world.

The Vet told me that the Lab/Golden cross has more ear problems than the pure Lab because the Golden Retrievers have deeper/zig-zag like canals and the "stuff" can get lodged easier. Oh! Great!

You should see my supplies that I bring to work with me on a daily basis for cleaning Horton's ears. I could open an ear cleaning clinic.

Brenny has fur balls? :eek:

Oh great news to hear about the lab/goldens. Wex also has alot of ear problems. Our other 2 just had an occasional ear infection. Wex has a standing rx for ear stuff at the vet. I remember when we first had him in our room at CCI, I noticed his ear flap is very thick. I think this keeps the heat in and thats why all the ear problems. To bad they can't breed that out of him.

Remember I told you he was having leaking problems and we did a ton of tests on him. Well I changed to senior food (had him on light food) and it seems the leaking stopped. Hmmmmmmmm Not sure if that was the problem but the vet thinks it's possible. I do know that he was pooping everytime he went out and drinking alot more than he seems to be now. In 2 weeks he has his annual appointment and we are going to do another test to see if anything has changed.

Brenny has fur balls? :eek:

Oh great news to hear about the lab/goldens. Wex also has alot of ear problems. Our other 2 just had an occasional ear infection. Wex has a standing rx for ear stuff at the vet. I remember when we first had him in our room at CCI, I noticed his ear flap is very thick. I think this keeps the heat in and thats why all the ear problems. To bad they can't breed that out of him.

Remember I told you he was having leaking problems and we did a ton of tests on him. Well I changed to senior food (had him on light food) and it seems the leaking stopped. Hmmmmmmmm Not sure if that was the problem but the vet thinks it's possible. I do know that he was pooping everytime he went out and drinking alot more than he seems to be now. In 2 weeks he has his annual appointment and we are going to do another test to see if anything has changed.

Let us know how the Vet visit goes. I have a friend who keeps telling me that it's probably their food. My Vet doesn't seem to think so.

I know Labs have a lot of allergy problems......they're so worth whatever it takes to keep them healthy. I'm so lucky to be part of the CCI program and to have received one of their dogs.

I love my "fur-kids" and I can't imagine my life without them.

Roz: Ditto! But then again, I have a 9 year old grandson that has "ear potatoes" like crazy! I try and stay on top of it, but it never fails, I miss a day and bam! Ear buggers! I also clean them with either proxiode or alcohol. When he stayed with Auntie this summer she made the fatal mistake of trying to clean them with dry Q-tips, I guess Travis told her, my mom uses something on those, not DRY!. Needless to say, she asked me what I was using! Love them furkids and furbabies!

roz: Ditto! But then again, i have a 9 year old grandson that has "ear potatoes" like crazy! I try and stay on top of it, but it never fails, i miss a day and bam! Ear buggers! I also clean them with either proxiode or alcohol. When he stayed with auntie this summer she made the fatal mistake of trying to clean them with dry q-tips, i guess travis told her, my mom uses something on those, not dry!. Needless to say, she asked me what i was using! Love them furkids and furbabies!

:) ;)

Hello Friends!! I promise I have not forgotten all my cyber friends and I certainly enjoyed catching up over the past hour. My what we talk about on this thread...

A health update. It is now 8 1/2 weeks post transplant. We still have not been home, but Rich is making progress with the occasional back slide. We were gearing up for a discharge from rehab this Friday, but he had difficulty breathing and chest pain which sent him back to acute care world. So far infection and blood clots have been ruled out. Acute rejection is always a possibility and he will be checked for that tomorow. It is not as scary as it sounds, usually only involves a few days of high dose IV steroids. My brother came over and helped install some grab rails and hand rails into our house, in case we are still using a wheelchair. Might have to convert the living room to a bedroom until he can master stairs. Since we only have a powder room downstairs I told him I would take him to the deck and hose him off for a shower. He said if it works for "Mackey" it would work for him:D!.

Terri and I have been discovering the challenges of wheelchair accessability. We have both been getting stronger pushing the chair up some of the hills around the hospital. Rich is actually balancing on his own and walking further distances with a walker.

Despite the problems we are still ever grateful for this second chance at life. He was very sick before the transfer and I am not sure we would still have him with us had we not received the lungs when we did.

I am not sure we will be doing any of our long and exotic cruises on our list, but exploring more of the coastals. More for transplant issues. But, there are still some wonderful ones out there.

I worked with Mackey today and have been able to take him out last week as well. He is doing very well with his training. Selfishly I am glad that he is not going in this camp so I have some more time with him. I lost most of the summer.

