Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I will keep my eyes peeled for him. I would be more than happy to introduce him to Orson. Oh yeah...to my family too. :o

I meant you (and your family of course) by "cyber doggy pals"! :p In that you are all my cyber "doggy" pals as opposed to cyber "doggy pals" I.e. you are my cyber pals with dogs, not just the dogs who are cyber pals - but the dogs would of course be my pals as well .... Confused? I am, but you know what I mean! LOL!

Anyway I do hope you manage to meet up! :D

Brenda is going to "Doggie-DayCare" tomorrow at "Waggin Tails Lounge." She'll be able to play in the wading pool or play tennis ball catch & throw or butt sniffing or face licking or napping or "where's my mom" or "get me outta here!" or "where's my couch?"

I'll let you know how it goes. I can drop her off at 7:30am and pick her up at 6:00.

I hope she likes it! We'll see! :confused:

I meant you (and your family of course) by "cyber doggy pals"! :p In that you are all my cyber "doggy" pals as opposed to cyber "doggy pals" I.e. you are my cyber pals with dogs, not just the dogs who are cyber pals - but the dogs would of course be my pals as well .... Confused? I am, but you know what I mean! LOL!

Anyway I do hope you manage to meet up! :D

Oh! Honey! You need another cruise!!! :p ;)

Brenda is going to "Doggie-DayCare" tomorrow at "Waggin Tails Lounge." She'll be able to play in the wading pool or play tennis ball catch & throw or butt sniffing or face licking or napping or "where's my mom" or "get me outta here!" or "where's my couch?"

I'll let you know how it goes. I can drop her off at 7:30am and pick her up at 6:00.

Except for the butt sniffing, sign me up!! :D

I take my service dog to Disney as well as on Princess and now NCL cruise. It is really easy. If you took your wonderful dog you would be glad you did. I have also never had trouble taking her off the ship with me. Everyone needs to step up and everyone needs to allow for service animals. They will help you help her. The one place where the rules are not to allow dogs off the ship is Hawaii. I did not take my Fergie off the ship in Hawaii. They have a 30 day policy. I am not sure about the ADA law and if they can do that legally with a service animal but I didn't fight it or complain or check with attorney I just kept her on board. I am gong to Canada and Alaska in a couple of weeks and I just got on line and looked to see what the rules were for Canada and Alaska. It was easy and they only need rabies shot records signed by vet. I went to vet, he gave to me. Done. You really should not be made to feel like its a hassle to have a disability and not be able to have what you need. That is the point of the ADA (1990). Take your dog, you will be glad you did. The cruise ship put a potty spot out for you. At Princess it was in a employee only area and was perfect. Easy walk, private, Fergie loved it. Good luck!

I take my service dog to Disney as well as on Princess and now NCL cruise. It is really easy. If you took your wonderful dog you would be glad you did. I have also never had trouble taking her off the ship with me. Everyone needs to step up and everyone needs to allow for service animals. They will help you help her. The one place where the rules are not to allow dogs off the ship is Hawaii. I did not take my Fergie off the ship in Hawaii. They have a 30 day policy. I am not sure about the ADA law and if they can do that legally with a service animal but I didn't fight it or complain or check with attorney I just kept her on board. I am gong to Canada and Alaska in a couple of weeks and I just got on line and looked to see what the rules were for Canada and Alaska. It was easy and they only need rabies shot records signed by vet. I went to vet, he gave to me. Done. You really should not be made to feel like its a hassle to have a disability and not be able to have what you need. That is the point of the ADA (1990). Take your dog, you will be glad you did. The cruise ship put a potty spot out for you. At Princess it was in a employee only area and was perfect. Easy walk, private, Fergie loved it. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your insights. And, your encouragement to all of those out there who are reading this and have been hesitant to travel and especially cruise with their dogs......I love your positive attitude!

Welcome to our world!

How many cruises has Fergie been on?

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Can we at least change the position of the 2 in red? Then I'm in! :D

I can't see how Hawaii can stop someone from taking a service dog off the ship. The last time I checked, Hawaii was part of the United States and therefore has to follow the ADA. This I will have to check into. :confused:

Hi everyone, we got back on saturday and it was not a good experience. I was on deck nine in a junior suite with a balcony. The toilet box was on deck 4 on the opposite side of the ship. It smelled terribly at the start of the cruise- another dog was on the previous cruise and I don't think they washed the box- just probably emptied it. It took fifteen minutes to go down five decks and across the ship. The mulch often got wet and one day it was sopping from the washing of the deck. They did not have more mulch to replace it. No one ever emptied the can where I was supposed to put the poop. The second day the doors were locked due to windy conditions and I had to go through the dining room and get a staff member to let me out to where the toilet was. During one of our visits, the toilet box had been removed with no one telling me "due to the windy" conditions. I begged to have the box placed on my balcony but was told this was not possible.

