Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Cruz rose what about life jacket and sun screen? I also brought a swamp cooler coat mushers secret and boots. And do you have medicines? My vet gave me lots of stuff antibiotics cerenia for sea sickness etc.

I will ask for a child life jacket for Maddy in case the ship sinks. I don't use sun screen - too many toxins in it. We are used to the sun. We live in Florida most of the year and in Costa Rica for the rest of the year (which is only 9.4 degrees north of the equator). I carry a folding umbrella and it works just as well as a sunshade as it does for rain. If it is so hot that Maddy would need a cooling jacket and/or boots, I probably won't be able to stay out in the heat for long myself.

I am going to get some benadryl tabs though, just in case of a bee sting. Those should work for people and dogs. I also packed something for seasickness JIC. We took a Hawaiian cruise once and the trip back to Hawaii from Fanning Island in the Pacific was quite rough. Hubby was feeling a little yucky. Maddy has never gotten car sick. She has been on some pretty bumpy bus rides in Costa Rica and some rides at Disney and did fine.

Still packing and repacking. I had to resign myself to bringing a second checked bag. I will have Hubby's formal cruise clothes too. He has warm things on his wilderness adventure right now but nothing dressy. I finally finished hemming my evening gown so it is no longer a tripping hazard. I decided to bring my hiking shoes as they are waterproof and have good traction. My sneakers are ventilated and so not waterproof and not warm.

They are going to try and put Maddy's potty box in the stairwell closest to our cabin. That will be great since our cabin is only about 3 doors from the staircase.

Everything is falling into place very nicely. It's going to be a wonderful trip. Rosie

I will ask for a child life jacket for Maddy in case the ship sinks. I don't use sun screen - too many toxins in it. We are used to the sun. We live in Florida most of the year and in Costa Rica for the rest of the year (which is only 9.4 degrees north of the equator). I carry a folding umbrella and it works just as well as a sunshade as it does for rain. If it is so hot that Maddy would need a cooling jacket and/or boots, I probably won't be able to stay out in the heat for long myself.

I am going to get some benadryl tabs though, just in case of a bee sting. Those should work for people and dogs. I also packed something for seasickness JIC. We took a Hawaiian cruise once and the trip back to Hawaii from Fanning Island in the Pacific was quite rough. Hubby was feeling a little yucky. Maddy has never gotten car sick. She has been on some pretty bumpy bus rides in Costa Rica and some rides at Disney and did fine.

Still packing and repacking. I had to resign myself to bringing a second checked bag. I will have Hubby's formal cruise clothes too. He has warm things on his wilderness adventure right now but nothing dressy. I finally finished hemming my evening gown so it is no longer a tripping hazard. I decided to bring my hiking shoes as they are waterproof and have good traction. My sneakers are ventilated and so not waterproof and not warm.

They are going to try and put Maddy's potty box in the stairwell closest to our cabin. That will be great since our cabin is only about 3 doors from the staircase.

Everything is falling into place very nicely. It's going to be a wonderful trip. Rosie

The Sapphire Princess has a "Doggie Life Vest" for Maddy, just ask your cabin Steward, he/she will get it for you.

Sounds like you're pretty much done and ready.

Sitting outside Explorer's Lounge was our favorite place to meet & greet other's or to just stop and have a drink or read a good book.

Go down to deck 5 [mid-ship] and visit the International Café; we also loved to sit there and have a drink while people watching.

I purchase the Ultimate Drink Package [and get my smoothies] that I love to enjoy during my people watching time. I don't drink so it's good for "mach-tails" too!

Thanks everyone for your well wishes for John. We think that his problems he was having in April with his stone, was really the appendix. He hasn't felt this great in months.