Happy Cruising everyone. Thanks for all the support and prayers.

Warmest Wags, Karen

Hello Friends!! I promise I have not forgotten all my cyber friends and I certainly enjoyed catching up over the past hour. My what we talk about on this thread...

A health update. It is now 8 1/2 weeks post transplant. We still have not been home, but Rich is making progress with the occasional back slide. We were gearing up for a discharge from rehab this Friday, but he had difficulty breathing and chest pain which sent him back to acute care world. So far infection and blood clots have been ruled out. Acute rejection is always a possibility and he will be checked for that tomorow. It is not as scary as it sounds, usually only involves a few days of high dose IV steroids. My brother came over and helped install some grab rails and hand rails into our house, in case we are still using a wheelchair. Might have to convert the living room to a bedroom until he can master stairs. Since we only have a powder room downstairs I told him I would take him to the deck and hose him off for a shower. He said if it works for "Mackey" it would work for him:D!.

Terri and I have been discovering the challenges of wheelchair accessability. We have both been getting stronger pushing the chair up some of the hills around the hospital. Rich is actually balancing on his own and walking further distances with a walker.

Despite the problems we are still ever grateful for this second chance at life. He was very sick before the transfer and I am not sure we would still have him with us had we not received the lungs when we did.

I am not sure we will be doing any of our long and exotic cruises on our list, but exploring more of the coastals. More for transplant issues. But, there are still some wonderful ones out there.

I worked with Mackey today and have been able to take him out last week as well. He is doing very well with his training. Selfishly I am glad that he is not going in this camp so I have some more time with him. I lost most of the summer.

Warmest Wags, Karen

Karen, it's wonderful to hear from you. This is such a long road for you and your family. Rich has been through so much and is so lucky to have you. This is truly a long, long summer for all of you.

I continue to send my love and prayers for Rich's complete recovery.

I hope that you and Rich will be on that cruise to celebrate life, very soon.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Karen, thanks for the update. Glad Rich is doing good. Little set backs are expected (from what I hear) Sounds like he is on the right track.

My hubby is in the hospital. Lots of artery blockage. Getting an Angio Plasti done tomorrow for the heart artery. Then in a day or two, surgery for the lower extremities. Hopefully just a clean up of the previous by-pass and stent. If not then new by-pass. Definately not looking forward to any of it. The hospital is 2 hours away. Sent Trav home with auntie today. He will miss school, but out of my control. I am going to get some of his work, which he won't be able to do until he gets home, but at least he will have it.

Must go to bed.........

Warmest Wags, Karen

Karen, Thanks so much for the update on Rich. I think all of us here think about you two often and wish only the best for both of you. It's hard to care for someone in a wheelchair. I should know. There have been many times I've had to haul John over a curb or rough terrain. But life is full of challenges! :D

Cindy

Karen, thanks for the update. Glad Rich is doing good. Little set backs are expected (from what I hear) Sounds like he is on the right track.

My hubby is in the hospital. Lots of artery blockage. Getting an Angio Plasti done tomorrow for the heart artery. Then in a day or two, surgery for the lower extremities. Hopefully just a clean up of the previous by-pass and stent. If not then new by-pass. Definately not looking forward to any of it. The hospital is 2 hours away. Sent Trav home with auntie today. He will miss school, but out of my control. I am going to get some of his work, which he won't be able to do until he gets home, but at least he will have it.

Must go to bed.........

Aw Nancy, Sorry to hear about your hubby. I didn't know he has had heart problems. Hopefully he will be out of the hospital quickly. Please keep us updated.

Cindy

Mornin' all:

Cindy: Funny thing is, his blockage is actually in his legs. Had a femural to femural by-pass 17 yrs. ago. They have always commented on how his heart was clear. Didn't make sense, yada, yada. Now, the hospital he is in does more tests and discovers he does have one blocked artery to his heart. Theya are hoping Angio Plasti with clear that, that is scheduled today. We will go from there. He is in a very good mood, considering. I am the basket case this time. I guess because before I didn't have a clue what was really going on. Anyway, he told me when he gets all cleaned up I better watch out and keep up with him! He hasn't been able to walk over about 50' without his legs needing a rest, for years. I hope this all gets taken care of and we can move on.

Mornin' all:

Cindy: Funny thing is, his blockage is actually in his legs. Had a femural to femural by-pass 17 yrs. ago. They have always commented on how his heart was clear. Didn't make sense, yada, yada. Now, the hospital he is in does more tests and discovers he does have one blocked artery to his heart. Theya are hoping Angio Plasti with clear that, that is scheduled today. We will go from there. He is in a very good mood, considering. I am the basket case this time. I guess because before I didn't have a clue what was really going on. Anyway, he told me when he gets all cleaned up I better watch out and keep up with him! He hasn't been able to walk over about 50' without his legs needing a rest, for years. I hope this all gets taken care of and we can move on.