I would like to know - where has the box been for all of you on cruises? five decks away on the opposite side? has anyone had a box completely taken away or doors to the decks locked during their cruise? Please let me know. It was a very unpleasant experience. Thanks!

Can we at least change the position of the 2 in red? Then I'm in! :D

OMG! That's the funniest yet!!!!! :p

Well, I dropped Brenda off at DoggieDayCare this morning. There was a Labradoodle who wouldn't leave her alone [he was easily twice her size], he wanted her to play with him and he wanted her attention. Brenda wasn't having any of it. She wanted out and I knew I had to leave or I'd just take her out and never give her a chance to socialize.

I went to my office, which is about 6 blocks from where she was. I waited an hour and called. They said she was doing good. She was examing every corner, walking into and out of the wading pool and laying in the sun a bit. They said she seemed okay, not hanging with the dogs but mostly observing them.

I'll see how it goes today. As long as she's happy, I'm happy!!!

Hopefully, this will be my "go-to" place if she seems unhappy being home alone.

Brenda gave me so much of herself and made my life so much better, I OWE HER!!!!!!

OMG! That's the funniest yet!!!!! :p

Well, I dropped Brenda off at DoggieDayCare this morning. There was a Labradoodle who wouldn't leave her alone [he was easily twice her size], he wanted her to play with him and he wanted her attention. Brenda wasn't having any of it. She wanted out and I knew I had to leave or I'd just take her out and never give her a chance to socialize.

I went to my office, which is about 6 blocks from where she was. I waited an hour and called. They said she was doing good. She was examing every corner, walking into and out of the wading pool and laying in the sun a bit. They said she seemed okay, not hanging with the dogs but mostly observing them.

I'll see how it goes today. As long as she's happy, I'm happy!!!

Hopefully, this will be my "go-to" place if she seems unhappy being home alone.

Brenda gave me so much of herself and made my life so much better, I OWE HER!!!!!!

Well it sounds like a really nice place you've found for La Brenda - sounds like a "day spa" what with the pool and sunning herself. You've said before she likes to observe and it sounds she was doing exactly what she liked to do! Sounds like me on a cruise! ;) :D

Hope she did enjoy her day and let us know - we do worry so about our furry pals - I am not going down the "doggy pals" route again!! LOL!

DKD - are you all packed and ready and raring to go? :)

I picked her up at 3:30 about 1 1/2 hours before I was going to......I couldn't stand it. I walked in, I looked into the "big dog" area and she was laying down in a corner, her big dog friend was laying in the opposite corner. The room was clean and cool [it was 98 degrees outside!] Everybody looked calm, cool and very happy. I couldn't be more pleased. It seemed to go very well.

We will definitely do this again. I made an appointment for both dogs to be groomed next Wednesday and that will give her a chance to have another day in the "spa!"

Thanks guys for listening and for all your input.

This is my life now and I must say with these two wonderful dogs to keep me busy on a daily basis [along with my full-time job], I'll be okay!

Hi everyone, we got back on saturday and it was not a good experience. I was on deck nine in a junior suite with a balcony. The toilet box was on deck 4 on the opposite side of the ship. It smelled terribly at the start of the cruise- another dog was on the previous cruise and I don't think they washed the box- just probably emptied it. It took fifteen minutes to go down five decks and across the ship. The mulch often got wet and one day it was sopping from the washing of the deck. They did not have more mulch to replace it. No one ever emptied the can where I was supposed to put the poop. The second day the doors were locked due to windy conditions and I had to go through the dining room and get a staff member to let me out to where the toilet was. During one of our visits, the toilet box had been removed with no one telling me "due to the windy" conditions. I begged to have the box placed on my balcony but was told this was not possible.

I would like to know - where has the box been for all of you on cruises? five decks away on the opposite side? has anyone had a box completely taken away or doors to the decks locked during their cruise? Please let me know. It was a very unpleasant experience. Thanks!

So sorry they ship was not more accommodating. I don't know of any ship that allows the box to be placed on a balcony. Chilli has gone on one cruise with me. The box was also located several decks up (lido deck). What cruise line did you take? Your experience will help others.

