Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

OMG Roz! TMI is right! LOL

John is better today. The doctor informed him last night that he DID have diverticulitis but they are only going to treat it with diet at this time. I sat here and watched him have gatorade and broth yesterday. I felt so bad eating my chicken florentina from the italian place down the street. He finally had some chicken and rice soup and an english muffin later last night. I looked up a diet on the internet so tonight I will make chilean sea bass cuz it said fish and poultry were good things to eat. He can also have mashed potatos and carrots, so he will be happy.

I wrote to Grand Turk the other day to find out what we needed for paperwork for the dog. They sent me a 5 page health certificate form and another form that is shorter but is kind of the same questions as the 5 page one. The form is actually called "international health certificate for dogs and cats from the US and Canada". OMG! Why isn't our health form enough. It asks for the same info.It says the dog should be treated for parasites14 days before we go. Why would we treat him for something he does not have? It also wants a titre test done "sometime in it's lifetime". It also looks like they want a USDA seal which we will have to drive 2 hours to get. They also want the "originals" to all the tests and paperwork. It has to be filled out by the vet no more that 7 days before the trip so I guess they do not want the form back til we get there. UGH. We are only going to the Margaritaville/poolarea at the dock. You would think with a service dog that they would know it's not just some mutt with rabies. Ok I'm done ranting.

I sent you the forms Roz, check them out.

One more rant. They also want a rabies vac done not less that 3 months before we go. So that gives me a week to get him there and get the shot.

When you drive to the USDA Vet for all the paperwork have him attach a letter of the necessary immuizations for a dog Wex's age. Make sure he mentions Wex's skin and coat condition. Also that NO parasites were seen and that Wex is on Heartguard and Advantix. It made a huge difference with the officers in Brazil and Mexico [who wanted me to get a titer and another Rabies shot for Brenda] and my Vet wouldn't do it. [His letter stating what was really necessary along with a strong report on Brenda's health, and his USDA Seal worked.]

A lot of people will bring in a sick dog [pet] and claim it's a Service Dog and these foreign countries don't really know how to weed them out. So they demand all kinds of unecessary testing for our dogs. A knowledgeable Vet knows exactly what to do to appease their over-zealous requirements.

OK I feel better now. I hope everyone has a great weekend. We are going to our nephews football game tomorrow. He's a coach and him and his brand new wife just had a miscarriage this week so we want to see her. Then we are just veggitating for the rest of the weekend. John officially starts school Monday. Then the next 3 weekends a booked. Family reunion on the 8th, Town day on the 15th. (John is on the disability committee so we have to go) and the ADA 40th anniversary on the 22nd. Whew I'm tired already :D

Do you have a Social Secretary? When do you rest? It all sounds like great fun. Enjoy!

When you drive to the USDA Vet for all the paperwork have him attach a letter of the necessary immuizations for a dog Wex's age. Make sure he mentions Wex's skin and coat condition. Also that NO parasites were seen and that Wex is on Heartguard and Advantix. It made a huge difference with the officers in Brazil and Mexico [who wanted me to get a titer and another Rabies shot for Brenda] and my Vet wouldn't do it. [His letter stating what was really necessary along with a strong report on Brenda's health, and his USDA Seal worked.]

A lot of people will bring in a sick dog [pet] and claim it's a Service Dog and these foreign countries don't really know how to weed them out. So they demand all kinds of unecessary testing for our dogs. A knowledgeable Vet knows exactly what to do to appease their over-zealous requirements.

Maybe I will just stay on the ship that day. I don't mind doing paperwork but I'm not going pay for unnescessary tests and extra rabies shots. As George Bush would say "not gonna do it" :D

Maybe you would be interested in the job?

What's it pay? We would have so much fun together......I'm afraid for our men.....they'd never see us and our dogs, well, they'd love it!!!!!

I'm warning you, I'm very playful and don't take much _ _ _ _ from anyone! Although, I am very sensitive and do need to be hugged periodically! Are YOU up for the job? Oh! Wait! I'm the employee.....see, I'm such a "control-freak", I already turned it around and I'm now doing the hiring.......TEE-HEE!

Have a wonderful weekend dear friend!

I guess I should clarify the "close the thread" comment. CC would close this one, have it still available for reading only and open a new thread, continuing us. The reason is, these large threads suck the life out of the computer opening it up. Someone else commented (I hadn't noticed until it was mentioned) that the site has been running much better since they "cleaned" house last time. Like I said, they will immediately open another thread and we can continue on as if nothing happened. It would only require looking back at this thread for information. That would be the tricky part of closing it. But we have such a great leader that knows what i's have to be dotted and what t's have to be crossed and is so gracious to repeat the info as many times as she has too. (Hugs Roz!)