Maybe it was a blessing he went in the hospital since they found a blockage in his heart. It's great he is in a good mood, and you know to put on that happy face for him. :D John is always trying to chase me around the house, and he's pretty fast in that wheelchair. ;) Please keep us updated.

Cindy

Nancy, I'm so sorry to hear about your hubby. I hope that the procedures he's having will take care of his health issues and set him on the right path. He's definitely in my prayers, as are you. It's exhausting to be the caregiver. Take the time to take care of you, please!

I wish everyone who's celebrating Rosh Hashanah a happy and healthy New Year. And, I do mean "healthy!"

Roz, Are you sick? Teeth?

I took this week and a half off work and don't return until next thursday. I'm still on antibiotics for my teeth work done last week. My gums are still sore but not as swollen.

We have some day trips planned and it gives me plenty of time to get all my stuff done before cruising on Oct. 6th.

I'm already getting on Morey's nerves with my watching all the shows that I miss while at work, I think I'm driving him crazy. I'm loving it, him not so much! It's also fun to get to spend the days with Miss Brenny, although she does sleep most of the day. Every day with her is so precious! And Horton is such a lazy boy, he's sleeping right along with her.

So, I'll be writing from Morey's computer for the next week and a half.

Thanks for asking.

I took this week and a half off work and don't return until next thursday. I'm still on antibiotics for my teeth work done last week. My gums are still sore but not as swollen.

We have some day trips planned and it gives me plenty of time to get all my stuff done before cruising on Oct. 6th.

I'm already getting on Morey's nerves with my watching all the shows that I miss while at work, I think I'm driving him crazy. I'm loving it, him not so much! It's also fun to get to spend the days with Miss Brenny, although she does sleep most of the day. Every day with her is so precious! And Horton is such a lazy boy, he's sleeping right along with her.

Thanks for asking.

I thought something was up. Glad to hear you are ok. Pass along my sympathy to Morey. ;)

Mornin' all:

Roz: Hope the time off lets you find yourself relaxing and just doing what you want. I hope the teeth settle down. Nothing like annoying mouth problems.

Hubby had first procedure yesterday. His heart arteries were clean as a whistle. Doctor cannot understand it. But said (and I can't remember which way, too much info to absorb) but he is only getting 60% or 40% blood flow to his legs. No explaination since arteries are clear up there. So, doctor is hoping to just take the old stent out, clean that artery and I am not sure if he will put a new stent in or not. Change in life style, no smoking which hubby is on board with. He knows it is time. Then cut out the breads and pasta's :( and exercise. I am looking forward to it, maybe I can dropped a few hundred poundage! :eek: Not really that much, but it feels like it.

Everyone have a great day.

Thanks for asking.

Sounds like the week Morey should have gone on a cruise. :D

Okay, you guys! We live thousands of miles away from each other, only communicate through this thread and you all know me so well! :rolleyes:

I told Morey what you all said and he laughed. I'm a pain and he knows it!!!! Aint love grand! :p I'm trying not to be too much of a pain.

I took Horton on a long walk in the mall. It's so neat to be able to use the escalator and not have to hunt down an elevator. It took CCI way too long to teach this to our dogs, while Seeing Eye Dogs were always doing it. When I got home I took both dogs on a long walk around the neighborhood....Brenny's exhausted. Our weather in L.A. is still warm but not triple digits. It's still so humid....my most unfavorite condition.

Nancy, I'm so glad that hubby is on the road to better health. Giving up smoking is not easy but he'll be doing himself and his family a huge favor in the long run.

I miss work...a bit! :o By next week I'll be ready to go back but then ready to CRUISE!!!!! I'm getting so excited, everytime I think it's only weeks away!!!

Mornin' all:

Five hours of surgery yesterday, but hubby is fixed up as good as they can for now. I really like his doctor. He is insisting that hubby follow up with him. I think kinda like us ladies and mammograms, he wants to do tests to make sure everything is flowing correctly. He still has 2 blockages, both at about 50%, but with what they fixed doctor said they just couldn't do any more at this time, to must stress on his body. So we will see how no smoking, diet and exercise work. He is all for it, so I am ready to get him home. I didn't get home until 10:45 last night. 12 hours and my little honey Jezzy had no accidents. She is growing up to be quite the little angel I knew she could be. :)

Nancy