I picked her up at 3:30 about 1 1/2 hours before I was going to......I couldn't stand it. I walked in, I looked into the "big dog" area and she was laying down in a corner, her big dog friend was laying in the opposite corner. The room was clean and cool [it was 98 degrees outside!] Everybody looked calm, cool and very happy. I couldn't be more pleased. It seemed to go very well.

We will definitely do this again. I made an appointment for both dogs to be groomed next Wednesday and that will give her a chance to have another day in the "spa!"

Thanks guys for listening and for all your input.

This is my life now and I must say with these two wonderful dogs to keep me busy on a daily basis [along with my full-time job], I'll be okay!

Sounds like Ms B had a lovely day - now we just need to work on Mama Roz to worry less, but that will never happen! ;):). Seems like she sorted out big boy Labradoodle as well to her way of relaxed thinking! I like her style!

Roz, you will be okay! and you're doing great for those dogs.:)

Just wondering how close you are to Las Vegas?

I was so sad and angry to read your post. I do not have a service dog Iris99, but can only imagine your sheer frustration at this series of events - it was not good enough. I hope you will be taking it up with the cruise line.

fairbourne... we've gone as far as take the luggage out of the closet and put a few things next to it. We won't pack till Saturday.

TeeChi...Disney Cruise puts the potty on our balcony every time. It's a kiddie pool filled with thick sod.

I'm excited for you DKD! :D I would go back to Alaska in a heartbeat. Have a fabulous time! :D

I'm on the soapbox today! - I don't understand why cruise lines couldn't be more accommodating with the potty box - it's not like these dogs aren't trained to use one - and a balcony could be scrubbed and sanitised after the dog leaves surely? I do understand weather/winds could be an issue of course. Or put the box close, at least on the SAME deck as your cabin - it seems to me that every deck would have some sort of cubby hole or outside space that could be used.

Disney put the potty box on our balcony the first time. We had a handicapped room on the back of the ship so it was big enough. For our Alaska trip, the box was also at the back of the ship but one deck up from us. It was in an area that was locked part of the day but they gave us a key. We had to put down a $50 deposit to get it. I know they shouldn't have done that, but we had some issues with it getting it set up to start with so I didn't feel like arguing any more. We made it work.

Have a "wonder"ful trip. I too would go back to Alaska in a heartbeat!

OK cruisers, general question about packing lists. My very comprehensive one has gone into cyberspace. Somehow I think a 2005 version got saved over my most recent.

I have a good non-cruising list. I am looking for items that you use that I might be forgetting that are more "cruise specific" to make the trip smoother. I have meds, suncreeen, etc. I'm thinking things like the over the door shoe hanger, clothes pins, ziplocks, extension cord/adapters, and a small hamper, laundry detergent (all of which are on my new cruise list). Can you think of anything else that has been helpful?

The cruise leaves in 10 days! 6 more days until we leave for New Orleans. The packing pressure is on!

I can't see how Hawaii can stop someone from taking a service dog off the ship. The last time I checked, Hawaii was part of the United States and therefore has to follow the ADA. This I will have to check into. :confused:

Hawaii still has a quarantine law in place. Dogs coming in from another state can be asked to remain crated until they pass every and all health inspections. Dogs coming in via a cruiseline with all paperwork, including a rabies titer, are exempt.

It's not as if Hawaii can be reach by car [from state to state.] Although it's part of the U.S., it's laws are a bit different.

It's all because Hawaii has NO reported cases of rabies and wants to keep it that way.

Iris, I'm so sorry I didn't respond to your "mess" of a cruise experience sooner and went on about my dogs and their "spa" day. I didn't see your post until TeeChi responded to it.

What ship were you on?

Cruiselines will no longer place the pottybox on your veranda [too many complaints from fellow passengers.] Some sloppy handlers did NOT pick up the solid waste and the wind would carry the smell to other cabins. I wouldn't like this either!!!!!

I ALWAYS have the box placed in a rear [aft] stairwell. The stairwells are only used in an emergency; they're always very spacious; they're out of the way of the public; they're not washed down like decks are and, they're NEVER LOCKED!!!! When I board the ship I ALWAYS ask for an extra bag of filler to be placed by the box, so that I can refill it as I need to.

I would ask my steward or the Hotel Manager to have the entire litter replaced if it smelled upon my arrival.

If you do all of this before the ship disembarks it gives the crew a chance to go off the ship and buy more "filler", clean the box, etc. etc., with NO excuses.

