Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Oh another update, I believe some of you might remember the situation where I was evicted because Blitz was a German Shepherd. Never mind he was a "service dog" the complex "The Cambridge" owned by Arlington Properties out of Ga has offered to settle and I have accepted their offer. So thats over two years of stress and concerns finally resolved. So allot of my stress has finally gone away, since most of it was because of this wrongful eviction.

big_grin_smiley_face_sticker-p217746367994550126z85xz_400%255B1%255D.jpg

Oh another update, I believe some of you might remember the situation where I was evicted because Blitz was a German Shepherd. Never mind he was a "service dog" the complex "The Cambridge" owned by Arlington Properties out of Ga has offered to settle and I have accepted their offer. So thats over two years of stress and concerns finally resolved. So allot of my stress has finally gone away, since most of it was because of this wrongful eviction.

Did you actually move out of your apartment? Or, did you fight the eviction while still living there?

Congratulations on your win!

Did you actually move out of your apartment? Or, did you fight the eviction while still living there?

Congratulations on your win!

No they tossed me out on my rear and HUD said their hands were tied. HUD said they could do nothing about the eviction. HUD requested I be allowed to stay there; although its private property and all HUD could do is suggest it. It took over two years to get to this point; I am glad its finally over.

Congrats Jacko!!!!

Cindy, OMG! First, your Mom obviously trusts you FIRST. And, why not, you're a great decision maker and you get the job done. I hope she continues to do well.

I'm glad that everything came together for your hectic weekend. Although I love being busy, sometimes I love just doing NOTHING!

I totally agree with the "final payment" thing! It really takes a bite out of the budget but it's so worth it.

And, our weather here is still in the 90's with humidity......enough is enough already. I'm so ready for a change and so sick of the heat!!!!! :mad:

Good luck with the wart on Wex......these Labs are so bad for growing weird things. Brenda has had a fatty tumor for about 9 years now and I'm not going to touch it. I know Wexy will do well....give him a kiss from me.

Horty goes for his "pre-cruise" check up on Monday and we'll get all his paperwork then. I'm falling madly in love with this big-boy. He's so much taller than Brenda and I used to think that she was so big!!!! When they stand next to each other they're so cute!

Miss B had a fatty tumor under her armpit for years. And my Rebel had this growth ontop of his head. It looked exactly like a brain. Yuck!!

Miss B had a fatty tumor under her armpit for years. And my Rebel had this growth ontop of his head. It looked exactly like a brain. Yuck!!

Brenda's tumor is huge but hard to see because she's black. The doctor said that the Yellow Labs really show their growth's more. He also said that they're always benign and to remove them would mean putting her to sleep and risk her life.......no way, I'll live with it [she's not a show dog], although she'll always be the most preciously, beautiful dog in the world, to me! ;)

Hello all.

Apologies for butting in... been doing searches trying to find threads that talk about cruising to Cayman Islands with Service Dogs,

and NOT getting the International Health Certificate.

Can't find what I'm looking for!

My eyes are burning from staring at this computer screen, I can search no more!!!

I have taken my Service Dog to Grand Cayman before, so I know all about getting the IHC, and the permit GC issues (free for SD's, yeah Grand Cayman!).

Who I'd like to hear from, is someone that has taken their SD WITHOUT getting the IHC and stayed on the ship. Would this be tolerated by Grand Cayman authorities once we are in their waters?

Carnival will allow me to board in Galveston with rabies cert. and Health Cert..

Somewhere in the past, I have read (can't remember where and can't find it now) that Service Dog handlers have chosen not to get the IHC (due to expense & time constraints) since they did not intend to disembark in GC.

I booked a last min. cruise on the Carnival Magic for 7 Oct., so couldn't get an IHC if I wanted to, but don't want to go without my SD.

Hoping to hear from someone that has some experience with this situation.

Don't want to cause an international incident, but would like to see what I can find out here from someone with experience before I call their Ag. office.

Thanks all,

AJ & Angel :)

Hello all.

Apologies for butting in... been doing searches trying to find threads that talk about cruising to Cayman Islands with Service Dogs,

and NOT getting the International Health Certificate.

