Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Oh that's too funny Roz ..... I wonder how the accent sounded, it was probably as interesting as my American one! LOL!

Well our dogs have gone to their hotel today - ran in all excited! and we are heading off on our cruise ..... I'm sorry DKD but we will be in Alaska before you!!! :D first time there, so very excited!

DKD, I think one of my DH's colleagues and his family may be on your cruise! He couldn't remember which Disney ship he was on, but he is sailing early July so I think it may be the ship you are on, so he has been told to look out for Orsen! :)

Have a great cruise!!!!!!!

Thank you all for your good Bon voyage wishes! :)

Roz, yes we are doing the White Pass railway, I love rail travel and don't often get the chance, so this will be a great indulgence! :D

Sending you all big hugs, as I think everyone needs a hug!:)

I will be back ..... With news from Alaska! :D

PS I met the most delightful black pug yesterday - he fitted in the palm of my hand and showered me with puppy kisses, what a clever boy and only 8 weeks old! :D I want a small dog now, but not sure how the two big galumphs would handle it! :eek:

Some bad news from our area today. Our nephew and his wife lost their twin girls last night. I'm not sure of all the details, but one twin was taking all the nourishment and the other was getting none. She was 5 months pregnant. Please include them in your prayers tonight. :( We are devastated by this loss.

Cindy

Cindy---I am so sorry to hear about the loss of the twins. My sympathy to the parents and all the family. The twins will be in the hands of the angels.

Thanks all for your thoughts and prayers.

The weather has been horrible here. 90's and humid for 4 days. Finally some rain today and relief for tomorrow. We had a grad party, I stayed in the house with Wex and John sat in the heat with ice cubes in his hat! :eek:

Thanks all for your thoughts and prayers.

The weather has been horrible here. 90's and humid for 4 days. Finally some rain today and relief for tomorrow. We had a grad party, I stayed in the house with Wex and John sat in the heat with ice cubes in his hat! :eek:

Back in the day the old timers used to put a cabbage leaf in their hats to keep cool.

Oh that's too funny Roz ..... I wonder how the accent sounded, it was probably as interesting as my American one! LOL!

Well our dogs have gone to their hotel today - ran in all excited! and we are heading off on our cruise ..... I'm sorry DKD but we will be in Alaska before you!!! :D first time there, so very excited!

DKD, I think one of my DH's colleagues and his family may be on your cruise! He couldn't remember which Disney ship he was on, but he is sailing early July so I think it may be the ship you are on, so he has been told to look out for Orsen! :)

If he's going to Alaska he can only be on the Wonder. We are pretty easy to spot. The dog is a dead give-away. :D

Ice cubes and cabbage leaves....it's so Morey! He had all sorts of remedies for heat/cold/snow, etc., etc. I'm going to miss his clever ways and great ideas.

Whatever one does to keep cool in humidity [other than my idea of standing, directly in front of the freezer, with the door open!] That and keeping the central air conditioning running 24/7.....we blondes don't like to sweat!!!!! ;) :rolleyes:

Luckily the weather has changed today. It's 70's and no humidity!!! :D Just perfect.

I have never heard of putting cabbage on your head. :confused: Not sure what it actually does.

Flights came out over the weekend. You can only book until Feb 12th which is in the middle of our cruise. I was thinking of booking one way for now. It's 170.00 for one way to Florida. The weekend before we go is only 127.00. Thats a big difference. Not sure why it's so much more. So now I'm waiting to see if it goes down.

Edited by rangeley

Luckily the weather has changed today. It's 70's and no humidity!!! :D Just perfect.

I have never heard of putting cabbage on your head. :confused: Not sure what it actually does.

Flights came out over the weekend. You can only book until Feb 12th which is in the middle of our cruise. I was thinking of booking one way for now. It's 170.00 for one way to Florida. The weekend before we go is only 127.00. Thats a big difference. Not sure why it's so much more. So now I'm waiting to see if it goes down.

How does Wex do on airplanes? He, like Horton, has huge legs, where do you lay him for his comfort? Brenda has so much shorter legs and she can literally turn into a "pill bug" and look very small, unti she unwinds!

I want to try and do New York in the fall and the 5 hour flight might be a lot for my "long-legged boy!"

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Cindy, another question for you. Remember the Tux that you sent to Horton for his first cruise.....well, folks are noticing it on Facebook and they want to know where they can buy it. The comment is, "I've seen a lot of tux collars for dogs but this is the nicest I've seen!"

Cindy, can I give out your email address to this gal from CCI Santa Rosa, who wants one for her Service Dog?

Edited by wizard-of-roz

How does Wex do on airplanes? He, like Horton, has huge legs, where do you lay him for his comfort? Brenda has so much shorter legs and she can literally turn into a "pill bug" and look very small, unti she unwinds!

I want to try and do New York in the fall and the 5 hour flight might be a lot for my "long-legged boy!"

They might allow you to have the bulkhead seat because of the dog. Then there is plenty of room.

They might allow you to have the bulkhead seat because of the dog. Then there is plenty of room.

Even with bulkhead Horton would have to take-up the seat next to me [floor space]....there's no way he can lay in front of my legs/feet and not have his legs/paws dangling out into the aisle or the floor space/seat next to us.