Cindy: I am 58. On top of every thing else, we started making our salads with Romaine lettuce. Well they did a big recall and the manufacture was the same brand we buy :eek: The good part (if there is one) it was for single packages (heads) what do you call romaine lettuce? Not really a head. Anyway, the packages I buy are either 3 or 5 pack. Now, hubby said he was hanging out in the bathroom, yesterday. Wouldn't our men kill us if they knew we were posting such personal info on a message board? LOL. I couldn't care less, it is part of life, everyone does it and it all STINKS! LOLOLOLO:o

Trudy, promise to save some Wex, Cindy and John for me. I adore these guys [and dog] in cyber-space.....and, can only hope to get in my true-life hugs one day![/B]

Roz- I will save some hugs for you, when I meet Wex, Cindy and John. Someday we might meet also. Hope your cruises are wonderful.

Maybe I will just stay on the ship that day. I don't mind doing paperwork but I'm not going pay for unnescessary tests and extra rabies shots. As George Bush would say "not gonna do it" :D

Remember Cindy----I can Wex sit for you. We can take turns going off the ship. There were so many people by the pool last time that we went to the beach area instead and just sat under the palm trees.

Glad to hear that John is doing better. Hope that you are feeling better also.

Do you mind if I bring a cookie for Wex?

Have a great weekend everyone.

I guess I should clarify the "close the thread" comment. CC would close this one, have it still available for reading only and open a new thread, continuing us. The reason is, these large threads suck the life out of the computer opening it up. Someone else commented (I hadn't noticed until it was mentioned) that the site has been running much better since they "cleaned" house last time. Like I said, they will immediately open another thread and we can continue on as if nothing happened. It would only require looking back at this thread for information. That would be the tricky part of closing it. But we have such a great leader that knows what i's have to be dotted and what t's have to be crossed and is so gracious to repeat the info as many times as she has too. (Hugs Roz!)

Hugs right back at you, Nancy! ;)

What's it pay? We would have so much fun together......I'm afraid for our men.....they'd never see us and our dogs, well, they'd love it!!!!!

I'm warning you, I'm very playful and don't take much _ _ _ _ from anyone! Although, I am very sensitive and do need to be hugged periodically! Are YOU up for the job? Oh! Wait! I'm the employee.....see, I'm such a "control-freak", I already turned it around and I'm now doing the hiring.......TEE-HEE!

Have a wonderful weekend dear friend!

I quit! :eek:

Cindy: I am 58. On top of every thing else, we started making our salads with Romaine lettuce. Well they did a big recall and the manufacture was the same brand we buy :eek: The good part (if there is one) it was for single packages (heads) what do you call romaine lettuce? Not really a head. Anyway, the packages I buy are either 3 or 5 pack. Now, hubby said he was hanging out in the bathroom, yesterday. Wouldn't our men kill us if they knew we were posting such personal info on a message board? LOL. I couldn't care less, it is part of life, everyone does it and it all STINKS! LOLOLOLO:o

Thanks for clarifying about this thread. I think we were all about to panic. :eek: What would we do without Roz? She is just full of.....ummm information. :D

Well Nancy I always thought you were probably in your 40's, but I was wrong. John is also 58, I am 51. All these food recalls are scary. I don't like it, best to buy local produce if you can. But what grows in Arizona?:eek:

Remember Cindy----I can Wex sit for you. We can take turns going off the ship. There were so many people by the pool last time that we went to the beach area instead and just sat under the palm trees.

Glad to hear that John is doing better. Hope that you are feeling better also.

Do you mind if I bring a cookie for Wex?

Have a great weekend everyone.

Thanks for the offer Trudy, but maybe you should meet Wex first! :eek:

We are both feeling good right now (knocking on wood). John is starting school tuesday and it's a miracle if he can get through the year without catching something from those little ones.

You may bring Wexler a cookie. But just warning you he will think you have one everytime you meet after that. LOL

If only it were that easy! To quit me, I mean. :p:p

Is everybody as sick of the hot summer as I am......I need some fall weather, my friends! And, it can't come to soon!

Happy Labor Day, All!

I can't quit you? Now I'm scared :confused:

I am so tired of being hot! :( The last few nights I have slept with the window fan in. Ahhhhhhhh it's been nice. We have the hottest apartment in the world, so if I can use the window fan it must be nice.

Thanks for the offer Trudy, but maybe you should meet Wex first! :eek:

We are both feeling good right now (knocking on wood). John is starting school tuesday and it's a miracle if he can get through the year without catching something from those little ones.

You may bring Wexler a cookie. But just warning you he will think you have one everytime you meet after that. LOL

I think Wex and I will get along just fine. I carry cookies for the dogs around here, but, they are very small. :D

Glad that John is back to work--------I worked as a teachers aide and I know how those little ones can share things.;)

I think Wex and I will get along just fine. I carry cookies for the dogs around here, but, they are very small. :D

Glad that John is back to work--------I worked as a teachers aide and I know how those little ones can share things.;)

We have the smallest cookies too. We get these ginger bears from Petco. They look like teddy grahams. Actually our neighbors friend was munching on them one night til he was told they were for the dog. :eek: He gets alot of cookies during the day so we make sure they are small or he'd be huge!!