Can't find what I'm looking for!

My eyes are burning from staring at this computer screen, I can search no more!!!

I have taken my Service Dog to Grand Cayman before, so I know all about getting the IHC, and the permit GC issues (free for SD's, yeah Grand Cayman!).

Who I'd like to hear from, is someone that has taken their SD WITHOUT getting the IHC and stayed on the ship. Would this be tolerated by Grand Cayman authorities once we are in their waters?

Carnival will allow me to board in Galveston with rabies cert. and Health Cert..

Somewhere in the past, I have read (can't remember where and can't find it now) that Service Dog handlers have chosen not to get the IHC (due to expense & time constraints) since they did not intend to disembark in GC.

I booked a last min. cruise on the Carnival Magic for 7 Oct., so couldn't get an IHC if I wanted to, but don't want to go without my SD.

Hoping to hear from someone that has some experience with this situation.

Don't want to cause an international incident, but would like to see what I can find out here from someone with experience before I call their Ag. office.

Thanks all,

AJ & Angel :)

Welcome AJ and Angel,

No apologies for butting in, we are here to help anyone who wants to travel with their service dogs. We did not get off at Grand Cayman because the wheelchair cannot go on the tenders and we have a large dog. I hope you have already gotten a titre test done. They require that 6 months in advance. Also a rabies shot within a year of travel. Personally I do not think they will let you off without the IHC. We always get one, I think it's only 40 or 50 bucks from our vet.

Cindy

I hope you have already gotten a titre test done. They require that 6 months in advance. Also a rabies shot within a year of travel. Personally I do not think they will let you off without the IHC.

Cindy

Thank you Cindy for taking time to reply! Absolutely I know I can not get off of the ship without the IHC and titre. Since this was a late booking, there was no time to get the titre, hence no IHC would be possible.

I am happy staying on the ship I just love to cruise!

Did the port authorities in Grand Cayman board the ship to inspect your paperwork and examine your Service Dog even though you were not disembarking? I'm worried how they will handle the situation of me only having the rabies within a year and the normal HC.

I'm trying to find out if anyone has taken their dog without the IHC, I guess I assumed they wouldn't have gotten the titre if they weren't getting the IHC.

Curios, did GC issue you their permit with just the titre, I thought you had to have the IHC too?

Will check for more posts later today, have to run!

Thanks again!

AJ & Angel

:)

Thank you Cindy for taking time to reply! Absolutely I know I can not get off of the ship without the IHC and titre. Since this was a late booking, there was no time to get the titre, hence no IHC would be possible.

I am happy staying on the ship I just love to cruise!

Did the port authorities in Grand Cayman board the ship to inspect your paperwork and examine your Service Dog even though you were not disembarking? I'm worried how they will handle the situation of me only having the rabies within a year and the normal HC.

I'm trying to find out if anyone has taken their dog without the IHC, I guess I assumed they wouldn't have gotten the titre if they weren't getting the IHC.

Curios, did GC issue you their permit with just the titre, I thought you had to have the IHC too?

Will check for more posts later today, have to run!

Thanks again!

AJ & Angel

:)

I guess I don't understand why you cannot get the IHC anyway. The titre has nothing to do with the IHC. We call the vet and it takes no time at all to fill it out. I would think anytime you are going into international waters you would need the IHC. You would not be able to get off on any island without it. If you do not plan on getting off the ship anywhere then maybe thats different. I don't know.

We did not see anyone in GC since we were not getting off the ship. But some places you have to bring the dog down for the authorities anyway. We don't usually take our dog off if the island wants money. I love how they call it a "tip", when it's more like a bribe. Last year in Honduras they wanted 50.00 to take the dog off the ship, when we were only going to the shops at the port. My son stayed onboard with the dog and we got off for maybe 1/2 hour. We have also decided not to get off on Grand Turk for this cruise either. They want a titre (which we didn't have time for) a rabies which he is not due for and to be dewormed (which he doesn't have) and thats just to sit at the Margartias pool area at the dock. It's their loss since we won't be spending any money on their island.

