Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

113 with the heat index here. At least that's what I've read. We've been in all day with the blinds drawn, lights off, and ceiling fans whirring. I've been trying to unpack. So unmotivated to do so...

I sent a long letter to Carnival yesterday outlining our access problems and concerns. I hope that our problem can help someone else avoid a similar problem in the future.

Hopefully, you'll save someone else, who boards a Carnival ship, with a Service Dog, not to have to go through all the headaches you went through!

I am so excited about the Service Dog advocacy that's going on at CCI right now. They're trying to close down the websites that sell all the phony Service Dog vests, badges, ID's, etc. and get a registry going so that folks who buy and sell this stuff can be tagged and then stopped.

If enough of us call these people "out" when we come across them in the supermarkets, restaurants and cruises they'll have to stop.

It's one thing to see a "FiFi" being paraded around as a Service Dog and another to see it poop, pee, bark, growl and nip at other people in the public venue.

I will confront folks if I see this being done and I won't be nice about it!!!

I have a neighbor who is renting a house near us and told the owner that she has a dog that warns her before she has a "melt-down!" The dog is a Yorkie and barks and nips at Horton really well. Maybe barking and nipping are part of the dogs "alerting" process...far be it for me to judge?

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I am so excited about the Service Dog advocacy that's going on at CCI right now. They're trying to close down the websites that sell all the phony Service Dog vests, badges, ID's, etc. and get a registry going so that folks who buy and sell this stuff can be tagged and then stopped.

If enough of us call these people "out" when we come across them in the supermarkets, restaurants and cruises they'll have to stop.

It's one thing to see a "FiFi" being paraded around as a Service Dog and another to see it poop, pee, bark, growl and nip at other people in the public venue.

I have a neighbor who is renting a house near us and told the owner that she has a dog that warns her before she has a "melt-down!" The dog is a Yorkie and barks and nips at Horton really well. Maybe barking and nipping are part of the dogs "alerting" process...far be it for me to judge?

What are the different colors of the vests for the service dogs? I saw a blue vest in a small poodle type dog the other day. I know that while in training the vests are green. Any information would be helpful. Thanks Susan

What are the different colors of the vests for the service dogs? I saw a blue vest in a small poodle type dog the other day. I know that while in training the vests are green. Any information would be helpful. Thanks Susan

It depends on the organization. Some use yellow, some use green, some use a mix of colors. The name of the organization that formally trained and graduated the dog and handler, or the name of the organization that has given the pup to a Puppyraiser will make sure that their name or logo of their organization is somewhere on the vest or cape.

Canine Companions for Independence uses a blue & yellow vest with their logo and full name monogrammed on both sides of their vest. You may also see such tags on the vest as: PLEASE DO NOT PET or HEARING DOG or WORKING DOG or SERVICE DOG or nothing but the logo and CCI name.

WHAT???? See if they had a registry, the landlord could look up and see if this dog was a real service dog. :mad:

Puppies-in-training wear a yellow cape with blue trim, with the CCI Logo. Because CCI has their own breeding program, even their breeders wear capes that identify who they are.

Hello Nancy

I think we're all too hot to do too much!! We are having hot weather that we are just not used to right now .... Any chore really is a chore today, so I've just made a nice cool drink and sat down and am watching for the latest news of our soon to arrive Royal Baby!

Dogs flaked out in their usual afternoon activity of snoring and lolling about on "their" sofa! :D

Ice-cream anyone???? LOL!

Hi All,

What a weekend....first it was the 100th day of Morey's passing, on Sunday. I had asked my doctor; when will I stop crying every day? She said, "after 100 days!" I know she only said that to give me some kind of answer but it was what I needed to hear, at the time. She then said to mark off my calendar 100 days and yesterday was it.

And, then my Brenda had a horrible weekend. She suddenly couldn't walk.....she couldn't get up on her couch, she couldn't walk to go potty and she couldn't get water. It was so hard. I carried her [all 60lbs of her] to everything. I massaged her hip and back and layed on the floor with her; talking and crying and crying and talking to her. I encouraged her to get up and try to walk [with my help.] She hobbled around the house for a while and I walked with her, slowly, ever so slowly.

The thoughts running around my head of letting her go were overwhelming for me!

By the end of the day, yesterday, she was walking around the house, going potty, eating, drinking and even going up on her couch. She would have an occasional heavy breathing moment and I went over and sat with her, massaging her to sleep.

We are coming to the end of a most amazingly, beautiful life and I know it. I won't be selfish to allow her to be in pain but I'm going to stretch it out as much as I can, for as long as I can. She had a good breakfast this morning, she went potty and my neighbor is going to check-in on her this afternoon.

Any encouraging words will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Roz,

We went through the same thing last May with our pet Lab, Magic. You are the only one who will know when enough is enough. Or in our case, Magic made the choice herself. She went peacefully in my wife's arms. My heart goes out to you at this time.

Thank you for telling me this.

I pray that she'll go easily, in her sleep. I won't put her through any craziness or heroic measures at the doctor's office. It's not necessary to put her through that. Besides she hates, hates, hates the doctor's office. For absolutely no reason. She trembles like a captive bird when she's there and I can't stand to see it!!!!! I think it's the smells, etc.