I have heard horror stories of people being locked out of the room where the box was placed and, when I first started cruising with my dog, the ship used to put the box in the most "out of the way" place and I'd have to trek miles to get to it. Brenda had an accident ONCE in her life and that was onboard the Diamond Princess because some moron removed the pottybox and we couldn't find it on Deck 7.

I ALWAYS book a cabin near the rear of the ship [because I know that's where the best stairwells are.] I INSIST that the box be placed IN THE STAIRWELL by making a phone call to the "Special Needs/Access" department of my ship a few days before I board. They will email or call the ship's Hotel Manager and make sure everything is in place prior to your boarding.

The only problem with using the stairwell is if you are in a wheelchair and have no assistance with the dog going potty.....the door is extremely heavy and there is a slight step-up and down!

Please don't give-up on cruising with your dog. It's all in the approach and the right phone call before you board.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Sounds like Ms B had a lovely day - now we just need to work on Mama Roz to worry less, but that will never happen! ;):). Seems like she sorted out big boy Labradoodle as well to her way of relaxed thinking! I like her style!

Roz, you will be okay! and you're doing great for those dogs.:)

Just wondering how close you are to Las Vegas?

You're right about the "worry" thing. I do stress about Miss "B" and her comfort, as well as Mr. "H". I was the same way with the kids and of course Morey. It's who I am. If you're in my life I fret about you.....it's who I am.

I'm 290 miles away from Vegas, the drive is an easy one. We used to go twice a year, every year. Neither one of us were gamblers....we just love the people watching, the shows, the food and the ambiance.

Then we discovered cruising and that became our "fun". When it's right I'd like to go back to Vegas just for the fun of it. Want to come along?

You're right about the "worry" thing. I do stress about Miss "B" and her comfort, as well as Mr. "H". I was the same way with the kids and of course Morey. It's who I am. If you're in my life I fret about you.....it's who I am.

I'm 290 miles away from Vegas, the drive is an easy one. We used to go twice a year, every year. Neither one of us were gamblers....we just love the people watching, the shows, the food and the ambiance.

Then we discovered cruising and that became our "fun". When it's right I'd like to go back to Vegas just for the fun of it. Want to come along?

Yes! I was going to ask you the same thing!! Well Roz, we are heading to LV for a couple of nights later this year and I just wondered if you were not too far away, we could, maybe, just, well maybe meet up??? Now that would be a day to look forward to!!!:D. We are not gamblers either but it has long been a dream of my DH to go there, so plans have been made! What d'ya think??? :eek:

Iris, I'm so sorry I didn't respond to your "mess" of a cruise experience sooner and went on about my dogs and their "spa" day. I didn't see your post until TeeChi responded to it.

What ship were you on?

Cruiselines will no longer place the pottybox on your veranda [too many complaints from fellow passengers.] Some sloppy handlers did NOT pick up the solid waste and the wind would carry the smell to other cabins. I wouldn't like this either!!!!!

I ALWAYS have the box placed in a rear [aft] stairwell. The stairwells are only used in an emergency; they're always very spacious; they're out of the way of the public; they're not washed down like decks are and, they're NEVER LOCKED!!!! When I board the ship I ALWAYS ask for an extra bag of filler to be placed by the box, so that I can refill it as I need to.

I would ask my steward or the Hotel Manager to have the entire litter replaced if it smelled upon my arrival.

If you do all of this before the ship disembarks it gives the crew a chance to go off the ship and buy more "filler", clean the box, etc. etc., with NO excuses.

I have heard horror stories of people being locked out of the room where the box was placed and, when I first started cruising with my dog, the ship used to put the box in the most "out of the way" place and I'd have to trek miles to get to it. Brenda had an accident ONCE in her life and that was onboard the Diamond Princess because some moron removed the pottybox and we couldn't find it on Deck 7.

I ALWAYS book a cabin near the rear of the ship [because I know that's where the best stairwells are.] I INSIST that the box be placed IN THE STAIRWELL by making a phone call to the "Special Needs/Access" department of my ship a few days before I board. They will email or call the ship's Hotel Manager and make sure everything is in place prior to your boarding.

The only problem with using the stairwell is if you are in a wheelchair and have no assistance with the dog going potty.....the door is extremely heavy and there is a slight step-up and down!

Please don't give-up on cruising with your dog. It's all in the approach and the right phone call before you board.

I just called Disney Cruise Line to confirm that Orson's "potty box" will be placed on our balcony. They confirmed that it will indeed be there. :D