Cindy

AJ & Angel: We love hearing from everyone who cruises with a Service Dog.

Are you going to be able to board the ship without an IHC? I have NEVER traveled or cruised, internationally, without one. If Carnival is allowing you to board without one, you will have no problems from Immigration in any country, as long as you stay onboard. Once the ship has accepted you, you belong to them and are their responsibility. Since you are not disembarking the ship you should be fine.

When is your cruise? If it's soon, have a wonderful time and don't worry about any officials boarding to examine your dog. Have all his immunization records ready and you should be fine.

I guess I don't understand why you cannot get the IHC anyway. The titre has nothing to do with the IHC.

Cindy

Thanks Cindy,

International Health Certificates are country specific. When the vet completes them, they have to follow a litany of requirements per the country you are traveling to.

Since I have gone to GC before, and corresponded directly with the Agriculture office, I know how rigid they are (pleasant people to talk to, just strict requirements for good reason).

The rabies titre is one of the requirements for the completion of the IHR, and Grand Cayman ONLY accepts titre test results from ONE lab in the US, University of Kansas! (unless that has changed from 3 years ago) Seems like there was a 6 month lead time on getting those results from that lab.

Grand Cayman also requires IHR to be certified by the USDA (costly and more bureaucracy!), for me USDA was in Austin, TX. They wanted to handle it through the mail, I was in a hurry and drove the distance to hand carry it through.

You have to be careful too, there is a list of countries if your dog has been to within 6 months of traveling to GC, you can't meet the requirements to get the health cert. or allowed access to their country! Mexico is one of those countries!

I had just been on a cruise that went to Cozumel prior to the GC trip, I was able to get a letter from the Captain of the ship stating that me and my service dog did not disembark in Mexico, that had to be presented to the inspectors in Grand Cayman before we disembarked.(2009)

11 more days and I'll be on the Carnival Magic...still not sure what I'm gonna do....

aj

Thanks Cindy,

International Health Certificates are country specific. When the vet completes them, they have to follow a litany of requirements per the country you are traveling to.

Since I have gone to GC before, and corresponded directly with the Agriculture office, I know how rigid they are (pleasant people to talk to, just strict requirements for good reason).

The rabies titre is one of the requirements for the completion of the IHR, and Grand Cayman ONLY accepts titre test results from ONE lab in the US, University of Kansas! (unless that has changed from 3 years ago) Seems like there was a 6 month lead time on getting those results from that lab.

Grand Cayman also requires IHR to be certified by the USDA (costly and more bureaucracy!), for me USDA was in Austin, TX. They wanted to handle it through the mail, I was in a hurry and drove the distance to hand carry it through.

You have to be careful too, there is a list of countries if your dog has been to within 6 months of traveling to GC, you can't meet the requirements to get the health cert. or allowed access to their country! Mexico is one of those countries!

I had just been on a cruise that went to Cozumel prior to the GC trip, I was able to get a letter from the Captain of the ship stating that me and my service dog did not disembark in Mexico, that had to be presented to the inspectors in Grand Cayman before we disembarked.(2009)

11 more days and I'll be on the Carnival Magic...still not sure what I'm gonna do....

aj

Sounds like you know exactly what your going to do.......Have a great time, stay onboard and enjoy the ship. What's wrong with that? I love enjoying the ship with my dog while everyone else is scampering around looking for taxi's, buses, tour groups, etc. ;)

Well another heat wave has hit......we're now looking at 98 with high humidity and expecting to get up to 104 by Wednesday. Enough already! I'm cooked!

Our air conditioning is running non-stop. And, our city father's want to raise our electric bills, here in L.A. What the heck!!!!! :mad:

I can't wait to get out on the ocean and have those cool sea breezes hit me in the face.....

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I'm going to start packing Horton's suitcase for our cruise, next Saturday.

We are hot, again, too. Yuck. However, this morning it is almost chilly.