We have also been having trouble with our van air conditioning. Took it to 2 mechanics and both told us we needed to take it to Ford. :mad: Not what we wanted to do. After they had it for 2 days, they told us 3000.00 -5000.00 to fix it!!! :eek: And thats no typo folks its actually 3-5 thousand. We were blown away. The guy who was checking it out told us to go to this air conditioning place a few towns away, that they are good at patching things up. Yadda yadda yadda 2 days later it's fixed for 500 bucks!! Whew!!! It's not guaranteed and we could develop another leak but hopefully it will last another few years. :D John has had to drive in my car so far this summer, and if anyone knows anything about quads, it's not an easy task for either of us to get him in and out. Especially in 90 degree heat.

Speaking of heat, I've had enough!! :mad: It's so hot and humid, we haven't left the house except for doctors appointment. I know all of you that live out west are getting it too. But thats dry heat. Yeah we went to Vegas one August and it was dry, dry enough to burn your face off!! I just saw on the news that Tuesday it might go down to 89!! Yipeeeee :rolleyes:

Wow! The Sapphire Princess really has a doggie life vest? They are awesome. I ordered some doggie boots for Maddy in case we go walking in the towns and the sidewalks are hot. They are the rugged ones with the recycled rubber tire soles and they should keep her pads from getting burned.

I relate to Cindy's post about the A/C in her van. Mine went out last year (I have a 2003 Santa Fe) and they wanted something like $3800 to fix it. My hubby checked around different places and found a place that tested the system to see just where the problem was. It turns out that the compressor was fine (the key here being that it was not making any noise; just no cold air coming out) and that a tube leading to the compressor had a leak. The cost to repair ( a new tube and associated hardware) was less than $600and the A/C has been running fine ever since.

Roz, I will have to look into the Ultimate drink package. We don't drink either but we do like smoothies. If it will be too many carbs, I might just have to stick with water with lemon.

My heart went out to dear Brenda when you (Roz) wrote about how exhausted she was after being with you at your spa day. Has her thyroid been checked lately? I had a 13 year old sheltie who was sleeping most of the time and gaining weight if I fed her anything. I had her thyroid checked and her values were zero. After a month on thyroid meds, she was perkier and her values were in the normal range. She lived until age 15 being her feisty self.

I have repacked my luggage again. I now have 2 checked bags; the big one sits at 50lbs. But now my carry-on will be lighter and it rolls. I just couldn't get everything I wanted in 1large bag and the carry-on. Maddy's stuff went into the rolling carry-on and I have my backpack as another carry-on plus my purse. Now I won't have to carry anything heavy in my hands. There are a few last minute things to pack so virtually I am ready. Good thing too - next week will be a busy one with other stuff including a bath for Maddy. Rosie

Beckie: I hope you, your daughter and Gibson get to do that cruise one day. It is a wonderful thing when a service dog and modern technology combine to make it possible for a disabled person to do something that a normal person takes for granted. It will be an experience she will always remember. Rosie

Well, we are packed and ready to go! Our ship leaves later today! We are all excited...but...

We are leaving from New Orleans and the Mississippi River is closed due to a boat that sunk yesterday. The coast guard is investigating. We got a message last night that said not to get to the terminal until we are notified by carnival. We have a car service lined up, there are 11 of us plus the pup. It's hot and chance of showers is very high today. Hopefully this is the worst issue we have on the trip.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes for John. We think that his problems he was having in April with his stone, was really the appendix. He hasn't felt this great in months.

We have also been having trouble with our van air conditioning. Took it to 2 mechanics and both told us we needed to take it to Ford. :mad: Not what we wanted to do. After they had it for 2 days, they told us 3000.00 -5000.00 to fix it!!! :eek: And thats no typo folks its actually 3-5 thousand. We were blown away. The guy who was checking it out told us to go to this air conditioning place a few towns away, that they are good at patching things up. Yadda yadda yadda 2 days later it's fixed for 500 bucks!! Whew!!! It's not guaranteed and we could develop another leak but hopefully it will last another few years. :D John has had to drive in my car so far this summer, and if anyone knows anything about quads, it's not an easy task for either of us to get him in and out. Especially in 90 degree heat.