Brenda used to be able to curl-up at my feet and I would strattle my legs on both sides of her......but even legs/paws would lay into the aisle when she would stretch out......Horton's going to literally hang into the aisle and cross-over to the seats across the aisle. And Brenda could "NEVER" fit under my seat [although Horton's head probably could but that's it!]

Even with bulkhead Horton would have to take-up the seat next to me [floor space]....there's no way he can lay in front of my legs/feet and not have his legs/paws dangling out into the aisle or the floor space/seat next to us.

Brenda used to be able to curl-up at my feet and I would strattle my legs on both sides of her......but even legs/paws would lay into the aisle when she would stretch out......Horton's going to literally hang into the aisle and cross-over to the seats across the aisle. And Brenda could "NEVER" fit under my seat [although Horton's head probably could but that's it!]

So your just going to have to take two friends along on the flight so nobody will mind Horton laying in front of them. Just find to short friends to vacation with. :D

So your just going to have to take two friends along on the flight so nobody will mind Horton laying in front of them. Just find to short friends to vacation with. :D

I know......I'll make the suggestion to Amy & Matt Rolloff.....I love them and have always wanted to travel with them and they love dogs......Perfect!

Hoping one of you experienced guys can just state your packing list. I am going on a nine day cruise to the caribean- leaving next week.

So far I have a life jacket, boots and socks, musher's secret, cooling coat, food and water bowls, kibble, missing link, fish oil, probiotic, balls, chew toys, blanket, brush, poop bags, toothpaste, toothbrush.

Just had his nails dremelled.

Anyone think of anything that I am forgetting. You guys will laugh at this, but I ordered a water package for him too. On my last cruise my dog got a bit sick and I worry that it was the water.

Thank you so much.

Roz, we usually fly southwest and Ollie sits in the bulkhead (usually). They have been very accommodating moving others to make that happen. Ollie is pretty big and can curl up under the seat if he has to. We have 2 kids usually one of them sit with my husband so the dog has a little more room. Unfortunately, one kid has passed me up and I'm only a head taller than the other one. The days with the kids having the shortest legs are numbered!

Iris, I think your list is pretty complete. Boots are a must. Maybe a bandana? I have a standard packing list. I'm mentally packing already, figuring out what we are going to take and what I may need to pick up. We are about a month out from our trip.

Hoping one of you experienced guys can just state your packing list. I am going on a nine day cruise to the caribean- leaving next week.

So far I have a life jacket, boots and socks, musher's secret, cooling coat, food and water bowls, kibble, missing link, fish oil, probiotic, balls, chew toys, blanket, brush, poop bags, toothpaste, toothbrush.

Just had his nails dremelled.

Anyone think of anything that I am forgetting. You guys will laugh at this, but I ordered a water package for him too. On my last cruise my dog got a bit sick and I worry that it was the water.

Thank you so much.

Iris, your list is good. If your dog likes rice cakes [they make for a good & healthy snack] or Virbac chews, I like them best because I know I won't have a "choking" emergency to worry about. Please, everyone, remember that Nyla Bones can cause more than just dental problems for our dogs......they can be inadvertently ingested and can cause some very serious bowel obstructions or even rip & tear problems in the intestines.

I doubt very much if the potable water onboard a cruise ship caused your dogs stomach problems. It's more filtered than our best filtered water at home.

Don't forget a tennis ball or two [if you find an empty lounge it's a great place to throw the ball if it's too hot & humid outside.]

Have a wonderful cruise.

Roz, we usually fly southwest and Ollie sits in the bulkhead (usually). They have been very accommodating moving others to make that happen. Ollie is pretty big and can curl up under the seat if he has to. We have 2 kids usually one of them sit with my husband so the dog has a little more room. Unfortunately, one kid has passed me up and I'm only a head taller than the other one. The days with the kids having the shortest legs are numbered!

Iris, I think your list is pretty complete. Boots are a must. Maybe a bandana? I have a standard packing list. I'm mentally packing already, figuring out what we are going to take and what I may need to pick up. We are about a month out from our trip.

I do like Southwest but I'm afraid Horton's legs need at least a "two seat minimum" when it comes to laying down. And, I've seen him roll-up pretty good but those legs need to be stretched occasionally and when he gets up to stretch - look out!!!!! Great Dane anyone!!!!

Like DKD said, we always get the bulkhead seat. Mostly because John is handicapped, they usually reserve for hp and elderly that take wheelchairs onto the plane.

Ummmm New York??? Whats wrong with Boston?? :mad: If your butt is coming east, we better see you!!

Cindy, another question for you. Remember the Tux that you sent to Horton for his first cruise.....well, folks are noticing it on Facebook and they want to know where they can buy it. The comment is, "I've seen a lot of tux collars for dogs but this is the nicest I've seen!"

Cindy, can I give out your email address to this gal from CCI Santa Rosa, who wants one for her Service Dog?

Unfortunately they can't buy one. Our puppy raisers make them. I have asked for a new one right now, but I don't think they are making them like they used to. She said we should have it before our Feb cruise. I think her and her daughter used to make alot of them for charity but now that the daughter is in college they haven't been doing it.

Unfortunately they can't buy one. Our puppy raisers make them. I have asked for a new one right now, but I don't think they are making them like they used to. She said we should have it before our Feb cruise. I think her and her daughter used to make alot of them for charity but now that the daughter is in college they haven't been doing it.

Too bad.....she could make a lot of money from CCI folks who just love them.....