Roz: Pack on Woman! You are going to have such a good time with the Horty Man. Brenny is probably saying "Go ahead, Momma, take the big galute so Papa and I can have some peace and quiet." Once you go, I am sure she will miss him. She will probably be looking around the house for both of you. Does she go in the car any more? I wonder if she misses the car rides and the going bye-bye at all?

Everyone have a nice day.

Wow 104? Yuck!!!! We are having a rainy damp weekend but atleast it's cool out. We are having nice fall weather. I'm glad the heat is over.

Nancy, How is hubby doing?

Any word from Sunshine?

Wex has to have his cyst on his ear removed. They have to knock him out to do it :( I'm so sick of everyone petting him and telling us he has a tick. The vet is on vacation for a few weeks so we will wait til she comes back.

Cindy

We are hot, again, too. Yuck. However, this morning it is almost chilly.

Roz: Pack on Woman! You are going to have such a good time with the Horty Man. Brenny is probably saying "Go ahead, Momma, take the big galute so Papa and I can have some peace and quiet." Once you go, I am sure she will miss him. She will probably be looking around the house for both of you. Does she go in the car any more? I wonder if she misses the car rides and the going bye-bye at all?

Everyone have a nice day.

Thanks so much Nancy. Brenda is going with us to the groomers on Tuesday [she's got to get her fancy, colored feather.] She needs a ramp to get into and out of the back of my SUV. Horton goes into the back seat [he steps onto the back seat, using a little bit of energy.] But, first he has to sniff the running board, the door, and the seat.

Brenda had to literally jump from the outside to the back seat, she absolutely refused to jump into the car when she hit 10 years. I found the ramp in the Drs. Fosters & Smith catalogue. She's still a great traveler in the car but is pretty tired when were done. She loves to go with us but I don't put too many demands on her anymore. She's a retired lady and watches us from her couch as we go off to work.

We treat her like the "Grand-Ole Girl" that she is!!!! ;)

Wow 104? Yuck!!!! We are having a rainy damp weekend but atleast it's cool out. We are having nice fall weather. I'm glad the heat is over.

Nancy, How is hubby doing?

Any word from Sunshine?

Wex has to have his cyst on his ear removed. They have to knock him out to do it :( I'm so sick of everyone petting him and telling us he has a tick. The vet is on vacation for a few weeks so we will wait til she comes back.

Cindy

I would love to see the first signs of Autumn. It doesn't exist anymore!

Sunshine's hubby had his release from rehab delayed because of some fluid in his lungs. Hopefully, by this writing he's on his way. It's a miracle what can be done medically today. It's been over two month's in the hospital and away from home. It's been very stressful, I'm sure. I wish them well and hope that their lives will be normal again, very soon.

Poor Wexy. I hope it goes well for him. I hate when the public makes comments about my dog. I used to always get questions about Brenda's fatty tumor [which is near her rib cage and so noticeable.] Then, I always felt like I had to explain what it was. One of the not so good things that happen when we go into the public venue - Questions, questions, questions!

I loved cruising with Sunshine; she handled all the questions people would ask and I was able to move right along and she made a dozen new friends.

Cindy: Hubby is doing very well. We went for Dr.'s appt yesterday, yes on a Saturday. Good thing I called her back about the appt next week, because the Saturday one just flew right by me! It was with the ultra sound tech. He just made sure there was a pulse. Now back on Wednesday, this week and then Tuesday on next week. The one on Tuesday is because that dr. was not open this week. :mad: So now another trip. Not so bad, but it is 2 hours each way and hubby is very uncomfortable sitting in that position. He did put the seat back down some, but still not real comfortable for him.

Roz: We also had a ramp for Renie, that I got from Drs. Foster and Smith. I gave it to a young man, at the RV campground, that had 2 huge great danes that just looked uncordinated getting in and out of their trailer. He was very appreciative and I am sure the "boys" were too!