Speaking of heat, I've had enough!! :mad: It's so hot and humid, we haven't left the house except for doctors appointment. I know all of you that live out west are getting it too. But thats dry heat. Yeah we went to Vegas one August and it was dry, dry enough to burn your face off!! I just saw on the news that Tuesday it might go down to 89!! Yipeeeee :rolleyes:

My air has been running 24/7...I feel for you! I'm so glad that John is feeling well, that's the way we like it!!!

Wow! The Sapphire Princess really has a doggie life vest? They are awesome. I ordered some doggie boots for Maddy in case we go walking in the towns and the sidewalks are hot. They are the rugged ones with the recycled rubber tire soles and they should keep her pads from getting burned.

I relate to Cindy's post about the A/C in her van. Mine went out last year (I have a 2003 Santa Fe) and they wanted something like $3800 to fix it. My hubby checked around different places and found a place that tested the system to see just where the problem was. It turns out that the compressor was fine (the key here being that it was not making any noise; just no cold air coming out) and that a tube leading to the compressor had a leak. The cost to repair ( a new tube and associated hardware) was less than $600and the A/C has been running fine ever since.

Roz, I will have to look into the Ultimate drink package. We don't drink either but we do like smoothies. If it will be too many carbs, I might just have to stick with water with lemon.

My heart went out to dear Brenda when you (Roz) wrote about how exhausted she was after being with you at your spa day. Has her thyroid been checked lately? I had a 13 year old sheltie who was sleeping most of the time and gaining weight if I fed her anything. I had her thyroid checked and her values were zero. After a month on thyroid meds, she was perkier and her values were in the normal range. She lived until age 15 being her feisty self.

I found that the Ultimate Drink Pkg. paid for itself in just a few days.

Brenda's health, thank goodness, is fine. She's a "senior" and is doing very well for a dog her size and age. And, I don't expect more than what's she's doing right now! It's just difficult to watch. I would NEVER put her through unnecessary testing.

They are busing us from New Orleans to Mobile tomorrow. Key West has been cut from the itinerary. That is what we were looking forward to the most. :(

Oh! No! I hope the rest of your cruise is unaffected. We are at the discretion of the ocean and the weather when we cruise.

Tell us how the rest of your cruise vacation went.

They are busing us from New Orleans to Mobile tomorrow. Key West has been cut from the itinerary. That is what we were looking forward to the most. :(

Sorry to hear that your Key West port got cut. I hope your cruise gets off the ground (or out of the dock) tomorrow in Mobile. Will you be compensated for losing 1 day of your cruise? I am not sure how that works. Lots of warm wishes for a great cruise. I hope the weather holds out. I'm watching some stuff going on in the Atlantic right now and wondering if any of it will turn into anything.

We are on board. Potty box was put on our balcony and has been christened. Wish us luck! It looks like the storm should be over the Bahamas Friday. I think we are there Wednesday and Thursday. I have my days all mixed up right now.

We are on board. Potty box was put on our balcony and has been christened. Wish us luck! It looks like the storm should be over the Bahamas Friday. I think we are there Wednesday and Thursday. I have my days all mixed up right now.

Yippee! I glad you all finally made it onboard. Here's hoping that the storm stays away from where you are supposed to go. Have a great cruise. Rosie

Does a person need these items if the dog will not get off the ship in cozumel?

The paperwork for traveling to Mexico is:

1. Current Service License from an accredidated organization

(this should include Tattoo number/chip etc.) Some have a picture of you and your dog, some do not.

2. City License (current) within the year

3. ADA info. Usually on back of service license. Some don't have it.

4. Vaccination Status (from Vet.) Must be current on Rabies/DHLPP(tag #/Serial # and type of vaccine will be on the form.)