Her doctor's office will do euthanasia at home so she never has to leave her couch, and then I will call S.O.P.H.I.E. [save our Pets History in Eternity], who will come, pick her up to be cremated and she'll be with me forever.

I'm sorry to talk about this with you but it makes it all easier for me if I talk [write] it out!!! And, of course, go over it one million times in my head!!!!! And, YOU guys are my "go-to" cyber friends when it comes to my furbabies [i hate that explanation of who Brenda & Horton are], if you have a better identity for our dogs please share it.

Hi All,

What a weekend....first it was the 100th day of Morey's passing, on Sunday. I had asked my doctor; when will I stop crying every day? She said, "after 100 days!" I know she only said that to give me some kind of answer but it was what I needed to hear, at the time. She then said to mark off my calendar 100 days and yesterday was it.

And, then my Brenda had a horrible weekend. She suddenly couldn't walk.....she couldn't get up on her couch, she couldn't walk to go potty and she couldn't get water. It was so hard. I carried her [all 60lbs of her] to everything. I massaged her hip and back and layed on the floor with her; talking and crying and crying and talking to her. I encouraged her to get up and try to walk [with my help.] She hobbled around the house for a while and I walked with her, slowly, ever so slowly.

The thoughts running around my head of letting her go were overwhelming for me!

By the end of the day, yesterday, she was walking around the house, going potty, eating, drinking and even going up on her couch. She would have an occasional heavy breathing moment and I went over and sat with her, massaging her to sleep.

We are coming to the end of a most amazingly, beautiful life and I know it. I won't be selfish to allow her to be in pain but I'm going to stretch it out as much as I can, for as long as I can. She had a good breakfast this morning, she went potty and my neighbor is going to check-in on her this afternoon.

Any encouraging words will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

I am sure you will do EVERYTHING you possibly can for your dear Brenda ... Sending you lots of hugs to you, and Miss B and Mr H ..... We are here for you and can feel your pain Roz, it has touched all our hearts at some point in losing our precious doggy pals .... We do love them so much, it just becomes unbearable ...... Hmmm .... Take care and please give Miss B (and Mr H of course) a very special hug from me. :).

The last time we had to let one of ours "go", the vet came to the house, I would have had it no other way, and he was such a young chap, but so caring, of me and our darling girl. When it is time, You will know and take some comfort that she had a blessed life with the blonde with the big hair and her Pops.

Edited by fairbourne

I am sure you will do EVERYTHING you possibly can for your dear Brenda ... Sending you lots of hugs to you, and Miss B and Mr H ..... We are here for you and can feel your pain Roz, it has touched all our hearts at some point in losing our precious doggy pals .... We do love them so much, it just becomes unbearable ...... Hmmm .... Take care and please give Miss B (and Mr H of course) a very special hug from me. :).

The last time we had to let one of ours "go", the vet came to the house, I would have had it no other way, and he was such a young chap, but so caring, of me and our darling girl. When it is time, You will know and take some comfort that she had a blessed life with the blonde with the big hair and her Pops.

YOU are such a great person. Your words are so soothing and right-on!!!! I love having you as my friend and thank you so much for your insights and remarkable words.

Oh! My! It seems my life has turned into a daytime soap opera. Drama galore!!!!

Sorry!!!!

In your opinion, is it our job to make sure Carnival does its job and makes the necessary arrangements. Shouldn't my husband's ticket been "flagged" or "tagged" with service dog? When we fly, Southwest has his ticket flagged. I don't understand why this was not the case with Carnival. Thoughts?

Yes, Carnival should have given the tour company that info. You didn't have any way to contact them yourself! Carnival is to blame. They knew you were taking the dog off the ship since you had the import permit, not to mention it should always be assumed the dog is with the handler. Did they reimburse you for the taxi?

I've only done third-party excursions, no cruiseline ones, so haven't come across this issue. Usually third-party excursions are cheaper, plus you can customize them, too. I do tell them (or have the group leader I'm with tell them, since she set the tours up) in advance about my service dog if there is no access law in their country.

Wheeww, Big Sis, with the Big Hair. Through tears I will try and write something profound to comfort you. Ms. Brenny has had the bestest life ever. She was your constant companion for many good years. She is a bit "Snooty" from your description or would "Prim and Proper" better describe the Grand Dame? Anyway, she will let you know when she is ready to make that journey to be with Papa. Follow her lead, like you done for many years. Give her as much love and hugs as possible (knowing you already do) Know that we are here and have walked in your shoes before. It never gets easier, it never goes away.

Love ya! Sending prayers and thoughts your way.

So tired of this computer changing my color and font midway through a post! Might have fixed it.

Oh yay, fixed it alright!

Edited by S.S. Cruisers

Awww Roz, We are so sorry to hear about Brenny. You will do the right thing when it's time. I'm lost for words big sis. Unfortunately we have all been through this and are here for you. I cry for her like she was my own. We will get you through this like you got us all through it.

Love you my friend.

Cindy