Bit of Trivia. While I was waiting in the drs office for hubby, I was thumbing through magazines. You know, you really don't look at them because you know just as soon as you get involved they will come and get you. Anyway, it is "Palm Springs Life" magazine and one of the headlines is "Cutest Pets" photo contest, so of course I looked at this one a little closer. Well, low and behold there is an article on Amazing Dogs with Jobs. There is a whole page on Guide Dogs of the Desert and GUESS WHO is in the photo? GREG, the little yellow lab that Cruising with Denver taught basic obedience and socialization too! I was so excited. I haven't had a chance to write to her on facebook, but am going there next!:D

Cindy: Hubby is doing very well. We went for Dr.'s appt yesterday, yes on a Saturday. Good thing I called her back about the appt next week, because the Saturday one just flew right by me! It was with the ultra sound tech. He just made sure there was a pulse. Now back on Wednesday, this week and then Tuesday on next week. The one on Tuesday is because that dr. was not open this week. :mad: So now another trip. Not so bad, but it is 2 hours each way and hubby is very uncomfortable sitting in that position. He did put the seat back down some, but still not real comfortable for him.

Roz: We also had a ramp for Renie, that I got from Drs. Foster and Smith. I gave it to a young man, at the RV campground, that had 2 huge great danes that just looked uncordinated getting in and out of their trailer. He was very appreciative and I am sure the "boys" were too!

Bit of Trivia. While I was waiting in the drs office for hubby, I was thumbing through magazines. You know, you really don't look at them because you know just as soon as you get involved they will come and get you. Anyway, it is "Palm Springs Life" magazine and one of the headlines is "Cutest Pets" photo contest, so of course I looked at this one a little closer. Well, low and behold there is an article on Amazing Dogs with Jobs. There is a whole page on Guide Dogs of the Desert and GUESS WHO is in the photo? GREG, the little yellow lab that Cruising with Denver taught basic obedience and socialization too! I was so excited. I haven't had a chance to write to her on facebook, but am going there next!:D

Nancy, Morey likes his seat leaning back while we're on road trips and even when we're driving around town. He says it's easier on his hips.

You were very nice to give the ramp to those folks. I really like ours.

"Denver Sees 4 Me" is Cari. She's amazing with seeing eye dogs. She's like a "Dog Whisperer." She uses such a gentle voice and the dogs respond so well to her. We were lucky to meet and have dinner with Cari and Denver. Love her!

You guys have to head over to the main Royal Caribbean Board and read a thread called Dick the Dog.... There's a lot of talk going on about SD in general... Maybe a good chance to educate a few people!

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

Edited by Beth C

You guys have to head over to the main Royal Caribbean Board and read a thread called Dick the Dog.... There's a lot of talk going on about SD in general... Maybe a good chance to educate a few people!

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

Beth, I didn't read every entry but I did encourage them to come over to this blog and ask all their good questions.

I totally understand why a lot of folks are suspicious when they see a Service Dog with someone who is NOT blind; is NOT in a wheelchair and who looks perfectly normal. I loved it when my friend Karen [who is a puppyraiser] came with me on a cruise. She deflected a lot of questions that my fellow cruisers had and am always stopped for.

I've even had some angry-toned people who thought I was sneaking my "pet" onboard with me. Because I put fancy collars on my dog and enjoy seeing him looking handsome, it lends to people's concerns.

Going through life with a Service/Working Dog is a lot of extra work but what my dog does for me makes my life more full and complete. Enjoying my dog, while working with me, is part of what makes it all so worth while and more enjoyable.

Remember, there are dogs who assist and alert for the blind, deaf, mobility issues, blood pressure, diabetes and seizures.

Life saving and inspiring.

Hi guys. I was reading a similar post on the carnival page and imagine my shock when I saw my dear dear valentine with dh getting on the elevator. They wont even leave her alone after she has left this world. I did want to let you know that I'm still here and reading every day and prayers to all who have been ill or lost a furry Ba y as I did. Much love to all as I contuse to grieve.

Aww Barbara, I am sorry you had to see that. I want to go shove their camera where the sun doesn't shine. I do not like ignorant people. Bless little Valentine's heart. I hate that you have to be reminded of her in a negative manner. I want to make it all go away for you. I am glad you are still reading with us. If we can help in any way to make your pain any lighter, just let us know. Even if it is to vent on how other make you feel. We have some pretty big and tuff shoulders around here.