We have the smallest cookies too. We get these ginger bears from Petco. They look like teddy grahams. Actually our neighbors friend was munching on them one night til he was told they were for the dog. :eek: He gets alot of cookies during the day so we make sure they are small or he'd be huge!!

That reminds me: When I first brought Brenda home Morey wanted to see what her food tasted like....at the time it was Eukanuba Lamb and Rice kibble. So, he proceeded to nibble on one......YUCK!!!!! That's what he said, "this is the worst tasting stuff!"

She's now on Eukanuba Senior Maintenance 7+ and I'm sure it's still yucky!

Two weekends ago we went out to the first day of the U.S. Open in NY. We were there with a bunch of CCI puppy raisers and folks with service dogs. It was an informal awareness. We were lucky enough to have some pictures taken with some tennis pros. But this was the best picture of the day.

pup2.jpg

Two weekends ago we went out to the first day of the U.S. Open in NY. We were there with a bunch of CCI puppy raisers and folks with service dogs. It was an informal awareness. We were lucky enough to have some pictures taken with some tennis pros. But this was the best picture of the day.

pup2.jpg

Oh! So cute!!!!! One day he'll make someone's world so complete......I'm sure he's keeping yours very busy! Thanks for sharing him with us.

pup2.jpg

OMG He is beautiful!!!

I wrote to Grand Turk the other day to find out what we needed for paperwork for the dog. They sent me a 5 page health certificate form and another form that is shorter but is kind of the same questions as the 5 page one. The form is actually called "international health certificate for dogs and cats from the US and Canada". OMG! Why isn't our health form enough. It asks for the same info.It says the dog should be treated for parasites14 days before we go. Why would we treat him for something he does not have? It also wants a titre test done "sometime in it's lifetime". It also looks like they want a USDA seal which we will have to drive 2 hours to get. They also want the "originals" to all the tests and paperwork. It has to be filled out by the vet no more that 7 days before the trip so I guess they do not want the form back til we get there. UGH. We are only going to the Margaritaville/poolarea at the dock. You would think with a service dog that they would know it's not just some mutt with rabies. Ok I'm done ranting.

I can't recall if you are the one who went to Grand Turk before that I gave the info. on who to write to to. Ask them any questions you have and ask for exemptions from the fees, rabies titer, etc. Note that you will need to print out the reply of any exemptions they give you and bring it with you to the USDA office so you have the proof for them, otherwise they may not endorse the certificate because it won't fit the normal requirements for Grand Turk.

One more rant. They also want a rabies vac done not less that 3 months before we go. So that gives me a week to get him there and get the shot.

You do realize "less" means you can't give it the three months prior to the trip, NOT that it has to be done during the three months prior to the trip, right? If they wanted it done within the three months, it would say "more than". So, his current vaccine should still be valid unless it is going to expire the three months before your trip or any of the countries refuse to accept the three-year vaccine and it will be more than one year when your trip happens. No country accepts it done within the month before the trip.

If you do need to do a rabies titer, be aware that you can't do it until at least 30 days have passed after the vaccine was given and it may take up to a month for the results to arrive, depending how busy they are. If you're an IAADP member, I believe they still have a discount for KSU rabies titers as well as give you priority in order of the test being done. Bring the IAADP info. to the vet with you, as they likely will have no clue how to do the discount and give you priority status.

The USDA vet doesn't see the dog at all, they just look at the paperwork in their office (which the secretary at the front desk brings back to them) and make sure it is in order. Then they endorse the paperwork with a stamp/seal and give it back to the secretary, who then brings it back to the front to give to you. They tell people not to bring their pets to their offices, but of course service dogs are allowed with you as you sit in the waiting room.

So, the USDA vet is not going to write a letter about a dog they have never seen, much less examined. Whatever info. you need for each country needs to be written on the health certificate by your dog's vet, who has examined the dog at that time and has a record of vaccination, titers, etc.

That photo was adorable! It looks like he is trying sooooo hard to be good and not go after that tennis ball! :D

The USDA vet doesn't see the dog at all, they just look at the paperwork in their office (which the secretary at the front desk brings back to them) and make sure it is in order. Then they endorse the paperwork with a stamp/seal and give it back to the secretary, who then brings it back to the front to give to you. They tell people not to bring their pets to their offices, but of course service dogs are allowed with you as you sit in the waiting room.

So, the USDA vet is not going to write a letter about a dog they have never seen, much less examined. Whatever info. you need for each country needs to be written on the health certificate by your dog's vet, who has examined the dog at that time and has a record of vaccination, titers, etc.

Quam: Brenda and Horton's doctor is a USDA Accredited and Certified Vet; he's "hands on"; he examines my dogs, he fills out the paperwork, along with a letter stipulating my dogs are chipped [he did the chipping], skin/coat and general health. He writes about their useage of Heartguard & Advantix. CCI gives me the paperwork with all my dogs medical history [if it's within the first three years of my having the dog, otherwise my Vet supplies this], including spay & neutering, cert. of all vaccines and and Heartworm antigen. He has an assistant who walks with him and writes down what he stipulates.

Of course he writes about my dogs because he's the Vet who sees them.