(the Vet form will state expiration dates on these vacc. This form should also mention Heartguard use and Advantix (whichever you use for flea and ticks). MAKE SURE YOUR WELL WITHIN THE EXP. DATES.

5. NCL requires a Dept. of Food and Agriculture form. A visit to your vet will get you this. (He/she has the forms.)

So glad John is feeling much better :). We've been having it hot here as well - this is just not normal for us at all! But not as hot as you guys have been having!

On a happier note, Maddy's bag is packed - paperwork, food, dishes, water bottle, lemon scented pick-up bags, towel, treats, extra leash, a new Holly Roller ball, supplements, a doggy raincoat, brush, comb, toothpaste, toothbrush and herbal insect repellent. Have I forgotten anything? It's almost like traveling with a baby sans the diapers. I left the open bag on the bed for a few moments and La Ayla (my granddaughter's diabetic alert dog) got into it. She pulled out the new Holly Roller ball and the new bag of treats to claim for her own. Naughty dog! I had to laugh at her. Luckily she didn't have time to open the bag of treats. La Ayla has to stay at the kennel while I am gone. I hope she will like meeting the new dogs there. Rosie

Just wanted to wish you and Maddy (and the DH of course! ;)) a fabulous cruise - I'm looking forward to reading your "tails" when you come home! :)

Just wanted to say hello to all of you. I love reading your posts each day as they pop up in my email! This keeps my hopes up that some day my daughter and her service dog Gibson will be up to trying a cruise. (She just got a Trilogy ventilator that makes her more portable instead of being stuck in her room attached to the Bi-Pap machine.)

Last Friday she was the guest speaker at Paws for Freedom's service dog/recipient graduation program. Although her energy is seriously limited due to mitochondrial disease she was able to deliver her part of the program successfully. If any of you would like to view her delivery it is posted on YouTube as Once Upon a Service Dog. I had camera duties that night and have no skills, so it is a bit wobbly at times.

Thank you all for the joy you bring in this forum! Beckie

Beckie - I just watched your daughter Diana and Gibson give their presentation - well not much presenting from the big boy! LOL! I'm sure with Diana's great positive attitude and with Gibson by her side, that cruise won't be too far away. :)

Thanks for sharing and here is the link for anyone else who wants to view the clip :). http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ1lVICQYsk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DiZ1lVICQYsk.

Does a person need these items if the dog will not get off the ship in cozumel?

The paperwork for traveling to Mexico is:

1. Current Service License from an accredidated organization

(this should include Tattoo number/chip etc.) Some have a picture of you and your dog, some do not.

2. City License (current) within the year

3. ADA info. Usually on back of service license. Some don't have it.

4. Vaccination Status (from Vet.) Must be current on Rabies/DHLPP(tag #/Serial # and type of vaccine will be on the form.)

(the Vet form will state expiration dates on these vacc. This form should also mention Heartguard use and Advantix (whichever you use for flea and ticks). MAKE SURE YOUR WELL WITHIN THE EXP. DATES.

5. NCL requires a Dept. of Food and Agriculture form. A visit to your vet will get you this. (He/she has the forms.)

In order for you to get your Service Dog onboard a cruise ship the above will be required from your Vet. [as far as the vaccinations are concerned, at the least]. I hope the ship asks for some sort of accredidation about your dogs training and city licensing.

I want to see the cruiselines being strict and restrictive to those that may try to bring their pets onboard.

RCCL sent me a one page form stating sign the acknowledgment and bring the form and required documents to the pier. The form never mentioned what types of documents are required.

You get the "form" from your Vet, it's called: United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service - United States Interstate and Internatinal Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals - This form will ask for all the necessary information about the dog, and will be signed by your Vet.

Along with this form you should have a copy of the dogs last visit with the Vet, which will talk about the condition of the dogs fur/freedom from all pest & parasites and his Vaccination status.

A copy of his training certificate or Service License from the Org. who trained him.

The more complete your dogs paperwork the better!

Edited by wizard-of-roz